BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2020, 04:43 AM   #1
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

BMW Digital Key 1.5 (Apple CarKey) - the FACTS

I've seen a lot of speculation and misinformation on BMW Digital Key (DK) 1.5. Hopefully, this post will help clear some of the mist.

Digital Key
DK is the technology used on the device. There are 2 versions:
1.0 - current version supported on Android devices and NFC card
1.5 - new version which supports the NFC card AND Apple Products ONLY

DK 1.5 can only be enabled on supported iOS devices with version 13.6 and later. The latest BMW Connected Drive app is required. The CD account and associated car MUST be enabled for DK1.5 in the cloud service. This is done automatically at the back-end, not by dealers, presumably based on the cars VO build version.

If DK1.5 is enabled for a CD account, then the DK option will appear in the app.

Smart Access
The car itself has what's called Smart Access (SA). Again, two versions - 1.0 and 1.5, which align protocol-wise with the DK.

SA 1.0 is enabled on all applicable models equipped with Comfort Access, except where Smart Access 1.5 is used.

SA 1.5 is enabled on all applicable models equipped with Comfort Access AND i-step 07/2020.25 and later AND the Vehicle Order (VO) build version in FA is July 2020 or later.

If SA 1.0 is enabled on the car, then the idrive settings will display a menu called 'Activate Key'
If SA 1.5 is enabled on the car, then the idrive settings will display a menu called 'Activate Main Key'. See attached pics of the menu

To use the new BMW Digital Key Service you need BOTH SA 1.5 AND DK 1.5

So, what does this mean for owners with DK supported cars with a build version earlier than 07/2020? Will BMW retrofit?
Not currently! As mentioned above, Android devices do not support Smart Access 1.5. If BMW were to retrofit this to existing models then it would break all Android devices DK support.

What can BMW do to address this issue?
1. Just roll it out, break the Android service and refund the customers
2. Wait until all the Android subs expire and then roll it out
3. Google update the Android Car Key support to include the new DK 1.5 format/standard
4. Address each customer on an adhoc basis - nightmare as it would require different coding for each car. Apple need SA 1.5, Android users 1.0.
5. Leave as is. No retrofit. New customers get DK/SA 1.5 and support is for Apple Products only.

Happy to refine this position as new information becomes available but the current message being delivered by BMW dealers is often plain wrong! A video has been referenced on these forums that was completely wrong, and has since been removed.

I'm not claiming to have all the answers, but hopefully this post will have clarified a few points.

Note: its probable that X series owners will not get the new service unless they have a 08/2020 production vehicle. Others 'should' get it if they have a 07/2020 vehicle.
Attached Images

Last edited by ifr; 07-24-2020 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 26
Helius16.50
BBDDVV10.50
sward629.50
volodp193.50
iknowdjz108.50
thereef5101163.00
pho116.00
TSMC55125.00
marcosg24.50
Cooltones241.00
OzJedi107.00
edtreo88.50
lumpydog690.50
GrussGott18113.00
SaNGRia980.00
antah16.50
kkpat44.00
      07-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I would also add that you also need a compatible apple device, as I mentioned in the other iphone Key thread. Here is the official documentation:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211234#what-you-need
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

all this, for a feature none of will ever use. In its present implementation, it's no different than the stupid smart card key thing.
Appreciate 1
CGG156.50
      07-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
all this, for a feature none of will ever use. In its present implementation, it's no different than the stupid smart card key thing.
Nobody will use it? Hmmm.

Even if it's the same, it means you can use your iPhone and/or Watch, rather than a smartcard.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Nobody will use it? Hmmm.

Even if it's the same, it means you can use your iPhone and/or Watch, rather than a smartcard.
yeah... it would have been cool if you could just have your phone in your pocket and you walk up to your car and it unlocks. Instead you have to pull it out or use faceid/touchid/apple watch password and tap it on the handle to work. Then you gotta put it on the tray to crank the engine. it's cumbersome, and doing a whole lot of extra work. hell using the digital key is easier than using the phone. I understand this is more a limitation on apple's end than BMW's but still I was excited about this feature, but now I'm just like meh too much work.

you're right, its an extra method to negotiate your vehicle. but honestly nobody here is gonna use this regularly for the amount of outrage over which MY2020 builds will get or not get this feature.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Sharing a car key via iMessage is pretty great tbh and I can see myself using this. Hell, if it works well enough with the apple watch this might just actually replace the keyfob for me. My X5 is scheduled for production first week of August and I certainly hope it’s enabled for mine. If not, it’s not the end of the world.
In any case, it’s certainly more useful than a lot of other expensive options most of us (including me) order just because of the cool factor. Crystal shifter, sky lounge roof, ...
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
havenyoung
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Thank you for the clarification!

One other thing to mention:

It is no longer possible to renew or purchase Digital Key 1.0 subscription through ConnectedDrive store.
So it does seem that BMW might be taking the option 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree its not a great implementation. Barely a substitute for a key fob never mind a replacement, but early days.

With the key fob I never even think about locking/unlocking the doors. Keep it in the pocket or wherever, walk up get in, get out, walk away, done.

The exception might be the AW5 which has promise, but I'm not clear if it can only be used to open the door and cannot be used to start the car.

There is already coding for smart access 2.0, but not active. Let's hope that allows the extended range for communication.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      07-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

I'll be curious to see if BMW continues to support the 2019/20 Android Samsung owners using DK 1.0.

