01-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #23
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Owners with Android might want to consider this workaround Jay shared. I use this method and it works great.

01-14-2021, 02:59 AM   #24
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I don't get all these workarounds. What use-case do they satisfy?

If you are going anywhere you can take a phone with you, then you can also stick a keyfob in your pocket too, and open the door without doing anything else, and no faff starting the car either? Keep your key and phone in pocket, then drive!

The keyfob trumps the phone in all scenarios I can think of. The watch is a different matter. If you are visiting a lake or gym with covid restrictions, then lockers might not be available. Keeping your key with you at all times on your wrist, even in scenarios where a phone is nor practical such as swimming/surfing, then the watch will work. Even then starting the car will be a big hassle with the watch, and in that scenario the standard waterproof keycard works best.

In summary, IMO, at this stage, the DigitalKey isn't much practical use. Keyfob or NFC keycard works best. I guess it would be handy to have the key on phone/watch as a backup, but am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #25
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Good question. Here are my two use cases:

1. I have incompatible iPhone and Apple Watch; I cannot use the digital key feature yet. I also don't want to carry around key fob (personal preference, minimalist, keyless life), therefore keeping it at the back of a wallet style phone case works for me.

2. (Indirect use case) NFC signal is very short range. Copying that signal by using booster for the purpose of relay attack is less likely.

My ultimate wish is to use only Cellular Apple Watch for outdoor trips (no key fobs, no phone). Don't know if the current sensor will work with Ultra Wide Band. Currently, it's not very convenient to bring the watch near the wireless charger (NFC receiver), doable though.
Attached Images

01-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
My ultimate wish is to use only Cellular Apple Watch for outdoor trips (no key fobs, no phone). Don't know if the current sensor will work with Ultra Wide Band. Currently, it's not very convenient to bring the watch near the wireless charger (NFC receiver), doable though.
I'm with you on this one.

Wouldn't need to be cellular though, and would need to work with the watch/phone without power but still secure.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #27
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I also got very excited when this feature was introduced and thought it would be made available to our 02/2020 build. but the current implementation is still more unwieldy than just the key fob itself. Hopefully soon they can bring all of the proximity functionality of the key fob to the phone
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:30 PM   #28
RMAS99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 50d

Maybe this is the future https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsu...-android-auto/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #29
RMAS99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 50d

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsu...d-genesis-car/
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      01-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #30
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAS99 View Post
May be, but security is not their strength. Let's see how far they could go with Tizen. Piggy backing on Android Auto and asking car manufacturer to adopt it will be a bandaid solution IMO.
      01-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #31
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Re-reading IFR's post on Digital key 1.5 and Smart Access 1.5

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1742346

It would seem even with the new Samsung S21+ or S21 Ultra now having Ultra Wide Band (UWB) capabilities; my 11/2019 build stills lacks the hardware updates BMW introduced in production vehicles built after late July 2020 that supports the new digital key protocol.

Well at least I'll have a new phone and an older X5 with a lot more features than I could buy in X5 4.0i today; hopeful the options removed in 2021 builds will be back by trade in time.

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 01-14-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #32
Talkstr8t
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S, Audi Q5

Workaround disrupt wireless charging?

Regarding the "digital key in the phone case" workaround, might that disrupt wireless charging? It doesn't feel like the card is metal, so probably not.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #33
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post
Regarding the "digital key in the phone case" workaround, might that disrupt wireless charging? It doesn't feel like the card is metal, so probably not.
My iPhone X with a case (plastic + leather) and the digital key card still charge. Here are the layers:

1. iPhone
2. plastic case to hold the phone
3. lather cover attached to the case above
4. Digital card slides into a pouch pocket
5. lather cover to hold the card above
6. wireless charger surface

I noticed it gets warm sometimes when the battery charge is low and it needs charge from low percentage.
      07-12-2021, 05:19 PM   #34
lth0ms0n
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Bumping an old thread here...

I've jumped on this, as my parents just bought a 2020 Z4 which has the Digital Key Classic listed in the registered services of the BMW Connect App.

