Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kspyder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Will 19 inch fit the 45e with M sport package and trailer package which has even bigger brakes?
BMW installs 20" minimum with those brakes to ensure clearance. a few here have posted no issues with 19", but it's very tight so depends on your comfort/tolerance.
I guess if they fit, they fit? Can anyone who has done the 19 inch wheel post width and offset?
I am wondering if I have to think about Spoke design for caliper clearance.
If the rims are not BMW stock, even some 20" won't fit. I went through that in my winter rim search — several 20" rims that would fit by specs, didn't in reality regardless of spacers. Custom wheels really absolutely require trial fitment, it's not really practical to fully specify all the permutations in such a complex geometry (both rims and wheel well) and a tight fit.
Ideally 19 inch is more ideal because
1) cheaper tires
2) can run 265 vs 275 (on 20 inch). More narrow is better
3) wheel should be lighter

But 20 inch will definitely look nicer.
I wonder if this will fit

20x9
+35
5x112

https://www.super-speed.ca/flowform-rf04
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:43 AM   #68
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

19" winter fits fine with msports brake
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #69
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Will 19 inch fit the 45e with M sport package and trailer package which has even bigger brakes?
BMW installs 20" minimum with those brakes to ensure clearance. a few here have posted no issues with 19", but it's very tight so depends on your comfort/tolerance.
I guess if they fit, they fit? Can anyone who has done the 19 inch wheel post width and offset?
I am wondering if I have to think about Spoke design for caliper clearance.
If the rims are not BMW stock, even some 20" won't fit. I went through that in my winter rim search — several 20" rims that would fit by specs, didn't in reality regardless of spacers. Custom wheels really absolutely require trial fitment, it's not really practical to fully specify all the permutations in such a complex geometry (both rims and wheel well) and a tight fit.
Ideally 19 inch is more ideal because
1) cheaper tires
2) can run 265 vs 275 (on 20 inch). More narrow is better
3) wheel should be lighter

20x9
+35
5x112

You missed my point. I was not arguing against 19" rims. I was arguing for doing trial fitments rather than just relying on paper specs regardless of rim size if the rim is not BMW and spec'd for your car already.
      06-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #70
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:

20x9
+35
5x112

those are similar specs as my Rohana wheels except the offset. mine are ET27 on all four corners, so I added 18mm spacers in the rear only.

still check with SuperSpeed database to verify fitment on your vehicle, but it looks like it should and have no caliper clearance issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 06-11-2021 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #71
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
19" winter fits fine with msports brake
I have the same and also with M pack. Second season now. Now issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #72
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillplayswithcarss View Post
FWIW, my dealer (Switzerland) told me multiple times that they will flat-out deny any warranty claims if non-OE wheels or tires (non-star spec) are installed.

They had a guy with an X7 where the transfer case went boom. They denied his claim, because he ran non-star spec winter tires.
do you have any more back story of his situation? did he run tires with significantly different rolling circumference than OEM spec? if so, that could be cause to deny the claim for a transfer case failure, but what if he had OEM star-spec tires with OEM size, eg 275/45R20 but aftermarket wheels. would your dealer deny the same claim? (Though transfer case failure wouldn't have likely occurred with this latter setup.)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #73
s2kspyder
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

20x9
+35
5x112

those are similar specs as my Rohana wheels except the offset. mine are ET27 on all four corners, so I added 18mm spacers in the rear only.

still check with SuperSpeed database to verify fitment on your vehicle, but it looks like it should and have no caliper clearance issues.
Why did you add spacers in the rear? For winter, I plan to run square tires at 265 or 275 only. Based on your picture, it looks like u are using the 20s with all season tires
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #74
s2kspyder
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillplayswithcarss View Post
FWIW, my dealer (Switzerland) told me multiple times that they will flat-out deny any warranty claims if non-OE wheels or tires (non-star spec) are installed.

