BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2021, 05:30 AM   #23
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghines1279 View Post
My Sales guy said the software wasn’t available today. Curious if you had heard something different. Are you going to try and negotiate any further then the $500?
That was my experience, too. The dealership did not get the software yesterday (November 11). Someone on another forum told me--and take this with a huge grain of salt--that their dealer's service manager said BMW would deploy the software by 9:00 PM on November 11, so that it should be available today (November 12).

We shall see.

As far as negotiating for more than $500, I opened a ticket with BMW NA. It took a week, but someone got around to calling me. She basically said she would log the complaint, but that it's as far as it would go. She couldn't escalate the issue and it wouldn't change the amount. So that was a dead end.

In a perfect world, I'd sit on the phone with customer service all day and write letters, light my delivered car on fire in protest, and lead a horde of angry Bimmer fans and customers (how about those G20 folks; they are passionate!) in order to get the amount increased. In actuality, I have much too much work to be doing and I really do want the car. So I'm going to leave that one alone and focus on either trying to retrofit a screen from an earlier car or on enjoying it as is. It sucks, but that's life.

If I hadn't dithered about which trim of X5 to order for a month, mine would likely have been produced ahead of the delete.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:33 AM   #24
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you'll get used to it. iDrive touch screen only came out 5 years ago. we used the knob for 15 years prior to that!
I've been making that exact point. The other two Bimmers I've had in the past (an F10 and an E70) never had the touchscreen, and they worked just fine.

At the end of the day, I won't be super bummed if the touchscreen isn't retrofittable or is exorbitantly expensive to have retrofitted.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #25
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
That was my experience, too. The dealership did not get the software yesterday (November 11). Someone on another forum told me--and take this with a huge grain of salt--that their dealer's service manager said BMW would deploy the software by 9:00 PM on November 11, so that it should be available today (November 12).

We shall see.

As far as negotiating for more than $500, I opened a ticket with BMW NA. It took a week, but someone got around to calling me. She basically said she would log the complaint, but that it's as far as it would go. She couldn't escalate the issue and it wouldn't change the amount. So that was a dead end.

In a perfect world, I'd sit on the phone with customer service all day and write letters, light my delivered car on fire in protest, and lead a horde of angry Bimmer fans and customers (how about those G20 folks; they are passionate!) in order to get the amount increased. In actuality, I have much too much work to be doing and I really do want the car. So I'm going to leave that one alone and focus on either trying to retrofit a screen from an earlier car or on enjoying it as is. It sucks, but that's life.

If I hadn't dithered about which trim of X5 to order for a month, mine would likely have been produced ahead of the delete.
My last BMW a 530e, got hit and totaled by a distracted UBER driver, had touch screen and I never used it, or the back up assistant. I’ve been trained to use the knob after 20 years and 4 different models that had it.

All I really want is them to use the EV credit and apply it on cap reduction on a lease. So I can just turn it in after a couple years and not have to worry about this black sheep model.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #26
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My last BMW a 530e, got hit and totaled by a distracted UBER driver, had touch screen and I never used it, or the back up assistant. I’ve been trained to use the knob after 20 years and 4 different models that had it.

All I really want is them to use the EV credit and apply it on cap reduction on a lease. So I can just turn it in after a couple years and not have to worry about this black sheep model.
Yeah, it's annoying that BMW doesn't pass the EV credit onto lessees as a reduction against MSRP, or something. That and the military incentive are why I'm not leasing. I did the math and it's actually cheaper for me to buy it, even if I ditch it in three years.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #27
tonnyd76
Registered
Rep

My CA reached out this Morning about my 45e touchscreen delete,

"I see that there is now a remedy available for the stop sale. Service will be working to get your car through today" Hopefully I can pick up tomorrow then.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #28
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnyd76 View Post
My CA reached out this Morning about my 45e touchscreen delete,

"I see that there is now a remedy available for the stop sale. Service will be working to get your car through today" Hopefully I can pick up tomorrow then.
Beautiful! Hopefully, they'll get mine through today.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #29
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Got a text this morning as well. Looks like it's been released. Apparently I'm 3rd in line to get it completed and is expected to be done this afternoon.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #30
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckelvie37 View Post
Got a text this morning as well. Looks like it's been released. Apparently I'm 3rd in line to get it completed and is expected to be done this afternoon.
Right on! My CA texted me that he took my car to service, and is going to try and speed it through. My car also needs to be detailed. I'm not sure if they have to charge the battery or not as part of the PDI process. But it's cool.

