BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2023, 06:08 PM   #1
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Windshield Replacement- OEM or Not?

I have a ‘21 X5 with HUD. Got a quote for install from an indy shop and non OEM glass is $1K cheaper. Installer said there would be no difference as it relates to HUD, sensor for wipers, etc. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:19 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Definitely can be a difference. A number of us have had it replaced with non-OEM and even though it is rated for a HUD the image can be blurry. Mine was on my M340i and they used Plinkinton. The HUD image was not crisp and it was hard to look at. I almost was going to pay out of pocket to have it replaced with OEM but figured it wasn't worth it. Thankfully once I got my tint put on it cleared up the image to the point I can use it.

From now on it will only be OEM and done by my dealer.
matowi261.50
dwwStL161.50
      02-21-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Ugh, okay. Was hoping i could save some coin. Maybe I’ll try and go through insurance and just pay my deductible. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 3
kgelfen3602217.00
orion0110.50
dwwStL161.50
      02-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #4
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I had a crack and Safelite replaced it with an OEM unit. My insurance, Erie, covered all but $150. Safelite also installed new wiper blades and calibrated all the cameras. At the time, about 2 years ago, I was told there were no aftermarket ones that were acoustic glass and HUD approved. It is definitely OEM as it has the BMW logo in the driver's side lower corner.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I had a crack and Safelite replaced it with an OEM unit. My insurance, Erie, covered all but $150. Safelite also installed new wiper blades and calibrated all the cameras. At the time, about 2 years ago, I was told there were no aftermarket ones that were acoustic glass and HUD approved. It is definitely OEM as it has the BMW logo in the driver's side lower corner.
I got two OEM windshields from them and the windshields were fine but had a problem on second one with my wiper sensor. A few months after they replaced the windshield it started throwing errors. It turned out there is a gel pack between the camera/sensor and the windshield and it got a bubble in it and as the season changed it moved. My dealer fixed it, just for the cost of the part, but said it looked like the pack was not replaced with the windshield and/or creased.
dwwStL161.50
      03-15-2023, 10:33 AM   #6
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 MINI Cooper Convertible S

Just had a new windshield installed from Safelite on my 2023 X5 45e; but they still need to come back to calibrate the sensors/camera. I figured I'd just leave the car in the driveway since they are coming back today, but decided to move it back into the garage around lunch after they left. Sadly, I noticed when I turned on the car, they must have shut off the HUD during install and when I turned it back on, I immediately noticed the blurriness/slight double image of the HUD, its headache inducing to say the least where I couldn't even really look at it.

They techs still need to come out and recalibrate the sensors and cameras, but I'm going to immediately address it. It's a Plinkinton (sp?) windshield, and if they cannot fix the issue during calibration, have a feeling it's going right back into getting another screen installed. My car is less than 4 months old, definitely not dealing with a blurry HUD until my lease is up.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      03-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #7
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Safelight- OEM. Was going to go non OEM at first as I was paying it in full, but they recommended OEM (it was 6 months into the car) and happy I did. Safelight did an outstanding job in all respects to include calibration. In their shop/not outside. Would use this location again.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 02:59 PM   #8
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlewisinsyr View Post
Just had a new windshield installed from Safelite on my 2023 X5 45e; but they still need to come back to calibrate the sensors/camera. I figured I'd just leave the car in the driveway since they are coming back today, but decided to move it back into the garage around lunch after they left. Sadly, I noticed when I turned on the car, they must have shut off the HUD during install and when I turned it back on, I immediately noticed the blurriness/slight double image of the HUD, its headache inducing to say the least where I couldn't even really look at it.

They techs still need to come out and recalibrate the sensors and cameras, but I'm going to immediately address it. It's a Plinkinton (sp?) windshield, and if they cannot fix the issue during calibration, have a feeling it's going right back into getting another screen installed. My car is less than 4 months old, definitely not dealing with a blurry HUD until my lease is up.
If it's blurry it may not be HUD compliant glass. There is a different glass. Down in the corner of the new windshield, it should have a bunch of names, numbers and symbols. Can you post a pic? You should see what looks like a thick "I" with an angle slash cut out of it. BTW ... there really is no one brand of "OEM" glass. Mine is made by FUYAO but there are others.

Last edited by weinerbarn; 03-15-2023 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #9
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
If it's blurry it may not be HUD compliant glass. There is a different glass. Down in the corner of the new windshield, it should have a bunch of names, numbers and symbols. Can you post a pic?
It is HUD compliant glass, but this seems to be a common issue with non-OEM windshields (even beyond BMW).

Good news is the tech that came to calibrate confirmed the issue and basically said right up front that they need to install a OEM BMW windshield instead and this is not that uncommon.

