11-19-2021, 03:30 PM   #67
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

I have not hears back from BMW.
Also my car is still in transit.

So I will wait for now but I probably will just cancel and reorder.
This whole process is frustrating alreay, I don't want to go through with more I guess.

Also, I will shop around, as many others is doing now.
X5 is a nice car, but maybe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
No attorneys, just worked through the BMWNA contact who was very helpful, the 2nd part ... after our group's resolution, a similar broader resolution was made available to all however I preferred our group's resolution
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 03:42 PM   #68
juancasala
Private
Rep
Drives: 45e +Wife’s i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1 View Post
Since you said you will not get a touch screen, is retrofit now completely out of the question? I’m also a brand new customer like many and disappointed with the missing touchscreen, especially the part about feeling left out in that 2 week window. In whichever way they assisted you, can the rest of us expect that as well? Or should we send individual emails out as well and hope for the best?

I’m happy for you, but this is not the type of brand introductory experience I was looking for when I decided to go with BMW.
I can’t speak for BMW - it doesn’t sound like a retrofit will be an option.

I’m happy with the outcome. I also got Premium Package so will need to get good at the hand gestures. BMW also has the best system with iDrive - and it worked for me for years without a touchscreen - I didn’t even realize I had a touchscreen in my last car until I was turning the lease back in.

Plus, I noticed the leaning forward to touch the screen (in another car) was both triggering back pain, and it is more distracting than just using the knob.

You’ll love the car if you can get past this one thing…
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #69
Jkb1002
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks so much for all the good info here. I am picking up my dream X5, and am just so bummed about the touchscreen. My allocation fell in that unlucky week; I would have been happy to wait if this was just a blip. I wrote to them as well, and was nice. Hoping for a resolution — my husband just bought an E39 M5 last week, and we were excited to have matching BMWs. Silly, but this is my first - and something I worked my whole career to buy myself, so it’s emotional, too. I think I will go ahead and take delivery tomorrow with hope that they can make it right … dealer’s position is basically “sucks to be you.”
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18168.50
      11-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkb1002 View Post
Thanks so much for all the good info here. I am picking up my dream X5, and am just so bummed about the touchscreen. My allocation fell in that unlucky week; I would have been happy to wait if this was just a blip. I wrote to them as well, and was nice. Hoping for a resolution — my husband just bought an E39 M5 last week, and we were excited to have matching BMWs. Silly, but this is my first - and something I worked my whole career to buy myself, so it’s emotional, too. I think I will go ahead and take delivery tomorrow with hope that they can make it right … dealer’s position is basically “sucks to be you.”
My advice would be if you don't need the X5 right now then refuse delivery and reorder. You have worked hard and looked forward to this, why taint it if you don't have to.
hulu106.00
      11-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #71
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

If you don't need the car right now, I would suggest decline and reorder or shop around right now.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #72
Jkb1002
Rep

Thank you! I am for sure considering it. I will talk to them — they are making me feel like if I cancel and reorder, there is a higher possibility of other parts being missing. (Like, besides the wireless charging, touch screen, parking assistant…LOL)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #73
LU
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

It seems that BMW is using divide and conquer strategy, settling with a few affected users and then ignoring most others. I hope that they would provide a universal SATISFACTORY solution to ALL who were affected. I'll continue in whatever way to communicate to whoever and whatever that might work.
Appreciate 4
GrussGott18168.50
hulu106.00
      11-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #74
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! I am for sure considering it. I will talk to them — they are making me feel like if I cancel and reorder, there is a higher possibility of other parts being missing. (Like, besides the wireless charging, touch screen, parking assistant…LOL)
Yeah, I think there's a large psychological component of having something and then having it taken away ... and the risk is, if you reorder, more "decontenting" so, of course, you have to decide how worth it that touchscreen is to you ... Personally, I'd reorder.

I'm in the minority on speculating whether it'll devalue on resale - all other things being equal I don't think it will any more than, say, a sunroof or not a sunroof, and probably less than that; i.e., a car-buying service will likely give you the same amount touchscreen or not and privately you may miss a few buyers, but in general there'll be a plenty of buyers ...

