BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-06-2022, 06:26 AM   #45
airduster
Private
Rep
Drives: '22 x5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The dealer has to pay back incentives when the loan is paid off before three months, not the purchaser.
Given the current market situation, would the dealer, theoretically, refuse to sell the car to you if you bring your own financing that makes no incentives to them?

Without any loyalty rebates, I was quoted 3.99%, which is obviously tooooo high, so I'd go with DCU that is offering 1.99%.

1st option is to bring a check with me when picking up the delivery, but not sure how to negotiate with the dealership if they don't want to play with it.

2nd option is to refinance immediately.Is the "normal" 3 months riding a mandatory? I don't really mind paying 3.99% for 3 months then refinance, but the the problem is, rates will be jumping up again for sure in May, which is actually already increased .5% since March, I don't want to wait 3 months and and get something like 2.99% as DCU only locks the rate for 45 days .....

Delivery in about 2~3 weeks, not sure what strategies should I take...Any suggestions are welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 06:49 AM   #46
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by airduster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TurtleBoy;28766977"
The dealer has to pay back incentives when the loan is paid off before three months, not the purchaser.
Given the current market situation, would the dealer, theoretically, refuse to sell the car to you if you bring your own financing that makes no incentives to them?

Without any loyalty rebates, I was quoted 3.99%, which is obviously tooooo high, so I'd go with DCU that is offering 1.99%.

1st option is to bring a check with me when picking up the delivery, but not sure how to negotiate with the dealership if they don't want to play with it.

2nd option is to refinance immediately.Is the "normal" 3 months riding a mandatory? I don't really mind paying 3.99% for 3 months then refinance, but the the problem is, rates will be jumping up again for sure in May, which is actually already increased .5% since March, I don't want to wait 3 months and and get something like 2.99% as DCU only locks the rate for 45 days .....

Delivery in about 2~3 weeks, not sure what strategies should I take...Any suggestions are welcome
Buy with dealer for 3.99, get the loyalty if you qualify. Then refinance or payoff the next day it's delivered.
Thats my game plan to counter dealers 1% add-on bs.
There is not 3-month waiting period, early payment has no penalties.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #47
airduster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabesky View Post
Buy with dealer for 3.99, get the loyalty if you qualify. Then refinance or payoff the next day it's delivered.
Thanks. I don't have any loyalty incentives at all, so thinking about bringing a check from DCU, but not sure if the dealer would take it or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #48
Scottdip
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

This whole tired game of buying a car from a dealer is just getting old. Can't wait till dealers go away and there is a direct to customer model.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2022, 08:33 AM   #49
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdip View Post
This whole tired game of buying a car from a dealer is just getting old. Can't wait till dealers go away and there is a direct to customer model.
Yes i totally agree, so tired of dealing with these greedy asshats. They do everything and say anything no matter it makes sense or not to milk you dry.
My most recent visit over the weekend i was told they spend 5-6k to cpo a vehicle hence the low trade value.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:20 PM   #50
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "alabesky;28769061"
Thanks. I don't have any loyalty incentives at all, so thinking about bringing a check from DCU, but not sure if the dealer would take it or not...
Have you looked at joining the BMW car club for the 1k credit? It takes a few months, $159 for 3 years I believe needed for the rebate. I did this several cars ago and have kept the membership active. Just did another 3 years this January. Love the magazines and I should take better advantage of the other discounts.

https://www.bmwcca.org/membership_reward_rebate
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #51
moose0j
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
The dealer will take a check from DCU.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #52
airduster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGASPEN View Post
Have you looked at joining the BMW car club for the 1k credit? It takes a few months, $159 for 3 years I believe needed for the rebate. I did this several cars ago and have kept the membership active. Just did another 3 years this January. Love the magazines and I should take better advantage of the other discounts.

https://www.bmwcca.org/membership_reward_rebate
Unfortunately, no. I had to get a new car in rush, then decided to go with x5 45e though I am not a previous BMW owner. Since my order went through fairly quick (ordered on Mar.7, and now it's dispatched from factory), 6 months is not applicable to my case...thanks for the advice anyway!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #53
airduster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose0j View Post
The dealer will take a check from DCU.
Good to know! BTW, were there any negative cases reported so far as you heard of?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #54
airduster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdip View Post
I believe the whole business model will be changing soon...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #55
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

They could do that but have not heard of any doing it and unlikely that they will. We have seen where if dealers know how you are financing upfront they may give a higher price to non-BMWFS financing but not refusing to sell.

The three months has nothing to do with you, that is on the dealer's end. You could pay it off the next day without any penalty.
      04-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Highly unlikely it will be soon since you would need to have dealer/franchise laws changed in just about every, if not every, state. Hopefully one day.
      04-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #57
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Highly unlikely it will be soon since you would need to have dealer/franchise laws changed in just about every, if not every, state. Hopefully one day.
The sooner the better 👍🏼👍🏼.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #58
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
I recall Ford determining that they will no longer be stocking many models on the lot and going to a customer order process. That'll be a whole new world no doubt. If I can't go car shopping and bring one home with me at the end of the day it will seriously inconvenience a lot of car buyers who don't have the ability/foresight to order months in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 12:13 AM   #59
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Yes i totally agree, so tired of dealing with these greedy asshats. They do everything and say anything no matter it makes sense or not to milk you dry.
My most recent visit over the weekend i was told they spend 5-6k to cpo a vehicle hence the low trade value.
They’re in the business to make as much money as possible in a transaction, and we as the consumer are in the business to save as much as possible in a transaction, is what it is. If the negotiations aren’t favorable for me, I just move on, but I don’t think the dealer is in the wrong for doing what is in their best interests… especially in this market, because if I’m not going to buy it, someone else will. When you have folks paying 65K+ for Tellurides, anything will sell.

