05-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #67
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcus2man View Post
Comparison photos below. Tips are angled on driver side at 3 and passenger side at 9. The inside tips really bother me and I think I am returning. Not sure I feel comfortable trying to cut off 1/4 inch for the inside tips—knowing me I'd just destroy both of them.

Unfortunately I think cutting the inside tip to shorten it/achieve better alignment is required for these exhaust tips posted by the OP. It looks just awkward enough in my opinion with the inside tip angling upwards and getting blocked by the exhaust openings along with seeing that exhaust within an exhaust look.

My last resort is trying to find a local exhaust shop to get their opinion on options.
I agree with the assessment of how yours look, but looking at your last photo it doesn't look like the inside tip is installed straight. Your photo is almost straight on the exhaust but if you look at the installed inside tip at the OEM exhaust edge its not centered within the tip; it looks like the inside tip is pointing up instead of being parallel to the ground.
      05-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #68
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Quote:
Comparison photos below. Tips are angled on driver side at 3 and passenger side at 9. The inside tips really bother me and I think I am returning. Not sure I feel comfortable trying to cut off 1/4 inch for the inside tips—knowing me I'd just destroy both of them.

Unfortunately I think cutting the inside tip to shorten it/achieve better alignment is required for these exhaust tips posted by the OP. It looks just awkward enough in my opinion with the inside tip angling upwards and getting blocked by the exhaust openings along with seeing that exhaust within an exhaust look.

My last resort is trying to find a local exhaust shop to get their opinion on options.
I agree with the assessment of how yours look, but looking at your last photo it doesn't look like the inside tip is installed straight. Your photo is almost straight on the exhaust but if you look at the installed inside tip at the OEM exhaust edge its not centered within the tip; it looks like the inside tip is pointing up instead of being parallel to the ground.
When the inside tip is installed dead start at 12 o'clock (drain hole at 6 o'clock), it is even more pronounced and points upwards due to the shorter inside exhaust pipe. It looks very awkward. Previous posters are putting the point of the tip at 3 o'clock (on driver side) to help with a better angle—meaning the drain hole is at 9 o'clock.

I might give it one more go and try the
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #69
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Final results and I am DONE tweaking with these damn things. Driver side at 3 and passenger side at 9 o'clock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Eyezlee36.00
CT335xi684.00
      05-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #70
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Final results and I am DONE tweaking with these damn things. Driver side at 3 and passenger side at 9 o'clock.
This looks GREAT!
Did you end up cutting them at all or just repositioned them?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:14 PM   #71
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Quote:
This looks GREAT!
Did you end up cutting them at all or just repositioned them?
I agree, it looks good enough to keep them on and an upgrade over stock, so I think I am happy with it. I did not cut them, and now I don't think they need to be cut when you angle them like this.

Driver side pronounced tip at 3 o'clock with the drain hole at 9 o'clock. Passenger side tip at 9 o'clock with the drain hole at 3 o'clock. It seems awkward at first tilting them this far towards the center, but it is sort of how the stock exhaust is angled and allows for the inside tip to fit more snug to the stock exhaust tip.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 10:30 PM   #72
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree, it looks good enough to keep them on and an upgrade over stock, so I think I am happy with it. I did not cut them, and now I don't think they need to be cut when you angle them like this.

Driver side pronounced tip at 3 o'clock with the drain hole at 9 o'clock. Passenger side tip at 9 o'clock with the drain hole at 3 o'clock. It seems awkward at first tilting them this far towards the center, but it is sort of how the stock exhaust is angled and allows for the inside tip to fit more snug to the stock exhaust tip.
Thanks for the clarity! will be adjusting mine soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #73
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:

Looks good alexcus2man
      05-22-2022, 04:34 PM   #74
sssmokie
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 M50i with DHP

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 M50i  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5 3.0D  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5 M50D  [8.66]
Anyone tried removing them after a while? I thought it would be really easy, but I only managed to get 1 out! Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:52 PM   #75
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssmokie View Post
Anyone tried removing them after a while? I thought it would be really easy, but I only managed to get 1 out! Any tips?
I used a set of joint pliers, surprisingly minimal to no visible damage at all and they came right off (with a little force)
Appreciate 1
sssmokie125.00
      06-05-2022, 09:52 AM   #76
alexcus2man
Private
United_States
Rep

After about 3 weeks, I have decided to pull these tips off and just keep the standard, "hidden" quad exhaust tips for now.

