07-02-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

G05 X5 30D X-Drive First Oil Service

Hey guys,

My new G05 is booked in for its first oil service. Having owned BMs for over 20 years I know you can't always trust even the best dealerships, so in the past I've always checked the oil using the dipstick when I pick up the car. One time, it was abundantly clear the dealer hadn't changed the oil and therefore the filter. I went to town on them.

Problem: Service booked for next Tuesday. G05 30D doesn't have a dipstick. Is there a way to check the oil or that the work was done?

More generally, do you guys have faith in your dealership?

Last edited by Nigel1500; 07-02-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

At a BMW dealership, you'll most likely be fine. While the service itself will likely be accomplished by an ex-con or a high school dropout..... there should be at least 1 or 2 actual qualified mechanics on staff that should be watching him and checking his work.

If your car is still under warrantee... you'll leave without issue. If your warrantee has expired, expect an estimate of repairs that you had no idea you needed.

Downtown at Jiffy Lube / Quickie-oil (or whatever)..... you have about a 50% chance of actually getting the service you paid for. If they are busy, that chance goes down. If they "upsell" you on higher quality products or additional services??? I can almost guarantee you will be ripped off.

No matter what you pay for..... you will get the cheapest oil that money can buy. Unless you are physically "watching" them..... I'd say you have a 50/50 shot of them even bothering to change the filter at all. That chance is higher with older style filters that you can "see".... but with newer style filters that are inside a re-usable filter housing (like ours).... MUCH more often than you think, they won't change them at all.

At Walmart? Forget the service.....You'll be lucky if they don't break something on your car. Anyone dumb enough to bring their car to Walmart for service..... probably deserves what happens to them.

EDIT.... all my estimates, are assuming you are Male. If you are female, your chances of being cheated will double.

The best places to bring your car??? Are the 1 or 2-person, privately-owned, small mechanic shops (not chain places like quickie lube). They are qualified. They are experienced, and they depend on, and value their customers. 90% of the time, they will be honest and straight with you, and perform the work they are paid to do..... properly. They are also the most likely ones to be able to diagnose a problem that ISN'T identified by a check engine light (strange noises, nuances in driving, alignment issues, etc). At the BMW dealer (or any dealer)... if the computer won't tell them what's wrong... they have no idea how to diagnose or fix it.

That's why when there are instances like that.... you'll so often be given the car back with "could not duplicate"... or even worse, you'll end up posting a thread in this forum about how the dealer had your car for 2 months and couldn't diagnose a strange noise.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 07-04-2020 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Sydney, Australia mate!

No Walmart down here!

First warranty service. Car goes in tomorrow @ 8:45am. I'm going to ask how long and if I can watch them do the car ... ... ... ... ... ... >o<

BTW, I have an excellent BMW mechanic in Sydney for off-warranty repairs and doing my brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel1500 View Post
Sydney, Australia mate!

No Walmart down here!

First warranty service. Car goes in tomorrow @ 8:45am. I'm going to ask how long and if I can watch them do the car ... ... ... ... ... ... >o<

BTW, I have an excellent BMW mechanic in Sydney for off-warranty repairs and doing my brakes.
HAHA!!! I was posting on mobile, so I couldn't see your location

If you've found a good, trustworthy mechanic.... hang on to them. They exist... but they are hard to find.

Generally, they will not let you in the bay to watch for insurance reasons. But, Maybe Australia is different?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Hey guys,

I JUST KNEW SOMETHING WAS GOING TO GO WRONG !!!

Yup! So I arrive at 8:30am for 8:45am appointment only to discover my car has no service package. WTF !!! Who buys a new car with no service package? I am SURE I negotiated this with sales back in January. I've been buying cars for over 30 years and BMWs for over 20. I always get a service package!!!

So, service guy "J" goes and checks with someone. J comes back and confirms there's no service package. He offers to sell me one. No thanks. I ask how much the service will be (first oil change and visual inspection combined). J says it will be about AUD$700.

Alarm bells, clangers, clappers, klaxons and sirens are all going off in my head. I'm sure steam was coming out of my ears, my eyes were going bloodshot and my skin was turning green like the Hulk, but I managed to calmly decline, took my key and left.

