BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Requesting pictures of front PPF installs

If you have had PPF done on the front of your X5/X6, can you post pictures of the lower bumper? Particularly if you have the M-Sport package. I'm trying to get an idea of how installers are handling the big air scoops on the lower front bumper. I hadn't really thought about it before, but now I see it's a very hard area to install over.

I'm taking mine back for them to fix some things, but I'd like to see what others have done so I can have a frame of reference. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      01-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I don't have a pic right now but my installer used the pre-patterned XPEL. There is no PPF on any of the black plastic, only painted areas.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I also don't have a pic and my installer also used pre patterned xpel. On mine, the big air scoops only have the protective film on the vertical piece that's next to the mesh areas and also on the flat areas around the fog lights. Pretty much any area that was smooth, they applied the ppf.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
selwynj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
XPEL PPF

I am considering adding XPEL PPF and would like to see pics also. Wondering if the installers wrap the PPF or just cut it near the edges.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I have expel PPF and all painted surfaces of the bumper are covered even the gloss black trim pieces. The only thing not covered is the grill. I'd take a picture but honestly you won't be able to see anything.
Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      01-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by selwynj View Post
I am considering adding XPEL PPF and would like to see pics also. Wondering if the installers wrap the PPF or just cut it near the edges.
No pics, but I can tell you mine was not wrapped, it was cut near the edges.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

The XPEL ultimate plus PPF for the front of my X6 M Sport is one piece that covers the entire bottom front part of the bumper, Pictures would be pointless as you cannot actually see anything

The entire section with the red border is one piece.

The Black areas are separate sections added on, and the entire area painted white in the above picture is one piece

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      01-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

These were taken for a thread earlier, not sure they are helpful...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      01-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #9
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
These were taken for a thread earlier, not sure they are helpful...
Actually, that was helpful. Especially that second picture. So it can be done. The owner said he'd redo the bumper personally. Hopefully it'll turn out ok this time. Currently, there are relief cuts that have way too big of gaps IMO (nearly 1" wide at the area furthest in). I mean, I understand it curves back really far.. but a lot of sports cars have deep and swoopy air vents down there. I just expected more, especially with how internet famous they are.

Thank you all for the responses for giving me a sense of what happens out there in regards to a X5/X6. Online searches don't really pull up X5/X6s a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #10
daytonabch04
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 40i M Sport

I'm scheduled to get my full frontal PPF done next week. Been debating just the front and including hood or not. Also, doing ceramic coating on top of PPF and full vehicle... worried how it'll turn out!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #11
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonabch04 View Post
I'm scheduled to get my full frontal PPF done next week. Been debating just the front and including hood or not. Also, doing ceramic coating on top of PPF and full vehicle...worried how it'll turn out!
I did full front including front quarter panels, hood, pillars, roof line, and lower side (up to the lower crease) through the back (I have a big dog that gets in and want to avoid claw scratches). The mirrors were included but I opted out because the said the PPF would alter the color of the M Sport brushed chrome and they wouldn’t match the grill/rest of the car. Also ceramic on the entire car.

Below are additional pictures, the first showing the “seem” along the rear side panel and the second showing the tire ceramic treatment (really nothing to see, just love the look).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #12
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

PPF 2021 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
If you have had PPF done on the front of your X5/X6, can you post pictures of the lower bumper? Particularly if you have the M-Sport package. I'm trying to get an idea of how installers are handling the big air scoops on the lower front bumper. I hadn't really thought about it before, but now I see it's a very hard area to install over.

I'm taking mine back for them to fix some things, but I'd like to see what others have done so I can have a frame of reference. Much appreciated.
I attached a photo of mine the day we picked it up from the PPF shop. Naturally, the film can't be distinguished but the XPEL PPF kit covered everything, including the big air scoops, with the exception of the grille, the honeycomb structures, and the piano black surfaces by the fog lights. I can try and take a close up tomorrow.
Attached Images

'14 X5 s35i Lux Line Mineral White/Mocha (re-homed)
Appreciate 1
codex57214.00
      01-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

See my post in the cosmetic maintenance section
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:19 AM   #14
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for your pics. Even if you can't really tell, the fact that you guys included a pic so I could have proof that it can be done so you can't see any lines was very helpful. I had some relief cuts I was pretty unhappy about so I was looking at specific spots at all of your pics and they did help me because I could compare it against my car. So thank you all again.

I talked to the owner and he redid things with his best ppf guy. I'm very pleased now. No visible relief cuts. Took them 3 tries and experimenting, but they got it. They even wrapped the piano black areas. The only things they didn't cover was the grill and the honeycomb parts. He even added ppf to some extra areas as way of apology so he made things right. Now that the car is all clean and pretty without these weird gaps in the ppf, I'm gonna take pics of the car if it's sunny. I actually haven't had a chance to take nice photos of the car since I've had it. I only have some quicky photos from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #15
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Thank you all for your pics. Even if you can't really tell, the fact that you guys included a pic so I could have proof that it can be done so you can't see any lines was very helpful. I had some relief cuts I was pretty unhappy about so I was looking at specific spots at all of your pics and they did help me because I could compare it against my car. So thank you all again.

I talked to the owner and he redid things with his best ppf guy. I'm very pleased now. No visible relief cuts. Took them 3 tries and experimenting, but they got it. They even wrapped the piano black areas. The only things they didn't cover was the grill and the honeycomb parts. He even added ppf to some extra areas as way of apology so he made things right. Now that the car is all clean and pretty without these weird gaps in the ppf, I'm gonna take pics of the car if it's sunny. I actually haven't had a chance to take nice photos of the car since I've had it. I only have some quicky photos from the dealer.
It would be wonderful to have a sunny and the least bit warm day to do a quick wash to get a good feel how the PPF and ceramic are working!
Appreciate 0