BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Considering a G05 X5 - thoughts appreciated

Hello all, long time no post. I've been away from the brand for 7 plus years now, hard to believe.

My last BMW was a 2011 F10 535i. If you want to read a long saga about it, you can HERE. The TLDR version is that car had multiple issues and over 2 and a half years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The car that replaced it is the one that is now up for replacement; a 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. We've had it since new, ordered it custom, and my wife has absolutely loved it. We've gone on 6 long (2500 miles plus) road trips with it but otherwise it just lives in and around Houston and SE Texas, and has about 93,500 miles on it at this point.

I just re-read that old thread about my F10 and damn, if you didn't know me, I'd sound like a complete wanker, lol. So much complaining about that car. But really, it was the car (maybe that one in general, or just the F10) that really wrankled me. In the intervening years, I've owned a GS 350, a GTi, two Tesla Model 3's (one totaled) and also two 911's as weekend cars. And I think for all those cars, all the issues in total would be fewer than the issues I encountered in the F10. The Cayenne has had issues, too, but the dealer dealt with them, mostly under warranty, and it still hasn't kept me from enjoying the hell out of the car. So it was the car, I swear, lol.

We still love the Cayenne, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and the tech is pretty old, not being a Porsche strong point to begin with. It's been through dieselgate and despite having a newer set of software on it, has never regained the snap that it initially came from the factory with. I've had two new Cayenne loaners from the dealer and to be honest, I'm not impressed. Parts quality is down, the infotainment is overly complex and not very usable, and it drives way more like a Mercedes than a Porsche (relative, I realize these are 4,500 lb SUV's).

I test drove a G05 40i when it first came out and I liked it, but we weren't really in the market then. My neighbor just got a Phytonic Blue / Coffee X40i MSport and it's really sharp. I've been lurking and checking out the threads here and was wondering if people could chime in on a few things:

1. How has reliability been? My F10 was a freaking nightmare. Not only were there a bunch of problems, half of them couldn't be solved after multiple trips?

2. Is the throttle tip in issue gone? The G05 that I drove seemed fine, but some of the older F-series cars that I've driven like the 6GC and other 5 series all had the same issue....very hard to pull away from a stop smoothly, and when you romped on the pedal, a huge delay in application of power (like 1-2 seconds). Not lag, command delay.

3. How's the V8 been? Last I checked in the F Series cars, these things ate injectors for breakfast and toasted batteries due to terrible charging schemes. I seem to recall reading BMW dealers were swapping batteries every oil change?!?! Has this been rectified? What's the real world MPG / range on these things?

4. Which engine would you get? Would you consider the hybrid? My wife's daily commute is only about 15 miles each way. I have a Tesla Model 3 as my daily, so we already have a 240V plug in the garage. I worry in these cars about the gas engine firing up and going full bore from cold, and the weight as well. But wouldn't mind the extra punch of the electric motor and the increased mileage of all electric driving for local trips.

5. How's the HVAC on these cars? Houston is HOT, and I seem to recall some early complaints of weak AC. Has that been solved?

6. Air suspension....I passed on this in my Cayenne as to not have to pay for expensive repairs. I somewhat regret it as the roads around here can be shockingly bad. But I also don't care for a floaty suspension either. How has people's experiences been?

7. Active Cruise / Lane keeping / Traffic Jam. One of the best parts of my Tesla is the Active Cruise / Auto Steer. It's a boon in traffic and I won't own another commuting / trip car without it. How's it work on the X5? I've heard the lane keeping / safety can be really, really annoying. But how's the traffic jam assist?

All I can think of for now. I promise I did search, digested what I read, and still had these questions, lol. Given how long my wife has enjoyed the Cayenne, and given that the kids aren't far out from college, I think this one will be with us a while so I don't want to jump into something I'm going to regret.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 01-11-2021 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

My daily is a Model 3 as well. My wife (whenever she goes back in the office) has a 10 mile commute. So, we went with the 45e. So far, we love it.

