BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #1
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Questions about Physical and digital Keys

Hi, How many digital NFC (credit card type) keys did your X5 came with?
Do you guys use them on a regular basis compared to the physical key fob?

I have set-up my BMW app, and if we don't have the physical key fob, can you use your phone to drive? I think it has an option to lock and unlock only.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
bozobozo
Rep
Drives: X5

Mine came with 2 physicals keys, 1 credit card style type of key, and I just hooked up my iPhone to be the main digital key.

I havent tested whether the iPhone digital key will allow me to start the car and drive off WITHOUT the credit card key or the 2 physical keys.

I'll test today and report back
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Hi, How many digital NFC (credit card type) keys did your X5 came with? Do you guys use them on a regular basis compared to the physical key fob? I have set-up my BMW app, and if we don't have the physical key fob, can you use your phone to drive? I think it has an option to lock and unlock only.
my MY21 45e came with 2 key fobs and the digital key card. i've set up both the key card and iPhone Digital Key. personally, i use the key fob exclusively whereas the digital keys only serve for convenience (going to swim) or emergency (unlock vehicle with key fob inside...ask me how i know).

the iPhone Digital Key will lock, unlock, and start the vehicle without requiring the key fob inside the vehicle interior. there's lots of info on the web and videos explaining this and other features. may wanna check out BMW's 'How to' video series. below are quick references:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...mw-digital-key
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GSG_BMWDigitalKey.pdf (10.37 MB, 486 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Mostly keyfob for the unlock/lock on approach; but I use the digital key (iphone) whenever I don't want to carry my fob around.

Using a digital key from phone also can get sketchy with my phone case.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

The key fob is the workhorse. I only use the iPhone if I forget my key and don't want to go back upstairs to get it. I don't like having to put my phone on the wireless charger, but it's what you have to do. I never use the key card.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

My key card lives in a small file cabinet along with my second key fob.

I use my main fob primarily, and I rely on the iPhone for those moments when I need something out of the car but the fob isn't on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

I have 2 physical key fob, and a credit card (tesla style) NFC key. However, the NFC key does not keep track of my personal profile, like a regular a display key / key fob would. So it is sitting somewhere in the user manual binder instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrik View Post
The key fob is the workhorse. I only use the iPhone if I forget my key and don't want to go back upstairs to get it. I don't like having to put my phone on the wireless charger, but it's what you have to do. I never use the key card.
just FYI, after placing the iPhone on the wireless charger to start the vehicle, you can remove it. the iPhone doesn't have to stay in the tray after starting the vehicle and the car is running.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #9
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
my MY21 45e came with 2 key fobs and the digital key card. i've set up both the key card and iPhone Digital Key. personally, i use the key fob exclusively whereas the digital keys only serve for convenience (going to swim) or emergency (unlock vehicle with key fob inside...ask me how i know).

the iPhone Digital Key will lock, unlock, and start the vehicle without requiring the key fob inside the vehicle interior. there's lots of info on the web and videos explaining this and other features. may wanna check out BMW's 'How to' video series. below are quick references:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...mw-digital-key
This is very helpful --- thank you nZtiZia
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4629.50
      11-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #10
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
just FYI, after placing the iPhone on the wireless charger to start the vehicle, you can remove it. the iPhone doesn't have to stay in the tray after starting the vehicle and the car is running.
Thx. Can you program Android phone to use as the digital key as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thx. Can you program Android phone to use as the digital key as well?
not at this time, but i believe it is on the horizon. there's some discussion about it on page 2 of this thread:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1875081
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, this is very helpful as I always left the phone on there. So basically, if the phone craps out the car can at least remain in operation.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, this is very helpful as I always left the phone on there. So basically, if the phone craps out the car can at least remain in operation.
yup, it's only placed in the tray to start the vehicle but not required to stay in there to keep it running.

even if the phone's battery 'dies', it still retains some power to allow the Digital Key and payment cards in the Wallet to work (with some caveats).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234

https://www.slashgear.com/iphone-dig...-22625879/amp/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #14
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Hi, How many digital NFC (credit card type) keys did your X5 came with?

I have set-up my BMW app, and if we don't have the physical key fob, can you use your phone to drive? I think it has an option to lock and unlock only.

Thank you.
I have my and my wife’s iPhones programmmer with my x5’s digital key mainly if we need to get something from that car but we only had the keys for her car

I also have it as a backup in case I might lose my keys if I’m away from home so I’m not stranded

I do find the ability to open and close the doors is not 100% straight forward. Trying to find the sweet spot and angle to have my phone from the door handle is not all that intuitive
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLCC View Post
I have 2 physical key fob, and a credit card (tesla style) NFC key. However, the NFC key does not keep track of my personal profile, like a regular a display key / key fob would. So it is sitting somewhere in the user manual binder instead.
You can link your Driver Profile to Digital Key using Activate Linkage menu selection in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #16
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

I’ve bee 100% successful with my iPhone unlocking/locking the door, but my wife complaints the same as your experience (we both have iPhone 13). What I find that works for me is have your phone face up with the back top center (right below the earphone) as close as to the lock sensor groove above the door handle. Be patient though, hold it there until it unlocks/locks…. Good luck…

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
I have my and my wife’s iPhones programmmer with my x5’s digital key mainly if we need to get something from that car but we only had the keys for her car

I also have it as a backup in case I might lose my keys if I’m away from home so I’m not stranded

I do find the ability to open and close the doors is not 100% straight forward. Trying to find the sweet spot and angle to have my phone from the door handle is not all that intuitive
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #17
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I put my card key in my phone (Android) case, so I can use my phone to unlock the car and start the engine...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #18
sarge_in
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, Acura TL

I would prefer to use the key card due to much smaller dimension than the key fob, but I don't think it can be used to lock automatically when I move away from the car a certain distance. That convenience makes me carry the key fob.

Anyone know if the key card can be used that way?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:59 AM   #19
yanger24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

I use my Apple Watch to lock/unlock and phone in the tray to operate. Rarely use the fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #20
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_in View Post
I would prefer to use the key card due to much smaller dimension than the key fob, but I don't think it can be used to lock automatically when I move away from the car a certain distance. That convenience makes me carry the key fob.

Anyone know if the key card can be used that way?
Keycard does not support comfort access. It uses NFC chip that needs to be in close proximity of the reader. You have to tap near the driver door handle to lock/unlock.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #21
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

mine came with two key fobs, one NFC card and I setup my iPhone as well. I use my NFC card nowadays because my area was targeted where thieves were stealing high end vehicles in parking lots of Malls, Targets and Walmart by spoofing key fobs. County Sheriff Department has confirmed two case. Beside I do not like key fob in my pocket. If i need to prestart my vehicle I just use My BMW app on phone. On headache with NFC card is having to remove it each time and place it on door handle to look vehicle. But I do keep key fob handy in my house and do use it to start vehicle or lock it once I'm home. But this is just me
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:51 AM   #22
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

If you try to use a digital key card and it won't open the car or start it, can you use an app to either get in the car and/or start it? Also, will the car allow one to lock it with the digital key card when there is a key fob in the car?

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0