10-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #23
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Bavsound does list the subwoofer Ghost upgrade for the x5 and x5 on their site. Detaching the glue isn't trivial. Just requires care and patience with a heat gun.
Where? I just checked again and I only see the speaker upgrades, when you get to addons it's just tools etc.

Original reference I made is to this post:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=11

"The Bowers and Wilkins subwoofers are unfortunately glued into the enclosures in a manner that makes removal without enclosure damage nearly impossible. Due to this we aren't offering subwoofers for an 2020 X5 audio system at the moment, and haven't done extensive testing."

However, there is a later post, which I cannot find, where they said yeah it works, but the risk of damaging the very expensive frame/housing is much higher than in a 3er, so for that reason it's not advertised on their site.
      10-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #24
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Where? I just checked again and I only see the speaker upgrades, when you get to addons it's just tools etc.

Original reference I made is to this post:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=11

"The Bowers and Wilkins subwoofers are unfortunately glued into the enclosures in a manner that makes removal without enclosure damage nearly impossible. Due to this we aren't offering subwoofers for an 2020 X5 audio system at the moment, and haven't done extensive testing."

However, there is a later post, which I cannot find, where they said yeah it works, but the risk of damaging the very expensive frame/housing is much higher than in a 3er, so for that reason it's not advertised on their site.
I screenshotted the page from my browser. I just noticed that Chrome isn't really working. I used Safari to access it.
Attached Images

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
Thanks so much for the photos. So, the harness will maintain all the current connections to existing speakers and provide me a new output to which I can connect a new sub?

Yes, correct, front speaker output

Is it possible to have the existing subs still run on the factory amp an still connect a new mono amp to power a new sub?

Yes, no problem

I noticed you have an LC2 as well - what are you using that for? Is it for line output to the sub or do you have new speakers running as well?

The factory amp output (I believe 40volts) is too powerful for most high level inputs on amplifiers. The LC2i can handle that power.
And I'm guessing you're using the LC2i to convert the power to the new speakers you installed? Or is it to the sub? Or both?

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #26
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
And I'm guessing you're using the LC2i to convert the power to the new speakers you installed? Or is it to the sub? Or both?
When you install the harness, it gives you the high level front speaker signal. While most amplifiers have an input for high level signal, that will not work in this case as the signal is too powerful.

So, you need to convert that signal to something you can feed into your amplifier. That is why I use the LC2i to generate a low level signal. For both my amplifiers, but that doesn't matter, even if you install only one amplifier, you still need it.

(Unless you find an amplifier which can take the powerful speaker signal from the HK amp, but if such an amplifier exists, I am unaware of it.)

P.s. I did not install new speakers, I am just powering the underseat subs from the second amp instead of the factory HK amp.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #27
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
When you install the harness, it gives you the high level front speaker signal. While most amplifiers have an input for high level signal, that will not work in this case as the signal is too powerful.

So, you need to convert that signal to something you can feed into your amplifier. That is why I use the LC2i to generate a low level signal. For both my amplifiers, but that doesn't matter, even if you install only one amplifier, you still need it.

(Unless you find an amplifier which can take the powerful speaker signal from the HK amp, but if such an amplifier exists, I am unaware of it.)

P.s. I did not install new speakers, I am just powering the underseat subs from the second amp instead of the factory HK amp.
I see! That makes sense so you have a total of 3 amps in the car. Factory HK, 1 mono for the trunk amp and another (mono or 2-channel) for the front subs? Is that correct?

For the front subs did you run new wire back or were you able to use the existing wiring after connecting the harness?

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:46 AM   #28
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I see! That makes sense so you have a total of 3 amps in the car. Factory HK, 1 mono for the trunk amp and another (mono or 2-channel) for the front subs? Is that correct?

For the front subs did you run new wire back or were you able to use the existing wiring after connecting the harness?
Yes, correct. I have the factory subs on a high pass filter from 90hz and the new sub nicely fills the frequencies under that.

The technic harness has a plug for the factory subs. If you leave it plugged in, they remain connected to the factory amp. If you unplug it, the harness includes an adapter so you can hook them up to a new amp. All very convenient.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:33 AM   #29
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Yes, correct. I have the factory subs on a high pass filter from 90hz and the new sub nicely fills the frequencies under that.
Do you know if the HK audio has a high-pass filter for the subwoofers or does it pass all frequencies "down to zero"?

We were replacing the speakers of a non-BMW car once and then discovered that the audio system had a high-pass filter which filtered out the lowest frequencies, so installing better speakers didn't improve the bass response at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:22 AM   #30
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Do you know if the HK audio has a high-pass filter for the subwoofers or does it pass all frequencies "down to zero"?

We were replacing the speakers of a non-BMW car once and then discovered that the audio system had a high-pass filter which filtered out the lowest frequencies, so installing better speakers didn't improve the bass response at all.
I'm not sure but this is exactly the reason why I am now driving the HK subwoofers from the front speakers signal, which is full range. That way I am sure there is no filtering.
I must say it did significantly improve mid-level bass response and crispyness.