I understand all the Apple users enthusiasm to begin to use your phone as key because it's very convenient and reliable once activated.

No surprise to anyone here BMW's implementation, dealer education and renewal process was bit of a nightmare for some (all for a $20 subscription key renewal for year two). Switching between devices was sometimes a challenge too, hopefully DK1.5 solves some of the technical challenges and BMW knows how to manage the process.

Now we just need the newer Android phones adopt the same standards so coverage is universal for all!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Dumb question, but is there a hardware difference between DK 1.0 or is it just software/firmware that is updated? The answer will not change anything, as I don't plan on using a digital key on any type of device, but it will satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Dumb question, but is there a hardware difference between DK 1.0 or is it just software/firmware that is updated? The answer will not change anything, as I don't plan on using a digital key on any type of device, but it will satisfy my curiosity. Thanks!
Just software, at the car level at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #12
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Interesting. So I would imagine that BamW could just enable it at the back-end for older cars, and probably will once they figure out how much to charge for the process...

Or maybe they’ll be like most car manufacturers and just ask us to buy a new vehicle to get the features that were not originally sold with the car. It always strikes me as odd that car manufacturers aren’t really understanding the power of using their cars as software platforms.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Interesting. So I would imagine that BamW could just enable it at the back-end for older cars, and probably will once they figure out how much to charge for the process...

Or maybe they’ll be like most car manufacturers and just ask us to buy a new vehicle to get the features that were not originally sold with the car. It always strikes me as odd that car manufacturers aren’t really understanding the power of using their cars as software platforms.
This is so spot on. Well they are slowly, albeit really slowly, wising up to this. Their car is essentially a vehicle, pun intended, for subscription services. The legacy revenue was, sell car, money received, done. Now, sell car, money received, lifetime of car keep getting paid for subscriptions.

BMW really needs to make their lives easier, have a steady stream of services and paid features for their cars and make them available to all. The current method of ad hoc configured builds where in a half year some cars have the feature and others don't is just a logistical nightmare.

Keep it simple stupid is really a mantra they should implement. Manufacturer happy, customer happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Now THIS is the most accurate, truthful status of Digital Key that I have read, thank you!

There is so much misinformation that it's going to be very hard for new and existing owners to keep their head straight with all of this.

The challenge will be whether BMW will allow this for existing customers and which of the above options that they'll take. To be honest, I'm surprised they don't just offer a choice between 1.0 and 1.5 in the CD store and let us pick based on the devices we have. They'll make a pretty penny in the process.

I think it might have to do with Apple and their disagreement for BMW to charge customers to use Apple services (which they want to keep free) They flipped out over CarPlay subscriptions and was the real reason behind BMW backflipping on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #15
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

BMW *might* be able to increase market share by adding future value to their vehicles by enabling things like digital key 1.5 to vehicles that can support that, even if there is a reasonable fee. Perhaps they can take some market share form MB and others on both new cars and used cars if they can roll out some features and not break other things in the process.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #16
R10
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

I just got a reply from BMW USA about the availability of Apple CarKey on the X6 :
Attached Images

Last edited by R10; 08-18-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:31 PM   #17
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I have a working digital key for my M50i using a Galaxy S10+
I like the feature & hate to lose it. My question is I don't understand one thing:

Dk 1.0 current implementation supports Android
Dk 1.5 will support only Apple.

Practically every technology I ever heard of has backward comparability. It makes no sense that the new version only supports Apple. Heads should roll over this screw-up.....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:19 PM   #18
Mmilani
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

My digital key in android just expired. Is there a way to code this back in?
Something with esys?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #19
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

No offense to anybody but I think this feature makes absolutely no sense. If you already have comfort access then all you need is to have your keyfob in your pocket. Otherwise you have to take out your phone every freaking time, unlock it, place it next to the handle. Sounds more cumbersome.

Moreover, what are you going to do if you drain the battery on your phone and don't have a charger/power bank. You're pretty screwed aren't ya?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:07 AM   #20
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
Moreover, what are you going to do if you drain the battery on your phone and don't have a charger/power bank. You're pretty screwed aren't ya?
NFC does not require your phone to be on (or even charged for that matter) to function.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:10 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheManBG View Post
No offense to anybody but I think this feature makes absolutely no sense. If you already have comfort access then all you need is to have your keyfob in your pocket. Otherwise you have to take out your phone every freaking time, unlock it, place it next to the handle. Sounds more cumbersome.

I felt the same but there is a scenario where it's really useful. With Apple Watch able to open and start the car it means you can ditch the key in scenarios where it's unsafe to leave the keys around such as when surfing, diving, swimming, etc. Same for the NFC card which is waterproof.

Really useful in that specific scenario.

It won't be a game changer until the device can be kept in your pocket like a keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:52 AM   #22
StanTheManBG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4, X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I felt the same but there is a scenario where it's really useful. With Apple Watch able to open and start the car it means you can ditch the key in scenarios where it's unsafe to leave the keys around such as when surfing, diving, swimming, etc. Same for the NFC card which is waterproof.

Really useful in that specific scenario.

It won't be a game changer until the device can be kept in your pocket like a keyfob.
That makes sense, never thought about it that way. But yeah, as you say; usefulness would depend on situation. I personally can't imagine myself ditching the key at home
Appreciate 0