BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Chuck_skyline
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X545e

Question on financing/closing loan at delivery

Hi - I’m eligible for the military incentive via PenFed membership so I’m using non-BMWFS financing. I’ve been pre-approved by DCU and opened an account over there about 1 week ago. I expect my car should be ready for pickup by EOD Friday.

The DCU auto loan officer walked me through the options to fund the loan at the time of delivery:
  1. Finalize paperwork and they will send a check to the dealer via FedEx. They would also email a copy of the tracking + image the front/back of the check to the dealer.
  2. Send me the check ahead of time and I bring it with me to the car delivery

The CA is saying that option 1 would force them to hold the car until they receive the physical check. DCU says that they do this all the time and the dealership should have no issue releasing the car before the check is received. What is the normal process? Should I push back on the dealership or push the lender to wire funds or send me the check ahead of time?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I totally understand the dealer's position. I think most folks opt for #2 and take the check to closing.
      11-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Melbourne_X5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50ix M Sport

Take the check with you. Different dealers handle it differently and we get to play the game according to their rules. Thus, take the check with you and swap consideration for consideration to complete the transaction.
Appreciate 2
      11-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Protocol_10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_skyline View Post
Hi - I’m eligible for the military incentive via PenFed membership so I’m using non-BMWFS financing. I’ve been pre-approved by DCU and opened an account over there about 1 week ago. I expect my car should be ready for pickup by EOD Friday.

The DCU auto loan officer walked me through the options to fund the loan at the time of delivery:
  1. Finalize paperwork and they will send a check to the dealer via FedEx. They would also email a copy of the tracking + image the front/back of the check to the dealer.

The CA is saying that option 1 would force them to hold the car until they receive the physical check. DCU says that they do this all the time and the dealership should have no issue releasing the car before the check is received. What is the normal process? Should I push back on the dealership or push the lender to wire funds or send me the check ahead of time?
Thanks
Most dealers won't release a vehicle until they have money in hand.. and for good reason. This is because they have been burned from customers who actually didn't have a check, were unable to get an approval through their bank, changed their mind, or just lied in order to take the car on an extended drive.

Just bring the check with you to the dealership for mutual peace of mind
      11-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #5
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Yea what DCU guy says makes no sense. From the dealer's perspective, no check = no payment. Its as if you were selling a car to someone and they told you to give them the car and wait for their check in the mail.

PenFed CU, Navy Federal CU always send checks to me, which I then bring, fill out, sign and hand over to the dealer. The check is made out to me and has a place that requires me to fill out the dealership info and VIN number of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
richardcooper
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_skyline View Post

The DCU auto loan officer walked me through the options to fund the loan https://fitmymoney.com/bad-credit-score/ at the time of delivery:

Thanks
For good reason, the majority of dealers won't release a car unless they have cash on hand. This is due to the fact that they have been burnt by clients who, in reality, didn't have a check, couldn't acquire their bank's clearance, changed their minds, or just lied in order to utilize the automobile for a long trip.

Last edited by richardcooper; 09-23-2022 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
brad_saggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

I agree that option 1 isn't fair on the dealership, but curious how option 2 would work. Do banks issue checks to the buyer just like that? What stops them from misusing the money on the pretext of a low-rate "auto loan". Or, do they issue the check in the name of the dealership and also verify some purchase documents to begin with before issuing the check?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 07:20 PM   #8
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_saggy View Post
I agree that option 1 isn't fair on the dealership, but curious how option 2 would work. Do banks issue checks to the buyer just like that? What stops them from misusing the money on the pretext of a low-rate "auto loan". Or, do they issue the check in the name of the dealership and also verify some purchase documents to begin with before issuing the check?
In my case, I have a blank check from credit union. There is a set approval amount, it can only be cashed by an authorized dealer, and on the check, forgot if on the front or back, the VIN must be entered. So when my car arrives, I write in whatever amount I want financed plus the name of the dealership.
Appreciate 0