BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
sailj22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Confusing Settings

I have gone through my settings and set the way I want. For example, I have put the option in for NOT shutting off car when I walk away. With the key in the car I walk in the house or something and sometimes it shuts off and sometimes it doesn't.

I also find it confusing as to how to leave the car in what we used to call ACC mode which is where things like the radio stay on so you can listen while outside the car without the car being in ignition mode where the lights and everything else stay on. Sometimes it cuts off early and sometimes stays on for a long period of time.

I am sure it is me and I just don't understand the processes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

It's not just you - my car seems to constantly surprise me with the 'shutdown/not shutdown' behaviour and its impossible to predict what will happen when I shut off the engine.

I guess it's trying to keep things exciting...
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

You're right - it is a bit confusing.

The setting you describe about shutting the car off when you walk away. That's for the iDrive system. You can have it set so that the iDrive shuts off when you open the door, or stays on. So after you drive, you stop the engine, open the door, the iDrive will shut down.

What's happening in your case is the automatic start stop is activating when you stop the car, so when you get out and walk away the car shuts down completely. I'm guessing you have a 2021 version that does not have the A.S.S. button to turn it off. On my car if I have A.S.S. on, get out and walk away the car shuts down as if I turned off the engine. However, if I turn A.S.S. off, and do the same thing, the car keeps running.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
The setting you describe about shutting the car off when you walk away. That's for the iDrive system. You can have it set so that the iDrive shuts off when you open the door, or stays on. So after you drive, you stop the engine, open the door, the iDrive will shut down.
this is also an inconsistent action for my 45e. i have it set in iDrive to shut off when trip complete (drive state OFF, open door). I understand the "habitual" actions required for this system, but still even today, iDrive did not shut off when I opened the door at the end of my trip. not the end of the world, but it's hard to find consistency where it doesn't seem to exist.

another case in point is its "ACC" capability. when is the power to the central console 12V plug turned off? I have an external dash camera plugged into it. Sometimes it turns off after some minutes after I've ended my trip but other times it stays on. It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or unlocked. Just yesterday after a 7-hour workday, I approached my car (did not unlock it yet) and noticed my dash camera still on, so power to the 12V battery didn't turn off even after locking the car upon arrival to work. just odd behavior...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
sailj22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

What's happening in your case is the automatic start stop is activating when you stop the car, so when you get out and walk away the car shuts down completely. I'm guessing you have a 2021 version that does not have the A.S.S. button to turn it off. On my car if I have A.S.S. on, get out and walk away the car shuts down as if I turned off the engine. However, if I turn A.S.S. off, and do the same thing, the car keeps running.
Yes, 2021 so no ASS button
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
this is also an inconsistent action for my 45e. i have it set in iDrive to shut off when trip complete (drive state OFF, open door). I understand the "habitual" actions required for this system, but still even today, iDrive did not shut off when I opened the door at the end of my trip. not the end of the world, but it's hard to find consistency where it doesn't seem to exist.

another case in point is its "ACC" capability. when is the power to the central console 12V plug turned off? I have an external dash camera plugged into it. Sometimes it turns off after some minutes after I've ended my trip but other times it stays on. It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or unlocked. Just yesterday after a 7-hour workday, I approached my car (did not unlock it yet) and noticed my dash camera still on, so power to the 12V battery didn't turn off even after locking the car upon arrival to work. just odd behavior...
That's odd ... mine works perfectly every time. The only time the car stays on after I shut the engine down is if someone is still in the car or if I open the door before shutting down the engine. Other than that it works every time. My only annoyance is I wish there was a way to turn off iDrive and keep it off. It's annoying when cleaning the car to have it always turn on - then my bluetooth on my phone connects to iDrive and I lose music to my ear buds. I wish BMW would add a "Car Cleaning" option on idrive where it keeps iDrive off for a set amount of time, or until you turn it back on manually.

Hard to know exactly, but the ACC capability could be contributed to your comfort access settings. As you approach the car it will unlock and turn on. So what could have happened for you is that your car recognized you were approaching and turned on the ACC, but wasn't actually on the whole time. I've read post where ppl were looking for power sources for the dash cams for after you turn off the car b/c it seems the ACC power only stays on for a short time after.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
That's odd ... mine works perfectly every time. The only time the car stays on after I shut the engine down is if someone is still in the car or if I open the door before shutting down the engine. Other than that it works every time. My only annoyance is I wish there was a way to turn off iDrive and keep it off. It's annoying when cleaning the car to have it always turn on - then my bluetooth on my phone connects to iDrive and I lose music to my ear buds. I wish BMW would add a "Car Cleaning" option on idrive where it keeps iDrive off for a set amount of time, or until you turn it back on manually.
Just keep the key fob out of range when washing the car. Then the car won't be able to connect with the key fob.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Just keep the key fob out of range when washing the car. Then the car won't be able to connect with the key fob.
I'll try this the next time I clean but I could swear it doesn't matter. Every time I open the door to the car the idrive wakes up. Now it could be that the range of the FOB is high and I have to keep it on the opposite side of the house.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:17 PM   #9
NightCrawler_
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