I've been on the phone to BMW UK and was told that there was some form of update available which would allow this to work with their iPhones. I was then told that they needed to get this authorised by the dealer (who didn't do it as part of the handover) and a security code - the dealer was clueless about this.

I was also told that the car had version 1.0 of the Digital Key but some form of software upgrade to version 1.5 was available, once a security code had been allocated...

I'm losing the plot with it - I've getting conflicting messages from everyone at BMW I speak to. I nearly had it confirmed by someone else at BMW UK today, that the car did indeed have all the correct software on it which is required for this, but I was cut off. The guy I spoke to straight after this informed me that this had been pulled, the car was manufactured too early for it and it would never support it.

After being mis-informed by what appears to be every single person I've spoken to at BMW UK (and an also very clueless salesman at the dealer where they bought the car) I'm at a total loss for what support is offered for their car (which is only a few months short of iPhone support for this, frustratingly).

Can anyone confirm if this has actually had a software update (citing ifr here) since last year? Because I was within half-an-inch of finding out that the car did indeed have all the correct equipment and software onboard, before I was cut off...

Annoyingly, I couldn't even file a complaint about getting such chaotic information from the BMW ConnectedServices support desk because I'm not the registered keeper of the car - one person didn't seem to care, the next person (in their escalation department) did.

This is a nightmare!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #35
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Bumping old thread.

But wondering what is different to this "new" announced feature :
https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s....php?t=1879953

What is difference with the feature that they removed and worked with my samsung s10.
Why only for samsung S21 or google pixle and im some countries.

Anybody with an android phone already has the new version working on a X5 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #36
lake_eleven
Laker
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
Bumping old thread.

What is difference with the feature that they removed and worked with my samsung s10.

Had this configured on my S21 last week with no issues.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18164.00
bhe104.50
      12-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #37
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Bumping old thread.

Covered somewhere on another thread, won't work on my S20.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 12:19 AM   #38
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Bumping old thread.

The newer digital key uses UWB which the S10 doesn't support. You need an S21+ or S21 Ultra Samsung or Google Pixel 6 I think.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #39
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Quote:
Bumping old thread.

The newer digital key uses UWB which the S10 doesn't support. You need an S21+ or S21 Ultra Samsung or Google Pixel 6 I think.

Rob
I think this is still nfc based. i read in the news item that you have to hold the phone next to the door handle and put it in the wireless charger.
with the ultra wide band you can keep the phone in the pocket...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #40
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
I think this is still nfc based. i read in the news item that you have to hold the phone next to the door handle and put it in the wireless charger.
It can be used without the wireless charger
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 04:25 PM   #41
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Quote:
It can be used without the wireless charger
did you read the article I linked, copy paste.. : With the BMW Digital Key, customers can easily unlock and lock their BMW simply by holding their smartphone next to the handle of the driver's door. The engine can also be started when the mobile phone is placed in the BMW wireless charging compartment.

I used it before it came to iPhone, you had to put the phone in the tray to start. then you could remove it
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #42
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
did you read the article I linked, copy paste.. : With the BMW Digital Key, customers can easily unlock and lock their BMW simply by holding their smartphone next to the handle of the driver's door. The engine can also be started when the mobile phone is placed in the BMW wireless charging compartment.

I used it before it came to iPhone, you had to put the phone in the tray to start. then you could remove it
The handbook says to dock the phone with the thermal cup holder Not the wireless charging compartment, it also uses nfc not ultra wide band.
The point I was making is that you do not need to have wireless charging for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 03:01 AM   #43
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
The handbook says to dock the phone with the thermal cup holder Not the wireless charging compartment, it also uses nfc not ultra wide band.
The point I was making is that you do not need to have wireless charging for it to work.
Ah, I have the wireless tray , so my manual says to dock it there. doens't matter.. you have to dock it nere the nfc reader with or without charging.

Did some research the reason it is working with some select phone models, is a new feature in android 12 to store the key I think
There should be an android 12 beta for S10 soon, Il'try it when it is out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #44
Antonik
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_eleven View Post
Had this configured on my S21 last week with no issues.
hi i have an e45 from january 2020, will it work? or does it have to be after July 2020?
Appreciate 0