BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2023, 10:51 PM   #1
finkste
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e, 2023 X5 45e

2022 X5 45e Air conditioning compressor failure

On December 27, 2022, my wife's MY22 X5 45e started to make intermittent sounds coming out of the engine compartment. Vehicle has approx 16K miles on it / just under 1 yr old. Appt made with our BMW dealer's service dept, where it went on Dec 28. Sound recording provided, but unable to be replicated in the shop. Vehicle picked up on Dec 30, and continues to make intermittent noises.

On Jan 7, the noise became much more intense in sound. Captured videos demonstrate sound and approximate location of source of sound... vicinity of air conditioning compressor. iPhone videos captured and provided to dealer's service department.

Happy to share these videos if I can figure out how to upload 3-8mb files to here / also willing to share direct via email.

Vehicle goes back on on Jan 9, now making noise in service dept. Service issues loaner, car goes into shop. Vehicle diagnosed as having a massive air conditioning compressor failure, sending metal fragments throughout the refrigerant loop - "full system contamination". Dealer and BMW NA state that full replacement of air conditioning system required. "a massive job" per the SA.

Car in shop for approx two weeks, picked up Jan 24. Parts replacement list on work order is 7 pages in length. SA suggests the MSRP on this work would be in the vicinity of $26-28K. Work order suggests that BMW NA is heavily involved in this work.

SA states that he has only seen this occur one other time - on an i8.

My wife is less than pleased that this happened and has asked some good questions about what if this had occurred out of warranty.

Of course a number of questions come to mind.
- Has this been seen or heard of by other members of this forum?
- if so, what were the circumstances and was it on an X5 45e?
- Is there something that we are not asking for from BMW?
- Others?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:14 PM   #2
adrianpike
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05, 2011 E90

Same thing happened here as a data point. Grinding noise, then a CEL shortly afterwards. Pulled codes, got a P06A0. Got a video of the noise (will try and attach it later), and took it into our local dealer - about an hour and a half drive, so I was pretty worried since the noise stopped s is tradition.

Just talked to the SA, and we're looking at the full boogie as well, A/C replacement, HV battery gasket. Apparently one supply module is currently backordered so they're wanting to put me in something from enterprise. Not great.

We have similar questions to you - I'm seeing a lot of reports of failing HVAC on the 45e's, and I'm not sure I want to keep this thing past warranty, which sucks because I've loved the car to date.
Appreciate 0