BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Has anybody successfully upgraded X5 LCI Stereo

I had posted on the main site several weeks ago about an issue with the advanced driving assistant not working. It took 6 weeks to determine that the speaker impedance was too low in my Bavsound speakers. I replaced them with the OEM speakers and the driving assistant now works. Someone else posted a similar issue with Focal speakers. Although the Harman Kardon speakers are acceptable, they are not as good as the upgraded system.

Has anybody been able to upgrade the stereo on a LCI car and get the advanced driving assistant to function?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 08:03 PM   #2
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I was the one with the Focal speakers that caused a loss of Assisted Driving features on my 50e. I, too, am interested in finding a solution that will allow me to upgrade the speakers without losing AD.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 08:01 PM   #3
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

I am considering trying the new Bimmertech amp that is compatible with HK. Anyone here installed the new amp?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Here is an update. As you remember, I removed my Bavsound speakers and this allowed the assisted driving to work. I am not happy with the HK system so I installed a Bimmertech Alpha One Amp for HK tonight. This is a Match Up 10 DSP. It was an easy install. The wiring harness provided had to be mated with both the RAM unit and the Booster. It also needed a 12 v feed from the battery. Even with the factory OEM speakers the system sounded great. Went on a test drive and guess what, The assisted driving function was once again bricked. I removed the amp and the assisted driving worked again. Between the inability to code on LCI models anymore as well as this issue, I am quite disappointed with BMW. I have purchased at least 25 BMW's over the past 30 years for me and my family. Not sure I am going to maintain my brand loyalty in the future. It is a shame because the X5 50e is a great car otherwise. Can't even get B & W as an option in the USA. It crazy that you can't get a good sound system in a $90,000 car.
Appreciate 2
      09-19-2023, 08:25 AM   #5
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd116 View Post
Here is an update. As you remember, I removed my Bavsound speakers and this allowed the assisted driving to work. I am not happy with the HK system so I installed a Bimmertech Alpha One Amp for HK tonight. This is a Match Up 10 DSP. It was an easy install. The wiring harness provided had to be mated with both the RAM unit and the Booster. It also needed a 12 v feed from the battery. Even with the factory OEM speakers the system sounded great. Went on a test drive and guess what, The assisted driving function was once again bricked. I removed the amp and the assisted driving worked again. Between the inability to code on LCI models anymore as well as this issue, I am quite disappointed with BMW. I have purchased at least 25 BMW's over the past 30 years for me and my family. Not sure I am going to maintain my brand loyalty in the future. It is a shame because the X5 50e is a great car otherwise. Can't even get B & W as an option in the USA. It crazy that you can't get a good sound system in a $90,000 car.
+1 on the B & W availability. Your complaint echoes into one of my biggest complaints and almost stopped me from buy this truck. My X5 gets delivered in two weeks and my biggest gripe is how many options are now model restricted. Never used to be the case, especially non performance options. Turning BMW into a cheap car ordering experience. Just a few years ago you could get DHP on any engine type. I value sound systems and the best handling on all my cars but don’t want all my cars to have the biggest engines. I have an ///M and don’t need this one to be that.

Cheers,e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 05:31 AM   #6
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

I contacted Bimmer-Tech, they say that their system, Amp and Speakers, will work with DAP on the LCI.

Is it true? Has anyone tried it?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 06:18 AM   #7
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

I have been using the Bimmertech amp on my LCI X5 with absolutely no issues for the last several months. Bimmertech sent me a modified wiring harness with extra resistors to correct the errors I was getting with assisted driving plus. This has work flawlessly. They have now constructed a resistor box to mitigate against any possible heat related issues with the resistors, and that is being shipped to me. I am very confident that there will be no issue with this as this company has been absolutely fantastic with their customer service. Amp sounds great, and I would recommend it without any reservation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JoeAyalaM145.50
Go FasTA231.00
      03-07-2024, 08:21 AM   #8
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
I have been using the Bimmertech amp on my LCI X5 with absolutely no issues for the last several months. Bimmertech sent me a modified wiring harness with extra resistors to correct the errors I was getting with assisted driving plus. This has work flawlessly. They have now constructed a resistor box to mitigate against any possible heat related issues with the resistors, and that is being shipped to me. I am very confident that there will be no issue with this as this company has been absolutely fantastic with their customer service. Amp sounds great, and I would recommend it without any reservation.
Thank you. What is that MMI module for? Is the additional resistor box from BimmerTech?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 03:41 PM   #9
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Yes, that is the resistor box. It came in the mail today and I installed it and everything’s working just fine.
Appreciate 2
JoeAyalaM145.50
Go FasTA231.00
      03-23-2024, 10:26 PM   #10
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
... Amp sounds great, and I would recommend it without any reservation.
Thanks again.

What Speakers and Subs did you end up with? Did you also get the very loud Gongs?

I am looking for more clarity on the mids and highs, what did you find out on these?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 06:45 AM   #11
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
Thanks again.

What Speakers and Subs did you end up with? Did you also get the very loud Gongs?

I am looking for more clarity on the mids and highs, what did you find out on these?
I am using stock speakers and turn signals and PDC gongs are not much louder than without the amp.
Appreciate 1
JoeAyalaM145.50