BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #89
leehocrx
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Smile So far i love this X5 45e

I have had my 2021 X5 45e since march 8th. Had to drive it home from a dealer that was approximately 100 miles away with no battery charge to start with. They never charged the battery when i had taken delivery. Since then i now have a little over 500 miles on it, with approx 60% of my original tankful of fuel remaining. I am now averaging over 67 miles per gallon and i usually only drive shorter distances and leave the vehicle in "hybrid mode". I have solar installed on the house and recharge the batteries during the day, so my cost to recharge is basically..zero. (my panels have enough capacity to also handle the X5 charging too).
I have played around with the "sport setting" and it now feels like a totally different vehicle. Excellent acceleration and handling. For the most part, i leave it in hybrid.
For me...it feels like the best of both worlds...excellent mileage and when you want to have some fun with it....push a button

Well put together, extremely comfortable..roof has not flown off!! Everything fits together well and i get at least 35 miles on battery or even up to 40. Yes i live in Arizona, so that helps!!
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #90
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmelim View Post
In Norway price is a big one..

140.000usd - My X5 45e
150.000usd. 40i with same spec
210.000usd. M50i
275.000usd X5M

And with gas prices of 6-7usd/gallon we prefer less fuel and more electric range ( i manage 50 miles electric with europe spec)
I have had the chance to drive and sit in the 40i, M50 and most recently the 45e. As I suspected, the 45e is my favorite. I love the quiet interior, also the ride is both comfortable and sporty. It's a superb SUV and a great value IMHO. I would never regret buying one. In fact when I trade in my current 50i, I am close to 100% getting either the iX or the version of the 45e (hybrid). The car feels more solid and luxurious than the 40i to me.

I think BMW has done a great job with the G05, all models are superb, but the 45e and the M50i are special for different reasons. The M50i to me is a little too thirty for a daily driver. For my commute, the 45e would require no gas at all!
Appreciate 1
jphcbpa299.50
      04-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #91
Thedenn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Porsche 911

No regrets here. I’m five months into owning the 45e (loaded options) and love it. Truly a joy to drive short and/or long distances.

Over the years, I’ve owned C, E, S Class Benz, Audi Q5, Escalade, GMC Yukon XL, multiple 3 Series and 5 Series; the X5 45e tops the list. Quiet (comparable to S Class), comfortable and yet feels sporty too. Fit and finish is superb and a refined interior adds to the driving experience. Btw, I don’t mind the extra weight, it’s planted on the road and air suspension makes for a terrific ride.

My only constructive comments or suggested improvements would be for BMW to reduce battery charge time, truly have cooling seats (vs circulated air) and rear seats should be able to recline. None of these are deal breakers or overly concerning - just my opinions for a vehicle at this price point.

Otherwise, the car is virtually perfect for my taste.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc363.00
      04-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #92
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Just an aside, but the fans in the BMW seats suck air from the top and down out the bottom...so, rather than blowing air up your butt, I call them my fart dispersers! SO, it somewhat depends on the texture and thickness of the clothes you're wearing as to how much air gets moved.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #93
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

What is the best highway range you are seeing on a road trip?

Wondering how many miles (max) people can get on a topped-up tank - on a road trip?
      04-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #94
nyfinest25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

I drive a 19 X5 40i with m sport and looking to replace it with the 45e. Does the 45e m sport have air suspension? Or is it the xline with air suspension. M sport has a rough ride, I like it more smoother ride, but the m gives the muscular looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #95
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfinest25 View Post
I drive a 19 X5 40i with m sport and looking to replace it with the 45e. Does the 45e m sport have air suspension? Or is it the xline with air suspension. M sport has a rough ride, I like it more smoother ride, but the m gives the muscular looks.

