BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #45
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

You know, upon thinking about it, it’s entirely possible we’d be able to pass off the retrofit for the warranty. If you do get one of these, we’re talking maybe a few thousand units total. I guarantee, that every single time a service tech gets in the car, they think the touchscreen is broken.

In the event that your tech actually pulls the codes and notices the discrepancy? I can’t imagine that would happen, but even then, it seems likely they’ll think it’s some weird error for this weird shit that happened at the factory back in 2021 for 2 weeks, and maybe this did come with a touchscreen.

There was already a case of one car saying it had the delete, but it did have a touchscreen. How would they even know that it was modded?

Yes, there is risk in the coding bit, and assuming OTA updates go on normally, the risk of warranty voiding IS present, but it would have to be discovered and reported to BMW NA and I think this is a confusing enough issue no one is going to pursue it. I think it would be different if like all the rest of the ‘22 MY had this issue, but it’s literally 2 weeks of cars.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18116.50
      11-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #46
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
IF it is really is the touchscreen swap only, then BMW should retrofit these period. Like, what happens if my touchscreen breaks? Did they buy MORE of the wrong touchscreen part just to keep me touchscreen free?

Just keep your $500 and give me what I paid for dammit.
This was exactly my thought as well. I think that we would receive a touchscreen, but since the vehicle was coded with 6UY, it would never function...
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #47
juancasala
Private
Rep
Drives: 45e +Wife’s i3

Brave soul! I appreciate you being the path-finder @kplatinum777.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #48
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Thanks for the kudos everyone.

Weighing in on this, I think it’s unlikely to void your warranty, any more than any of the other stuff people code.

I think it extremely unlikely that the dealership would notice, or care.

The likeliest drawback of this is going to be that a software update done by the dealer overwrites the VO and the coding, and you end up having to re-perform those steps.
Appreciate 2
claykin1587.50
      11-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post

Weighing in on this, I think it’s unlikely to void your warranty, any more than any of the other stuff people code.

You should be fine, between the protection offered by the FTC under the Magnuson-Moss Act as well as under some state AG's it is highly unlikely they would try and pull anything where a causal relationship can't be proven. If they do there are a lot of attorney's out there who would gladly represent you since the costs/fees would be paid by BMW when they lose.

Thanks again for being the pioneer on this and helping out our members both present and future.
claykin1587.50
      11-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #50
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The likeliest drawback of this is going to be that a software update done by the dealer overwrites the VO and the coding, and you end up having to re-perform those steps.
does it do this for anti dazzle? I guess that might not be 100% directly relevant, as ATM, every car in America should have anti dazzle disabled, so that would be easier to make the North American update always disable this.

Even if it did this every time, at most, 6 times a year, you gotta recode this, which I assume doesn't take all that long.

I feel pretty certain that if my screen broke, I'd get a replacement w/ touchscreen. In that case, I'm sure they won't enable it, which ends up where we have a situation where I'd have a car capable of two features - one (backup assistant) - that I paid for and didn't get (hey it was advertised as part of the deal) - that my car COULD do but they turn off.

That seems very wrong.

Sure hope my car doesn't get broken into and they damage my touchscreen - oh noes what would I do.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #51
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

I think it’s unlikely to void your warranty, any more than any of the other stuff people code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

the protection offered by the FTC under the Magnuson-Moss Act as well as under some state AG
As above, Moss-Mag & "state AG protections" aren't likely practical (which state AG wants to hold a press conf about defending BMW coder guy?), but nevertheless, your probability is likely low ... though just to flesh that out for nerd sake:

(1.) Void warranty: real?
Except in certain specific (and noted) cases there's more/less no "voiding", rather what happens is, the dealer submits for service reimbursement and/or pre-auth for service work, then BMWNA approves or denies, then the dealer does or doesn't do the work. With that, the effect can be the same, depending on the work refused, as BMWNA could simply continue refusing reimbursement so it's like a void. Again, just being nerdy.

(2.) What if the dealership knows about the rogue touchscreen?
That's probably not the risk; the reason is because the dealership is an independent business who likely makes the bulk of their income from service work, so it's in their best interest to do as much work as you request whether BMWNA pays them via a warranty claim or you pay them. In short, dealerships aren't very incented to shed light where there is no darkness, so if they can plausibly say they will

(3.) What if something bigger fails?
To your point, as is the risk with any mod that's not a simple replace (i.e., new wheels, new exhaust, etc), and requires spelunking (i.e., chip mods, coding, new turbos, etc) you enter into a grey area ... if the dealership can easily fix it (e.g., most coding) they're likely to just do that to keep the gravy train rolling and send you on your way. OTOH if you show up with a spun crank hub ... well the dealership is going to have no choice but to call that one in .. and then BMWNA is probably going to send out an engineer as well as ask for a data dump, and after that engineer sees the problem & data, (and probably estimates the cost) then BMWNA will approve or deny. Which means deny.

