01-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #67
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzuki View Post
Update:

I went to a different dealership this time to checj out the noise problem. The technician claimned that they cant hear the noise ( i was lile "wth? really?) but they asked me to go in and sit in the car with the foreman to identify the problem, and compare to an x5 demo if necessary.

So i did.
First, the demo x5. Oh my god, it is so quiet in there LOL this is the X5 experience i was dreaming of! "LOL" indeed but sad.
Although the difference is soooo obvious to me, the foreman still cant hear the noise in my car lol...
I opened the sound frequency spectrum analyzer app i downloaded on my phone and after some serious convincing they finally decide to take a closer look...gosh its so difficult to get them to acknowledge the problem.

And yea, a quiet X5 is a reeealy nice car lol i want it.
Anyways now the car is at the shop, fingers crossed if they do anything about it.

About the demo x5 tho, the differences woth respect to my x5:
1, mine has the M sports package
2, mine has the Crystal elements
3, the demo does NOT have the wireless charger. Mine does, and it is from the premium Enhanced package.

Dont know if these differences matter. And the demo DOES have the little screen for AC controlls. Attached photo is the dash of the demo 2021 x5.
What if the noise has something to do with the wireless charger? I know its not the same location, but there could be a module its affecting?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:48 AM   #68
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 2021 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
What if the noise has something to do with the wireless charger? I know its not the same location, but there could be a module its affecting?
There is a chance I agree. Maybe the additional hardware is causing the circuit under the dash to behave poorly somehow.
Because i did put my ears very close to the wireless charging pad before, and there is barely any sound coming directly from that area.

And some additional clue: when i was trying to figure out where the noise is coming from, if i put like 2 sheets of printer paper (meaning very thin layer) to cover just the hexagon shaped area of the ac vents + ac control, the noise is completely gone.
...yes we can put like a layer of carbon fiber sticker to cover that entire area so that the problem is gone, but we wont be able to use those buttons at all, and we lose those 2 air vents lol Plus it will look like a old luxury car you got for free from the garbage yard...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #69
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Update!

Quote:
Update:

I went to a different dealership this time to checj out the noise problem. The technician claimned that they cant hear the noise ( i was lile "wth? really?) but they asked me to go in and sit in the car with the foreman to identify the problem, and compare to an x5 demo if necessary.

So i did.
First, the demo x5. Oh my god, it is so quiet in there LOL this is the X5 experience i was dreaming of! "LOL" indeed but sad.
Although the difference is soooo obvious to me, the foreman still cant hear the noise in my car lol...
I opened the sound frequency spectrum analyzer app i downloaded on my phone and after some serious convincing they finally decide to take a closer look...gosh its so difficult to get them to acknowledge the problem.

And yea, a quiet X5 is a reeealy nice car lol i want it.
Anyways now the car is at the shop, fingers crossed if they do anything about it.

About the demo x5 tho, the differences woth respect to my x5:
1, mine has the M sports package
2, mine has the Crystal elements
3, the demo does NOT have the wireless charger. Mine does, and it is from the premium Enhanced package.

Dont know if these differences matter. And the demo DOES have the little screen for AC controlls. Attached photo is the dash of the demo 2021 x5.

Good news, guys!

The foreman at the dealership got back to me today - they were able to pinpoint the source of the noise: the climate control unit (basically the panel that has the tiny screen and the AC control buttons). They did it by exclusion: unplugging each hardware unit and see if the noise goes away.

So they are going to ask BMW Canada for authorization and get a replacement. I will have to wait for like a week. This stupid unit costs ~1900 CAD before tax...rediculous

I have no idea how the previous dealer thought it was from a "tiny fan inside"....

Anyways, livinlife and -Vanguard-, maybe you can ask a dealer to check the climate control unit out?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 12:04 AM   #70
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good news, guys!

The foreman at the dealership got back to me today - they were able to pinpoint the source of the noise: the climate control unit (basically the panel that has the tiny screen and the AC control buttons). They did it by exclusion: unplugging each hardware unit and see if the noise goes away.

So they are going to ask BMW Canada for authorization and get a replacement. I will have to wait for like a week. This stupid unit costs ~1900 CAD before tax...rediculous

I have no idea how the previous dealer thought it was from a "tiny fan inside"....

Anyways, livinlife and -Vanguard-, maybe you can ask a dealer to check the climate control unit out?
Yea, im already booked for a Jan 12th appointment to replace the HVAC unit.

The thing is...it seems like its a lottery with these units. You might get another one that makes the noise. You have to make sure they keep replacing it until you get one that's good.

Tell them to use the unit from your loaner if that one is good LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #71
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The thing is...it seems like its a lottery with these units. You might get another one that makes the noise. You have to make sure they keep replacing it until you get one that's good.

Oh good idea lol will do. God that demo x5 was so quiet so nice lol

Hope i win this stupid lottery
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #72
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530i

Yes i already changed it out and still can hear it.... vanguard and kezz let me know after they switch it out if its gone or u can hear it....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #73
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also i had a similar noise on start up that comes
On from middle of car high pitch
Any one else had that

Its like a high pitch for 10- seconds on start up anyone else have that before or heard that... not everytime though just sometimes here some videos...

https://streamable.com/a001lh

https://streamable.com/g1la7x

https://streamable.com/37gt1p
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #74
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I am so curious about how it is going with your car right now
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #75
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am so curious about how it is going with your car right now
I dropped it off this AM and my service advisor told me he found a service bulletin about this noise and its related to the HVAC control unit for sure.

