BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
js0823
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5 Prestige 3.0 2014

Placed order weeks ago, dealer still not taking my deposit

Hi guys.

I placed an order for a new BMW X5 45e 2022 model over two weeks ago, and the dealer has not taken the deposit from me till now.

I called the guy few days ago, and he told me he just forgot and he will do it right away. I also asked him if my order is in production yet and he said not yet. Two days later, which is today, the deposit is still not taken off from my bank account.

Anyway, I'm just wondering (and slightly worried) why the dealer isn't taking the deposit. This has never happened to me before (dealership usually takes the deposit on the spot) so I'm not sure what this dealer is trying to do here.

What does it mean if the dealership isn't taking my deposit until now? Should I be worried that the dealership hasn't actually put my order in?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

My dealer did the same and I panicked until he sent me the production sheet. My SA was very good about updating me with texts though.

So, they did not even take the deposit after all and I paid in full for the car only after it was completed. Wierd.
allinon724892.00
      11-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

I ordered my 2022 X5 40i on 10/5 and delivered my deposit of $1000 check to my SA the next day. But my SA's manager put in the order on 10/5 (I got the production number on the same day) even prior to me delivering the deposit to them. Also, my dealership is only holding onto the check and not actually depositing it (I still don't see a withdraw on that check yet). Not sure if the order process varies by dealerships, but that is my experience. My order is currently "IN TRANSIT" status and is expected to take delivery next week....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Your dealer doesn't likely have an allocation for 22.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
js0823
Rep

Thanks for the response.

It seems like I may want to ask for the production number. Is production number something the customer can ask? If the dealer doesn't have production number yet, would that mean the order wasn't in? Or could it mean the order is in but production hasn't started yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by js0823 View Post
Thanks for the response.

It seems like I may want to ask for the production number. Is production number something the customer can ask? If the dealer doesn't have production number yet, would that mean the order wasn't in? Or could it mean the order is in but production hasn't started yet?
Yes, you can ask for it and the dealer should provide it. If they don't have a production number then there is no order. It sounds like they don't have an allocation and they are either waiting for one or trying to trade with another dealer for one.
      11-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
js0823
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Yes, you can ask for it and the dealer should provide it. If they don't have a production number then there is no order. It sounds like they don't have an allocation and they are either waiting for one or trying to trade with another dealer for one.
Gotcha thanks for the response that is super helpful. I will ask the dealer for the production number.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
taek
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

My Mercedes dealer never took a deposit on an order either. They said it was a requirement of ordering but when I showed up with a check they waved it off.

I do agree you want to get a production # or some kind of evidence you have an allocation assigned to you.

But the deposit is probably just a dealer thing. People have ordered cars and had the dealer take their deposit, and found out the car was never ordered. It's not a concrete sign either way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yea, my SA told me it’s just a “good faith” deposit check. Unless it’s a very special custom order, I’m sure they would have no issue selling it right away if you ended up not wanting it, especially right now….
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
js0823
Rep

So I contacted the dealer and he told me that my order does not have the production number yet because my order is in "order bank", which means it's still waiting to go into production.

To me that simply means my order never got into production, although he kept telling me it was until today when I asked for the production number.

At this point I feel like cancelling the order not just due to absence of so many standard/optional features (and now the touchscreen), but due to his dishonesty of this dealer. Seriously, it's been 3 weeks since I ordered it, and he told me the order will be in right away and I should be seeing the car sometime in December.

I was so looking forward to changing my Audi to a BMW
Thanks so much for all the help. This forum is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 03:44 AM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
So I contacted the dealer and he told me that my order does not have the production number yet because my order is in "order bank", which means it's still waiting to go into production.

To me that simply means my order never got into production, although he kept telling me it was until today when I asked for the production number.

At this point I feel like cancelling the order not just due to absence of so many standard/optional features (and now the touchscreen), but due to his dishonesty of this dealer. Seriously, it's been 3 weeks since I ordered it, and he told me the order will be in right away and I should be seeing the car sometime in December.

If you don't have a fairly urgent need for the vehicle then I would suggest cancelling this order and holding off until next year when things will hopefully be returning to normal.
      11-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Sounds like they don't even have an allocation yet. My custom order was an 11 week wait, but it had a production number on day 1 even though it was 10 weeks away from production.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      11-05-2021, 05:52 PM   #13
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I agree with Turtleboy. With all these shortages and 'features deletions' problems today, might as well wait it out until the dust settles.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Two possibilities:

(1.) Your dealer is an idiot
(2.) Your dealer is lying to you, doesn't have an allocation, and is feeding you a load of BS.