NET-NET
As long as nothing big electrical/computer fails, or whatever fails is very easy for the dealership to quietly repair, you're good; which likely means overall your probability is low.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-20-2021 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:30 AM   #52
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

I think if I ever had a massive electrical issue, I'd def put back the original screen.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      11-20-2021, 02:06 AM   #53
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

I think most of the affected customers like me will either:
1. decline and reorder
or:
2. accept it and just don't touch

For those who have the ability and energy to do the retrofit by themselves, I think they will also have the ability and energy to get the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #54
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

So what if we surged the screen with power and burnt it out? Or purposely damaged the screen to get it replaced? Take it to dealer and get a warranty claim on a touch less screen they just don't have ? I'm tempted
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #55
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
So what if we surged the screen with power and burnt it out? Or purposely damaged the screen to get it replaced? Take it to dealer and get a warranty claim on a touch less screen they just don't have ? I'm tempted
Ya that's my point. if the touchless model ever fails, I'd get a touchscreen replacement I bet. How much sense does that make? Of course, BMW would do that then NOT enable the software.

I want to just decline the credit and have them fix it.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #56
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
Quote:
Ya that's my point. if the touchless model ever fails, I'd get a touchscreen replacement I bet. How much sense does that make? Of course, BMW would do that then NOT enable the software.

I want to just decline the credit and have them fix it.
I'm sure I could go in and short the screen somehow …
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #57
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure I could go in and short the screen somehow …
ya, it's gonna be weird how "unreliable" those non touch models are. Crazy huh? maybe it's from people repeatedly touching the screen thinking it's just broken. Oh well, gonna need to get that fixed....
Appreciate 3
      11-21-2021, 08:37 PM   #58
CarFreak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Great news! Look forward to your write up as I just picked up a touch screen delete model.

So basically it's a different screen/part# and just reprogramming. Which part # should we look for?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #59
87yj
Registered
Rep
Drives: G05 45e

Any updates on how this is working. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones also that ordered a X5 which was produced during the no touchscreen phase. It's bothering me quite a bit, especially since it seems there are some touch screens trickling back in...also BMW must think it's an important feature if they are protecting it on the upper end M's. Mine's a 45e with just about every option and they still deleted the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:21 PM   #60
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Can you also include a guide on replacing the screen? I ordered and received a touchscreen from ebay and would appreciate instructions on how to take the dash apart to swap the screens without breaking anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #61
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Can you also include a guide on replacing the screen? I ordered and received a touchscreen from ebay and would appreciate instructions on how to take the dash apart to swap the screens without breaking anything.
Could you send the eBay link? Mine without touchscreen is on the way. Dealer said the retrofit by third party would void the warranty related to the touchscreen. I won't tell them anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #62
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

I got part number 8798732. Description of the ebay listing said Left Hand Drive (LHD) screen and that it works with a G05, G06, and G07. I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not 100% sure it is the correct part. Paid about $540usd shipped from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:05 PM   #63
Rock2022
Rep
Drives: X5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
I got part number 8798732. Description of the ebay listing said Left Hand Drive (LHD) screen and that it works with a G05, G06, and G07. I haven't installed it yet, so I'm not 100% sure it is the correct part. Paid about $540usd shipped from Germany.
Thanks! Hope everything goes smoothly! Do you plan to write letters to BMW executive emails? Some people said they did and got some hidden gem?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #64
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Quote:

It will be super surprising to the dealer to use the touch screen prior to the update, verify some things, test drive the vehicle (etc) then do a software update, hop in and realize they "broke" the touchscreen.

I mean maybe there is a big flashing "does not have a touchscreen" thing on their maintenance reports/software but I suspect they will just expect it to work if it did when you brought it in.

G
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #65
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Ordered a screen, trim tool, and obd cable. Probably arriving in a week or so. Anyone have experience removing the front panel to get to the screen?

Would also have to figure out ESYS for the coding.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      12-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #66
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

you sir, are a trailblazer. So coding is necessary, but how easy is it?