BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #133
adscft
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

The kit from bavsound seems to only include midranges and tweeters. Which subs were you referring too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Put the Bavsound speakers and subs in first. You may decide that's all you need.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #134
Mstephen
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x40i

Audiotec Director Remote Control

I am in the process of buying an Audtotec Matchup 7 dsp for a 2022 X5. Audiotec sells an outboard remote control that has several options,
Source selection
Volume control of all sources
Volume control of the subwoofer
Control and configuration of the HEC BT module
Switching between sound setups.

Has anyone had hands on use? I would like to hear thoughts, etc. from those that have info on this piece.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #135
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstephen View Post
I am in the process of buying an Audtotec Matchup 7 dsp for a 2022 X5. Audiotec sells an outboard remote control that has several options,
Source selection
Volume control of all sources
Volume control of the subwoofer
Control and configuration of the HEC BT module
Switching between sound setups.

Has anyone had hands on use? I would like to hear thoughts, etc. from those that have info on this piece.

Mark
I don't have one but was wondering about it as well. Having to connect to the amp via a laptop/computer is a hassle but I'm not sure any of the above items are things I'd need/want to do often enough to warrant having a BT module. The main thing I'd like to do is to modify the crossovers and/or enable/disable the special effects. Doesn't look like this is an option. Switching between sounds setups is desirable but you can do it by simply pressing a button on the front of the amp so not much of a bonus there either. If I could bypass a physical connection and perform all configurations via BT, that would be something worth paying up for. Perhaps I'm missing something in how this works?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:17 AM   #136
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

I've replaced my HiFi speakers/underseat woofers with Focal PnP and Focal iSub2. They made a difference, but sounded like it was still missing the low-end fill. I added a LC2i + JL PowerWedge+ Subwoofer with the Technic Add-a-Sub harness and it sounds a whole lot better. Now I'm deciding on whether I should power the Focals. Is there a harness that lets you use one of the 7Ch amps and a powered subwoofer? Or would I add the Technic 7Ch harness and use both Technic harnesses?

I'm satisfied with the bass and volume and don't need to solve that anymore. What I'm missing is that surround sound feeling. Do you think powering the Focals would accomplish this or do you think it will be overkill and just add volume? Which amp would be best to meet this goal?

Last edited by Sample; 01-06-2022 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
Tch-Nrd124.50
      01-06-2022, 04:05 AM   #137
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
I've replaced my HiFi speakers/underseat woofers with Focal PnP and Focal iSub2. They made a difference, but sounded like it was still missing the low-end fill. I added a LC2i + JL PowerWedge+ Subwoofer with the Technic Add-a-Sub harness and it sounds a whole lot better. Now I'm deciding on whether I should power the Focals. Is there a harness that lets you use one of the 7Ch amps and a powered subwoofer? Or would I add the Technic 7Ch harness and use both Technic harnesses?

I'm satisfied with the bass and volume and don't need to solve that anymore. What I'm missing is that surround sound feeling. Do you think powering the Focals would accomplish this or do you think it will be overkill and just add volume? Which amp would be best to meet this goal?
I'm not sure if you will get the 'surround' sound without adding more speakers inside the car - something that isn't really practical. Perhaps a DSP can add surround effects with software? But amplifying the Focals would never be a bad thing - even if they don't give 'surround' sound because there isn't enough of them, they will of course sound better regardless.

Originally, looking at the Technic harness, I thought the technic 7ch harness should be all you need, as that will give you the 5 speaker outputs plus the 2 sub outputs. You would run the 2 sub outputs to your existing subwoofer LOC and onto your JL Audio sub/amp (which looks really good BTW), and run the 5 speaker outputs to your speaker amp. However, I am now confused as the Technic 7ch harness specifically states: "Aftermarket amp/DSP must have a minimum of 6ch high-level input (up to 20V) capability with turn-on signal sense." Does this mean that the aftermarket amp needs to actually power at least 6 channels, or does just need to be a min. 6 channel amp but can be used to only power 5 channels?

I have HK, but I think I want to add a sub/amp like your JL audio one. I'm looking at the Technic harness for HK for adding a sub. I see they do one with an LOC as well.

