GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

Is BMW saying the touch screen will be retrofitted like Porsche is?
According to a dealer on another site, no - there won't be any retrofit:
All indications are that dealer retrofit will not be a viable option based on what I am seeing..
Of course the key word there is "dealer" and maybe bimmertech or IND will have something ... but it'll require software which seems tricky ...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:40 PM   #46
bobt1972
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

That's a ridiculous downgrade without a retrofit on a 70-100k car. Would be a deal breaker for me, personally.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:03 PM   #47
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Have you guys seen BMW returning with the feature after they removed due to supply issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:12 PM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Have you guys seen BMW returning with the feature after they removed due to supply issue?
Yes, there have been some items that have had temporary production constraints and then returned. Actually happened before COVID if I remember correctly.
      11-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #49
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I rarely use the touchscreen. I actually find it way easier to use the wheel than the screen. Having to touch the screen means taking your eyes off the road to see the screen to know where to touch. But I'm a pinch it is definitely easier to quickly hit the screen. The idrive interface is very easy and simple to navigate without the touchscreen. CarPlay however is very poorly designed to work without touch.
Yup. Both CarPlay and Android Auto are touch based. Whether it is audio or navigation I personally prefer the quality of my phone apps way better (CarPlay actually is one reason I prefer the X5 over the Tesla Model Y). Also getting on zoom and teams calls with CarPlay is so easy! I like how Apple Maps can guess where I need to go based on my schedule etc.

Biggest difference of course is the audio quality over the phone.

But if you prefer the standard apps that come with the car, then touch may not be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #50
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hard to believe that the abscense of "soft close" doors and heated/cooled cup holders would cause anyone reason not to order an X5. Simply amazing as these are two of the most ridiculous, useless junk, options I've ever heard of.
Honestly laughable.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #51
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
you can use the interactive map using the iDrive controller. When nav (or map) is on, push down and then you can select interactive and use the controller to move around.
Yes but is a pain in the ass and a lot slower than touchscreen
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #52
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post
Hard to believe that the abscense of "soft close" doors and heated/cooled cup holders would cause anyone reason not to order an X5. Simply amazing as these are two of the most ridiculous, useless junk, options I've ever heard of.
Honestly laughable.
While the lack of soft close doors and heated / cooled cup holders didn't keep me from ordering, I don't think it's fair to just dismiss what others want in their vehicle. It's all personal preference. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean they're junk.
Appreciate 4
      11-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #53
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup. Both CarPlay and Android Auto are touch based. Whether it is audio or navigation I personally prefer the quality of my phone apps way better (CarPlay actually is one reason I prefer the X5 over the Tesla Model Y). Also getting on zoom and teams calls with CarPlay is so easy! I like how Apple Maps can guess where I need to go based on my schedule etc.

But if you prefer the standard apps that come with the car, then touch may not be an issue.
I hate fingerprints on the screen so I try to use the iDrive controller as much as possible, but I found that there are things that are only accessible via touchscreen.

For example, when in the iDrive Spotify app and playing a song, you can't highlight and select the Artist (to go to that artist's "homepage" for lack of a better word) unless you use touchscreen. Not a huge deal obviously, but I do feel like not having a touchscreen would be a dealbreaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #54
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
While the lack of soft close doors and heated / cooled cup holders didn't keep me from ordering, I don't think it's fair to just dismiss what others want in their vehicle. It's all personal preference. Just because you don't want them doesn't mean they're junk.
I'm sure we all understand the concept of personal preferences. "Prefer" what ever you want.
You missed the point.
The decision to purchase vehicle A, B, or C based on the abscence or presence of a couple totally frivolous, options is foolish.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #55
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure we all understand the concept of personal preferences. "Prefer" what ever you want.
You missed the point.
The decision to purchase vehicle A, B, or C based on the abscence or presence of a couple totally frivolous, options is foolish.
Actually I think you missed his point. Some people do not consider those and other items totally frivolous and it is perfectly fine to not purchase a vehicle without them. They are free to spend their money, or not spend it, on what they want to just like you are. Everyone values things differently.
nZtiZia4647.50
Chas8283351.50
CGG170.00
TXSchnee1315.00
FCX52380.50
      11-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #56
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
This is 100% dealbreaker for me. I can't imagine an X5 without touch screen. Seat heating/cooling controls, map inputs, … yeah, no thanks. If this is not blackmailing then what is?
      11-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #57
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Actually I think you missed his point. Some people do not consider those and other items totally frivolous and it is perfectly fine to not purchase a vehicle without them. They are free to spend their money, or not spend it, on what they want to just like you are. Everyone values things differently.
Preach!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #58
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

FCX5
If you have an exiting x5 w/ Touchscreen, can you elaborate on IF you only use iDrive, what you can or can NOT do with the screen; Carplay, or otherwise?

For many of us, waiting delivery w/ no touch ;(, we are either trying to rationalize keeping delivery OR jumping ship and . . . not getting a new X5 or waiting 6 months to reassess if SC has improved.