However, I did read somewhere (no longer remember where) that the stock HK subwoofers were measured to have response down to 30Hz, so that would suggest no high-pass filtering.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #31
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I screenshotted the page from my browser. I just noticed that Chrome isn't really working. I used Safari to access it.
Put in a 2020 X5 and see what you get.. If I choose an X6, I see the subs and an amp. X5, just the speakers.
      10-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #32
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Put in a 2020 X5 and see what you get.. If I choose an X6, I see the subs and an amp. X5, just the speakers.
It's the same for both cars. You can use the x6 for it as well.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #33
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's the same for both cars. You can use the x6 for it as well.
I know; point is the site is incorrect and that originally they did not list it because of the concerns I mentioned previously.
      10-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #34
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I know; point is the site is incorrect and that originally they did not list it because of the concerns I mentioned previously.
Ahhh gotcha!

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #35
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure but this is exactly the reason why I am now driving the HK subwoofers from the front speakers signal, which is full range. That way I am sure there is no filtering.
I must say it did significantly improve mid-level bass response and crispyness.

However, I did read somewhere (no longer remember where) that the stock HK subwoofers were measured to have response down to 30Hz, so that would suggest no high-pass filtering.
Hey!

I've ordered the following items:

HK 688 Harness
LC2i
JL XD3001 Mono Amp
JL Audio 10TW3D4

I'll be attempting the install this weekend or as soon as the equipment comes in.

Just wanted to ask if you bolted down the amp in the trunk or have it stuck to the paint using 3M adhesive. Also, would you be able to show pictures of the second amp you've installed for the front seat subs and the wiring harness points going into the LC2i for those. It would really help me get an understanding of how to do it.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #36
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

I've ordered the following items:

HK 688 Harness
LC2i
JL XD3001 Mono Amp
JL Audio 10TW3D4

I'll be attempting the install this weekend or as soon as the equipment comes in.

Just wanted to ask if you bolted down the amp in the trunk or have it stuck to the paint using 3M adhesive. Also, would you be able to show pictures of the second amp you've installed for the front seat subs and the wiring harness points going into the LC2i for those. It would really help me get an understanding of how to do it.
nice setup!
I bolted the amp to some soft plywood to keep it from scratching anything and used zipties to secure the whole thing.to an available hole in the trunk, but 3M tape should also work if it's the thick kind.

the LC2I has two low level cinch outputs, one for bass with a lowpass at 1Khz and one for full range. I used the bass output for my subwoofer amp, and the full range for the second amp.Connecting it all to the harness will become clear when you see it, it's all well marked.
The harness has a 12V output which you can use to power the LC2I, grounds are available all over the trunk.

One last tip: Don't use the ignition wire in the harness as a remote for the LC2I and amp, it did not switch off at all for the 30+ minutes I watched it after turning off the car. I ended up using the LC2I signal sensing feature (GTO it is called) to genate the remote signal for the amps.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #37
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
nice setup!
I bolted the amp to some soft plywood to keep it from scratching anything and used zipties to secure the whole thing.to an available hole in the trunk, but 3M tape should also work if it's the thick kind.

the LC2I has two low level cinch outputs, one for bass with a lowpass at 1Khz and one for full range. I used the bass output for my subwoofer amp, and the full range for the second amp.Connecting it all to the harness will become clear when you see it, it's all well marked.
The harness has a 12V output which you can use to power the LC2I, grounds are available all over the trunk.

One last tip: Don't use the ignition wire in the harness as a remote for the LC2I and amp, it did not switch off at all for the 30+ minutes I watched it after turning off the car. I ended up using the LC2I signal sensing feature (GTO it is called) to genate the remote signal for the amps.
Hey!

I got the harness in today. I'm a bit confused about the wiring.

This will be the setup:
A new single mono amp for the new sub and will leave the factory under-seat subs to work from the factory amp.

I've put some copy onto the attached image in which I have also numbered the parts so it's easier for you to reference the part! Would be super helpful if you could shed some light in how I should move forward on this.

Last question: Say I did want to power the front two subs from a new 2 channel amp in the future. What would I need to change say a year from now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:07 AM   #38
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

This will be the setup:
A new single mono amp for the new sub and will leave the factory under-seat subs to work from the factory amp.

I've put some copy onto the attached image in which I have also numbered the parts so it's easier for you to reference the part! Would be super helpful if you could shed some light in how I should move forward on this.

Last question: Say I did want to power the front two subs from a new 2 channel amp in the future. What would I need to change say a year from now?

Number 2 and number 4 are the underseat subs, where number 4 comes from the factory amplifier and number 2 is the wiring to the speakers.

If you use the factory amplifier for the underseat subs, number 4 connects to number 2 and you don't use number 1 (store it safely as you might need it in the future)
If you use an aftermarket amp for the underseat subs, number 1 connects to the speaker output of your aftermarket amplifier and goes into number 2. You leave numer 4 disconnected in that case.

