BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #23
Bucksn6
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x5m50i

I have a 2022 x5 m50i with a few options-

Exec pkg- love the glass controls, hud, and such.

Cold weather pkg- I live in Wisconsin. Enough said.

Extended shadowline trim

Dynamic handling- test drive one without it and ordered mine with it. Makes a huge difference in cornering. My car just digs in and begs to get throttle though the corner. Does not handle like an suv at all.

22" black wheels- the 742's just look great on the alpine white. They are "stiff" riding but I love it.

Carbon trim- looks sweet

Alcantara headliner- sweetness.

Hitch- I'll never tow anything, but hey I could. Lol

I don't think you can get HK sound in a non M50i now. Same with the exhaust, the seats are better, and the car handles incredibly well. If you can swing it, you wont regret going up to the m50. You wont regret the 40i either, it's just you wont know what you're missing out on.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #24
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksn6 View Post

Extended shadowline trim

Dynamic handling- test drive one without it and ordered mine with it. Makes a huge difference in cornering. My car just digs in and begs to get throttle though the corner. Does not handle like an suv at all.

22" black wheels- the 742's just look great on the alpine white. They are "stiff" riding but I love it.

Carbon trim- looks sweet

I don't think you can get HK sound in a non M50i now. Same with the exhaust, the seats are better, and the car handles incredibly well. If you can swing it, you wont regret going up to the m50. You wont regret the 40i either, it's just you wont know what you're missing out on.
how is it over rough pavement? sounds like DHP is more about corner stability through electronic wizardry vs overspringing like my X3MC..

Also -- you have the exact spec i want

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #25
Bucksn6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
Quote:

Extended shadowline trim

Carbon trim- looks sweet

how is it over rough pavement? sounds like DHP is more about corner stability through electronic wizardry vs overspringing like my X3MC..

Quote:
Quote:

Extended shadowline trim

Carbon trim- looks sweet

It's not terrible over bumps. I have a 20" winter square setup on now. More forgiving than the 22" summer but the 22" summer was firm but I wouldn't say jarring at all. It's great car. 10/10 would recommend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kolosy1477.50
      11-25-2021, 03:46 AM   #26
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearco View Post

I went in thinking I was going to buy the X5MC, but holy cow that ride is rough, even in "street" mode. A lot of roads I drive on in CA are garbage.
I guess we all have different asses but I find this notion bizarre ... even my wife was like "wow, I didn't think it'd be this smooth" (I have the 21/22s)

I'm only pointing this out for anyone used to sport suspensions (at least BMW) - for y'all I guaranfuckingtee you the X5M will feel smooth as silk - but I get that we're all different.

So, yeah, for anyone looking for the rolling couch feel of, say, a Telluride, but you want a BMW, definitely get air suspension ... or if you want German sport, then get a Porsche as they're the best at suspension sport but comfy ... but then I think the X5M great soooo ...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I guess we all have different asses but I find this notion bizarre ... even my wife was like "wow, I didn't think it'd be this smooth" (I have the 21/22s)

I'm only pointing this out for anyone used to sport suspensions (at least BMW) - for y'all I guaranfuckingtee you the X5M will feel smooth as silk - but I get that we're all different.

So, yeah, for anyone looking for the rolling couch feel of, say, a Telluride, but you want a BMW, definitely get air suspension ... or if you want German sport, then get a Porsche as they're the best at suspension sport but comfy ... but then I think the X5M great soooo ...
don't discount road quality. i'm coming from an X3MC, and got into that from an F80 (and several other Ms along the way). Never had suspension issues with the other Ms, but the X3 (i know, 3, not 5) is downright jarring on Chicago roads. Haven't driven an X5M as driving anything is downright impossible right now, but wouldn't surprise me if it felt just as bad.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #28
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
don't discount road quality. i'm coming from an X3MC, and got into that from an F80 (and several other Ms along the way). Never had suspension issues with the other Ms, but the X3 (i know, 3, not 5) is downright jarring on Chicago roads. Haven't driven an X5M as driving anything is downright impossible right now, but wouldn't surprise me if it felt just as bad.
Yup, the X3M is stupid - it's basically the F8x on sport plus & no comparison to the X5M. Honestly I never considered an SUV until the X3M came out, but then I drove it and while I like a sport suspension as much as the next guy, it was just stupid ... so then I started looking at the Macan Turbos which are (were) smooth as silk - Porsche does suspensions the best - but then started widening my search and ultimately the tight market made my choice for me ...

