Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I have Android Auto and pinch to zoom out works on the touch screen. Another thing is the compass arrow which can be touched to toggle always North or follow your direction. I don't know how these could be done with iDrive.
Yes, works on touch screen. Pinch to zoom does not work on the top of the iDrive controller knob that can act as a touchpad for some things. It works for BMW navigation but not Apple CarPlay not sure about Android Auto.

I would like to see BMW replace the stupid iDrive controller wheel (yes, I don't really like it) w/a flat touchpad. IMHO that will be more useful than the iDrive controller wheel or a touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #90
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Yes, works on touch screen. Pinch to zoom does not work on the top of the iDrive controller knob that can act as a touchpad for some things. It works for BMW navigation but not Apple CarPlay not sure about Android Auto.

I would like to see BMW replace the stupid iDrive controller wheel (yes, I don't really like it) w/a flat touchpad. IMHO that will be more useful than the iDrive controller wheel or a touchscreen.
I have a flat touchpad on my GLE, a complete waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #91
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
So in CarPlay you don't use touch - you use iDrive and toggle or scroll around...hmm.
That is correct but I do not use it as extensively as some other folks.
      11-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #92
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Another one is using the Parking Assistant and touching the screen to change camera view. Can you do that with iDrive?
      11-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #93
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Another one is using the Parking Assistant and touching the screen to change camera view. Can you do that with iDrive?
Haven't tried parking assistant but yes to changing camera views via iDrive. It's for sure more of a pain than using the touchscreen, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #94
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
omasou Oh it's for sure all frivolous in the scheme of life. Sounds like you are wasting too much time reading our rants (warranted and unwarranted) ....there is a very handy X button on the top right of your screen tab
Rantings fine. What's I don't understand is when folk start stamping their feet and talking about refusing the order or that a luxury car should have every option, etc. or that $500 is not enough. Really.

I've been tracking the changes or should I say deletions MY 2022 X5/X6 Option Casualties and some were MY2020 changes after the introduction, some more where MY2021 changes and repackaging.

Everyone taking delivery now should have known full well what was and was not available. I believe the only loss in the last few months have been the tow hitch (yes that's a big one), touch screen and backup assistants. The latter two most people would have never known about if they don't own a current BMW or read the forums.

I don't have a touch screen in my X4 but I do in my M2C. I miss it in my X4 and rarely use it in my M2C but it's nice to know that it's there should I want to use it. So I get it but I am sure as hell not going to cancel my order thinking something is better will come along or that we will see a flooding return of options anytime soon. In fact, I was trying to hack together my VIN by looking at used car VINs. I found one 2020 X6 w/20K miles for $79K!!!! Yeah, it had fog lights but so f**in what.

Last edited by omasou; 11-03-2021 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #95
Gstahl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
What my takeaway is that I always thought that the X5 was the best value in it's class. Given that BMW can reduce features with minimal impact on demand or price simple shows that it is true. How many people are actually going to cancel orders because of the lack of a touch screen. My guess is not many. If you want an X5, you are going to get an X5. I bet if only M50i came with a touchscreen, people would upgrade their orders to M50i and pay (borrow) the difference. Is that what BMW will do to get people into higher margin models?

If demand remains high, despite the loss of a touchscreen, will BMW bring it back and reduce profits?

This is an insane situation. We feel bad for the car companies because they have this shortage, yet they are racking up record profits every month since the shortage began by cutting features. Can this last?
Also one note is I am in CA and need a carpool sticker for my daily commute (without it, even now I am hit for like 40-60 min extra daily). That limits choices a bunch.

Looking at other options... The simple EV choice was a Tesla M3 but I am former Tesla owner and that was a no go. Then you have the premium direction Porsche Taycan but the depreciation on new technology (in dollars) is pretty darn high. From there you have limits the set of models on the CARB approved page. BMW seems very much the best of the bunch (on face value).

Anyone with an order losing functionality has the sunk cost fallacy hurting their ability to make a good choice... at what point with everything else being even would you not have chosen the BMW is the first place (and the real question on time if you decide to abandon your current order).

Just some thoughts.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #96
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
FCX5
If you have an exiting x5 w/ Touchscreen, can you elaborate on IF you only use iDrive, what you can or can NOT do with the screen; Carplay, or otherwise?

For many of us, waiting delivery w/ no touch ;(, we are either trying to rationalize keeping delivery OR jumping ship and . . . not getting a new X5 or waiting 6 months to reassess if SC has improved.
I use the touch screen to turn things on and off. I use it to change the camera view. I use it to zoom the screen. Lots of other stuff, and yes, you can (usually) use the ID7 controller to do the same things. Or Voice Control. Nice to have options, and some options are faster than others in a given situation. It IS a luxury car. If I wanted one option, I would have bought a Honda.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #97
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Honestly, if you can afford to wait until these issues ease up - or buy a cheaper car in the meantime - that is 100% what I would do. Yes, the X5 is a joy to drive but it also has (had?) great technology. I can understand people who have different preferences or use cases who already weren’t going to order the car with the backup assistant saying “oh well this isn’t really that useful so don’t worry about it” but the bottom line is some people do care about that feature and for those that do it can be incredibly useful (eg if you have a long driveway that you normally have to back out of). Even driving around in NYC I use the parking assistant almost every time that I need to parallel park - maybe not that often as I usually park in a garage - but still, it is a cool feature and I’m super happy my car has it (not the least of which how it wows passengers and people on the street when I show them I’m parking “hands free” :-) ). It may sound frivolous but part of what you are buying in a 70-90k car is the bragging rights and cool technology. If that is a feature that you value and are willing to pay for it is entirely understandable to be upset or disappointed that it is not currently available.