Quote:

Last edited by dananelson1; 11-03-2021 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #59
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
FCX5
If you have an exiting x5 w/ Touchscreen, can you elaborate on IF you only use iDrive, what you can or can NOT do with the screen; Carplay, or otherwise?

For many of us, waiting delivery w/ no touch, we are trying to either trying to rationalize keeping delivery OR jumping ship and . . . not getting a new X5 or waiting 6 months to reassess if SC has improved.
My 2 cents

The touchscreen makes things very easy to navigate...especially with CarPlay.

the BMW's native apps are simple enough to navigate with the iDrive wheel...and i sometimes prefer to use it in the BMW environment.

CarPlay...with the oversized icons and simple UX...touch is the way to go for me.

Maps...i typically enter destinations only via my phone which automatically interfaces with the car...or by summoning Siri with the "Hey Siri" command and instructing her where i want to go.
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #60
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
Preach!
Isn't sanctimony precious.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #61
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
Preach!
If BMW was going to retrofit the missing options, you would have a valid point. However they aren't, and if a person spending $60k and up on a vehicle finds missing luxury items to be a deal breaker, that is their right. The X5 is ostensibly a luxury vehicle, not a utilitarian transportation device.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #62
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FCX5

For many of us, waiting delivery w/ no touch, we are trying to either trying to rationalize keeping delivery OR jumping ship and . . . not getting a new X5 or waiting 6 months to reassess if SC has improved.
Not sure if this helps, but here's my experience with Android Auto.

I'll test later to make sure what conditions have to be true, but there have been times when I tried to enter a destination in Google Maps, and the phone functionality was disabled because the car was running.

Instead, it prompts me to use the keyboard on the touchscreen, which is easy enough. But I can't imagine doing it using the iDrive controller. It's a full qwerty keyboard, and it's probably a pain in the ass. As I mentioned above I hate fingerprints, but this is a case where I'll just use the touchscreen to enter my destination (and wipe down later of course lol)

Like I said, I'll test it out when I get a chance as I can't remember all the details. Also, I have to imagine that if there is no touchscreen, BMW will accommodate and change how certain inputs are entered...I hope?
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #63
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
FCX5

Not sure if this helps, but here's my experience with Android Auto.

I'll test later to make sure what conditions have to be true, but there have been times when I tried to enter a destination in Google Maps, and the phone functionality was disabled because the car was running.

Instead, it prompts me to use the keyboard on the touchscreen, which is easy enough. But I can't imagine doing it using the iDrive controller. It's a full qwerty keyboard, and it's probably a pain in the ass. As I mentioned above I hate fingerprints, but this is a case where I'll just use the touchscreen to enter my destination (and wipe down later of course lol)

Like I said, I'll test it out when I get a chance as I can't remember all the details. Also, I have to imagine that if there is no touchscreen, BMW will accommodate and change how certain inputs are entered...I hope?
This one of the QOL and major benefit for touch display on the G05. The most annoying aspect of prior iDrive generations was inputting text. Especially the complex 20 character password I use for ConnectedDrive LOL…….

Previous gen iDrive in the F15 introduced iDrive controller touchpad which still standard on current G05 despite shortage.

You can still enter text by using the iDrive controller touchpad but it's slow f'ing gesturing every letter LOL and deleting if it translates incorrectly but the system does auto suggest but you'll have to knob over to select.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #64
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
This one of the QOL and major benefit for touch display on the G05. The most annoying aspect of prior iDrive generations was inputting text. Especially the complex 20 character password I use for ConnectedDrive LOL…….

Previous gen iDrive in the F15 introduced iDrive controller touchpad which still standard on current G05 despite shortage.

You can still enter text by using the iDrive controller touchpad but it's slow f'ing gesturing every letter LOL and deleting if it translates incorrectly but the system does auto suggest but you'll have to knob over to select.
100% agree on entering text using the touchpad. This being my first BMW it was fun for about 5 minutes, and haven't used it since. Way too slow, and I think I have my eyes off the road longer than if I was using the touchscreen because I have to check whether or not my input was properly interpreted (however, I have horrible handwriting so maybe it's just me lol)
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      11-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #65
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

100% agree on entering text using the touchpad. This being my first BMW it was fun for about 5 minutes, and haven't used it since. Way too slow, and I think I have my eyes off the road longer than if I was using the touchscreen because I have to check whether or not my input was properly interpreted (however, I have horrible handwriting so maybe it's just me lol)
Haha you're not the only one with horrible handwriting and thinking how do I gesture a f'comma versus apostrophe. I endured it for 3 years and ja, it's ok for first 5 minutes but not on a daily basis, haha!

Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Your posts sound just like Speedyman. If you aren’t I would suggest thinking about the tone of your posts or you will end up being banned like he did. If you are him I would suggest leaving before they catch you and invoke the $15k fee for the account.
Appreciate 0