I wrote a post on the technical differences between the M50i & the X5M because at first the X5M didn't make sense to me, but then I drove it and was sold. Anyone used to a F8x or E9x won't have any problem with a X5M, and if they're like me, won't be able to deal with the M50i once you know how the X5M feels.

The X5M is like a way smoother version of the F8x on comfort: it provides roadfeel but with great damping. For example if you run over a crack in the road you feel the texture, but if you run over a pothole you feel it just slightly more - it's nothing that bumps you up out of your seat. I was driving a toyota highlander before the X5M, and the X5M is way smoother, but also lets you feel the road texture ... and then there's just the stupid handling at the limit; you will get way more unsettled before the X5M does
Appreciate 1
kolosy1477.50
      11-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #29
Bearco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:

I wrote a post on the technical differences between the M50i & the X5M because at first the X5M didn't make sense to me, but then I drove it and was sold. Anyone used to a F8x or E9x won't have any problem with a X5M, and if they're like me, won't be able to deal with the M50i once you know how the X5M feels.
Didn’t you get an M50i?

I’m too big a dude to take a long trip in the X5M seats anyways, I guess I man spread too much.

If I had money to blow, I would get an X5M, it just couldn’t be my primary/daily car. But that’s just me!

Hopefully in less than 2 weeks I’ll have my M50i.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      11-26-2021, 04:25 AM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearco View Post
Didn’t you get an M50i?

I’m too big a dude to take a long trip in the X5M seats anyways, I guess I man spread too much.
well, THAT is drawback of the X5M: not for big man-spreading dudes as it has the same M seats as the M4, so lots of bolsters. I did go with X5M for various reasons, but one of the largest was simply that it was available & still had most of the options I wanted, though I never would've guessed the B&W & touchscreens deletes were right around the corner!

I'm 6'2, but the way I have the seats set it's hard not to roll over that bolster coming out of the car ... I put on Colourlock's Leather Shield right away
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #31
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup, the X3M is stupid - it's basically the F8x on sport plus & no comparison to the X5M. Honestly I never considered an SUV until the X3M came out, but then I drove it and while I like a sport suspension as much as the next guy, it was just stupid ... so then I started looking at the Macan Turbos which are (were) smooth as silk - Porsche does suspensions the best - but then started widening my search and ultimately the tight market made my choice for me ...

The X5M is like a way smoother version of the F8x on comfort: it provides roadfeel but with great damping. For example if you run over a crack in the road you feel the texture, but if you run over a pothole you feel it just slightly more - it's nothing that bumps you up out of your seat. I was driving a toyota highlander before the X5M, and the X5M is way smoother, but also lets you feel the road texture ... and then there's just the stupid handling at the limit; you will get way more unsettled before the X5M does
Thanks for that post, interesting. This is my concern:

Quote:
• X5M adds extra bracing; not insignificant: upper & lower front end bracing, rear 7 arm triangle underbody bracing
- IMO this is the key "feel" difference, for turn in, body roll, et al
- However, significantly compromises comfort for some, especially for slow-speed potholes, speed bumps, etc
... And ultimately I can't seem to find either of them to test drive (plus I think my local dealer is getting tired of my tire kicking)

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #32
Gamerguy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:

I wrote a [COLOR="Blue"]post [/COLOR]on the technical differences between the M50i & the X5M because at first the X5M didn't make sense to me, but then I drove it and was sold. Anyone used to a F8x or E9x won't have any problem with a X5M, and if they're like me, won't be able to deal with the M50i once you know how the X5M feels.