Air suspension is one reason we went with it. If you want sporty, it does feel sporty. I mean, you definitely feel the weight, but you feel weight even with the 40i (I tested both back to back). There's a tiny bit of that electric shove with the hybrid. It's pretty punchy. Sporty enough for a heavy SUV. The Model S feels way more boat like than the 45e.

I hear the V8 still has reliability issues, but is a fantastic motor otherwise.

I haven't tried the a/c in hot weather yet (mine was delivered a month ago) and I don't have the Active Cruise (but I use AutoPilot constantly on the 3).
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6513.00
sunfarm26.50
      01-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
The Model S feels way more boat like than the 45e.
That is interesting - I've never driven any Tesla. When you say feels more like a boat, do you mean it has wallowy handling?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
That is interesting - I've never driven any Tesla. When you say feels more like a boat, do you mean it has wallowy handling?
Can't answer for the person you're asking, but I will say that the Model S has two things going against it. One, it's a very LONG vehicle. It's actually 1.5" longer than a G05 X5!! Second, while I've not driven one of the newer "Raven" Model S with the updated air suspension, the old system basically had a Mercedes E class- style of calibration. Not wallowy, but definitely not tuned for any kind of sporty behavior.

By contrast, a Porsche Panamera or Taycan has a pretty sporty air suspension setup. That's what I am ok with having.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

We have a 2019 40i M-Sport, closing in on 30k miles. Reliability has been perfect. There have been a couple niggles like a high pitched noise coming from the dash, but nothing major.

Before buying it we drove Merc., Audi, Land Rover and nothing felt as special as the G05. When driving, it disappeared around us more than any of the others. The car is wonderful to drive, with a perfect balance of ride comfort and handling.

As for engine, I'd say get the B58 (40i) all day. It's a gem of an engine as you can see not only in this but other BMW products. Plus current versions of the B58 have benefited from a once-over by Toyota. It delivers fantastic power in a silky smooth manner. I don't notice any issues with throttle tip-in.

I also feel that BMW is top of the heap in terms of infotainment right now. Overall it may not be the flashiest, but in addition to a great interface BMW offers many options to control/interact with the car which insures it can cater to any driver with minimal distraction (key functions still have glorious hard buttons, voice control is great, gesture control, touch screen, iDrive controller)

No issues with the AC.

That's about all I can comment on.

Edit: Performance Center Delivery was hands-down the best new car experience we've had, and maybe the single best consumer experience of any brand/product ever. Do it.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-11-2021 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I can say the A/C works fine. Lived in San Antonio for years. Best thing to do is get ceramic window film on all the windows...even the clear stuff for the windshield. Complete lifesaver
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #7
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

I love my 45e and your wife's commuting range is perfect for it. Plus unlike Tesla, you can still get the $7,500 federal tax credit making the 45e cheaper than the 40i. Definitely test drive one. It's got some great power
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Can't answer for the person you're asking, but I will say that the Model S has two things going against it. One, it's a very LONG vehicle. It's actually 1.5" longer than a G05 X5!! Second, while I've not driven one of the newer "Raven" Model S with the updated air suspension, the old system basically had a Mercedes E class- style of calibration. Not wallowy, but definitely not tuned for any kind of sporty behavior.

By contrast, a Porsche Panamera or Taycan has a pretty sporty air suspension setup. That's what I am ok with having.
Yes, it's not "wallowy". However, the length does have something to do with the feel I believe. The low center of gravity/weight helps in keeping it planted, but that's the same with the 45e. However, the S (non-Raven; but this includes the P100D) doesn't have that feeling of being able to turn on a dime. No "sharp reflexes" or anything like that. It's not a Lexus ES/LS where you slowly drift in the direction you turn the steering wheel, but it feels like a large sport boat where you're very aware of the size and have to plan or anticipate a bit if making a sharp turn. You just feel it's size a lot. The 3 is just so much more tossable. The X5 is not going to feel anything close to that sporty in handling, but not many cars will. It can still feel sporty, just in a bit different way. Definitely a fun car and I love driving it. It's also FAR more comfortable than the 3. Much quieter too and so luxurious, even far more luxurious than a S. But, the electronics suck in comparison. It's all livable at the X5 level, but it is a bit frustrating when coming from a 3.