My plan was to go in and sign papers this afternoon--once they can officially sell it to me--and then take delivery of it this evening with my partner (who has never bought a new luxury car before and who would enjoy taking part).
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #31
DeYanko
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Right on! My CA texted me that he took my car to service, and is going to try and speed it through. My car also needs to be detailed. I'm not sure if they have to charge the battery or not as part of the PDI process. But it's cool.

My plan was to go in and sign papers this afternoon--once they can officially sell it to me--and then take delivery of it this evening with my partner (who has never bought a new luxury car before and who would enjoy taking part).
My vehicle arrived at the dealership this morning. No phone call from my sa yet, to even inform me it is there. I am not calling her, to do her job. This whole experience has been exhausting! Looking forward to hearing, about a positive experience for you.

Last edited by DeYanko; 11-12-2021 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #32
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Keep us posted on your experience guys. Hopefully the retrofit works and we can just order and replace ourselves. Also, my wife uses the backup assist always backing up from our narrow garage. I don't understand why that feature couldn't be made available with the iDrive, unless it was also somehow related to the whole screen/chip setup. Thing is we don't even know if it's the screen itself that lacks the touch capability or a chip driving that capability.
I have a x6 going in prod 3rd week of Nov.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #33
Ghines1279
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
My sales guy also confirmed the update was available. He said it was first in line for it, it’s been there over a week. But the service manager said it would be more likely tomorrow. I imagine the fist go around might take a little while.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #34
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My sales guy also confirmed the update was available. He said it was first in line for it, it’s been there over a week. But the service manager said it would be more likely tomorrow. I imagine the fist go around might take a little while.
UPDATE: I'm tomorrow at this point, too.

When I called my CA a few hours ago, he told me that it's been a process. He dropped the car off at service first thing this morning.

Apparently, either because of BMW Corporate or because of whatever terminal system the dealer is using, the process is janky as f*ck and the IT person has to physically go update all of their diagnostic machines to get any software pulls.

And my dealer didn't get the software update at all from BMW Corporate because their registered name in the BMW system doesn't include "BMW" in it, so Corporate thought they were an independent shop and didn't send them the update.

Finally, my CA said the dealer's IT person is busting his ass to get the update set up and ready for tomorrow, because they have four X5s in total that are sitting there waiting for the update before they can be retailed, and all of them are customer orders. The CA said he didn't know, because tomorrow is Saturday, and that my delivery might get pushed to Monday, depending upon how busy the service department is.

I'm feeling kind of pissed and impatient--especially because I would think the dealer would want to prioritize us new customers and get us delivered and done--but I'm not going to go all Karen and burn up a bunch of political capital to buffalo my way to the front of the service dept. line. After all, I will have to interact with these people when I take the car in for routine service.

So, I guess I might have to wait until next week.

As for the retrofit touchscreen I ordered (which is shipping from China, yet), it may arrive to my house before the car itself does, honestly. I just checked the shipping, and it appears to have reached the Memphis hub, which is in the same general region of the US as my state and town. It might get here tomorrow.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #35
juancasala
Private
Rep
Drives: 45e +Wife’s i3

Thank you for sharing! I only heard “soon” and that my car was prioritized - now I know I could be looking at tomorrow Saturday myself, which would be awesome!

But I’m also waiting for the PenFed loan/check in the mail, so hopefully I don’t have to wait until Monday.

I received a call from BMW NA after my letter - but didn’t get to speak to them live yet - I think my main complain is the lack of communication.

Will share as soon as I get word I can take delivery…
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #36
DeYanko
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
UPDATE: I'm tomorrow at this point, too.

When I called my CA a few hours ago, he told me that it's been a process. He dropped the car off at service first thing this morning.

Apparently, either because of BMW Corporate or because of whatever terminal system the dealer is using, the process is janky as f*ck and the IT person has to physically go update all of their diagnostic machines to get any software pulls.

And my dealer didn't get the software update at all from BMW Corporate because their registered name in the BMW system doesn't include "BMW" in it, so Corporate thought they were an independent shop and didn't send them the update.

Finally, my CA said the dealer's IT person is busting his ass to get the update set up and ready for tomorrow, because they have four X5s in total that are sitting there waiting for the update before they can be retailed, and all of them are customer orders. The CA said he didn't know, because tomorrow is Saturday, and that my delivery might get pushed to Monday, depending upon how busy the service department is.

I'm feeling kind of pissed and impatient--especially because I would think the dealer would want to prioritize us new customers and get us delivered and done--but I'm not going to go all Karen and burn up a bunch of political capital to buffalo my way to the front of the service dept. line. After all, I will have to interact with these people when I take the car in for routine service.