Thanks for that post, interesting. This is my concern:

Quote:
• X5M adds extra bracing; not insignificant: upper & lower front end bracing, rear 7 arm triangle underbody bracing
- IMO this is the key "feel" difference, for turn in, body roll, et al
- However, significantly compromises comfort for some, especially for slow-speed potholes, speed bumps, etc
... And ultimately I can't seem to find either of them to test drive (plus I think my local dealer is getting tired of my tire kicking)
I just went from a 22 X3MC to a 22 X5MC; reading all this about how bad the X5MC rides is kind of overblown imo. The X5MC blows the X3MC out of the water in terms ride comfort. Compare it to a M50i, well yea, it's not going to touch that in terms of comfort.

BLUF: If you liked the performance of your X3MC ( the way it cornered, acceleration, etc.) and can swing it or want to swing it, get the X5M/C. When you drive the X5MC you'll just smile and say; this is the way. And the ride, directly compared to the X3MC is way better.

Hope you can find something to test drive! Good luck in your decision.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      11-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #33
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:

Thank you. This is what I’ve been looking for. I’m considering an X6 M next year but the so called stiff ride was scaring me.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      11-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #34
dynamic
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
well, THAT is drawback of the X5M: not for big man-spreading dudes as it has the same M seats as the M4, so lots of bolsters. I did go with X5M for various reasons, but one of the largest was simply that it was available & still had most of the options I wanted, though I never would've guessed the B&W & touchscreens deletes were right around the corner!

I'm 6'2, but the way I have the seats set it's hard not to roll over that bolster coming out of the car ... I put on Colourlock's Leather Shield right away
Looking at the BMW site "build your own" I see that there are at least 2 levels of leather seating and the higher with the Alcantara requires the $9300 Competition Package which is what the X5M comp. had that I drove a while back. Is the standard(non comp) seat any less confining in the base lateral bolster area than the upgraded or is there anything that could be done to mitigate the thigh pressure they create?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #35
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post
Is the standard(non comp) seat any less confining in the base lateral bolster area than the upgraded or is there anything that could be done to mitigate the thigh pressure they create?
M seats are the same in comp and non comp. Comp comes with full leather (things like leather covered upper and lower dash, fully covered door cards, etc.) whereas this is an option on non comp. Comp also gives you the option of choosing the leather and alcantara trimming you saw.

Seats, of course, are fully adjustable - side bolsters and lower seat extension. If you didn't already, you should try the seats out again and play around with seat adjustments. On our 19' 40i with lux seating I initially struggled finding a comfortable position but after a few trips it was perfect. Same for the M: initially didn't find the seats comfortable but by the end of the first highway trip I dialed it in to fit my body. A note, I think the fact the M seats are not as plush as lux seating in non-M models exaggerates discomfort until you find the right position. At least that was my experience.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18159.50
      11-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #36
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I went from a 2018 X4M40i (OG M2 engine) to a 2022 X6 40i.

The ride is much more plush but it is a significantly bigger vehicle.

I went w/the B58 b/c I didn't want a BMW V8, BTDT and I have an M2C for summer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #37
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
M seats are the same in comp and non comp. Comp comes with full leather (things like leather covered upper and lower dash, fully covered door cards, etc.) whereas this is an option on non comp. Comp also gives you the option of choosing the leather and alcantara trimming you saw.

