01-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #45
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lual View Post
Did you need to go to the bmw dealer to set it up?
I tried to set it, but did not work and I got a message to go to a bmw dealer,
I did it on my own...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #46
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Can you not connect the Apple Watch digital key with your profile? I presume the watch just piggyback on the iPhone? Or does it need a digital key on its own?

I connected my physical key card with my profile and it recognizes me every time I open the door and start the X5. I am only using the key card now until I get a digital key compatible iPhone and Apple Watch.
You set up the phone and a BMW “card” goes in your Wallet App, then you go into the phone app and link the BMW card to the Watch’s Wallet. It is then linked to your profile.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #47
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
Quote:
Can you not connect the Apple Watch digital key with your profile? I presume the watch just piggyback on the iPhone? Or does it need a digital key on its own?

I connected my physical key card with my profile and it recognizes me every time I open the door and start the X5. I am only using the key card now until I get a digital key compatible iPhone and Apple Watch.
You set up the phone and a BMW "card" goes in your Wallet App, then you go into the phone app and link the BMW card to the Watch's Wallet. It is then linked to your profile.
This is my understanding as well. I am not sure why ChiefOne needs to select profile manually! Whether it is key card or digital key the car should recognize the profile automatically if it was paired/synced once.
Attached Images

01-13-2021, 08:03 PM   #48
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
You set up the phone and a BMW “card” goes in your Wallet App, then you go into the phone app and link the BMW card to the Watch’s Wallet. It is then linked to your profile.
Sorry, you need to “go into the Watch App on your phone”, like is shown above by SmartSaves!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #49
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40i

Quote:
This is my understanding as well. I am not sure why ChiefOne needs to select profile manually! Whether it is a key card or digital key the car should recognize the profile automatically if it was paired/synced once.
I will check again, but if recall correctly, when I use my iPhone as a key, it selects my profile correctly if I put the phone in the tray and leave it there. If I pick the phone after starting the vehicle, it switches to the Guest profile.

Similarly, when I use my Apple watch to start the vehicle, I am almost certain, it picks the Guest profile since there is nothing in the tray. I will check these functions again and will confirm.
      01-13-2021, 09:00 PM   #50
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
I'm officially down to carrying zero keys
Same here, loving the key free life. Looking forward to only use Apple Watch cellular version when I am am out and about for outdoor activities.
It's incredibly freeing! My wife doesn't seem to understand wanting a key-free lifestyle lol

Then again, she has purses to carry crap in and I have two pockets
      01-13-2021, 10:55 PM   #51
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOne View Post
Quote:
This is my understanding as well. I am not sure why ChiefOne needs to select profile manually! Whether it is a key card or digital key the car should recognize the profile automatically if it was paired/synced once.
I will check again, but if recall correctly, when I use my iPhone as a key, it selects my profile correctly if I put the phone in the tray and leave it there. If I pick the phone after starting the vehicle, it switches to the Guest profile.

Similarly, when I use my Apple watch to start the vehicle, I am almost certain, it picks the Guest profile since there is nothing in the tray. I will check these functions again and will confirm.
There might be a restriction on how many digital key can be linked to a profile. You can follow the steps on the attached picture below to enable driver recognition for Apple Watch. I can't test it because my Apple Watch and iPhone are not compatible. I believe here are the rules:

• Only one NFC key card can be active at a time (per vehicle I believe).
• You can't link two physical key fobs to one single profile.
• You can have multiple profiles. This is a workaround many use to circumvent the above restrictions.
• You should be able to link a physical key + a digital key (iPhone) + an NFC key card to the same profile. Your test will let us know if an Apple watch can also be linked to the same profile. If the watch cannot be added then just create another profile with your settings and link it to that profile (you'll have two profiles with identical settings).
• Please note, you can't change the profile with the memory buttons. It is done in iDrive. So the memory buttons don't control the profile.
• All preferences can be linked to a profile. So depending on the profile the car can look completely different. Different function for the 8 preference buttons. Different ambient light. Different Seat position and memory. Different setting for iDrive. HUD info and position too.
Attached Images

01-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #52
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagoffee View Post
I am fairly certain that you need at least an IPhone 12 for this work with an Apple device. It does not work with an IphoneX. (Or at least I cannot get it to work with my IPhone X.
iPhone X will not work. It works for iPhone XS and newer. (XS, XR, 11, 11 Pro/Max, SE, 12, 12 Pro/Max)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #53
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
iPhone X will not work. It works for iPhone XS and newer. (XS, XR, 11, 11 Pro/Max, SE, 12, 12 Pro/Max)
Correct, from the BMW site:
Quote:
The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or later, and Apple Watch Series 5 or later. BMW Digital Key will require iOS 13.6 and WatchOS 6.2. 8. or later. To see whether your vehicle is compatible, you can use the My BMW App.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There might be a restriction on how many digital key can be linked to a profile. You can follow the steps on the attached picture below to enable driver recognition for Apple Watch. I can't test it because my Apple Watch and iPhone are not compatible. I believe here are the rules:

• Only one NFC key card can be active at a time (per vehicle I believe).
• You can't link two physical key fobs to one single profile.
• You can have multiple profiles. This is a workaround many use to circumvent the above restrictions.
• You should be able to link a physical key + a digital key (iPhone) + an NFC key card to the same profile. Your test will let us know if an Apple watch can also be linked to the same profile. If the watch cannot be added then just create another profile with your settings and link it to that profile (you'll have two profiles with identical settings).
• Please note, you can't change the profile with the memory buttons. It is done in iDrive. So the memory buttons don't control the profile.
• All preferences can be linked to a profile. So depending on the profile the car can look completely different. Different function for the 8 preference buttons. Different ambient light. Different Seat position and memory. Different setting for iDrive. HUD info and position too.

This is what I encountered when I recently attempted to operate with an Apple watch.

No FOB or connected iPhone or Digital card in the pocket. Just the watch on me. I was able to unlock the door. My driver profile was auto-selected. I placed my watch wrist near the tray but the vehicle did not turn on. I then placed my wrist near the key marking on the side of the steering wheel. The vehicle did not start. I had started and driven my vehicle before just with the watch, not this time though. Will keep trying.

This is the article that I had initially followed to set up my watch -
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234#unlock
Attached Images

01-18-2021, 03:46 PM   #55
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
ChiefOne, is your Apple Watch cellular model with e-SIM or regular type? I think regular Apple Watch withOUT e-SIM should need the iPhone nearby for it to work.
      01-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #56
ChiefOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ChiefOne, is your Apple Watch cellular model with e-SIM or regular type? I think regular Apple Watch withOUT e-SIM should need the iPhone nearby for it to work.
No e-SIM, I had an e-SIM watch 4 for few years but that was not supported for this function, so I got Watch 6. I have used the new non e-SIM Watch 6 to operate the vehicle twice without any issues. Not sure what happened in my last attempt. Will try again one of these days and see if it works.
      01-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #57
Terry4Bimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

My x5 45e opens with my Watch or iPhone but to start car I need to (temporarily) put iPhone on charger. No info yet as to whether software updates will allow the proximity model previewed on the iX which would be similar to how our Tesla works.
Appreciate 0