All 45e come with air suspension. No suspension difference between xline and msport.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #96
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehocrx View Post
I have had my 2021 X5 45e since march 8th. Had to drive it home from a dealer that was approximately 100 miles away with no battery charge to start with. They never charged the battery when i had taken delivery. Since then i now have a little over 500 miles on it, with approx 60% of my original tankful of fuel remaining. I am now averaging over 67 miles per gallon and i usually only drive shorter distances and leave the vehicle in "hybrid mode". I have solar installed on the house and recharge the batteries during the day, so my cost to recharge is basically..zero. (my panels have enough capacity to also handle the X5 charging too).
I have played around with the "sport setting" and it now feels like a totally different vehicle. Excellent acceleration and handling. For the most part, i leave it in hybrid.
For me...it feels like the best of both worlds...excellent mileage and when you want to have some fun with it....push a button

Well put together, extremely comfortable..roof has not flown off!! Everything fits together well and i get at least 35 miles on battery or even up to 40. Yes i live in Arizona, so that helps!!
A neighbor of mine took a $30k credit for installation of Tesla panels on the roof. I think he also mentioned $10k for batteries...but not quite sure about that.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #97
moholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi... hopefully...

We love our almost loaded 45e! Took delivery 2 weeks ago and now have 1,074 miles, including a 650 mile trip Maine->NYC. Tank was full at delivery and fully charged. We are halfway through our second tank of fuel. Averaging 37+mpg since factory, which I think is astonishing considering that we could not recharge in NYC for our return trip.

Last night, I drove 60+ miles on secondary roads with mild to low traffic flow... it was set to Electric Ind, with all of the sport settings ON and Eco Pro setting OFF... and I covered 45.5 miles on electric only! Every time I get into the 45e, I seem to get a little more range! This probably isn't realistic, but this morning it is saying 50 miles of electric range! But last night it started out with 42 miles, so it was either low, or was able to regenerate some on the trip, or both. Temp was 50 degrees, and it was mostly coastal driving, so minimal grade changes... ideal conditions but still impressive.

And when you want to push it, you have more than enough power.

Overall, super happy with the quality of the X5. It would be perfect if it had... faster charging (but for our use case, I think it will be more than adequate), reclining and sliding rear seats, passenger seat memory, and I wish the screen layouts were more customizable... seems like a lot of repetitive info across the main screen, dashboard, and HUD. And since they are fully digital, you should be able to customize them to the nth degree.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #98
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Yes, I could have afforded an M, but saw no good reason to do it...one reason why I could afford it is being a bit practical so I can spend it on other things, like flying, traveling, neat other toys I can use more often, etc. If it floats your boat, fine. They make different models because not everyone's needs and desires are the same. Diversity is good, just keep in mind, not everyone likes the same things and we'll all get along better!
I see you fly. Where/what do you fly out of, if you don't mind me asking? I have a Cessna 182 and fly out of KBVY....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #99
mermar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moholland View Post
We love our almost loaded 45e! Took delivery 2 weeks ago and now have 1,074 miles, including a 650 mile trip Maine->NYC. Tank was full at delivery and fully charged. We are halfway through our second tank of fuel. Averaging 37+mpg since factory, which I think is astonishing considering that we could not recharge in NYC for our return trip.

Last night, I drove 60+ miles on secondary roads with mild to low traffic flow... it was set to Electric Ind, with all of the sport settings ON and Eco Pro setting OFF... and I covered 45.5 miles on electric only! Every time I get into the 45e, I seem to get a little more range! This probably isn't realistic, but this morning it is saying 50 miles of electric range! But last night it started out with 42 miles, so it was either low, or was able to regenerate some on the trip, or both. Temp was 50 degrees, and it was mostly coastal driving, so minimal grade changes... ideal conditions but still impressive.

And when you want to push it, you have more than enough power.