Last edited by codex57; 01-11-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
mobilejo1110.00
kleo12.00
      01-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
We have a 2019 40i M-Sport, closing in on 30k miles. Reliability has been perfect. There have been a couple niggles like a high pitched noise coming from the dash, but nothing major.

Before buying it we drove Merc., Audi, Land Rover and nothing felt as special as the G05. When driving, it disappeared around us more than any of the others. The car is wonderful to drive, with a perfect balance of ride comfort and handling.

As for engine, I'd say get the B58 (40i) all day. It's a gem of an engine as you can see not only in this but other BMW products. Plus current versions of the B58 have benefited from a once-over by Toyota. It delivers fantastic power in a silky smooth manner. I don't notice any issues with throttle tip-in.

I also feel that BMW is top of the heap in terms of infotainment right now. Overall it may not be the flashiest, but in addition to a great interface BMW offers many options to control/interact with the car which insures it can cater to any driver with minimal distraction (key functions still have glorious hard buttons, voice control is great, gesture control, touch screen, iDrive controller)

No issues with the AC.

That's about all I can comment on.

Edit: Performance Center Delivery was hands-down the best new car experience we've had, and maybe the single best consumer experience of any brand/product ever. Do it.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I can say the A/C works fine. Lived in San Antonio for years. Best thing to do is get ceramic window film on all the windows...even the clear stuff for the windshield. Complete lifesaver
Yes, wouldn't have a car in TX without tint. Even my 997 Turbo is going to have tint, although getting 70% as I like the look with the windows clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
I love my 45e and your wife's commuting range is perfect for it. Plus unlike Tesla, you can still get the $7,500 federal tax credit making the 45e cheaper than the 40i. Definitely test drive one. It's got some great power
Thanks for the reminder about the tax credit, I keep forgetting it qualifies! That is a huge help.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #10
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

2019 X5 40i. 11,000 miles. No issues requiring dealer involvement. Great road trip vehicle. May buy it at lease end.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #11
cwiginton
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 45e

I have a 2019 40i and here are my thoughts in response to your questions:

1. How has reliability been? My reliability experience has been good. There were a couple of software gremlins early on, but the later versions of the OS seem to be much more stable.

2. Is the throttle tip in issue gone? I haven't noticed any issues Throttle seems quite responsive and smooth to me. My issue is more on coming to a smooth stop.

3. How's the V8 been? Can't comment on the V8 since I have the 40i, but I echo other thoughts regarding the 40i -- it's a great engine and all I need (I can't imagine how much trouble I would get into with the V8).

4. Which engine would you get? Would you consider the hybrid? See above. The hybrid wasn't available when I bought mine. If I were replacing mine, I would definitely consider the hybrid due to my daily driving habits, but I have not driven the hybrid.

5. How's the HVAC on these cars? I live in Alabama which is humid and hot in the summer, but maybe not to the extent of Houston. I have not had any issues with the HVAC not being powerful enough. Even with my Coffee interior.

6. Air suspension....? Don't have this on my G05. My wife has it on the G07 and I really like it. If I were getting the non-hybrid, I don't know that I would spring for it, but I wouldn't complain about it if it came standard like on the hybrid.

7. Active Cruise / Lane keeping / Traffic Jam? I really like active cruise and traffic jam assistant. It has gotten better (at least in my mind) with each software upgrade). Lane keeping is another story. I disabled everything about it except for the steering wheel vibration feedback.

Hope this all helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #12
Rixbimmer
Rixbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 M50i

Just bought a G06 M50i and enjoying the V8. Not sure I’d call it silky, but it feels like a beast after my 2018 540i. I’m in your area and haven’t gone through summer yet, but enjoying the jump from sedan to SUV. 2000 miles with no issues yet. Suggest you try a drive in the V8 version.
Appreciate 2
codex57214.00
Needsdecaf6513.00
      01-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The newest 40i has the mild hybrid 48v system that helps smooth out the startup from stop and helps when you first trounce on it. But, I'd try the 45e if I were you. Mine is too new to give any estimate of reliability...so far, nothing to report. If the traffic doesn't call for it, you can easily run the thing in EV mode, but the motor will come on if you punch it. Unless you have to be the first one across the intersection, the EV mode easily keeps up with traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #14
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
2019 X5 40i. 11,000 miles. No issues requiring dealer involvement. Great road trip vehicle. May buy it at lease end.
Glad to see that I am not the only one thinking about buying it after the lease end. I am very happy with my BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:34 AM   #15
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

The I6 turbo B58 engine is one of the most reliable engines on the market, not just in BMW's fleet.