On a side note, they gave me a 2021 X3 and this car is a huge step down from the x5/x6. Very underwhelmed with the interior and 4cyl engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #76
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I dropped it off this AM and my service advisor told me he found a service bulletin about this noise and its related to the HVAC control unit for sure.

On a side note, they gave me a 2021 X3 and this car is a huge step down from the x5/x6. Very underwhelmed with the interior and 4cyl engine.
Hummm a service bulletin, what does it mean for you then? Are they going to switch a new part in? or did they find a way to fix the part?

I test drove an x4 before i bought the x5, and i did prefer the glass elements and the giant screen lol
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #77
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hummm a service bulletin, what does it mean for you then? Are they going to switch a new part in? or did they find a way to fix the part?

I test drove an x4 before i bought the x5, and i did prefer the glass elements and the giant screen lol
They said the bulletin calls for replacing the entire hvac control panel
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #78
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok let me know what happens vanguard and most important if the noise goes away
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:00 AM   #79
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They said the bulletin calls for replacing the entire hvac control panel
Nice!

Well, if it is not too much trouble, can you ask your advisor for some references to the bulletin? Maybe i can show it to the dealership here.... who have not been really cooperative with this issue all along lol

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #80
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
if in the USA, can check nhtsa.gov
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #81
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice!

Well, if it is not too much trouble, can you ask your advisor for some references to the bulletin? Maybe i can show it to the dealership here.... who have not been really cooperative with this issue all along lol

Thanks!
Take a video of the noise and email it directly to a dealer exec such as the general managers or operations officer. They will get the service director moving.

This noise can't be missed on a video recording and its painfully obvious. This problem is 100% value reduction to me since it makes me only focus on the noise and unable to enjoy my $80K X6. It may as well be a $8k used kia if all I can focus on is that noise.

Like I said, if they can't resolve this I will most likely lemon the car, even thought I love everything else about it. However, its not worth the quality of life deterioration that comes along with that high pitched noise. Its unbearable to people that have the ability to hear those high freq sounds. Like a constant dog whistle...

My service advisor seems to be a serious guy and very professional about it. So I am optimistic they will get this resolved for me.
Appreciate 1
gofast182613.50
      01-13-2021, 03:53 PM   #82
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Can someone post an image of the service bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #83
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Btw someone said this is a fan, I stand by my assertion that it is electronic components. They may be associated with a fan, but it isn't a spinning fan itself. It's akin to the high frequency noise old tube TVs used to make.
Quote:
That someone should be me lol although "its a fan" is what the technician (bmw dealership) said. I personally agree with you as i have some background in electrical engineering.

Anyhow, imma bringing this car to a different dealership and lets see what their technician thinks where the noise is from lol Hopefully something different LOL otherwise they are gonna refuse to do something about it again.

I originally tossed this up to a fan as well, as there's a small fan on the back of the headunit and I believe the gauge cluster. However, the sound is definitely coming directly from the HVAC display area. I've long since stopped hearing it (I have to put my ear up close with it quiet to really hear it, and it's not bad), so it is a non-issue for me fortunately. I don't recall if turning the HVAC off entirely makes it go away, but if it does, that would take away the credibility to it being an HU or gauge fan. I don't think the little HVAC controller has a fan on it.
      01-13-2021, 06:21 PM   #84
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yea we will wait on vanguard and go from there
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:52 AM   #85
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I originally tossed this up to a fan as well, as there's a small fan on the back of the headunit and I believe the gauge cluster. However, the sound is definitely coming directly from the HVAC display area. I've long since stopped hearing it (I have to put my ear up close with it quiet to really hear it, and it's not bad), so it is a non-issue for me fortunately. I don't recall if turning the HVAC off entirely makes it go away, but if it does, that would take away the credibility to it being an HU or gauge fan. I don't think the little HVAC controller has a fan on it.
Yea, its not just turning off HVAC control with buttons. The technician at this other dealer that I am dealing with, they opened the front dash and physically unplugged the HVAC panel from the the car, and the noise stopped. So they think the source is the HVAC panel.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #86
kezzuki
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Take a video of the noise and email it directly to a dealer exec such as the general managers or operations officer. They will get the service director moving.

This noise can't be missed on a video recording and its painfully obvious. This problem is 100% value reduction to me since it makes me only focus on the noise and unable to enjoy my $80K X6. It may as well be a $8k used kia if all I can focus on is that noise.

Like I said, if they can't resolve this I will most likely lemon the car, even thought I love everything else about it. However, its not worth the quality of life deterioration that comes along with that high pitched noise. Its unbearable to people that have the ability to hear those high freq sounds. Like a constant dog whistle...

My service advisor seems to be a serious guy and very professional about it. So I am optimistic they will get this resolved for me.
Sign...i envy how concerned about customers your dealership is...And that is not the case with mine, nor BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #87
livinlife
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well they switched my hvac out and it reduced but u can hesr it if its dead quiet or u put ur ear to it....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:57 AM   #88
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinlife View Post
Well they switched my hvac out and it reduced but u can hesr it if its dead quiet or u put ur ear to it....
With the engine off but the car on put your ear under the hood on the driver's side and let me know if you hear it. There's a computer module there and I think there may be common [electronic] components between it and what's inside the car and the noise is imitating from more than one place.
Appreciate 0