Why do these LOC's require +12v/GND? In the past the LOC's I've used didn't require that.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #138
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As stated, surround sound will require more speakers as well as a DSP, not practical given the base hifi system, nor would I worry about it given your impressive investment in speakers as you're on the edge of a killer sound system. Your system begs for more power. Going with the Technic harness opens the door to a number of high quality amps that can provide a range of power across multiple/dedicated amps for the front speakers, under-seat subs, and rears vs a single 6 channel amp. This approach is probably what a good professional installer would do at this point... ditch the Focal-Inside front speakers for a pair of K2s... full on custom system. On the other hand, going with Match or BimmerTech amp/dsp would be an easy PnP path with just enough power for the Focal PnP speakers that you can install in under an hour.

That said, where did you install the JL sub? Can you provide a picture of it in your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #139
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to do more research on amps and harnesses I'll need.

Between Match and Bimmertech, which do you think is the better? I'll look into other amps, but adding two more amps may require more space than I want to give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Originally, looking at the Technic harness, I thought the technic 7ch harness should be all you need, as that will give you the 5 speaker outputs plus the 2 sub outputs. You would run the 2 sub outputs to your existing subwoofer LOC and onto your JL Audio sub/amp (which looks really good BTW), and run the 5 speaker outputs to your speaker amp. However, I am now confused as the Technic 7ch harness specifically states: "Aftermarket amp/DSP must have a minimum of 6ch high-level input (up to 20V) capability with turn-on signal sense." Does this mean that the aftermarket amp needs to actually power at least 6 channels, or does just need to be a min. 6 channel amp but can be used to only power 5 channels?

I have HK, but I think I want to add a sub/amp like your JL audio one. I'm looking at the Technic harness for HK for adding a sub. I see they do one with an LOC as well.

Why do these LOC's require +12v/GND? In the past the LOC's I've used didn't require that.
The Technic harness has wires that you can use for the 12v/ground for the LOC. I decided to go with a LC2i instead of the ones he offered because the LC2i looked more feature rich. There is this video on youtube that briefly mentions active vs passive LOCs.

Last edited by Sample; 01-18-2022 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1119.50
      01-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #140
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Thanks, I'll check out that video.

I'm not familiar with the Match or Bimmertech amps so I can't help there. I've not been involved in car audio for so long that everything is different now!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:19 PM   #141
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The BimmerTech amp is made by Audiotech, they make Match and a number of other amps. I researched them before choosing the Match amp… seemed slightly better specs and was available directly from Audiotech. It has a nice DSP and a line out for your powered sub so nothing more needed to completely support your system. You might be able to store the sub in the wheel well by removing the spare if you have one. Also might hold amps as well. I haven’t changed a tire for about 30 yrs… and in the case you are way off the grid, throw the spare tire in the cargo area.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 01-07-2022 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #142
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
The BimmerTech amp is made by Audiotech, they make Match and a number of other amps. I researched them before choosing the Match amp… seemed slightly better specs and was available directly from Audiotech. It has a nice DSP and a line out for your powered sub so nothing more needed to completely support your system. You might be able to store the sub in the wheel well by removing the spare if you have one. Also might hold amps as well. I haven’t changed a tire for about 30 yrs… and in the case you are way off the grid, throw the spare tire in the cargo area.
Can you provide links to where you bought the Match amp? I can't find a link to actually order the Match Amp/harness on their site. Also on their site there are two version for the Match up 7DSP - Standard and "inc MEC ANALOG IN". I'm guessing I need the "MEC Analog In" version. How much did you pay for the amp?

Crutchfield appears to have the harness in stock MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM

Last edited by Sample; 01-07-2022 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #143
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I said direct from Audiotec I meant it was directly marketed by them rather than a branded unit from BimmerTech. I bought mine from Crutchfield, you need to get the one that includes MEC built into it plus the wire harness. You'll need about 3 feet of power and ground cables with a fuse and connectors. Btw, I've been through two broken wire harnesses (so far), first one was delivered with a broken connector and just recently a wire fell out of the Molex connector. Crutchfield promptly replaced both of them with zero issues, so it's worth getting the unit from them to protect against these types of problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #144
Flyhogz
Rep
Drives: Xdrive45e

Vertigo,

Did you end up upgrading your speakers? Or did you stick with the OEM speakers?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #145
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhogz View Post
Vertigo,

Yeah if you look through the thread (and a couple others on the topic) you'll see my journey. Short answer... I upgraded two times; Focal-Inside and then onto K2 (which were painful to install).