The engine has millions of logged miles across various models and a Toyota Supra.

Its a very underrated engine with tons of power and gets a 5000lb truck move to 60 faster than some "performance" SUVs. A 5.2s run in a turbo 6 is pretty crazy for an SUV. Some outlets have recorded 4.7s but they have different standards and usually don't do a true standing 0-60.

As for BMW V8's, they're not known for their reliability I suppose. But the fact is, no modern engine is unreliable from KIA to Rolls Royce (except super cars which are engineered to walk a fine line between max performance and reliability). There was a recent article released by consumer reports and they noted that even though reliability differences exist in brands, they are so few and far in between that its truly negligible for a new car and many of these issues aren't even engine related. Can be electrical, HVAC, suspension, etc....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:36 AM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Two MY20 X5s (40i), M Sport

1. How has reliability been? Excellent, but considering the times, pretty low mileage. Have made one cross-country trip, outstanding performance all the way, no mechanical issues. I'd say the more significant issue with MY19/20 X5s was factory QC, ranging from awful to acceptable, but I believe more recently improved.

2. Is the throttle tip in issue gone? If you want throttle issues, buy an Audi . Most recently drove a MY18 Q7, where throttle lag was legendary and horrible. X5 is orders of magnitude different - the straight 6 is perfectly matched to the transmission IMO, and absolutely sharp off the line.

3. How's the V8 been? No V8 experience, but I've found the B58 a great engine and really don't need or miss anything more in an SUV. That said, I drove an M5 and R8 in Europe, so not unfamiliar with performance. I just don't have a need for it in a two and a half-ton, high profile truck. Others do. "Said I never had much use for one. Didn't say I didn't know how to use one."

4. Which engine would you get? Obviously the 6, but the M50i is no slouch, and a bargain for a V8. Plus it comes with additional features in MY21, which subject is much discussed here. My 40is both have soft-close doors, H/C cupholders, AWS, Night Vision, and numerous other goodies not available in the MY21 40i. I'd have to pause before purchasing a 40i again in 2021, considering the deletes.

5. How's the HVAC on these cars? HVAC is among the best (if not the best) I've owned, which includes Lexus and Audi, as well as previous BMWs.

6. Air suspension....? Air suspension is a must-have for me in a luxury truck. Great in this car, was great in the Q7. My previous F15 had DHP and felt like a Conestoga wagon by comparison. I don't relate to "floaty." I'm not taking the X5 on the Nurburgring, and it handles fine (even excellent) on normal roads in normal driving conditions at normal speeds. By that meaning US highways, including country roads and Interstates, sub-Alpine conditions, sub-100mph. Your driving preferences may vary.

7. Active Cruise / Lane keeping / Traffic Jam? The automated driving features are outstanding, comparing them to every other car I've owned. I keep all of them engaged all of the time. On the one road trip, TJA essentially drove the car with minimal or no input for two hours. Comfortably and flawlessly. ACC and LKA are essentially the equivalent or better than my Q7. Never having owned a Tesla, I can't provide a comparison.

My take. Opinions and experiences may differ.

Last edited by Paladin1; 01-15-2021 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 4
codex57214.00
Needsdecaf6513.00
kleo12.00
X5 45e1090.50
      01-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Two MY20 X5s (40i), M Sport

7. Active Cruise / Lane keeping / Traffic Jam? The automated driving features are outstanding, comparing them to every other car I've owned. I keep all of them engaged all of the time. On the one road trip, TJA essentially drove the car with minimal or no input for two hours. Comfortably and flawlessly. ACC and LKA are essentially the equivalent or better than my Q7. Never having owned a Tesla, I can't provide a comparison.