They had a guy with an X7 where the transfer case went boom. They denied his claim, because he ran non-star spec winter tires.
do you have any more back story of his situation? did he run tires with significantly different rolling circumference than OEM spec? if so, that could be cause to deny the claim for a transfer case failure, but what if he had OEM star-spec tires with OEM size, eg 275/45R20 but aftermarket wheels. would your dealer deny the same claim? (Though transfer case failure wouldn't have likely occurred with this latter setup.)
I would have a hard time believing non oem wheels and tires caused the transfer case to blow up unless you were running different diameters, etc. But the dealership can say whatever they want, it is probably best to tell them you had oem wheels on the car even if it meant swapping them out before going to dealership…
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4635.50
      06-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #75
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why did you add spacers in the rear? For winter, I plan to run square tires at 265 or 275 only. Based on your picture, it looks like u are using the 20s with all season tires
correct, 275/45R20 Bridgestone Alenza Sport OE spec. I originally had a 21" staggered setup when new but switched to a 20" square setup cuz they're less expensive, and there are more available all season RFTs in that size. I added spacers in the rear because the narrower 20" tires (275 vs 315) coupled with the new wheel offset tucked them under the fender too much for my liking, and I wanted to keep a wide stance similar to when the original 21" wheels/tires were on it. I didn't need to add spacers in the front because the final stance with the Rohana wheel offset was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #76
Strangec
Rep
Drives: '02 M3 Conv, '14 435i MSprt

BMW Winter Wheel Durability

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/ACCESSORI...IRE-ASSEMBLIES

Looking at the winter wheel descriptions at BMWUSA, the 748M and 735 descriptions specifically say, "BMW’s award winning light alloy wheels included in this set are extensively tested for over 200,000 miles under salt spray and on gravel tracks to ensure your Cold weather wheel and tire set looks it’s best for years to come.“ These wheel sets also indicate Pirelli Scorpion tires.

On the other hand, while the 740M set is described as a winter package, it doesn’t have the winter durability statement nor specify tires. Is this just someone being lazy with the website description, or are these in fact less durable wheels for winter?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #77
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangec View Post
On the other hand, while the 740M set is described as a winter package, it doesn’t have the winter durability statement nor specify tires. Is this just someone being lazy with the website description, or are these in fact less durable wheels for winter?
I sure hope not because that's what I bought for my winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 09:33 PM   #78
Strangec
Rep
Drives: '02 M3 Conv, '14 435i MSprt

My dealer said not to infer anything form it so they are probably the same as the other BMW wheels.

Did you buy your 740Ms as a winter tire package? Square 20"
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:01 PM   #79
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

One thing to consider on an X5, especially on the 45e, is that the vehicle is heavy and may be setup for towing a fairly heavy load...you want a wheel that is designed to handle the load, not only in weight, but in the side loads when you're pushing it in a corner or clamping down on the brakes.

When it comes to BMW starred tires...there is at least one discussion and a video on the board where they discuss the customization done on the tires...so, finding the same brand and model that is not customized for BMW, the drive/wear/handling characteristics can be different. Now, your priorities may differ from the BMW engineers, but you won't get the OEM development time and effort spent when trying to optimize the vehicle. This could change the road noise, resonant frequencies, wear characteristics, and possibly handling. IOW, a BMW OEM tire has been tweaked to account for the BMW chassis by BMW and the tire manufacturer. SOme of those things may overlap into their 'generic' version, but there's no guarantee of that.

This may not be an issue to many, but a 19" tire/wheel package will almost always end up less expensive than a 20" one, and in the winter, since the road surface may be obscured, having extra sidewall to help prevent wheel damage can be helpful. It's not much, but every little bit helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #80
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangec View Post

Did you buy your 740Ms as a winter tire package? Square 20"
In my case I bought a set of 740M with Pirelli all seasons mounted from somebody who switched wheels when his car was delivered. I am removing the Pirellis and putting Nokian winters on there. I'll try to sell the brand new pirellis. 20 square.
Appreciate 0