BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

how to make x5 45e display 40 miles range

For couple month wife was driving in the hybrid (default) mode and on full charge it would show max 29 miles.
Yesterday I switched to electric only and drove 20 miles - after overnight charge it shows 39 miles!
So, it doesnt depend on your driving style, your mood etc.....much simpler algorithm - switch to electric only, drive, charge and it shows more.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

It really does matter how you drive what range you'll get out of the batteries. While the mode does play into it some, it's more on your style and the temperature. And, it's only an estimate that is valid if all of the conditions remain the same, and will change as the history does.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
bertenyi
Rep
Drives: G30 520d, G05 X5 45e

The range shown seems to solely depend on your driving style over the last 10-20 miles.
Yesterday the last 20km before charging was on electric only all downhill coming home from neighboring hills. Upon full charge the range shown was a stunning 100km (62 miles). I even took a screenshot as i could not believe it myself...:-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
Chrudosh150.50
      01-15-2021, 04:55 AM   #4
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

On average how many real world miles are you guys getting on full charge?

How about on a full tank in hybrid? I can understand if most haven't tried this.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
jag sahota
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nothing BMW

in the UK, being winter, I am achieving about 35 miles max but this is using heated seats, heating in the car etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
I got 20 miles yesterday and the first 20 miles the car ran on gas because the battery was so cold. It was -28 C (-18 F) and the car had been staying outside all the time.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      01-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post

How about on a full tank in hybrid? I can understand if most haven't tried this.
my daily commute is about 20 miles round trip. despite what the beginning electric range shows (anywhere between 31-37 miles), when i come home, i'm left with 9-10 miles of electric range, so i appear to get 30-31 miles from each fully charged battery.

i use Electric Individual almost exclusively driving in temps between 25-55ºF. car is parked in an enclosed, uncontrolled garage. my fuel tank is still 95% full from when i first got my car on 12/18/2020! obviously, YMMV depending on how you drive it.

honestly, i just wish BMWNA would unlock additional battery capacity like the EU models get!

Last edited by nZtiZia; 01-16-2021 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

In my US model, never got more than 30 miles. I mainly drive in city roads (45-50 miles per hour limits) to go to the office (around 6 miles each way). I use the pre conditioning before I leave the office, heat seats, massage occasionally, etc. Kind of need to charge it every two days (or every day to be safer). Wish the battery had a little more range in US (similar to the European one at least).

Yesterday I went around Philadelphia and got much more range in highways. I suppose it depends on your driving, but the algorithm seems pretty accurate.

PS: I haven't visited a gas station in over three months, so even if phev are still contaminating (see link for the emissions scandal) for some of us are a great option in our daily commutes.
Link - https://www.transportenvironment.org...lution-claimed
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post
PS: I haven't visited a gas station in over three months, so even if phev are still contaminating (see link for the emissions scandal) for some of us are a great option in our daily commutes.
man, the results in this study are upsetting, but without knowing their methods, equipment used, or other comparable studies' results, i will take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      01-16-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The estimated range on any vehicle, whether ICE or EV or PHEV is based on an algorithm the exact input parameters are often a company secret. How far you can drive with an energy fillup will vary considerably based on how you're driving. While cold affects an ICE, it affects an EV or PHEV more, since in most cases, there's no waste, excess heat from an engine to warm the cabin, keep the external mirrors clean, or the windows. An EV isn't as affected by how fast your accelerate, but like most vehicles, is depending on how smoothly you drive, and how consistent your speed is. Constantly varying, while worse on an ICE, gets some benefit from regenerative braking in an EV or PHEV.

I have a US model X5, and I have seen range estimates of over 40-miles. It seems to average more in the upper 30-mile range with how I use my vehicle. If you never see more than 30-miles, while there's nothing wrong with that, it implies you are driving it very similar to the EPA test procedure, which is their estimate for the vehicle. Those in most of the rest of the world are allowed to use more of the battery. BMWUSA chose to limit the maximum volume, maybe to help ensure the battery would live beyond the warranty period, which is shorter in some other markets.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 06:44 AM   #11
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

considering the article mentionned above
https://www.transportenvironment.org...lution-claimed

I would not be surprised if BMW decide to extend the US limited range to its full potential, in order to avoid trouble with the law. If it becomes verified and public that the EPA estimate are wildly innacurate, BMW will have to act and an easy way to improve on it will be to improve the range.

It seems to me the worst case scenario is when you ask the car to recharge the battery.

possible outcome #2, BMW could limit the battery recharging while driving.

Knowing their main concern is to avoid paying the bill for prematurely failing battery. I mean failing before the federal warranty expire. Which I think it like 8 years if I recall...
      01-17-2021, 08:03 PM   #12
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I look at it this way...if you promised 30-miles, and many people couldn't get that, would you be madder? SO, if you promise (at least) 30-miles, and many people get more, you think they should be mad? The vehicle was advertised in the USA to get 30-miles on EV. It does that for nearly everyone. It's not false advertising. That the vehicle has different capabilities elsewhere it is sold, that's normal. With the way I use mine, I'm averaging between about 35-43 miles on batteries which is enough for my needs, and is more than advertised. Now, it might improve as the vehicle gets a few more miles on it and things loosen up, and I expect it to improve maybe 10% or more once it warms back up again in the spring. Now, if it just stays problem free, I'm happy.
Appreciate 0