Driving into the office I was wishing for some blood pressure pills ... but I've never had them. I could have done with a cigarette ... but I don't smoke. A bottle of Jack Walker would have been handy, but it was just after 8:30am ... I suppose it's 4:00pm somewhere though, right?

Drugs ... I need some drugs ... but I wouldn't know what to ask for or who to ask ...

This ... was ... going ... to ... be ... a ... bad ... day!

I called the sales rep who sold me the car. It was his day off so I got his voicemail. I left him a message and gave him a damn good bollocking !!!

It didn't help.

Then a thought popped into my head ... I'll call BMW Australia Head Office !!! That'll show 'em !!!

I had to muscle up all of my will power not to EXPLODE on the phone to the kind person, K, at BMW Australia after-sales support team as I explained what had happened. K informed me that the dealership was a franchise and I'd have to deal with them. K also said if I DO have servicing included, it will be listed on the Contract. K gave me the contact details for the Sales Manager, F, at my dealership. K apologised on behalf of BMW Australia, wished me a good day and happy motoring in my BMW.

Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh !!!!!!

For the next 10 minutes I abused every motorist who got in my way. I leaned on the horn, tailgated slow cars, and made gestures that made my BMW Gesture Control unit blush, shouted profanities that would have had the BMW Voice Recognition system delete itself if it could, before calmly walking into the office and quietly asking my secretary to fetch a copy of my X5 Contract of sale.

So, I get my Contract and there, listed under Aftermarket Accessories, it reads,
99 - 3 Years BSI or 60,000kms
hmmmm .....

Google = "BMW BSI"

Jackpot! BSI = BMW Service Inclusive

Click link to BMW ... read, read, read ... yup, uhuh, I remember discussing this with the sales rep ... yup, I remember selecting standard BSI, not BSI Plus.

I'm now dancing around the office like Steve Martin in a scene from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I show all of my staff that I'm right, they're wrong, I'm the king of the castle. One asks what I'm gonna do about it. Another reminds me that I've just burned 2 hours of my day for nothing ... ... ... I suddenly feel like firing someone ... Trump would! He'd fire 2 or 3 ...

I decided to call the Sales Manager, F, at the dealership. I told my secretary to get them on the line. But my secretary comes in and begs me to calm down first. She starts singing, "It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all ... ... ... "

She says, "Think of yummy cakes, puppy dogs, rainbows and unicorns."

I said, "In that order?

She replied, "Well, go for a walk, think of YOUR favourite things, and sing your favourite song. I'll come back in 10 minutes and we'll call F then."

So I started humming "Mr Natural" by Mental As Anything. I took a walk ... to the bathroom and had a good long piss in the can while I thought about MY favourite things: Money, BMWs (especially M5 Competition), hot chicks on the beach, ice-cold beer ... and seafood barbecues.

I felt much better!

Dammit ... my secretary was right ... again ... better not sack her ... yet!

Secretary gets BMW on the phone and I speak to Sales Manager, F. I've never met him. He sounds nice. Probably young. Sharp. Enthusiastic. I explain my situation, while waving my Contract around for the staff in my office to see ... like THAT'S gonna make a difference!

F seems very understanding. He get's my Contract up on his screen. F agrees with me. Servicing is included. He says he'll put it on the system now ... and he'll start it from today. I get 3 years scheduled servicing dated from today. I can't complain about that now, can I?! I'm starting to like F. F offers to reschedule for later this week and he'll lend me the car he's driving for the day. I suggest tomorrow morning. F says he'll check with the Service Department. We then have a nice chat about cars and stuff and how I'm buying a M5 Competition ... right after I win the Lottery !!!

Half an hour later J from the Service Department calls me. He also apologises for the mix up. We book the car for tomorrow morning. He says the loaner is ready and the service will take 90 minutes to 2 hours. I suggest waiting around if it's going to be that quick. I confirm it's the Oil Service, Visual Inspection, and Car Wash. J confirms and I said I'm looking forward to take-2 tomorrow.

Happy Days !!!

Lucky I didn't fire my secretary ... yet!

I'll let you guys know how the service goes tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Hi Guys,

Service went well today but ....