I kept looking at them every time I approached the car, and they never looked quite right to me.

I might try contacting a local BMW Indy shop or a specialized exhaust shop for some options about how to enhance the exhaust look on the M50i. I think the best option might be to remove the exhaust trim to install bigger exhaust tips (that DON'T stick out of the bumper unlike some). The dahler aftermarket exhaust system did this, but I am definitely not dropping $5K on an entirely new exhaust.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #77
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After about 3 weeks, I have decided to pull these tips off and just keep the standard, "hidden" quad exhaust tips for now.

I kept looking at them every time I approached the car, and they never looked quite right to me.

I might try contacting a local BMW Indy shop or a specialized exhaust shop for some options about how to enhance the exhaust look on the M50i. I think the best option might be to remove the exhaust trim to install bigger exhaust tips (that DON'T stick out of the bumper unlike some). The dahler aftermarket exhaust system did this, but I am definitely not dropping $5K on an entirely new exhaust.
saw that before too... it looks SOOOO aggressive.. I love those tips, but not having a surround would bother me a tad bit too since the sharpish edges of the bumper cutout would bug me a bit
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:39 AM   #78
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Quote:

BONECA did this on his build page thread. I
Know exactly what you mean by always looking at the tips on approach. I’ve gone back and forth and always find myself tweaking. Just when I think I’ve got it, something looks off. If anyone is interested in Dahler you can now order directly through their only US retailer, kies motorsports .
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #79
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM50I View Post
BONECA did this on his build page thread. I
Know exactly what you mean by always looking at the tips on approach. I’ve gone back and forth and always find myself tweaking. Just when I think I’ve got it, something looks off. If anyone is interested in Dahler you can now order directly through their only US retailer, kies motorsports .
Just saw his latest posts about it. Paying over a $1000 for tips on eBay is a bit much lol but they do look amazing.

With that being said, not sure if that kit would work for the V8 X5's since we already have a quad set up. Because their kits look like they convert a Single outlet to a dual outlet plus include the tips.

For those with V8's and quad exhausts already, we would just need the tips. Problem with that is, that I dont think we can manager to get 100mm on each tip due to the stock pipes on each side sitting as close as they are to one another. If I remember correctly, the OD cannot exceed 79mm otherwise the tips will rub against each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #80
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

I just purchased some rims otherwise I would have bought dahler exhaust. Next mod for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #81
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

The exhaust tips of the actual exhaust seem to look smaller than the photo they use on the X5 for the exhaust listing.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=44

Those tips definitely look smaller.

BONECA's tips look on point though!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 08:15 PM   #82
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't look it at all…..looks weird and the tips are too small. Why cheap out a vehicle like this doing that?
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:49 PM   #83
Chk_ris
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Quote:

saw that before too... it looks SOOOO aggressive.. I love those tips, but not having a surround would bother me a tad bit too since the sharpish edges of the bumper cutout would bug me a bit
I was worried about the sharp edges as well but the extended tips cover the bottom edge. There is a flat lip on the bumper trim once you remove the factory exhaust surrounding. It doesn't look bad to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #84
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

06-11-2022, 08:50 PM   #85
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.c.liu View Post
I was worried about the sharp edges as well but the extended tips cover the bottom edge. There is a flat lip on the bumper trim once you remove the factory exhaust surrounding. It doesn't look bad to me.
yeah this definitely looks BAD ASS!
I'd love to get the exhaust but cant justify this to the wife haha

wish there was a way to do this with tips alone to get this look, but the stock pipes on each side sit too close to one another therefore 100mm tips would NOT fit without them rubbing, but probably wont even fit at all. If I could spread the two pipes, then I'd look into getting tips from 60mm to 100mm to get this look because it looks amazing!
Appreciate 1
Chk_ris31.50
      06-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #86
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
I personally do not like the CF exhaust shrouds. i think it may look a bit tacky honestly. may just be me though...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #87
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Nothing yet out there for bigger tips only?
Yeah, too small tips for this big boy. I rather have them hidden until they get big. lol
      01-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #88
lexttu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2023 330i, 1999 C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chk_ris View Post
Which tips are these? This exhaust search is much more difficult than I expected!
Appreciate 0