RedX4MC
Scott Langenthal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Toronto Red Metallic X4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
so I can see the HUD (slightly dimmed) with my rayban polarized glasses which leads me to wonder a little bit
With the HUD brightness turned all the way up I can somewhat see it on my car, but not clear enough for 62 year old eyes 🤔
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedX4MC View Post
With the HUD brightness turned all the way up I can somewhat see it on my car, but not clear enough for 62 year old eyes 🤔
the HUD further adjusts its own brightness depending on the level of sunlight in relation to the vehicle direction (it gets brighter when facing the sun directly)

brightness level doesn't affect clarity; may need to update your visual acuity
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #25
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
So BMW actually made some sunglasses with a polarizing filter (called VI/On) that works with the HUD. It seems they weren't marketed that well, and they're not cheap, but I can confirm these work.

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/prod...ML3349TRIGTRAN
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      06-01-2022, 08:18 PM   #26
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak View Post
So BMW actually made some sunglasses with a polarizing filter (called VI/On) that works with the HUD. It seems they weren't marketed that well, and they're not cheap, but I can confirm these work.
been needing a reason to take advantage of my AmEx Plat SFA credit. only problem is I need them with Rx which would remove the filter
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #27
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
been needing a reason to take advantage of my SFA AmEx credit. only problem is I need them with Rx which would remove the filter
That's exactly what I did! I don't regularly shop there, so it was nice that they sold those sunglasses on their website. I will say the thing I don't like is that the rear of the lens doesn't have an AR coating, so light from behind you could reflect back at your eyes. I normally wear Persols, which have this coating, and it's a very good feature to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:16 AM   #28
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/prod...ML3349TRIGTRAN
Here's an article on those glasses:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/16/...nglasses-test/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 08:34 AM   #29
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

Agree with others. With Oakley prism I don't have any issues seeing the HUD in any light and any brightness setting. I also don't have this issue with my 100% glasses I use for cycling either. Different companies will use different coatings and lens tech. I e yet to run across this problem though. What glasses are you using ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:36 PM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

The primary issue with polarized lenses is what is the orientation. It is usually easy to tell if you take them off and look through one lens then rotate it. At some point, you'll see things, and they'll fade away as it gets rotated away from that point.

If you've ever played with a polarizing lens for a camera, you'll know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #31
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanes01 View Post
Agree with others. With Oakley prism I don't have any issues seeing the HUD in any light and any brightness setting. I also don't have this issue with my 100% glasses I use for cycling either. Different companies will use different coatings and lens tech. I e yet to run across this problem though. What glasses are you using ?
Agree. I've switched to Oakley Prizm Daily non-polarized. They're great and the HUD is very clear.

I have some older Oakley polarized glasses. The HUD is barely visible with my head upright. If I tilt my head to the right the HUD brightens up.

Save the polarized glasses for when you're at the beach or on the water.

Gerry
      09-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #32
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

So according to BMW documentation, they designed the HUD to rotate the display (within settings) to avoid this exact problem. Its not the best fix but it helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #33
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Roka sunglasses

My Roka sunglasses have polarized lens. I just ordered non-polarized lens and will switch them out. I'll give an update after I do that and am able to see the HUD display.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #34
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I2P View Post
My Roka sunglasses have polarized lens. I just ordered non-polarized lens and will switch them out. I'll give an update after I do that and am able to see the HUD display.
Non-polarized lens came in the mail today. I installed them and now can see the HUD display good.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
So according to BMW documentation, they designed the HUD to rotate the display (within settings) to avoid this exact problem. Its not the best fix but it helps.
that adjustment didn't help my case. non-polarized sunglasses did
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #36
sparrky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW - 2023 X5 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
Gradient polarized

I have a pair polarized sunglasses with a gradient. Darker top, lighter bottom. Top of the lenses the HUD disappears, bottom you can see it daily well. Ray Ban aviators.

Just an idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:42 AM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrky View Post
I have a pair polarized sunglasses with a gradient. Darker top, lighter bottom. Top of the lenses the HUD disappears, bottom you can see it daily well. Ray Ban aviators.

Just an idea.
most polarization is offered with sunglasses. interesting how it appears to only be in the shaded portion of your lenses. I have a pair of polarized gradient prescription sunglasses I can test, though I can't say I noticed a distinction between the shaded and non-shaded portions
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #38
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Most polarized sunglasses are oriented to try to block the glare of light coming off of flat surfaces with the light source and bounce ahead of you...the more to the side the light source is or the less horizontal the surface is, the less effective the polarization is. The easiest way to check the orientation is to look at a surface that has glare on it then while holding the lens away from you, rotate it. You should see the glare increase at some point, and be minimal at 90 degrees rotated from that point. If you have a camera polarizing lens, it's a bit easier to see the effect.

Few sunglasses have the orientation perfectly vertical, which would block the light rays bouncing off of flat surfaces ahead of you, which includes the HUD light projection, but slightly angled to account for the fact those surfaces may not be perfectly flat nor is the light source reflecting at the same angles. The angle of the light source affects what angle works best in polarized glasses (Brewster's angle), so vertical may not be best, and it would be different at the equator versus the poles, as the angles would be different and is why some polarized sunglasses will have better or worse view of the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #39
sparrky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW - 2023 X5 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrky View Post

Just an idea.
most polarization is offered with sunglasses. interesting how it appears to only be in the shaded portion of your lenses. I have a pair of polarized gradient prescription sunglasses I can test, though I can't say I noticed a distinction between the shaded and non-shaded portions
Nah. The gradient is the darkness of the lense.
Appreciate 0