BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
ted920
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Washing Car in Winter

I'm in New England and my water is shut off for Winter.
Where do you all wash your cars?
I'm leery of auto wash places, even touchless, as I've heard their wash is not high quality and bad for ceramic coated vehicles. My X5 also has full PPF so I have that concern as well. My ride is getting a bit dirty and needs a wash soon.l
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Paladin1
Lieutenant Colonel
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
970
Rep
1,534
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
I use a touchless wash and just apply Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax over the Ceramic Pro. Ceramic Pro has their own after-application detail spray, which I have and still use, but at $60 a bottle it's no better than Turtle Wax IMO, at $15. Just don't use the wax selection in the touchless wash; in fact, Ceramic Pro recommends against this. And if you have a matte PPF, don't use detail spray.

Last edited by Paladin1; 12-12-2019 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #3
coolerbythelake
Private
coolerbythelake's Avatar
64
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 M340i
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted920 View Post
I'm in New England and my water is shut off for Winter.
Where do you all wash your cars?
I'm leery of auto wash places, even touchless, as I've heard their wash is not high quality and bad for ceramic coated vehicles. My X5 also has full PPF so I have that concern as well. My ride is getting a bit dirty and needs a wash soon.l
In Wisconsin here - I hear ya, the struggle is real. I ordinarily would always hand wash and detail my cars but winter definitely presents a problem. I do take my car through a good quality touchless car wash but only when it's been snowing and my car is covered in salt. I do this mainly for the underbody flush. Otherwise I use AMMO NYC's waterless wash system which I can't say enough good things about. I'll honestly use this in the warm months as well if I'm in a hurry it's so good. Video here:


Appreciate 3
perikifi155.00
ed4678.50
      12-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
ted920
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
In Wisconsin here - I hear ya, the struggle is real. I ordinarily would always hand wash and detail my cars but winter definitely presents a problem. I do take my car through a good quality touchless car wash but only when it's been snowing and my car is covered in salt. I do this mainly for the underbody flush. Otherwise I use AMMO NYC's waterless wash system which I can't say enough good things about. I'll honestly use this in the warm months as well if I'm in a hurry it's so good. Video here:


Thank You so much for the AMMO NYC info. Looks like EXACTLY what I need. I can do this in my garage and keep the ride clean during the winter.

I'm ordering this ASAP.

Again, great info and THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
ted920
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I use a touchless wash and just apply Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax over the Ceramic Pro. Ceramic Pro has their own after-application detail spray, which I have and still use, but at $60 a bottle it's no better than Turtle Wax IMO, at $15. Just don't use the wax selection in the touchless wash; in fact, Ceramic Pro recommends against this. And if you have a matte PPF, don't use detail spray.
Sounds good. I was thinking of the same approach but foolishly I hadn't thought about the wax issue. Very glad that you mentioned it.

I'm going to get the AMMO NYC products but when I really need it, a good touchless wash and later the wet wax seems like great option.

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
gofast182
Lieutenant
385
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

You can't have a freeze resistant hose bib installed? I put one in myself and it has a hot water valve, too. I wash right down to 33 degrees if it really needs it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
araje
Private First Class
United_States
52
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: BMW, Audi
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Awesome. Looks like this is exactly what I need.
I have the opposite side of your problem. Here in AZ 112-115F is common. Though I try to wash in mornings it is still in upper 90ies at 8am. + dry weather.

I think this will be a great way to wash.
Has anyone tried this over Stek dynoshield PPF and GTechniq Clear serum ultra coat treated vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
ted920
First Lieutenant
107
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Awesome. Looks like this is exactly what I need.
I have the opposite side of your problem. Here in AZ 112-115F is common. Though I try to wash in mornings it is still in upper 90ies at 8am. + dry weather.

I think this will be a great way to wash.
Has anyone tried this over Stek dynoshield PPF and GTechniq Clear serum ultra coat treated vehicle?
I use this over my XPEL PPF and works perfect!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
Spencer518's Avatar
United_States
151
Rep
305
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 45e
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Albany, NY

iTrader: (0)

Resurrecting this thread because the title works.

Now that winter is upon us in the north and hoses are away, I'm going to be headed to the automatic car wash soon. I figured out the Car Wash camera view so I can line up with the rails. The manual says to fold the mirrors in an automatic wash. Is this really necessary? If they're folded in the mirror glass won't get cleaned. I never had an issue with my other cars with non-folding mirrors, but they also didn't have cameras on the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Alan l.'s Avatar
4225
Rep
8,062
Posts

Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States

iTrader: (9)

I use this once my hose is shut off. pressure is actually pretty darn decent for what it is.
https://smile.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-SPX...5894551&sr=8-2

__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #11
denaliman
Major
denaliman's Avatar
Canada
307
Rep
1,030
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I usually go to a local wand wash at night. I talked to the owner and he doesn't mind me bringing my buckets and wash soap if it is not busy. Wash by hand then I use their hot water wand and spotless rinse. Don't even think about using those wash brushes or should I say wire brushes! . Even at that, it still cost me about 10-15 bucks in loonies and toonies (Canadian). They use salt on the roads up here in Ontario and brine. The brine makes your car look completely white with all the road spray.
__________________

_____________________________________
2021 X6M Competition, 2021 Audi SQ5 Technik, 2013 Audi S4

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
bandersen
Second Lieutenant
103
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Ammo....great video and information - bookmarked! Thank you. So - I'm thinking of new car and PPF. Ceramic on the PPF? Over the next few years, would you use a wax over the PPF (or, PPF + Ceramic)? Any thoughts there? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
stockli81
Private First Class
44
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 2021 X5 M50i
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Was washing the other day in the 20's... Have a bathroom just outside the driveway area, so have the hose hooked up to both hot/cold water. Used just the hot
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
10101X5
First Lieutenant
240
Rep
378
Posts

Drives: 10101X101
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I used waterless wash concentrate before. It worked great.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST