BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-30-2021, 03:48 AM   #1
Shortside
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Touch Screen Deleted

Picking up my X5 in Spartanburg in two weeks, currently
at”ready for transport status”. Get a call yesterday from the dealer telling me that the touch screen is no longer available and BMW will credit me $500. Not happy
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 04:46 AM   #2
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Wow that’s awful. So iDrive wheel control only? Where are you located? It seems like the US market gets the shaft when it comes to feature omissions.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Crazy, hope screen resolution is the same
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #4
DrPartagas
Private First Class
Rep

Unacceptable

Last minute cash credits for unavailable equipment are unacceptable. It appears that a +70,000. vehicle is slowly becoming a "plain Jane" with a nice BMW logo as its selling point. I wouldn't accept this nonsense. Instead, I'd wait until the X5 vehicle has everything that I want in my "luxury" mid size SUV or I'd find a competitor who can supply what I seek. Otherwise, I'd hunker in and wait. If BMW sales decrease, they will become more aggressive in finding remedies for these issues. Trailer hitch, laser lights, touch screen.....??? What's next?
Appreciate 2
hyde541.00
Jetrik38.00
      10-30-2021, 06:05 AM   #5
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Honestly if my 2020 X5 was not fully loaded including, soft close doors, acoustic glass, air suspension, wireless charging, heated and cooled cup holders, etc. I would have never spent the money. I get there are shortages, but I agree this vehicle although great is not worth $75 grand+ missing features that are available from even non luxury brands at 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost?
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
KLCC79.50
      10-30-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortside View Post
Not happy
welcome to the forum. sorry your initial post here introduces your unhappiness, but this is already an ongoing topic. Please utilize the 'search' function in order to avoid redundant/duplicate threads.

Touch Screen Option Credit Coming? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869843

not to add fuel to the fire, but if you optioned the Parking Assistance Package, you will also lose the Backup Assistant component. hopefully your dealer mentioned that as well, if applicable.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 06:48 AM   #7
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Not happy
welcome to the forum. sorry your initial post here introduces your unhappiness, but this is already an ongoing topic. Please utilize the 'search' function in order to avoid redundant/duplicate threads.

Touch Screen Option Credit Coming? https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869843

not to add fuel to the fire, but if you optioned the Parking Assistance Package, you will also lose the Backup Assistant component. hopefully your dealer mentioned that as well, if applicable.
Quote:
Quote:
Not happy

So, let me get this straight…you get $500 credit for touchscreen delete, but $0 for losing backup assistant?
Appreciate 1
hyde541.00
      10-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #8
Ashme
Private
Rep
Drives: Viper, GX460, BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartagas View Post
Last minute cash credits for unavailable equipment are unacceptable. It appears that a +70,000. vehicle is slowly becoming a "plain Jane" with a nice BMW logo as its selling point. I wouldn't accept this nonsense. Instead, I'd wait until the X5 vehicle has everything that I want in my "luxury" mid size SUV or I'd find a competitor who can supply what I seek. Otherwise, I'd hunker in and wait. If BMW sales decrease, they will become more aggressive in finding remedies for these issues. Trailer hitch, laser lights, touch screen.....??? What's next?
That’s not true. Even basic cars have touch screens.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
So, let me get this straight…you get $500 credit for touchscreen delete, but $0 for losing backup assistant?
makes sense as the touch screen was hardware while the Backup Assistant was a programmed feature. (we don't lose any physical cameras so no 'money' lost.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartagas View Post
Last minute cash credits for unavailable equipment are unacceptable. It appears that a +70,000. vehicle is slowly becoming a "plain Jane" with a nice BMW logo as its selling point.[…]
That's not true. Even basic cars have touch screens.
Ashme he was referring to more than just the touch screen. in less than a year, MY22 vehicles have lost many options and features compared to MY20/MY21. While I don't agree the situation is "unacceptable" given the real supply shortages, it is somewhat frustrating that a luxury vehicle is missing many features that promote it to luxury status. One can also argue that the cash credits don't amount to the retail value of a similar replacement which hits consumers' wallets directly. then there's the flip side where manufacturers will argue that luxury is more than just those options, but the time and money spent in engineering the base vehicle itself.

nonetheless, difficult times breed difficult decisions. personally, i would likely still purchase a BMW with missing 'luxury' features over a fully optioned non-luxury vehicle brand (to a certain extent, of course).

Last edited by nZtiZia; 10-30-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 3
nomoracin758.00
evodz127.00
thereef5101164.00
      10-30-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
makes sense as the touch screen was hardware while the Backup Assistant was a programmed feature. (we don't lose any physical cameras so no 'money' lost.)

Ashme he was referring to more than just the touch screen. in less than a year, MY22 vehicles have lost many options and features compared to MY20/MY21. While I don't agree the situation is "unacceptable" given the real supply shortages, it is somewhat frustrating that a luxury vehicle is missing many features that promote it to luxury status. One can also argue that the cash credits don't amount to the retail value of a similar replacement which hits consumers' wallets directly. then there's the flip side where manufacturers will argue that luxury is more than just those options, but the time and money spent in engineering the base vehicle itself.

nonetheless, difficult times breed difficult decisions. personally, i would likely still purchase a BMW with missing 'luxury' features over a fully optioned non-luxury vehicle brand (to a certain extent, of course).
There are two different meanings for "unacceptable" in this context. Based on known facts, I don't think it is "unacceptable" in the sense that the dealer, or BMW, are engaged in some sort of shady business practices. I am certain that they want to sell fully optioned vehicles and deliver them with everything originally planned. We all know the circumstances leading to the shortages, and BMW neither caused them nor perpetuated them.