Seats, of course, are fully adjustable - side bolsters and lower seat extension. If you didn't already, you should try the seats out again and play around with seat adjustments. On our 19' 40i with lux seating I initially struggled finding a comfortable position but after a few trips it was perfect. Same for the M: initially didn't find the seats comfortable but by the end of the first highway trip I dialed it in to fit my body. A note, I think the fact the M seats are not as plush as lux seating in non-M models exaggerates discomfort until you find the right position. At least that was my experience.
Wow, and thanks for the info. I had no idea that the seat base side bolsters were adjustable like the extension is.
I'm going to revisit the possibility of an X5 or X6 "M". Our roads here are almost as smooth as glass so the suspension difference is not really a fator. A friend of mine recently moved from an X6 M50i to an X6M(non-comp) and is thrilled. The seat bolster adjustment that I was unaware of could be a deal maker.
Thanks again for the info. Love this forum!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #38
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
I had no idea that the seat base side bolsters were adjustable like the extension is.
Oh sorry, I wasn't clear. The bolster adjustment I was referring to is for the seat back (what the manual calls "seat back width"). But still give it another try. If you can find a comfortable position you'll love the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #39
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
I went from a 2018 X4M40i (OG M2 engine) to a 2022 X6 40i.

The ride is much more plush but it is a significantly bigger vehicle.

I went w/the B58 b/c I didn't want a BMW V8, BTDT and I have an M2C for summer.
I have yet to read of any issues with the current BMW 4.4L TT V8, and can't think of any guy who would not want the power and torque of this engine, it is magnificent.
The $20,000 price delta is the issue and not any known problems with this engine in its current, updated form.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #40
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
I have yet to read of any issues with the current BMW 4.4L TT V8, and can't think of any guy who would not want the power and torque of this engine, it is magnificent.
The $20,000 price delta is the issue and not any known problems with this engine in its current, updated form.
Keep beating the $20K drum...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=74
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:56 PM   #41
dynamic
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you have it all figured out my man. Us V8 adopters are a bunch of dummies.
You spent $20,000 less than we did and you got a better vehicle. Good for you!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #42
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I went w/the B58 b/c I didn't want a BMW V8, BTDT
Quote:
I have yet to read of any issues with the current BMW 4.4L TT V8
omasou what's your issue with the V8? I'd agree that a hot-v engine is always gonna be tough to work on and the early versions didn't bode well with their plastic chain guides that had a habit of fragging ... but it does seem like they've fixed that ...

I can say overall the best V8 I've had period (BMW or otherwise) was the E9x's S65 ... that whole car, probably due to being derivative of Albert Biermann's Porsche killer track car, was/is an inspiration with a real soul; it's not a cliche in the case of the e9x - even my wife said the car felt like it was alive and it hated going <50mph ... only vehicle I regret selling ...

ANYway, I can't speak with full knowledge on the X5 M's S63 (S63B44T4) as I'm not past my 1200 miles break-in service yet, so I'll withhold judgement until then ... probably the biggest disappointment is the lack of a M-DCT in exchange for the ZF eight-speed. It's ok, but not ever close to M-DCT's heyday which was 2014/15; the tuning on the M-DCT's was just fucking BRUtal, as in full throttle upshifts at 80mph felt like getting donkey kicked in the ass and torque dump was intoxicating ... then they completely wussified the tuning in the 2016/17 timeframe

For those reasons I probably would've leaned towards a Cayenne GTS (suspension tuning and PDK) this time had it not been for the supply chain problems, but I'm still very happy with the X5 M ... so far.

I'll need to light it up post 1200 mile service in the mountains to decide how well the drivetrain works for me.

BMW seems to be really falling behind when it comes to suspensions & transmissions ...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #43
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Quote:

Extended shadowline trim

Carbon trim- looks sweet

You lose a bit of ground clearance between the xdrive 40i and the M50i, correct?

I think it's 8.7" vs 8.3" between the 2?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #44
Bucksn6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
Quote:

Extended shadowline trim

Carbon trim- looks sweet

You lose a bit of ground clearance between the xdrive 40i and the M50i, correct?

I think it's 8.7" vs 8.3" between the 2?
Not sure tbh. The 40i was never on the table for me. I didn't look into the clearance difference. I wouldn't doubt it though. The m50i definitely is lower than my old grand Cherokee. Lol
Appreciate 0