So, I guess I might have to wait until next week.

As for the retrofit touchscreen I ordered (which is shipping from China, yet), it may arrive to my house before the car itself does, honestly. I just checked the shipping, and it appears to have reached the Memphis hub, which is in the same general region of the US as my state and town. It might get here tomorrow.
I finally heard from my sa, I was told that as soon as they fix, the stop sale I can come and see my vehicle…..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #37
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Picked up my touchscreen delete X7 today. The car originally arrived on Monday. The dealership didn't get their software downloaded until around noon. I was the 2nd car in line but mine got done around 3 PM local time. So far no issues with the car. Regarding the paperwork, there's a form that you have to fill out that basically acknowledges that you know there a is a touchscreen delete: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=7
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:20 AM   #38
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I got to say, I like the new cosmetic touches they out on the 45e for 2022.
      11-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #39
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Picked up my touchscreen delete X7 today. The car originally arrived on Monday. The dealership didn't get their software downloaded until around noon. I was the 2nd car in line but mine got done around 3 PM local time. So far no issues with the car. Regarding the paperwork, there's a form that you have to fill out that basically acknowledges that you know there a is a touchscreen delete: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...95&postcount=7
That’s funny that it doesn’t mention anything about waiving your right to sue. (Not that I would, but, still…)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #40
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I got to say, I like the new cosmetic touches they out on the 45e for 2022.
Like what from the previous 2021 45e?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #41
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS2019 View Post
Like what from the previous 2021 45e?
1. Electrified by I badges on the fender.
2. All roundels with "BMW i Blue" ring
      11-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
1. Electrified by I badges on the fender.
2. All roundels with "BMW i Blue" ring
when these badges and roundels were announced, someone pointed out that didn't make sense on the 45e. it says "electrified by i" but it's an "e" vehicle. i think it's safe to say these badges and particular roundels with their bright blue ring are leftover stock after the discontinuations of both the i8 in Apr 2020 but more so the i3 just recently in Jul 2021.

MY21 U.S. 45e didn't come with any badges on the side fenders like the EU models did, but i like them for their practicality: no finger smudges when opening the charging door, so i installed M badges on mine like the MY21 EU 45e have
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 10:50 PM   #43
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE:

My CA, without my prompting, texted me and said that service wouldn’t be able to get to my X5 until Monday, and that he wished he could do something about it. He suspected that they didn’t have a qualified tech on staff who could do it.

So it was looking like I would get my X5 45e on Monday, at the earliest.

But then, later this afternoon, I texted him and asked him what the cost of the floor mats were. He told me, but also told me that service did in fact have time to get to one touchscreen-delete X5 today, and they chose mine. And that I’d be able to pick it up today.

I was indeed able to do just that. And now Jake (that’s his name, I think) is charging comfortably in the garage.

I was, for the record, also asked to sign an acknowledgement that I knew the vehicle didn’t have a touchscreen. I think, for BMW’s part, this is less about avoiding lawsuits from customers—after all, what case would anyone have?—and more about preventing customers from saying “But the CA told me it had a touchscreen! I want my money back.”

What’s really funny, though, is the 2016 copyright date at the bottom of the acknowledgment form.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #44
RgDawgs
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
UPDATE:

My CA, without my prompting, texted me and said that service wouldn’t be able to get to my X5 until Monday, and that he wished he could do something about it. He suspected that they didn’t have a qualified tech on staff who could do it.

So it was looking like I would get my X5 45e on Monday, at the earliest.

But then, later this afternoon, I texted him and asked him what the cost of the floor mats were. He told me, but also told me that service did in fact have time to get to one touchscreen-delete X5 today, and they chose mine. And that I’d be able to pick it up today.

I was indeed able to do just that. And now Jake (that’s his name, I think) is charging comfortably in the garage.

I was, for the record, also asked to sign an acknowledgement that I knew the vehicle didn’t have a touchscreen. I think, for BMW’s part, this is less about avoiding lawsuits from customers—after all, what case would anyone have?—and more about preventing customers from saying “But the CA told me it had a touchscreen! I want my money back.”

What’s really funny, though, is the 2016 copyright date at the bottom of the acknowledgment form.
Excellent that you will be able to take delivery. A great looking car. Are the front windows tinted? Is this a dealer option? Just curious as I’ve ordered my first BMW and expect tinting will be first thing I need to do. It would be nice to have that done when I pick it up.
Appreciate 0