That being said, I do not tolerate blatant dishonesty, bullying or threats when I negotiate. I have zero issues walking away, I’ve never been in a position where I can’t buy it somewhere else when it comes to vehicles and I don’t fall in love with inanimate objects 🤣

Last edited by jiggie; 04-08-2022 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #60
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I’ve yet to personally hear anyone turned away with outside financing in hand. We just took PCD on our 45e, and although I’m sure the dealer would have preferred we did BMWFS, they had no issues or gave us push back on taking the check from PenFed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 02:04 PM   #61
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggie View Post
Quote:
They’re in the business to make as much money as possible in a transaction, and we as the consumer are in the business to save as much as possible in a transaction, is what it is. If the negotiations aren’t favorable for me, I just move on, but I don’t think the dealer is in the wrong for doing what is in their best interests… especially in this market, because if I’m not going to buy it, someone else will. When you have folks paying 65K+ for Tellurides, anything will sell.

That being said, I do not tolerate blatant dishonesty, bullying or threats when I negotiate. I have zero issues walking away, I’ve never been in a position where I can’t buy it somewhere else when it comes to vehicles and I don’t fall in love with inanimate objects 🤣
Yah i agree 100%.
I guess my issue is that some has told me the most ridiculous lies right in your face just to lowball you on your trade as much as possible.
I would prefer when they tell me straight up "we cant do it, this is the best we can do" instead of lying and making up ridiculous claims, coz then I'll either take it or move on. Something so simple they tend to complicate by not being honest and sometimes rude.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 07:28 AM   #62
moose0j
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Quote:
Good to know! BTW, were there any negative cases reported so far as you heard of?

I don't know why there would be. You're not required to use BMW financing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #63
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yah i agree 100%.
I guess my issue is that some has told me the most ridiculous lies right in your face just to lowball you on your trade as much as possible.
I would prefer when they tell me straight up "we cant do it, this is the best we can do" instead of lying and making up ridiculous claims, coz then I'll either take it or move on. Something so simple they tend to complicate by not being honest and sometimes rude.
Yea, I'm totally fair when I think about trading in. I have a number in my head I would like to get, and a bottom $ that I require. I usually spend an hour or two pulling "Comps" before I show up at a dealer so I have a general idea of what I'm expecting them to do. When I get a lowball offer, I tell the salesperson that I'm all for it, if that same amount comes off the top of what we already negotiated on their car, two can play that game. I don't care for the mental and mathematical gymnastics they try to play, I'm focused on the final cost of the car. You want to sell me an extended warranty? Sure - I want the price of the car knocked down by as much, otherwise, no thank you. Keep pushing me on it with some "what if" scenarios, and I'm going to tell you I feel like I shouldn't be buying you car if your that worried about it breaking so soon.

If I'm going to finance my purchase, I do all my negotiating before I let them pull any credit. Most luxury brands I have never had an issue with that, but some of the more budget brands literally want you to fill out a credit app after the first 'Hello!' - lol.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2022, 07:00 PM   #64
DrPartagas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Sales Advisor told me yesterday that no early payoff from financing until you hit the 6 month mark. Apparently, one must make 6 payments before you can make a penalty free payoff. I used to like getting a cash/rebate for using financing and then pay it off rather quickly. Is this a dealer specific policy or protocol across the board now? This info came from PA.

Last edited by DrPartagas; 04-10-2022 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #65
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartagas View Post
Sales Advisor told me yesterday that no early payoff from financing until you hit the 6 month mark. Apparently, one must make 6 payments for you can make a penalty free payoff. I used to like getting a cash/rebate for using financing and then pay it off rather quickly. Is this a dealer specific policy or protocol across the board now? This info came from PA.
Just ignore him, there is no penalty for paying it off early. They are just telling you that so you don't pay it off early and they get penalized. Financing is from BMWFS, there are no dealer specific policies.
      04-11-2022, 06:05 AM   #66
alabesky
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPartagas View Post
Sales Advisor told me yesterday that no early payoff from financing until you hit the 6 month mark. Apparently, one must make 6 payments before you can make a penalty free payoff. I used to like getting a cash/rebate for using financing and then pay it off rather quickly. Is this a dealer specific policy or protocol across the board now? This info came from PA.
This is the type of lies that just pisses me off.
They lie and threaten you with penalty payments, instead they could just say we don't get our commissions if you leave bmwfs early.
If i was treated right and honest by the dealer, i would definitely help them out with this one.
When they say that, just makes me want to pay off or refinance right away.

I wish salesperson is regulated by some entity like in real estate, probably half of them currently on the market would already have their licenses revoked due to misrepresentation and honesty issues😂

Not related but a salesperson told me 2022 has a brand new idrive hence my 21 is not desirable. I asked him whats new about it, he stuttered and said "hey bmw" responds slightly better.
Appreciate 0