BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-25-2020, 02:43 AM   #45
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
The actual head unit not the ac control unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #46
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by speuk View Post
The actual head unit not the ac control unit.
Wow, you have to strip the entire dash and central console to get to that unit.

I would not let them do that on a brand new car. I would request a replacement given to me. There is no way everything goes back together rattle free.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:16 PM   #47
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

Yea f that.

I hear it not not as loud after they switched hvac. Let me
Know what happens with u on the 12th vanguard

How can a fan make such a werid noise... vanguard just like ur video i can hear it very loud from the HVAC TEMP DISPLAY AREA... when i put my ear....

Last edited by livinlife; 12-27-2020 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #48
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Has anyone put the hood up and heard it coming from the driver's side? I mentioned it before, there's also a computer under the hood and I can hear it there, as well.

I have a background in electronics and will say it's most likely not a supplier defect, it's more likely component selection or circuit design, meaning it's an engineering/design problem.
What's more than likely happening is there's a component or components that are "ringing" (actually a technical term). Like all things there are tolerances of/for these components so if you get component A and component B on the high side of their tolerance window you can end up with it being a bit worse in one car and a bit better in another. For example an inductor, the most likely component to "ring", may have a nominal value of 200uH but have a 10% tolerance meaning it could be 220uH and still in spec. There could be a nearby capacitor with a tolerance in the opposite direction, combine those tolerances with an "optimal" length of the trace on the circuit board and boom, there's your oscillation or ringing. It could also be an audible harmonic of a processor's clock that is leaking and then being picked up elsewhere on the board. That would be a board layout or shielding issue.

The idea that a M50i or X6 will be better is misguided. These cars use the same platform, assembly line, and will inherently have a high degree of component sharing, especially things like the electronics. You could end up with one that may have favorable tolerances and not have a noticeable noise but it would be luck or coincidence.

Having sensitive hearing is a blessing and a curse. Things like this are absolutely maddening.
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      12-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #49
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

So originally wrote about my case here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=94

Basically i have the noise in a 2021 X5 with the small AC screen. I took the car to the dealership and they think that the noise is coming from a fan attacued to a computer/MCU inside the dash, and it is the noise is within "normal specification", in other words, this noise is completely normal.

Then i talked to BMW Canada's customer service, after calling and then emailing them multiple times, they conclustion is:
After talking to the deear ship and hearing about their disgnosis result(above), they believe there is nothing to be done, because everything is normal.

They would not even try to switch the AC vents or what not...the case is just simply closed.

This is very disappointing...
I switched from MB and this is my first BMW...and it sucks.
Probably not going to buy a BMW ever again.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #50
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
So originally wrote about my case here:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=94

Basically i have the noise in a 2021 X5 with the small AC screen. I took the car to the dealership and they think that the noise is coming from a fan attacued to a computer/MCU inside the dash, and it is the noise is within "normal specification", in other words, this noise is completely normal.

Then i talked to BMW Canada's customer service, after calling and then emailing them multiple times, they conclustion is:
After talking to the deear ship and hearing about their disgnosis result(above), they believe there is nothing to be done, because everything is normal.

They would not even try to switch the AC vents or what not...the case is just simply closed.

This is very disappointing...
I switched from MB and this is my first BMW...and it sucks.
Probably not going to buy a BMW ever again.
You need to keep talking to people higher up. This noise is unacceptable. Do you have a lemon law in canada?

As long as the problem affects YOU, regardless of what BMW says, it must be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #51
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Here is a link to what is called Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This is in the US and is a law that was passed by Congress many years ago. Essentially it dictates that any warranty issue must be corrected. No exceptions. I don't know if they have anything like this in Canada but it would be worth the research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #52
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
Here is a link to what is called Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. This is in the US and is a law that was passed by Congress many years ago. Essentially it dictates that any warranty issue must be corrected. No exceptions. I don't know if they have anything like this in Canada but it would be worth the research. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Thank you sir for this reply.

There is something similar in Canada, i found this on Canadian government's website:
https://ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca02998.html
which says that we can make use of CAMVAP
CAMVAP
It is an arbitration plan so solve lemon car problems between consumers and manufacturers directly.

HOWEVER, when i tried to start an application, i found that BMW is NOT one of the participant manufacturer.....
So nothing can be done here either....
Mercedes and a bunch of other car brands are participating. I guess BMW just does not give a damn.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #53
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
You need to keep talking to people higher up. This noise is unacceptable. Do you have a lemon law in canada?

As long as the problem affects YOU, regardless of what BMW says, it must be fixed.
Please see my above reply to Floridaman100.

But yea...i agree.. it sucks. I don't know what else i could do.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:45 AM   #54
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
Please see my above reply to Floridaman100.

But yea...i agree.. it sucks. I don't know what else i could do.
sell the car at a small loss. It didn't lose much value, contrary to the popular saying that goes "once you drive a new car off the lot it loses 30% of its value."

The reality is, you'll probably take a 3-5K tops hit.