Re the touch screen, I would honestly cancel my order if I was called up and told the touchscreen was deleted. Seriously, that is the easiest and most common input mechanism for a large variety of use cases. Typing on the keyboard as mentioned but also simply navigating around the screen, turning the voice navigation on and off, etc. Sure, this is achievable via the wheel as well but lack of touch screen is definitely an issue in an expensive luxury vehicle. I guess BMW is able to do this because most of the controls have physical buttons as well (eg imagine if no physical button for a/c etc) - but still, imo the touchscreen is a required feature in this type of car. Maybe if they have a $10k discount but for $500? Definitely not.

Considering most people lease their car for 3 years or buy it with the intention to keep it for much longer than that, I certainly wouldn’t commit to one of these lacking these basic features. Better to buy a cheap car with the intention of swapping out of it when the situation improves or pay up to buy a used X5 that has features you want. Luckily I have a well equipped 2020 and if these issues persist when my lease is up in a year I’ll probably end up just buying out my current car - notwithstanding a minor fender bender in my garage where someone drove along the side of my car which likely dented (no pun intended, hah!) the eventual resale value, or maybe not!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #98
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Keeping fingers crossed that BMW is able to bring back the Touchscreen ASAP. hopefully within this month itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 05:17 AM   #99
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Keeping fingers crossed that BMW is able to bring back the Touchscreen ASAP. hopefully within this month itself.
Can't see that happening, if it was the case they would have stopped producing for a month, would guess it will be a long time until it comes back like other deletions. Harmon Karmen and wireless charging haven't been available for nearly 6 months.

My car is due to arrive in UK next week (or that's what I am being told)
hopefully it will have doors and an engine fitted as I am getting very nervous about what will be missing.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #100
mgiannetto
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

When I informed my wife that the the touch screen was being deleted on her '22 build (which is in quality check now by the way), she said "so what I don't use it in my current X5". Could not have cared less.

I would have preferred it, but it's not my daily driver. I would not cancel the order over it that is for sure.

My daily is an Audi SQ5 and they went full touch screen in my '21. Personally I would prefer a hybrid with a dial or mouse and a touch screen if I had my druthers.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #101
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
since 2008, our bimmers all had iDrive controlled by the joystick. touch screen was introduced in 2016, so my wife's 2017 535i had it and more recently her 2020 G30. if we had a vehicle on order during this time and it were deleted, we wouldn't cancel
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #102
Somecarguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 xDrive 40i

Just a quick question sort of relating to all of this - is anyone crawling around on other boards (MB, Audi, Porsche, etc.) and is it the same sort of pandemonium on there as it is on here relating to missing/removed options, delayed production, shortages, etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #103
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thank you guys. A lot of options are easier to manage and access through touchscreen vs the controller.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #104
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Can't see that happening, if it was the case they would have stopped producing for a month, would guess it will be a long time until it comes back like other deletions. Harmon Karmen and wireless charging haven't been available for nearly 6 months.

My car is due to arrive in UK next week (or that's what I am being told)
hopefully it will have doors and an engine fitted as I am getting very nervous about what will be missing.
I don't know about stopping production for a month, but I do tend to believe that it may be awhile before the touchscreen comes back.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #105
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somecarguy View Post
Just a quick question sort of relating to all of this - is anyone crawling around on other boards (MB, Audi, Porsche, etc.) and is it the same sort of pandemonium on there as it is on here relating to missing/removed options, delayed production, shortages, etc?
I can't speak to the extent for each individual brand, but for the most part, yes.

Friend is trying to purchase a Mach-E, was initially given a 3 month wait but it just keeps getting extended out.

Another example that was posted here awhile ago is the Escalade losing SuperCruise because of the chip shortage.

Unfortunately the whole situation is very fluid right now so things can quickly change without much notice.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #106
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
You will be fine man. I haven't touched it (intentionally) once. My kiddo likes to touch it and he knows I don't like it The finger marks on the display is freaking annoying to me. Even on the door panel too.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #107
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somecarguy View Post
Definitely not the issues on Merc GLE forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #108
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
I can't speak to the extent for each individual brand, but for the most part, yes.

Friend is trying to purchase a Mach-E, was initially given a 3 month wait but it just keeps getting extended out.

Another example that was posted here awhile ago is the Escalade losing SuperCruise because of the chip shortage.

Unfortunately the whole situation is very fluid right now so things can quickly change without much notice.
Escalades are very hot items, hard to find and big asking price mark ups.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #109
John925
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xdrive40i

Here is what my dealer sent me today

“ I did get a notice that they built the car without the touchscreen nav, but there is a fix available by the time the car arrives here. It may add a few days to delivery, but I still expect that you will be able to take delivery by month end. ”
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John925 View Post
Here is what my dealer sent me today

“ I did get a notice that they built the car without the touchscreen nav, but there is a fix available by the time the car arrives here. It may add a few days to delivery, but I still expect that you will be able to take delivery by month end. ”
Sounds like your CA is confusing the software required for the non-touchscreen with a fix.
Appreciate 0