BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

What do you use to clean/condition your leather?

Looking for suggestions.

I've seen this product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4Y3DC6/

And this brand:
https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...dp/B00K18JVQK/

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...dp/B06X967M5P/

Both listed by users here in the forum.

This kit is recommended by Hancock and Moore for leather care, I use it on our leather furniture:
https://www.damagedleathersolutions....ction-care-kit

Any comments/suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
I use stuff from Griots, Adams Polishes, Lexol etc all offer different benefits. Griots smells the best of those hands down while still conditioning the leather without leaving it greasy

I normally condition/clean all leather once a week or on an as needed basis.

edit: below is a picture of my X3's passe her seat in Cognac Veransca after about a year. The white paper is to show the true color since I took this picture for another reason.
Attached Images

2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I love the Zaino leather conditioner. It smells AMAZING!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I love the Zaino leather conditioner. It smells AMAZING!!!!
link? I'll give it a try. I probably have $1k worth of car care products and I'm always open to trying new things. Many of the ones I own are things I tried/didn't like or did like and bought in bulk.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like Z-9 cleans and Z-10 protects.

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-9.html

http://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've used Leatherique for years, very happy with this product.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Another vote for Zaino, Z9 and Z10, easy to work with, even will remove ball point pen from leather (because I have had to on ivory), smells amazing - been using it for over 10 years, still have my 2008 E93 only ever used Zaino on it and leather is like new. The other stuff you listed (Adams Griots) also is good stuff and certainly there are many brands that work well. Gyeon is a bit different, they do a nano coating to protect the leather, so different than a conditioner.

I would avoid anything you can buy at the local auto parts store is my advice and someone mentioned Lexol which I also don't like, very greasy, takes a lot of product - used it 15 years ago and will never go back, many better choices in my book these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
Another vote for Zaino, Z9 and Z10, easy to work with, even will remove ball point pen from leather (because I have had to on ivory), smells amazing - been using it for over 10 years, still have my 2008 E93 only ever used Zaino on it and leather is like new. The other stuff you listed (Adams Griots) also is good stuff and certainly there are many brands that work well. Gyeon is a bit different, they do a nano coating to protect the leather, so different than a conditioner.

I would avoid anything you can buy at the local auto parts store is my advice and someone mentioned Lexol which I also don't like, very greasy, takes a lot of product - used it 15 years ago and will never go back, many better choices in my book these days.
Thanks, I think I'll order the Zaino and try it. Do you think the Gyeon protector would be additive to the process, providing additional protection, or overkill?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Thanks, I think I'll order the Zaino and try it. Do you think the Gyeon protector would be additive to the process, providing additional protection, or overkill?
I think it could be additive but you may want to use their products fully if you intend to use their leather barrier to be safe. I actually use the Zaino products on my C63, but since it is ivory and has a lot of color transfer from jeans, I also use Leather Masters Leather Barrier on top of it to help with the jean transfer, the Gyeon stuff would also help with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

I bought Sonax for our X5 based on a recommendation here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meguiar's G190719 Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner is excellent at removing those pesky glass films. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And some how we got two 32 oz. bottles of Optimum (CW2006Q) Car Wash - 32 oz. for $15! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Since we are talking “auto detailing” what are you all using to keep your paint nice and shiny? I ceramic coated my paint right after I got it, now I’m looking for opinions on maintenance products just for looks. .

I’m thinking about topping the ceramic coat with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and using Adams or AquaWax as a spray detailer... thoughts!!

Also, what about on the tires? I want a nice gloss that doesn’t sling. (Maybe I should start a new thread...)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

More Shine Less Time aerosol by Stoner

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #13
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
Since we are talking “auto detailing” what are you all using to keep your paint nice and shiny? I ceramic coated my paint right after I got it, now I’m looking for opinions on maintenance products just for looks. .

I’m thinking about topping the ceramic coat with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and using Adams or AquaWax as a spray detailer... thoughts!!

Also, what about on the tires? I want a nice gloss that doesn’t sling. (Maybe I should start a new thread...)
I also ceramic coated mine. I use optimum no rinse to wash weekly and once a month use optimum hyper seal as a drying aid and add that extra gloss and seal. I use chemical guys VRP for the tires
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by puraj83 View Post
Quote:
Since we are talking "auto detailing" what are you all using to keep your paint nice and shiny? I ceramic coated my paint right after I got it, now I'm looking for opinions on maintenance products just for looks. .

I'm thinking about topping the ceramic coat with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and using Adams or AquaWax as a spray detailer... thoughts!!

Also, what about on the tires? I want a nice gloss that doesn't sling. (Maybe I should start a new thread...)
I also ceramic coated mine. I use optimum no rinse to wash weekly and once a month use optimum hyper seal as a drying aid and add that extra gloss and seal. I use chemical guys VRP for the tires
How well does the Optimum Hyper Seal work? It shouldn't be needed over a good ceramic coating. I never get hard water spots when properly drying my car and I use the same Optimum No Rinse Wash
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Since we are talking "auto detailing" what are you all using to keep your paint nice and shiny? I ceramic coated my paint right after I got it, now I'm looking for opinions on maintenance products just for looks. .

I'm thinking about topping the ceramic coat with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and using Adams or AquaWax as a spray detailer... thoughts!!

Also, what about on the tires? I want a nice gloss that doesn't sling. (Maybe I should start a new thread...)
How well does the Optimum Hyper Seal work? It shouldn't be needed over a good ceramic coating. I never get hard water spots when properly drying my car and I use the same Optimum No Rinse Wash
I think it works well. I use it only add a sacrificial layer during these cold months where there is a lot of road salt. I agree not much needed over a quality ceramic coat.. i get a bit protective, pun intended, when I see so much road salt. It works well as a drying agent anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it works well. I use it only add a sacrificial layer during these cold months where there is a lot of road salt. I agree not much needed over a quality ceramic coat.. i get a bit protective, pun intended, when I see so much road salt. It works well as a drying agent anyways.
Considering a ceramic coating should do that already have you simply tried not using that? We don't get snow here so I can't say I have that issue
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #17
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Considering a ceramic coating should do that already have you simply tried not using that? We don't get snow here so I can't say I have that issue
Yup already have opticoat pro plus over the whole body
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #18
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep

Again, I’m not talking about protecting the paint. (that is what the ceramic coating is for.)

I am talking about for looks and shine. Bling factor!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
What do you use to clean/condition your leather?

Quote:
Again, I’m not talking about protecting the paint. (that is what the ceramic coating is for.)

ceramic should do that too without any help
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:45 AM   #20
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

On our q7 they said the leather was coated with a clear coat product and using leather conditioning products would not soak into the leather. Does BMW use non coated leather? It does make sense ,if the leather is coated ,that using product designed for good old fashioned leather may not even penetrate the coating.
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #21
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
On our q7 they said the leather was coated with a clear coat product and using leather conditioning products would not soak into the leather. Does BMW use non coated leather? It does make sense ,if the leather is coated ,that using product designed for good old fashioned leather may not even penetrate the coating.
Thoughts?
All leather these days is coated in cars and yes conditions still work sort of
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #22
bavaria22
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:

If you want shine, go for a carnauba wax! I can recommend Polishangel Rapidwaxx.
Appreciate 0