10-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #1
shacksf16
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Radio turns on after phone call

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying.

2021 X5 xDrive40i

I make or receive a phone call. After hanging up, the radio turns itself on w/o input from me. It happens in Apple Carplay and in Sirius XM.

Any ideas?

Shack

Last edited by shacksf16; 10-25-2021 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

The same thing is happening to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Suspect it's a bug in recent idrive version. Our prior X5 started doing it earlier this year when idrive version was updated. I don't remember the version and we never had it fixed before turning in car (leased).

If others don't have answer, might be worth checking to see if you have most-recent version of idrive. Maybe it's been fixed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacksf16 View Post

I make or receive a phone call. After hanging up, the radio turns itself on w/o input from me. It happens in Apple Carplay and in Sirius XM.

Any ideas?

Shack
I'm also experiencing completely random switching between radio and Carplay... Only thing I can pinpoint is that Toll Booths seem to interrupt Carplay, and I'm assuming that's some sort of radio interference? (That's not the only thing triggering random switching).

Otherwise when I start the car it's a lottery which infotainment source I'll get.
      10-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
shacksf16
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
Suspect it's a bug in recent idrive version. Our prior X5 started doing it earlier this year when idrive version was updated. I don't remember the version and we never had it fixed before turning in car (leased).

If others don't have answer, might be worth checking to see if you have most-recent version of idrive. Maybe it's been fixed?
Just had it in the shop for first service. They could not duplicate the problem but did assure me the software/versions were all up to date.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, I'm not sure the radio is ever really 'off'. It's used for alerts, nav, phone calls, and sounds like it has an error with its switching logic. On some models, it also uses the amp/speakers (most of the 'radio system') for engine sounds...switching it on/off isn't great, which is why I think it's essentially always on.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shacksf16 View Post

2021 X5 xDrive40i

Any ideas?

Shack
At least that confirms i'm not crazy. Having the same issue as well. I find it mainly when i use siri to make text messages or when i'm using Maps from carplay.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not sure if the idrive version is the case...i took delivery in mid-Sep so i surmise they would have updated the car to the latest version before delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #9
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobies818 View Post
Not sure if the idrive version is the case...i took delivery in mid-Sep so i surmise they would have updated the car to the latest version before delivery.
Just know with our ‘19 it never happened for over 2 years until the latest idrive update. Oil change, new tires, idrive update and this happened on the drive home from the dealer. Did it regularly for the last few months until we turned it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #10
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just know with our ‘19 it never happened for over 2 years until the latest idrive update. Oil change, new tires, idrive update and this happened on the drive home from the dealer. Did it regularly for the last few months until we turned it in.
I suppose this is where the BMW brass was getting at when the wanted to make CarPlay an annual subscription service fee to account for constant updates to the software…or they just threw this bug in as a proof of concept needing said service fee
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #11
DickyS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Had a similar, and I expect related, experience.

I usually listen to Spotify by using the iDrive app. When I received an incoming call the iDrive Spotify would stop, I'd talk on the CarPlay call and when I hung up, Apple Music would start playing via CarPlay. Reselecting iDrive Spotify would see it play for a second or two before returning to Apple Music on my iPhone. Arrggghhhh!!!!!

To get back to the pre-call state I'd have to open Apple Music on my iPhone, go back to the iPhone home screen, go the the Media home on iDrive, kill Apple Music on my iPhone, start iDrive Spotify (pretty quickly, or I'd have to go back to the start of the process). Of course, I'd have to stop to do this safely.

I *think* this behaviour was introduced by iOS15.0, somewhere deep in the (very poorly documented) "Enhanced Integration" code that is enabled by default under the iPhone's CarPlay settings. The good news is the update to iOS15.1 fixed this annoying behaviour. After taking a call, the audio again returns to whatever was interrupted.
Appreciate 0