And, I'm also in the camp of thinking in a year or so ICE supply chains will start getting more constrained and that'll actually raise the used car prices of existing pure ICE vehicles (vs hybrids)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #75
juancasala
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU View Post
It seems that BMW is using divide and conquer strategy, settling with a few affected users and then ignoring most others. I hope that they would provide a universal SATISFACTORY solution to ALL who were affected. I'll continue in whatever way to communicate to whoever and whatever that might work.
I wouldn’t necessarily come to that conclusion. If I may suggest to give them a chance / a little time to respond to you - took a couple of weeks since my initial inquiry…

It does sound like loyalty could be a factor - I’m okay with that myself - but I recognize it’s a personal choice.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #76
juancasala
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah, I think there's a large psychological component of having something and then having it taken away ... and the risk is, if you reorder, more "decontenting" so, of course, you have to decide how worth it that touchscreen is to you ... Personally, I'd reorder.

I'm in the minority on speculating whether it'll devalue on resale - all other things being equal I don't think it will any more than, say, a sunroof or not a sunroof, and probably less than that; i.e., a car-buying service will likely give you the same amount touchscreen or not and privately you may miss a few buyers, but in general there'll be a plenty of buyers ...

And, I'm also in the camp of thinking in a year or so ICE supply chains will start getting more constrained and that'll actually raise the used car prices of existing pure ICE vehicles (vs hybrids)
Right on! And if the owner usually just traded the car in - then I think resale value should be less of an issue.

I think it comes down to personal preference as to whether touchscreen is a must for each one of us.

I’ve been driving the new car around, and my instincts are still to touch the screen, so it’ll take some getting used to.

But I think this car and iDrive was designed to do well without one; it’s just Apple CarPlay when it feels like I should reach out and touch.
Appreciate 4
      11-19-2021, 07:02 PM   #77
LU
Rep
Drives: BMWX5

I think Loyalty is earned, not given. If BMW continues ignoring the touch-less customers, I wonder how loyal would those people, their families, neighbors, and most importantly, this fantastic forum members, who happened to care about the story would be.
Appreciate 3
      11-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #78
juancasala
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LU View Post
I think Loyalty is earned, not given. If BMW continues ignoring the touch-less customers, I wonder how loyal would those people, their families, neighbors, and most importantly, this fantastic forum members, who happened to care about the story would be.
I agree loyalty is earned, and I also believe loyalty continues to grow with time and experiences that prove the commitment, so if their considerations are based on the investments I have made on their brand - I feel it’s fair.

Perhaps one of the factors is that I already took delivery on the car. So patience and a little trust could prove to be fruitful.
Appreciate 1
bastula183.00
      11-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #79
Jkb1002
Rep

I’m back. I took delivery! The dealer was lovely and the car is gorgeous. I am really happy with it, and I suppose I can live without the touchscreen that said, I have now sent two (very nice!) emails to the executive team in the Elliott email and didn’t get a response. Would someone mind sharing via PM who responded to them and what their contact info is? Thank you all for the help and guidance. You guys are so nice.
Appreciate 2
bastula183.00
      11-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #80
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancasala View Post
All - the letter worked.

To respect the way BMW handled this with me, I won’t provide the specifics.

I will not have a touchscreen, but let’s just say they have heard our voices, and they also took into account my loyalty to the brand, with this being my 4th car from them.

I treaded lightly and respectfully, and they reciprocated with kindness.

This all, thanks to you guys here at the Forum!

Hope each of you is also taken care of!

P/s: I’m back to fully loving BMW!
Since you said you will not get a touch screen, is retrofit now completely out of the question? I’m also a brand new customer like many and disappointed with the missing touchscreen, especially the part about feeling left out in that 2 week window. In whichever way they assisted you, can the rest of us expect that as well? Or should we send individual emails out as well and hope for the best?