Overall, super happy with the quality of the X5. It would be perfect if it had... faster charging (but for our use case, I think it will be more than adequate), reclining and sliding rear seats, passenger seat memory, and I wish the screen layouts were more customizable... seems like a lot of repetitive info across the main screen, dashboard, and HUD. And since they are fully digital, you should be able to customize them to the nth degree.
Curious how many miles you were able to get out of a full tank + full battery on your road trip? Thx
      04-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #100
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
I see you fly. Where/what do you fly out of, if you don't mind me asking? I have a Cessna 182 and fly out of KBVY....
Well, I owned a Magni M24plus gyroplane. It's in a landfill somewhere now. Last year, as I was doing my takeoff run, I had a stroke, and drifted off the runway on the ground, hit a bump at the taxiway, and tumbled it for about 600'...don't remember a thing except waking up in the ER hours later. Luckily, I was holding the stick forward, so it never made it off the ground, but at full power, got to about 100Kt before it drifted (Vy is about 60kt and good for over 1Kft/min climb). If it had gotten off the ground, people have gotten them up over 28Kft, and it had a full tank of fuel, so could easily have ditched way out over the ocean once it ran out of fuel...at that altitude, would never have awakened, it's enclosed, but not pressurized. So, when I was flying, it was out of KASH. It was fully decked out with dual EFIS, ADS-B in/out, CF high performance blades, and a Rotax 915is that lived to soon be installed on another plane. The only evidence of problem with the pusher was a small scratch on an engine cover...the fuselage crushed like an egg, and the aircraft alloy frame got twisted up. From what I could tell later, there were five area news helicopters trying to get shots for the evening news...my moment of fame (or is that infamy!).
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #101
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Like most people, the majority of my driving is local errands, etc. However, I do love me a road trip
My man math suggests that with some smart driving someone could get close to 600 miles of range on a 40i with its large 22 gal tank.
Given the fuel tank capacity is smaller on the 45e, and it weighs more... what are owners seeing in the real world for range on a road trip. not driving 60 mph the whole way, but more like a realistic 75mph highway drive?

Lastly, when in electric-only mode around town - is the 45e super quiet inside? Like quieter than the X7 40i? Looking for S-class levels of quiet in our next car.
I'm interested in this as well, but it seems to be hard to get this figure.

Considering average 75 mph speeds on a long trip without opportunities to recharge, what is the fuel-only range of xDrive45e?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #102
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Considering average 75 mph speeds on a long trip without opportunities to recharge, what is the fuel-only range of xDrive45e?
the electric motor can't completely separate and isolate from the ICE as it assists the ICE even when driving in Sport mode, so ICE-only fuel range is unlikely in reality. the MyBMW app does provide an estimate, though
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 11:19 AM   #103
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
Just floating this question out there to any 45E owners. As I contemplate taking advantage of high used car rates right now and putting in a new build for an X5, I am intrigued by the hybrid. For the most part my commute is about 25 miles each way, mostly highway. I am wondering if anyone has regrets choosing a hybrid versus the regular gas 40i. I have never owned a hybrid before so I'm a little bit cautious.
1. You'll get better noise isolation from the road because of the battery pack
2. It is heavier, but also has a lower center of gravity so handling is better and 99% of the time you will have more power at your disposal because of the hybrid power train.
3. You get air suspension so will be more comfortable in longer drives…
4. You get $7k Federal credit…
5. Electric only mode is super silent…
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #104
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post

In August, I drove from NH to MI and back again...over 2000-miles RT. I left with a full charge, but really didn't recharge much during the trip...a little at my destination, but using the level 1 device, it never really got topped off. I had set the battery hold to 30% to ensure I could keep my passengers comfortable should I need to stop and they didn't need to or want to get out.

The vehicle will almost ALWAYS have some charge left to boost during acceleration, and especially when first starting up. It may not be able to sustain EV mode for long, but it's not like it actually ever drains the batteries completely...even when the estimated range is reading zero, you still get a little boost on the highway when accelerating. Unless you're in a VERY flat part of the country, and there's no traffic, you will be accelerating and slowing down some, so the vehicle will be able to push some energy back into the batteries.

