BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2024, 03:49 AM   #1
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 x40i

Flat tire

Car is a week old and I got a flat tire with 359 miles on the car. It happened on the interstate, no pot holes. Just lost pressure. Not sure what caused it. Typing this as I wait for roadside assistance.

Question: can I get this replaced by the dealer using tire warranty? Its pirelli pzero. According to their website there some sort of consumer warranty.
Appreciate 1
JCaliX662.50
      02-10-2024, 05:49 AM   #2
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6 40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushy_musashi View Post
Car is a week old and I got a flat tire with 359 miles on the car. It happened on the interstate, no pot holes. Just lost pressure. Not sure what caused it. Typing this as I wait for roadside assistance.

Question: can I get this replaced by the dealer using tire warranty? Its pirelli pzero. According to their website there some sort of consumer warranty.
Pirellis do have a first year road hazard warranty. Hopefully, dealership will get this sorted out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 06:49 AM   #3
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
In a situation like that, it's probably the valve stem.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      02-10-2024, 06:51 AM   #4
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Took a picture of the tire after the spare was put on. See below. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 06:53 AM   #5
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

On another note. Before the spare was put on, i placed it next to the good tire. There is a half an inch maybe a full inch (im just estimating here since its 3am incident) difference. The spare obviously shorter. I had to drive 90miles to get home. Stayed within 50mph the whole time. Would that cause any damage to transfer case (long term damage?) due to size difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:06 AM   #6
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Took a picture of the tire after the spare was put on. See below. What do you guys think?
Good thing you didn't drive with the flat tire. Based on the picture, the tire looks repairable.

As for the difference in size of spare tire vs the others, I think there should be some tolerance in the xDrive system to handle that so I personally wouldn't worry about any long term impact. That being said, I don't know enough about xDrive so let's wait to hear from the experts.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:13 AM   #7
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

I just took better pics now that im home (4hrs after when im suppose to be). This is to show location and size of puncture.

Also read on the pirelli limited warraty that road hazards arent covered. should i still try the dealership service department to cover this?

Edit: the 2nd picture didnt load to show location. Its essentially in the center of the tire. At least its not a sidewall or shoulder damage. According to pirelli website, less than 1/4" can be repaired. But they also stated not to repair Y marking. Would that matter if i dont drive over 100mph? 80-90mph would be my fastest but only sometimes, avg or nomal driving is around 75mph.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:26 AM   #8
X6ix GTA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
I just took better pics now that im home (4hrs after when im suppose to be). This is to show location and size of puncture.

Also read on the pirelli limited warraty that road hazards arent covered. should i still try the dealership service department to cover this?
I'm sorry I misled you. For some reason I thought Pirelli did offer road hazard warranty. It is worth talking to the service department. Given how new the car is, they may help you out of goodwill gesture.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 07:27 AM   #9
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Looks like you ran over a flange head bolt. That does look repairable, so if BMW gives you any grief go to a discount tire and they will patch it for free.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 07:31 AM   #10
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
Good thing you didn't drive with the flat tire. Based on the picture, the tire looks repairable.

As for the difference in size of spare tire vs the others, I think there should be some tolerance in the xDrive system to handle that so I personally wouldn't worry about any long term impact. That being said, I don't know enough about xDrive so let's wait to hear from the experts.
As soon as low tire pressure came on, slowed down and looked for a place i can safely stop. I was able to park within 1-2mins of "no pressure" alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
I'm sorry I misled you. For some reason I thought Pirelli did offer road hazard warranty. It is worth talking to the service department. Given how new the car is, they may help you out of goodwill gesture.
No worries, had to arm myself with info before i make myself look like an idiot. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Looks like you ran over a flange head bolt. That does look repairable, so if BMW gives you any grief go to a discount tire and they will patch it for free.
I tried to feel if anything is in there, didnt seem like it. I would definitely opt for a repair if i cant get it replaced for free. Now way im buying new tires after 300 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:44 AM   #11
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Very much repairable, so go for it. Give the dealer a try.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 08:54 AM   #12
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

You are way overthinking all of this. Cars get flats. Brand new cars get them. Old cars get them. Some can be repaired (like this one) and some can’t. Some people have hazard coverage and some don’t. You just dropped some serious money on the car - take it to the dealer, get it fixed and move on. You could also take it to a tire shop but make sure it’s one you trust that does not use impact wrenches. Also note I speak as someone who also overthinks and over worries about stuff. This one ain’t worth the headache.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      02-10-2024, 09:20 AM   #13
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

I tend to overthink things. I find it the best way to pass the time by. Lol.

Anyway, dealer said no to replacement as expected. Im here at delta world tire now to get patch and plugged. Seems the best of the bunch in my area if im to believe online reviews. Sadly no discount tire near me.

First time repairing my tire. Thanks everyone for all the guidance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 09:36 AM   #14
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
You are way overthinking all of this. Cars get flats. Brand new cars get them. Old cars get them. Some can be repaired (like this one) and some can’t. Some people have hazard coverage and some don’t. You just dropped some serious money on the car - take it to the dealer, get it fixed and move on. You could also take it to a tire shop but make sure it’s one you trust that does not use impact wrenches. Also note I speak as someone who also overthinks and over worries about stuff. This one ain’t worth the headache.
Good luck finding a shop that doesn't use impact wrenches. Most home mechanics use them now that way you don't wear your ass out busting nuts loose with a breaker bar. There's nothing wrong with impact wrenches, used correctly. They're for loosening, and initial spin ons, then torque to spec with a torque wrench.
Appreciate 1
E91toG05344.00
      02-10-2024, 10:49 PM   #15
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
I tend to overthink things. I find it the best way to pass the time by. Lol.

Anyway, dealer said no to replacement as expected. Im here at delta world tire now to get patch and plugged. Seems the best of the bunch in my area if im to believe online reviews. Sadly no discount tire near me.

First time repairing my tire. Thanks everyone for all the guidance.
Sam’s club also does a tire repair also for free if your a member.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 11:20 PM   #16
JCaliX6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550ix

Quote:

Tire manufacture warranty usually does not apply to OEM installed tires. Had the same thing happen. On defect in workmanship not road hazard. You better hope they don’t make ya replace all 4. Probably not with that low mileage on X drive
      02-10-2024, 11:21 PM   #17
JCaliX6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550ix

Quote:
On another note. Before the spare was put on, i placed it next to the good tire. There is a half an inch maybe a full inch (im just estimating here since its 3am incident) difference. The spare obviously shorter. I had to drive 90miles to get home. Stayed within 50mph the whole time. Would that cause any damage to transfer case (long term damage?) due to size difference?
Not for that short distance
      02-11-2024, 07:56 AM   #18
mushy_musashi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
ah too late. Didnt know that. I am a member, hopefully theres no next time so i dont have to use their services!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCaliX6 View Post
Not for that short distance
I thought as much. Still wanted to be minimizing any effect it may cause. Id rather be preventive than reactive.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:10 AM   #19
BlkGS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
I think you have to purchase the tires from them for this? Not 100% on that.

They do however give you prorated road hazard coverage when you buy tires from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #20
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I think you have to purchase the tires from them for this? Not 100% on that.

They do however give you prorated road hazard coverage when you buy tires from the
If you are a member , they will do a repair for free. I have an another car picked up a nail and they fixed it for free.
Appreciate 1