All done by 10:00am. Met the Sales Manager F. He confirmed the service package would commence as of yesterday. To me, that means I get 3 years and 60,000kms from yesterday ....

But ... when I got into the office today and went through the paperwork, I realised Service Rep J has set the package from the start date of the warranty and 0kms .... now, I bought the car as a demonstrator with a few thousand on the clock. I don't think that's fair ... so I'll be calling F again to discuss.

Keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:23 AM   #7
frbq
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 xDrive40i

No faith.

Tell then about problems with the car in a software update in October, came with the "could not duplicate". Got the car to its 1st annual service that should be in April, but Coronavirus delay it to June. I'm a daily user until pandemia but with short trips, and sadly with just less than 2000km at the first service the G05 xDrive40i is giving me some problems, I belive factory issues, because they start not to so long after buying the car, but where so uncommon issues and occasionals, that it took me some time to be figure that something was really bad. At the beginning the front lights stay permanently on even with engine off, auto for the lights, 10s timer and car shutting off for convenience when door open, and even with that sometimes they stay on until I power off then manually or by restarting the car and shooting off it again, also voice recognition not activating even with the steering wheel button, and some others problems without mentioning some quality issues I found, but the worst is an Engine Power Shortage that the car suffer suffers at +/- 15-17km/h at small curves "in a building parking" for example and some other places, that's what get me more worried of all the problems.

The car comes with integrated steering, m sport brakes and the m sport differential and air suspension of the off road package, all that for better maneuverability, and have to say that at lower or higher speed on the same terrain is doing well in that specific case I belive.

Of course "could not duplicate" response come as an answer from the dealer service so I'm getting videos with the cell phone to then, something that is a little hard about the driving stuff and easier with the other fails, with the exception for example of the time that the A/C get hot without any reason and at 20° setting, but i really have not any high hope from then; I think that this is the kind of problem that normally defeat them.

Does anyone have and idea of what could be happening?, Any help would be great. Also don't know if I should open a new threat.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #8
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Final update,

So I called the Sales Manager F back and complained the BSI was set to start at 0km when my car was delivered with several thousand kms on the clock as a demo.

Long story short, it took a couple of days to sort out but eventually F emailed me a screenshot of my upgraded BSI to 5 years, 80,000km at no extra cost.

Big "Thankyou" to F.

Let's hope it's plain sailing from here. I've been buying BMs from this dealer for almost 20 years.

All-in-all, I'm happy with the BMW Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:19 AM   #9
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Mines due first service in next month and they are telling me its the oil service with the micro filters. I find it hard to believe that the micro filters need changing every service . £420 .
In the uk BMW scrapped the service inclusive last year, so no benefit.
Is it correct then that micro filters are due at 16000 miles???
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #10
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Hello Pro55,

The price you've been quoted is similar to that mentioned in my 3rd post above.

Yes, I was also told the micro filter gets replaced every service. I'll be doing this while the car is on BSI but after that, I'll be cleaning it myself and getting it replaced every 2nd or 3rd service.

The micro filter cleans the air going through the a/c system. It has several layers of filter fabric and a layer of charcoal to remove odours. I usually have the air re circulation mode activated because I can still smell fumes from trucks, or in tunnels, or from some older model cars. This tells me the filters aren't that effective at removing odours ... it also tells me CO2 is coming into the car .... ergo, the re circulation mode is active for urban and suburban areas.

Cleaning the filters is pretty straight forward.

Here's a link to a step by step guide to changing your own filters.

I suggest you remove the filters, vacuum the intake side only with low pressure vacuum, and reinstall. If you think the charcoal is worthwhile but ineffective then replace the filters.

This is my first X5, but I've owned a 330d and a 530d. I did my own filters in both cars.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:08 AM   #11
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Nigel 1500
Many thanks. I put it on its own thread as I wasn’t sure id get a reply on this one. Now I know its needed every service. Still cant believe the extra just for a 10 minute job. Will do my own once as you say after BSI.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep

Hi Pro55,

I wouldn't agree that it is "needed" every service. Many brands of car don't have them at all. Thus, after BSI ends I'll be doing mine every 2nd service.
Appreciate 0