I averaged about 28-29 mpg during this trip, and from a full battery and tank while driving mid-70 mph on average (mostly interstate - mostly with a 65mph speed limit). I expect I could have gone over 500-miles before I had to stop and refuel. I needed to stop more often, and on the longer leg (stopped overnight in NY at my sister's) from Rochester to Grand Rapids, I stopped to fill it up once.

In the USA, most of the paid EVSEs out there charge more by the time you're connected versus the power you pull, so, given their typical cost/minute, at least in most of the USA, it's cheaper to just refuel. Charging at home, or for free, well, that's another issue, but unless you're staying there awhile, you won't get that much of a charge if say you're just stopping for a meal. That brings up some's objection to the size of the onboard charging unit, but space, weight, and cost, personally, I think it's a reasonable compromise. If you can recharge at say work, and at home, you may never need to buy gasoline except while on a trip...just don't expect to recharge like a Tesla or something with a CCS input.

Prior to this trip, most of my driving had been local, and primarily using the batteries...the computer said my mpg was about 90. After the trip, it dropped to about 40, but I expect over the next few months since I plug it in when I get home, it will creep back up there. The computer regularly says my ICE mileage range is in the 430 miles, and EV mode mid-30's. I've seen the total range exceed 550-miles, depending on what and where I've driven, and it may drop to the low 400 range in the winter.

Hope this helps. The vehicle is in for its first service...just passed one year. Should pick it up later today. Mostly, it's just the oil and filter change, with various system checks.
Appreciate 2
Jeff661266.50
FastMarkA542.50
      09-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #105
walkday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Regarding charging, I bought Megear's 120/240v Level 1/2 portable EVSE, which allows me to set various Amps like 10A 12A 16A, which are the ones I use most. My home has a 120V/20A outlet in the garage. So, I was able to charge the 45e at the 120V/16A rate. The readout on the EVSE shows 1.8kW. Before, I was using the OME EVSE, which gives me the 120V/10A rate. On a 120V/15A outlets, I think I can safely draw 12A.

I have been always coming home with some % of battery left, so I didn't have the chance to observe 0 - 100%, but at 120V/16A, it should take about 10 hours. On weekdays, my house has 6 hours of electricity at the super-off-peak rate, which are enough for my typical daily mileage.

(I am not affiliated with Megear. )
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #106
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Absolutely loving my 45e. Now just kicked back waiting for the M50e to arrive. Or an X5Me if I have to.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      09-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #107
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

I've had mine for a year. Currently at 20,000 miles and absolutely love this truck.
I have a heavy foot - when I am on gas, I'm getting 23mpg. That said, of m 20,000 miles, 13000 have been all electric. I charge at home, drive 30 miles, and charge at the office so I do a lot of all electric driving. I am averaging probably 1300-1500 miles per tank which has cut my gas station visits down to about once every 3 to 4 weeks.

It does have a mind of its own when its parked and charging that I can't quite figure out (seeing the welcome screen after I get out, headlights staying on, etc) but nothing hitting the lock button doesn't fix.

Aceman
Appreciate 1
BXdriver159.00
      09-24-2021, 05:33 PM   #108
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

I just hit 1,500 miles since getting the 45e at the end of May, and like others, I love it. Definitely my favorite X5 (of 4) due to the PHEV.

Fast, quiet, and very few annoying trips to the gas station. I never realized I hated that chore so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 02:55 AM   #109
MaxRange
Rep

Fuel economy

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1632556185

Capacity

69 litres
15.2 UK gal
18.3 US gal

8.5 litres/mile
38.6 UK mpg
32.0 US mpg

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1632556481
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #110
sunfarm
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021Tesla Model3LR,BMW X5 45e

After own 5 months and 3500km (90% electrical mode) I will stick with my 45e probably at least 5-7 years.
Appreciate 0