But it is, in my view, "unacceptable" in the sense that I will not buy this car unless I can get the options I want. I keep cars a long time, and am not buying an $80k vehicle filled with disappointments. I'll gladly pay the money for the car I want but not a watered down version, regardless of "blame."
Appreciate 2
nomoracin758.00
floop20.00
      10-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
But it is, in my view, "unacceptable" in the sense that I will not buy this car unless I can get the options I want. I keep cars a long time, and am not buying an $80k vehicle filled with disappointments. I'll gladly pay the money for the car I want but not a watered down version, regardless of "blame."
if i had a vehicle about to be delivered (versus placing an order knowing what's all missing) and my desired options were suddenly dropped, i would likely cancel my order based on which options were removed despite a cash credit, but one's definition of "acceptable" or "unacceptable" is ultimately based on that individual's perception of value, which is highly variable from person to person. IOW, there's no one right answer here.
Appreciate 2
sebseb72.00
TGTBTU84.00
      10-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
if i had a vehicle about to be delivered (versus placing an order knowing what's all missing) and my desired options were suddenly dropped, i would likely cancel my order based on which options were removed despite a cash credit, but one's definition of "acceptable" or "unacceptable" is ultimately based on that individual's perception of value, which is highly variable from person to person. IOW, there's no one right answer here.
Exactly. It also depends on what features/options are being deleted. I lost the passenger side lumbar and width adjustment on the M340i. That didn't both me since it was not going to be used for long trips. If the same thing happened on my X5 I may have considered cancelling since I want as much comfort as possible for my wife when on long road trips.

Some folks also need to have the vehicle due to end of lease, sellng another, etc. so they may have to compromise and take it. Others are just buying to get a new one so it is easy for them to just cancel and wait it out.

While we can certainly criticize BMW's, and probably more so the dealer's, communication regarding what features/options are being removed, I think for the large part they should be complimented for still producing the vehicles as best they can rather than just stopping like some have. These are unprecedented times in regards to raw material, supply chain, labor, logistics, etc. problems and they are at least trying to deliver a product in this perfect storm of production/distribution issues.
nZtiZia4635.50
      10-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Yea, I went in knowing and accepting that there are no foglights, but touchscreen was expected along with the Backup Assistant. BA wasn't our main reason to get the Parking Package, but it was definitely a pro when deciding on it, so to not get compensated for that feels "unacceptable" to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #14
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

It would be fair from BMW to 0. notify customers beforehand, 1. refund $500, 2. initiate a recall and replace non-touch to touch at no cost when they fix part supply issues.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Yea, I went in knowing and accepting that there are no foglights, but touchscreen was expected along with the Backup Assistant. BA wasn't our main reason to get the Parking Package, but it was definitely a pro when deciding on it, so to not get compensated for that feels "unacceptable" to me.
your feelings are completely warranted in this case

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
It would be fair from BMW to 0. notify customers beforehand, 1. refund $500, 2. initiate a recall and replace non-touch to touch at no cost when they fix part supply issues.
100% to number 2! that type of resolution recommendation needs to be fed to corporate. that's 'sort of' what they're doing with the current high voltage battery recall
Appreciate 1
bandersen586.00
      10-30-2021, 11:54 AM   #16
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Absolutely no way I would by a new X5 or for that matter any new BMW right now. I'd either wait or try to find a used one with the equipment I want. This market is crazy and really sucks. So glad I bought out my lease in May.
Appreciate 1
parkstr8562.00
      10-30-2021, 11:57 AM   #17
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

soon, BMW will ship X5 with window crank and credit buyer $50
Appreciate 6
sebseb72.00
GrussGott18116.50
hyde541.00
Rondi143.50
      10-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
soon, BMW will ship X5 with window crank and credit buyer $50
Initial delivery of the new 4 Series Gran Coupes have manual front seat adjustment instead of electronic adjustments and memory.

Not far from window cranks hahaha
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #19
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Exactly. It also depends on what features/options are being deleted. I lost the passenger side lumbar and width adjustment on the M340i. That didn't both me since it was not going to be used for long trips. If the same thing happened on my X5 I may have considered cancelling since I want as much comfort as possible for my wife when on long road trips.

Some folks also need to have the vehicle due to end of lease, sellng another, etc. so they may have to compromise and take it. Others are just buying to get a new one so it is easy for them to just cancel and wait it out.

While we can certainly criticize BMW's, and probably more so the dealer's, communication regarding what features/options are being removed, I think for the large part they should be complimented for still producing the vehicles as best they can rather than just stopping like some have. These are unprecedented times in regards to raw material, supply chain, labor, logistics, etc. problems and they are at least trying to deliver a product in this perfect storm of production/distribution issues.
Given that the X5 is probably BMW's most important model right now to their business, which of their competitors are stopping production of their X5 competitive model. Not saying you are wrong, just curious.

I am not sure there is a feature that will result in lost sales. Right now demand is so high relative to supply and people are being conditioned to pay for less. This is not just BMW, but pretty much all the auto companies.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #20
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Wow that’s awful. So iDrive wheel control only? Where are you located? It seems like the US market gets the shaft when it comes to feature omissions.
Also in europe, planning to order, there is like a full sheet of what is not available
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #21
Shortside
Rep

Quote:

I appreciate what you are saying and I fully respect and appreciate the information. My frustration is mainly because I was not informed on the deletion until after my car was complete.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:27 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Given that the X5 is probably BMW's most important model right now to their business, which of their competitors are stopping production of their X5 competitive model. Not saying you are wrong, just curious.

I am not sure there is a feature that will result in lost sales. Right now demand is so high relative to supply and people are being conditioned to pay for less. This is not just BMW, but pretty much all the auto companies.
You will have to research that yourself if you are interested. Competitive models bring cut have nothing to do with my post.
Appreciate 0