I’m happy for you, but this is not the type of brand introductory experience I was looking for when I decided to go with BMW.
I would like to figure out if we also need to reach out or whats going on. It seems they made their day, I want my day made too 😂
      11-22-2021, 05:57 PM   #81
LTgreen
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW X5

Quote:
I'm back. I took delivery! The dealer was lovely and the car is gorgeous. I am really happy with it, and I suppose I can live without the touchscreen that said, I have now sent two (very nice!) emails to the executive team in the Elliott email and didn't get a response. Would someone mind sharing via PM who responded to them and what their contact info is? Thank you all for the help and guidance. You guys are so nice.
I also sent a note to the head of customer service and haven't heard anything … if you get any other info/contacts can you please share? Thank you 🙏🏽
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18168.50
      11-22-2021, 06:50 PM   #82
TGTBTU
TGTBTU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 X-drive M40i

Can we start a petition for the return of the fog lights? Like BMW will actually listen!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #83
S_McTowelie
Private
Rep
Drives: \

Crosspost from another thread. Pretty much the same text, but wanted to post for those following this one.

I sent emails to the three executives listed in a link from a prior post. Mainly just expressed my disappointment in standard features being removed prior to any documentation being updated on BMW website, the general lack of communication about the deletes (ie finding this out via the forum), and frustration that the blip was so small and nothing is being proposed for a fix for the impacted cohort.

Well, the emails went through because I got a call from BMW Executive Office and they wanted to discuss the emails that I sent. General gist of the conversation is that it didn't really result in anything, but here were some of the talking points:

Regarding the cars being produced with touch screens now, he said that he has had the convo with individuals who decode the VINs and call in about it (ie the ones being produced now that appear to have screens) and he said that even though these cars with touchscreens are arriving at dealers AFTER cars that have already been delivered without touchscreens, they were either built or had their parts allocated PRIOR to the ones with the touchscreen delete. Not sure what to make of that.

He then said that anything ordered or produced after 10/25 will have the delete. I then mentioned the forum and how people are decoding VINs of cars currently in production or awaiting carrier assignment, to which he noted what I mentioned above. I didn't press him on it as I don't know their assembly line logistics, so I just let it be.

I asked about if they are considering future retro fits or recalls of impacted screens and what if my screen dies three years into ownership, why couldn't touchscreen be reinstated. The response seemed a bit off based on the posts here where an individual replaced his touchless screen and got it to work. The representative said that a retrofit isn't possible and referred to the screen functionality being as integrated/tied to the vehicle as the engine or transmission and that it's not something they can just "easily" fix on a massive scale.

Lastly he noted that any reorders will not guarantee a screen. He said that top brass is telling him the touchscreens are gone until year end and 2022 is still unknown.

He seemed to just be doing triage and smoothing things over with words rather than actions. I thanked him for his time and discussing what he knows about the deletes. He said to call him if I have any more questions and that was the end of convo.

I tried to fight the good fight, but I don't know what else can be done to help with the whole strength in numbers idea of voicing disappointment. I still plan on taking delivery of car in 2 weeks; just wanted to help the group out of principle as I feel like customer service has gone by the wayside this past year.

I'll have some MC Hammer queued up on Spotify when driving home 😆
Appreciate 4
bastula183.00
GrussGott18168.50
      11-24-2021, 12:50 AM   #84
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTBTU View Post
Can we start a petition for the return of the fog lights? Like BMW will actually listen!
With the advances in adaptive lights and new law changes. I'm thinking fog lights will become a thing of the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #85
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Also received a phone call back from executive team member rep. Stated they would get back to me next week with more info. I was courteous and appreciated that they reached out to me. However they couldn't really give me any concrete details.
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18168.50
      11-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #86
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Just sent a letter myself. I don't expect anything in return but who knows. I'm sure if you were to replace some of their cars with touchscreen "potluck", they'd be just as upset.
Appreciate 1
bastula183.00
      11-29-2021, 07:10 AM   #87
haggis444
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Garage List
I am going in today to place my order for a M50i. I was told the allocation is for February. I would like touchscreen but not to upset about not having it. Of course the dealer is making me sign a page stating I know there will be no touch screen.

I thought this was interesting....on the Spec and Features page it states this:

Some vehicles built in late 2021 may not be equipped with touchscreen

Not holding my breath that it will be added back in but not sure why they didn't put a opened-ended statement vs. time-bound one like this.

Anyway we will see what happens.

And FWIW, I totally agree they should offer a retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:22 PM   #88
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis444 View Post

Some vehicles built in late 2021 may not be equipped with touchscreen

not sure why they didn't put a opened-ended statement vs. time-bound one like this.
Well they can always update it to "... and early 2022"

Nevertheless the most troubling word for me is "some"
Appreciate 0