Quote:

I have a 2021 and my vehicle behaves exactly as you described. In Comfort mode (where I cannot deactivate the A.S.S system) if I open the door when stopped the car shuts off, and I have to restart the engine when I get back in. In Sport mode the engine does not shut down when I open the door and walk away.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:09 AM   #10
sailj22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My only annoyance is I wish there was a way to turn off iDrive and keep it off. It's annoying when cleaning the car to have it always turn on - then my bluetooth on my phone connects to iDrive and I lose music to my ear buds. I wish BMW would add a "Car Cleaning" option on idrive where it keeps iDrive off for a set amount of time, or until you turn it back on manually.
My wife has '18 X3 with ASS button. I know that when we shut it off the I Drive stays on when you walk away. If you hit the ASS button again after you shut the car off the iDrive shuts down. I wish we had that on the '21 model as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
I'll try this the next time I clean but I could swear it doesn't matter. Every time I open the door to the car the idrive wakes up. Now it could be that the range of the FOB is high and I have to keep it on the opposite side of the house.
These might be useful for your use case. Pressing and holding the volume/power button will turn off the iDrive.

I also sometimes turn of the center screen at night and saved a memory/preference key for it. Car > Settings > Displays > Control display > Turn off control display.

I use NFC key card to open door and start the car; I am not seeing the car shutting down on my 2021 40i when I step out of the car. May be I was in sports individual, I'll try this in comfort mode.
      01-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailj22 View Post
My wife has '18 X3 with ASS button. I know that when we shut it off the I Drive stays on when you walk away. If you hit the ASS button again after you shut the car off the iDrive shuts down. I wish we had that on the '21 model as well.
I think you may be thinking of ACC not A.S.S. If the car is off, the ASS button should do anything, especially pertaining to iDrive.

ACC (Start button) - Push once, idrive boots up. Push again with foot on break, car starts. For me, iDrive boots up the second I open the door, so the car is already in ACC mode before the engine starts.

ASS - Auto Start/Stop - MY 2020 and below, you push it to temporarily disable auto start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #13
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
These might be useful for your use case. Pressing and holding the volume/power button will turn off the iDrive.

I also sometimes turn of the center screen at night and saved a memory/preference key for it. Car > Settings > Displays > Control display > Turn off control display.

I use NFC key card to open door and start the car; I am not seeing the car shutting down on my 2021 40i when I step out of the car. May be I was in sports individual, I'll try this in comfort mode.
Yes - I turn off iDrive by the volume knob but the annoying thing is you have to do it every time you open the door. When I clean the inside of my car I only open one door at a time b/c I don't want bugs, dust, etc getting inside. I'm also listening to my AirPods connected to my phone. So every time, iDrive boots up, my phone connects, Spotify goes from playing through my AirPods to playing on CarPlay... aggravates me every time!! Now when I open the door, it's a race to shut down iDrive before my phone has a chance to connect to it.

For the screen shut off - no need for a memory button - they have a shortcut for it on the iDrive screen already. If you push the control up to get to the top of the iDrive, all the way to the right is the "turn off screen" option. Technically not as fast as just pushing a memory button, but still pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #14
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Yes - I turn off iDrive by the volume knob but the annoying thing is you have to do it every time you open the door. When I clean the inside of my car I only open one door at a time b/c I don't want bugs, dust, etc getting inside. I'm also listening to my AirPods connected to my phone. So every time, iDrive boots up, my phone connects, Spotify goes from playing through my AirPods to playing on CarPlay... aggravates me every time!! Now when I open the door, it's a race to shut down iDrive before my phone has a chance to connect to it.
Ok, now I understand what you mean.

It is really annoying how every time a door is opened, iDrive syncs up with my phone. Many times I have my phone playing siriusxm through a bluetooth speaker in the garage and as soon as I open a door, it stops the connection. Can't reconnect till volume button is pressed or it times out. Then I have to hit the play button on phone to connect with the bluetooth speaker.
My previous 2019 X3 M40i with iDrive 6 did no such thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
sailj22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think you may be thinking of ACC not A.S.S. If the car is off, the ASS button should do anything, especially pertaining to iDrive.

ACC (Start button) - Push once, idrive boots up. Push again with foot on break, car starts. For me, iDrive boots up the second I open the door, so the car is already in ACC mode before the engine starts.

ASS - Auto Start/Stop - MY 2020 and below, you push it to temporarily disable auto start/stop.
Correct. I was wrong. Have to hit the start button again to have it shut off.
Appreciate 0