I will be selling mine if the dealer can't fix the problem or wont buy it back from me or if the lemon law doesn't go through.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #55
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow this shit is gettinf crazy..... i mean i hear it if i really focus..... im losing it man.... the noise is specially heard when ear is bu the display...

Noone has soultion and noone says its abnormal..... anyone else have take on it
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #56
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife View Post
Wow this shit is gettinf crazy..... i mean i hear it if i really focus..... im losing it man.... the noise is specially heard when ear is bu the display...

Noone has soultion and noone says its abnormal..... anyone else have take on it
I don't hear anything in my driving position on my MY21 week 46 build. I presume you are also having bass cutting off issues, for which we saw a German SIB emerged, could these be somehow related?
      12-31-2020, 01:43 AM   #57
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
I don't hear anything in my driving position on my MY21 week 46 build. I presume you are also having bass cutting off issues, for which we saw a German SIB emerged, could these be somehow related?
Where do I see the build date?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #58
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Where do I see the build date?
Decode your VIN here, you'll see the production date.

https://bimmer.vin/
      12-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #59
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Oh nice. Looks like I was late October of this year. I don't have any bass issue, but the high pitched noise is very prominent and its coming right from the HVAC lcd screen...or something behind it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 10:46 PM   #60
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:

Oh nice. Looks like I was late October of this year. I don't have any bass issue, but the high pitched noise is very prominent and its coming right from the HVAC lcd screen...or something behind it.
BMW CA did the same thing to me when I reported the whistle noise issue and shown to 3 different dealers and everyone was saying it's just a wind noise. Unfortunately we don't have lemon law and bmw not part of camvap either.

So I placed 3 go pro /mic and took the foreman for a ride and switch the dealer car and proved to them it's not a wind noise ( These stealers knew very well it's not a wind noise but they don't want to accept it until I documented/video proof )and then they fixed it finally.

It's really shame on BMW Canada

Last edited by Usher9387; 01-01-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #61
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher9387 View Post
BMW CA did the same thing to me when I reported the whistle noise issue and shown to 3 different dealers and everyone was saying it's just a wind noise. Unfortunately we don't have lemon law and bmw not part of camvap either.

So I placed 3 go pro /mic and took the foreman for a ride and switch the dealer car and proved to them it's not a wind noise ( These stealers knew very well it's not a wind noise but they don't want to accept it until I documented/video proof )and then they fixed it finally.

It's really shame on BMW Canada
Wow...i hate to hear this..but i guess i am getting a similar treatment...

Yea i have beem with BMW for a month now and to me the customer care is far behind Mercedes....i didnt expect any of this, the build quality/design flaw and how they treat customers problems.

Oh well
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #62
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What was the issue? How did they fix it ? Was it the hvac display?

U said they fixed....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #63
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Btw someone said this is a fan, I stand by my assertion that it is electronic components. They may be associated with a fan, but it isn't a spinning fan itself. It's akin to the high frequency noise old tube TVs used to make.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 05:20 AM   #64
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Btw someone said this is a fan, I stand by my assertion that it is electronic components. They may be associated with a fan, but it isn't a spinning fan itself. It's akin to the high frequency noise old tube TVs used to make.
That someone should be me lol although "its a fan" is what the technician (bmw dealership) said. I personally agree with you as i have some background in electrical engineering.

Anyhow, imma bringing this car to a different dealership and lets see what their technician thinks where the noise is from lol Hopefully something different LOL otherwise they are gonna refuse to do something about it again.
Appreciate 1
gofast182613.50
      01-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #65
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some videos if it this morning its loud when u put ur ear directly to the hvac digital display

But with senative hearing u can hear it in dead quiet time means with bo radio no ac on

And bmw already changed the hvac and vent trim month ago... was a little worse before but deff not gone

https://streamable.com/vum7d7
https://streamable.com/b81bao
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #66
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Update:

I went to a different dealership this time to checj out the noise problem. The technician claimned that they cant hear the noise ( i was lile "wth? really?) but they asked me to go in and sit in the car with the foreman to identify the problem, and compare to an x5 demo if necessary.

So i did.
First, the demo x5. Oh my god, it is so quiet in there LOL this is the X5 experience i was dreaming of! "LOL" indeed but sad.
Although the difference is soooo obvious to me, the foreman still cant hear the noise in my car lol...
I opened the sound frequency spectrum analyzer app i downloaded on my phone and after some serious convincing they finally decide to take a closer look...gosh its so difficult to get them to acknowledge the problem.

And yea, a quiet X5 is a reeealy nice car lol i want it.
Anyways now the car is at the shop, fingers crossed if they do anything about it.

About the demo x5 tho, the differences woth respect to my x5:
1, mine has the M sports package
2, mine has the Crystal elements
3, the demo does NOT have the wireless charger. Mine does, and it is from the premium Enhanced package.

Dont know if these differences matter. And the demo DOES have the little screen for AC controlls. Attached photo is the dash of the demo 2021 x5.
Attached Images

Last edited by kezzuki; 01-06-2021 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0