My take. Opinions and experiences may differ.
I definitely concur with number 7, I'd almost call it a must have depending on where you're driving and how much traffic you deal with. I attached a pic of everything engaged when making a trip back from the mountains. Would I trust all of the features with my life enough not to pay attention and baby sit it? No, but it sure takes a TON of stress out of the stop-and-go driving and has increased the flow of blood to my knuckles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6513.00
Paladin15528.50
      01-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #18
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Hello all, long time no post. I've been away from the brand for 7 plus years now, hard to believe.

My last BMW was a 2011 F10 535i. If you want to read a long saga about it, you can HERE. The TLDR version is that car had multiple issues and over 2 and a half years, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. The car that replaced it is the one that is now up for replacement; a 2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. We've had it since new, ordered it custom, and my wife has absolutely loved it. We've gone on 6 long (2500 miles plus) road trips with it but otherwise it just lives in and around Houston and SE Texas, and has about 93,500 miles on it at this point.

I just re-read that old thread about my F10 and damn, if you didn't know me, I'd sound like a complete wanker, lol. So much complaining about that car. But really, it was the car (maybe that one in general, or just the F10) that really wrankled me. In the intervening years, I've owned a GS 350, a GTi, two Tesla Model 3's (one totaled) and also two 911's as weekend cars. And I think for all those cars, all the issues in total would be fewer than the issues I encountered in the F10. The Cayenne has had issues, too, but the dealer dealt with them, mostly under warranty, and it still hasn't kept me from enjoying the hell out of the car. So it was the car, I swear, lol.

We still love the Cayenne, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and the tech is pretty old, not being a Porsche strong point to begin with. It's been through dieselgate and despite having a newer set of software on it, has never regained the snap that it initially came from the factory with. I've had two new Cayenne loaners from the dealer and to be honest, I'm not impressed. Parts quality is down, the infotainment is overly complex and not very usable, and it drives way more like a Mercedes than a Porsche (relative, I realize these are 4,500 lb SUV's).

I test drove a G05 40i when it first came out and I liked it, but we weren't really in the market then. My neighbor just got a Phytonic Blue / Coffee X40i MSport and it's really sharp. I've been lurking and checking out the threads here and was wondering if people could chime in on a few things:

1. How has reliability been? My F10 was a freaking nightmare. Not only were there a bunch of problems, half of them couldn't be solved after multiple trips?

2. Is the throttle tip in issue gone? The G05 that I drove seemed fine, but some of the older F-series cars that I've driven like the 6GC and other 5 series all had the same issue....very hard to pull away from a stop smoothly, and when you romped on the pedal, a huge delay in application of power (like 1-2 seconds). Not lag, command delay.

3. How's the V8 been? Last I checked in the F Series cars, these things ate injectors for breakfast and toasted batteries due to terrible charging schemes. I seem to recall reading BMW dealers were swapping batteries every oil change?!?! Has this been rectified? What's the real world MPG / range on these things?

4. Which engine would you get? Would you consider the hybrid? My wife's daily commute is only about 15 miles each way. I have a Tesla Model 3 as my daily, so we already have a 240V plug in the garage. I worry in these cars about the gas engine firing up and going full bore from cold, and the weight as well. But wouldn't mind the extra punch of the electric motor and the increased mileage of all electric driving for local trips.

5. How's the HVAC on these cars? Houston is HOT, and I seem to recall some early complaints of weak AC. Has that been solved?

6. Air suspension....I passed on this in my Cayenne as to not have to pay for expensive repairs. I somewhat regret it as the roads around here can be shockingly bad. But I also don't care for a floaty suspension either. How has people's experiences been?

7. Active Cruise / Lane keeping / Traffic Jam. One of the best parts of my Tesla is the Active Cruise / Auto Steer. It's a boon in traffic and I won't own another commuting / trip car without it. How's it work on the X5? I've heard the lane keeping / safety can be really, really annoying. But how's the traffic jam assist?