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 01-08-2022 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #146
Flyhogz
Rep
Drives: Xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhogz View Post
Vertigo,

Yeah if you look through the thread (and a couple others on the topic) you'll see my journey. Short answer... I upgraded two times; Focal-Inside and then onto K100s (which were painful to install).
Thanks. I missed it. I've been jumping between 20 or so threads between this forum and DIYMobile trying to get a plan together for my 45e. Lol. I'm getting the Match 7DSP and a JL 750/1 mono and IDMax sub installed today.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:47 PM   #147
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Looks like Crutchfield stopped carrying the Match 7 DSP MEC. and the Match PP 86DSP.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #148
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 FY15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fndrplayer13 View Post
Thanks for the follow up, very helpful!

Btw this matchup comes after the factory amp as a DSP amp, right? Or does it replace that unit?
Hi. It replaces it
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #149
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitenD View Post
Hi. It replaces it
Assuming I understand the question, not on the 676 HiFI offered in the US... I have one... it connects to the RAM which is a high level (speaker level) output.

On a related note... I've wondered about how much, if any, information is lost by not using a low level input (like virtually every other HiFi I've had) but most of the literature I've read pertaining to car audio indicates there's not much of a difference. That said, my Audiotec wire harness broke about a month ago (wire came out of the Molex connector) and while Crutchfield was delivering a new one, I ran the system just using the OEM app against my K2 speakers. The power wasn't there but it sure sounded a bit fuller without the amp. I've yet to tune (other than crossover settings) my DSP so perhaps it's not a fair comparison. Once I find time I'll figure out the tuning app.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 03:55 AM   #150
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Used the Bimmertech amp and speakers upgrade

I also did the whole Bimmertech upgrade with both the amp and all speakers.

I can't believe how amazing it now sounds. Everyone that now hears it is blown away.

I also can't say enough about the speakers. Excellent quality and new magnets. Comparison between the speakers I took out and the new ones makes the original ones look like crap.

Also their service is amazing and they are super helpful.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #151
AAA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTimpa View Post
I also did the whole Bimmertech upgrade with both the amp and all speakers.

I can't believe how amazing it now sounds. Everyone that now hears it is blown away.

I also can't say enough about the speakers. Excellent quality and new magnets. Comparison between the speakers I took out and the new ones makes the original ones look like crap.

Also their service is amazing and they are super helpful.
Thanks for posting about your experience with Bimmertech. Any chance you replaced the amp first and tried it out with the factory speakers? I'm likely going to start with the amp in hopes of being adequately satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #152
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
Thanks for posting about your experience with Bimmertech. Any chance you replaced the amp first and tried it out with the factory speakers? I'm likely going to start with the amp in hopes of being adequately satisfied.
I added the Bimmertech AMP first leaving the OEM speakers and the difference is night and day. The sound quality far exceeds that of the stock Harmon Kardon system. If you have access to a PC have Bimmertech share a few sound files with you in order for you to choose what sounds profile you prefer.

I ultimately ended up replacing the front and rear door speakers with Audison Prima plug & play ($450 USD total from a European seller) only because I ordered at the same time as the amp and it was cost prohibitive to ship back. They sound amazing but the improvement is minor compared to what was obtained from the AMP. I would have left the OEM speakers if I were to do it again.
Appreciate 3
AAA59.00
      01-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #153
AAA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropax5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA View Post
I added the Bimmertech AMP first leaving the OEM speakers and the difference is night and day. The sound quality far exceeds that of the stock Harmon Kardon system. If you have access to a PC have Bimmertech share a few sound files with you in order for you to choose what sounds profile you prefer.

I ultimately ended up replacing the front and rear door speakers with Audison Prima plug & play ($450 USD total from a European seller) only because I ordered at the same time as the amp and it was cost prohibitive to ship back. They sound amazing but the improvement is minor compared to what was obtained from the AMP. I would have left the OEM speakers if I were to do it again.
Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #154
Silver64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropax5 View Post

I’m leaning toward the Bimmertech amp now since the Match can be sourced through Crutchfield any longer. Did you go with the ASD option… don’t really know if that’s a big deal one way or another.
Appreciate 0