Number 3 has the high level speaker outputs that go into your LC2i, and you can use the 12v power from this one for the LC2i (and also the ground if you so choose).

The amplifier required thicker power and ground cables and should be connected directly to the battery with a properly fused cable, and one of the ground points you find all over the trunk area.

In this case, you can use either of the LC2i low level outputs to connect to your new subwoofer amp. The "main output" provides full range, while the "bass" one already has a low pass filter at 1Khz.

Don't use the "Ignition" cable from the LC2i to switch everything on and off, rather use the LC2i GPO feature which senses a signal in the high level speaker input, and provides a remote out to connect to the amplifier remote in.

If you add a second aftermarket amplifier later for the underseat subs:
  • Connect the LC2i "main output" to the aftermarket amp for the underseat subs
  • Connect the "bass" output the the amp for your new subwoofer
  • Connect both amp remote inputs to the LC2i remote out
  • Disconnect 4 from 2, Connect 1 to 2, and feed speaker signal from aftermarket amp for underseat subs into 1.
  • Set Low pass filters on both amps correctly

It also helps a lot if you use an aftermarket amp for the underseat subs that has the ability to combine low and high pass filter, so you can isolate a range.
For example:
  • Low pass filter on trunk sub at 90hz
  • Other amp 80 to 250hz
Depending on your preference of course.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      10-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #39
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey!

This will be the setup:

Number 2 and number 4 are the underseat subs, where number 4 comes from the factory amplifier and number 2 is the wiring to the speakers.

If you use the factory amplifier for the underseat subs, number 4 connects to number 2 and you don't use number 1 (store it safely as you might need it in the future)
If you use an aftermarket amp for the underseat subs, number 1 connects to the speaker output of your aftermarket amplifier and goes into number 2. You leave numer 4 disconnected in that case.

Number 3 has the high level speaker outputs that go into your LC2i, and you can use the 12v power from this one for the LC2i (and also the ground if you so choose).

The amplifier required thicker power and ground cables and should be connected directly to the battery with a properly fused cable, and one of the ground points you find all over the trunk area.

In this case, you can use either of the LC2i low level outputs to connect to your new subwoofer amp. The "main output" provides full range, while the "bass" one already has a low pass filter at 1Khz.

Don't use the "Ignition" cable from the LC2i to switch everything on and off, rather use the LC2i GPO feature which senses a signal in the high level speaker input, and provides a remote out to connect to the amplifier remote in.

• Disconnect 4 from 2, Connect 1 to 2, and feed speaker signal from aftermarket amp for underseat subs into 1.

It also helps a lot if you use an aftermarket amp for the underseat subs that has the ability to combine low and high pass filter, so you can isolate a range.
For example:
  • Other amp 80 to 250hz
Quote:
Quote:
Hey!

This will be the setup:

For example:
  • Other amp 80 to 250hz
Message me your email address so I can send you an e-beer or Amazon gift card as a token of my appreciation for your detailed help!

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #40
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Message me your email address so I can send you an e-beer or Amazon gift card as a token of my appreciation for your detailed help!
Thanks, but it's reqlly not necessary, my pleasure to help a fellow enthousiast!
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #41
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Interesting. So, I can order the woofer listed under X6 section for my X5 with HK and it will work?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #42
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but it's reqlly not necessary, my pleasure to help a fellow enthousiast!
I've been debating lately to add in a 2-channel amp for the underseat subs. I've been checking this out: Kenwood KAC-M1814

Link: https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/amplifiers/kac-m1814/

It's a Class D with 90 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms. It's small and might be the perfect fit for those. It's cheap at $150 as well. Hopefully, it doesn't overpower the subs. It's got a high and low pass filter as well. I'd bridge it to get 90 RMS then connect it. Should be fine?????

What do you think about this unit?

Also, last question. What's the advatnege of going with 2 separate amps (2 channel + mono) VS going with a 4channel (2+1bridged) and run the same rig? This is the amp: https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...=52&sku=XD4004

I guess I have one last question: What's the advantage of going with 2 separate amps VS going with something like this: https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...=52&sku=XD4004 - Which can be used for 2 fronts subs (70 RMS) and rear bridged (200RMS) and use that to power the 3 woofers?

Second option is to go for this unit which has less power but might be a better amp overall. And only run it on 2 channels 50 RMS non bridged. https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_575R220...-R2-200X2.html

The kenwood is $150 and the Rockford is $300

Last edited by Pumxee; 10-29-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #43
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hey just wanted to touch base regarding my last message. I have successfully installed the following gear:

Lc2i - LOC
JL XD300 - amp
JLtw3d4 - subwoofer

I need some help setting up the input sensitivity on the amp and the levels on the Lc2i. All youtube videos have confused me.

Also, wanted to know whether I should go for that Kenwood amp for the floor woofers so I can isolate high and low frequencies on it?

Appreciate 1
Sirksael102.50
      11-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #44
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

I was texting with a BavSound Rep today and he said if we can get 3 orders, we can save $150 on each set! That’s 18% off! Anyone else interested?
Appreciate 0