All I can think of for now. I promise I did search, digested what I read, and still had these questions, lol. Given how long my wife has enjoyed the Cayenne, and given that the kids aren't far out from college, I think this one will be with us a while so I don't want to jump into something I'm going to regret.

Thanks all.
Good luck with your car search. Here's my input with some background. I custom ordered a 2020 M50i and did a PDC pickup about this time last year. I have about 12k miles on it. It has been the best car I've ever owned. I raved about it so much, my co-worker just bought a 2021 M50i because of it. Here are my thoughts on your questions/concerns:

1) Can't speak on the overall reliability b/c, esp. on message boards you tend to only see the problems and not the overall picture. Mine has been rock solid with no issues yet (knock on wood).
2) No throttle tip issue that I can tell. The V8 comes off the line smooth and if you punch it, there's a small delay but once the turbo spools, you're off like a rocket.
3) the V8 is great. Just had my first oil change - no issue. No issue with oil consumption, batter drainage, etc after 12k miles.
4) Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the engine choices. I chose the V8 because I honestly feel these will be very rare in the coming years and thought it was my last chance to own one.
5) HVAC works great. I'm in Atlanta, so the summers are hot here too. I don't have any complaints. I came from a Mercedes ML before this - that AC would cool the car faster, but that's not to say the BWM doesn't work well.
6) Passed on air suspension so no comment here.
7) This is a must have feature for the X5. Works great. I tend to only use it on long drives and stop/go traffic. Helps keep mental fatigue down from the monotony of both.

All in all I'm very happy with my M50i. There's nothing I would really change about it. It's comfortable, sporty, looks great. Really the perfect car.
Appreciate 4
Stoshu494.00
Tenac4537.00
Needsdecaf6513.00
Paladin15528.50
      01-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #19
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
2020 X5 40i and so far so good. Have 9900 miles on her and taking in for its first oil change tomorrow. I am impressed as my wife works and travels for work and is brutal on cars! We previously had a 2014 Mazda CX-5 that fell apart ( ripped seats, broken plastic covers, rattles and squeaks,) just a total POS tin can. No comparison, but it was a fully loaded SUV that looked worn out after its first year of ownership. Since my 2011 328 still looked, and ran like new with over 180,000 miles at the time, it was a no brainer to stick with the brand. I keep looking at Z4’s and 340xi’s, but still love my 328. The 40i’s engine gets me in trouble every time I get a chance to drive it especially in sport mode! It’s fully loaded and we still haven’t used all the tech!
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6513.00
      01-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGimp View Post
I definitely concur with number 7, I'd almost call it a must have depending on where you're driving and how much traffic you deal with. I attached a pic of everything engaged when making a trip back from the mountains. Would I trust all of the features with my life enough not to pay attention and baby sit it? No, but it sure takes a TON of stress out of the stop-and-go driving and has increased the flow of blood to my knuckles.
I completely understand. It's the number one reason I bought my Model 3.

One funny thing about the picture you posted: my buddy lives in Denver and goes to Vail almost every weekend in the winter, and a lot in the summer too. He just upgraded his 3 year old S5 Cabrio even though it only had 10k miles on it specifically for ACC and lane keeping on this route. His wife's XC90 has it and he says it's a lifesaver.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 01-14-2021 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
NavyGimp
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 G05

Quote:
I completely understand. It's the number one reason I bought my Model 3.

One funny thing about the picture you posted: my buddy lives in Denver and goes to Vail almost every weekend in the winter, and a lot in the summer too. He just upgraded his 3 year old S5 Cabrio even though it only had 10k miles on it specifically for ACC and lane keeping on this route. His wife's XC90 has it and he says it's a lifesaver.
It's crazy how less stressful it makes it!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 03:56 PM   #22
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
uk man here apologies.
My f15 30d x5 is approaching 8 yrs this November £0 (touch wood) spent on non service items.
I still own it and bought a 30d g05 x5 solid so far not even a creak or rattle. The throttle is sharp no lag much improved than the F15 too.
Overall comfort performance reliability cost if you want a perfect blend of all those its the x5
ps I had a 335d f series riddled with problems and ultimately sold it in 2 years. X5 is a different beast ? spartanburg is king
Appreciate 0