Net-net, there's no "order bank" - all dealer allocations have production numbers, so if there's production number for you, then your dealer is too dumb to know where it is or he doesn't have an allocation he can or wants to give to you.

For these reasons, if you can, I'd cancel & wait until after january and then re-order with a different dealer ...

I wouldn't let your dealer experience ruin your BMW experience - happens with Audi too. Unfortunately it's hard to find good dealers and, even if you do, they're always just a staff change away from becoming bad dealers.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
DrMilan
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 30i, G20 330i, G05 40i

I’m in Australia and normally dealer takes $3000 deposit
I ordered two months ago and still they haven’t asked.
I’m not complaining, money in my pocket longer is better.
Not worried either because I’m in constant contact with my sales rep.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #16
ramblingpolak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e (PN allocated)

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Two possibilities:

(2.) Your dealer is lying to you, doesn't have an allocation, and is feeding you a load of BS.

Net-net, there's no "order bank" - all dealer allocations have production numbers, so if there's production number for you, then your dealer is too dumb to know where it is or he doesn't have an allocation he can or wants to give to you.

For these reasons, if you can, I'd cancel & wait until after january and then re-order with a different dealer ...

I wouldn't let your dealer experience ruin your BMW experience - happens with Audi too. Unfortunately it's hard to find good dealers and, even if you do, they're always just a staff change away from becoming bad dealers.
Hmm I'm in a similar boat. Dealer took my $1000 deposit but no production number (waiting on allocation). I spoke with another dealer asking why I would want to take my business there and he replied with "we often get more allocations than other dealers". Both quoted me about 12 weeks. Figured this was all bs.

In any case all the deletions got me wondering if I should just cancel--i don't urgently need a new car and I'm not motivated to spend 80k on a car that isn't going to ship with what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:17 AM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblingpolak View Post

all the deletions got me wondering if I should just cancel--i don't urgently need a new car and I'm not motivated to spend 80k on a car that isn't going to ship with what I wanted.
If a dealer has an allocation they want to assign to you, you'll immediately get a PN ... via emails I always ask for the PN first before any other thing; no PN, nothing more to discuss.

If touch screens/backup assistant/anything else that's gone away is on your list of wants then I'd for sure wait.
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #18
ramblingpolak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e (PN allocated)

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblingpolak View Post

all the deletions got me wondering if I should just cancel--i don't urgently need a new car and I'm not motivated to spend 80k on a car that isn't going to ship with what I wanted.
If a dealer has an allocation they want to assign to you, you'll immediately get a PN ... via emails I always ask for the PN first before any other thing; no PN, nothing more to discuss.

If touch screens/backup assistant/anything else that's gone away is on your list of wants then I'd for sure wait.
Thanks. Wish I'd checked out this forum beforehand. The lack of transparency has been disappointing on the dealer side.

Wonder if there's any SF Bay Area dealer folks on here are generally fond of for when I get back to it.

Guessing I'll be buying some temporary car for the next year or two elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #19
ThomasShelby
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e M Sport

I placed an order for a X5 45e on 10/26 and a production number was created within 24 hours. That said, it is now 11/8 and it is still in "order received" stage and that they're making space in the schedule for my production. I'm getting nervous that BMW will drop another supply chain bomb and cancel/delay the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:45 AM   #20
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

Quote:
Two possibilities:

Actually, there is an "order bank" in the BMW system. It is basically a waiting list. The dealer can re-sort that order bank based on their whims and assign allocations to those orders if and when they receive them.

To the OP, you are on the waiting list. BMW has no commitment to building your vehicle at this point. If another buyer stops by and places an order at a higher margin than your deal, the dealer will most likely move that order ahead of you. Like others have said, if you don't have to order right now, wait until the supply and demand changes.
Appreciate 2
js08231.00
TurtleBoy12885.00
      11-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #21
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
Actually, there is an "order bank" in the BMW system
ACTuaaalllllly that's irrelevant: when a dealer says "there's no production numbers because your order is in the 1-2-3-lockbox, so it's still waiting for production" that's like the waiter at the restaurant showing up to your table for the 1st time & telling you your meal is still waiting to be cooked because he hasn't taken your order yet; i.e., irrelevant BS.

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-08-2021 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
js08231.00
      11-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #22
RgDawgs
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Placed my X6 order last week and I’m #7 on the wait list for allocation. Dealer said order would go in then and provide order number. I’m not worried. Guy has been upfront so far.
Appreciate 0