They already scheduled the replacement but it will be a few days, well actually next Tuesday before my schedule and theirs align to swap it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #10
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
If it's blurry it may not be HUD compliant glass. There is a different glass. Down in the corner of the new windshield, it should have a bunch of names, numbers and symbols. Can you post a pic? You should see what looks like a thick "I" with an angle slash cut out of it. BTW ... there really is no one brand of "OEM" glass. Mine is made by FUYAO but there are others.
As a follow up, here is the glass info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2023, 06:00 PM   #11
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Oh and it gets so much better now…

1. Now my safety systems are generating errors (post calibration).

2. Found they nicked the plastic housing near the mirror taking it off, it’s small, but again 4 month old car.

3. Following calibration, the car now is throwing up an error message that it cannot charge (note it was connected to the charger between install and calibration for a few hours, with no error).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:17 PM   #12
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Man…so very sorry. All I can say is that, and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #13
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
I had a similar situation, broken 3 months after i bought my X5. My insurance asked me to take it to safelite. I told them i want the dealer to do it. Dealer asked ~$3800, safelite was $1200. I asked my insurance to cover the amount they wouldve paid to safelite, and that i would pay the rest myself. They said ok, claim it after the repair and well honor the deal. They ended up paying the whole thing when i did my claim. I had my insurance policy renewed recently and no increase to my premium whatsoever.I am a fan of statefarm now.

Long story short, anyone who comes across this post, please ask your insurance. they may pay the dealer cost even if they're not in their collusion center network.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:24 PM   #14
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
Ugh, was just about to post a new thread about this. Got a huge crack in my windshield today, so I went to the dealer in town and found out that they don’t even replace windshields (I live in the middle of nowhere), they send them to a small shop in town. Salt Lake City is the next closest dealer to me (3 hrs away) and I was trying to avoid driving down there, but it’s looking like I may need to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 07:56 PM   #15
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
I had a similar situation, broken 3 months after i bought my X5. My insurance asked me to take it to safelite. I told them i want the dealer to do it. Dealer asked ~$3800, safelite was $1200. I asked my insurance to cover the amount they wouldve paid to safelite, and that i would pay the rest myself. They said ok, claim it after the repair and well honor the deal. They ended up paying the whole thing when i did my claim. I had my insurance policy renewed recently and no increase to my premium whatsoever.I am a fan of statefarm now.

Long story short, anyone who comes across this post, please ask your insurance. they may pay the dealer cost even if they're not in their collusion center network.
Crazy thing is, come to find out my insurance company authorized an OEM windshield right from the start. This is totally all on Safelite.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jlewisinsyr; 03-15-2023 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
TheACN104.50
thereef5101165.00
      03-16-2023, 08:57 AM   #16
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak View Post
Ugh, was just about to post a new thread about this. Got a huge crack in my windshield today, so I went to the dealer in town and found out that they don’t even replace windshields (I live in the middle of nowhere), they send them to a small shop in town. Salt Lake City is the next closest dealer to me (3 hrs away) and I was trying to avoid driving down there, but it’s looking like I may need to do that.
Do you have an Intermountain Auto Glass location near you? They promise OEM-quality glass and replaced a windshield for me last fall that was 100% compliant and was fully covered by State Farm ($100 deductible). I'm in Boise area.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #17
HC707
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

I had an independent auto glass shop put OEM windshield on my X5. I told the insurance company I will only accept OEM and they agreed. I am in Florida so as long as you have comprehensive coverage, zero out of pocket. Everything works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 01:47 PM   #18
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

OEM all the way. I had Safelite replace mine a month or two ago but my insurance wouldn't cover OEM initially so they installed a HUD compliant FUYAO.
As soon as I drove off I could tell that the HUD was blurry and ghosted, so back I went for an OEM replacement. Took about a month for the OEM glass to come in stock, but when it was done the HUD was crisp and clear.
Appreciate 1
viperdoc364.00
      03-17-2023, 08:55 AM   #19
wufpak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Do you have an Intermountain Auto Glass location near you? They promise OEM-quality glass and replaced a windshield for me last fall that was 100% compliant and was fully covered by State Farm ($100 deductible). I'm in Boise area.
Looks like the closest one is in Jackson, thanks for the recommendation though! I ended up going to the place that the dealer recommended, and they said they’d only use OEM parts. So hopefully this one will go alright.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #20
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

I would go for OEM. Just like others have said, non-OEM can cause problems with the HUD...or at least my Pilkington one did. Had it replaced 4 months ago and just couldn't stand the distortion anymore.

But USAA won't pay for the OEM. Safelite wanted to install a "higher quality" non-OEM and I said no. I would be out $1000 to have the OEM installed, and that's what I am going to do
Appreciate 1
kwickag74.50
      03-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #21
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdoc View Post
I would go for OEM. Just like others have said, non-OEM can cause problems with the HUD...or at least my Pilkington one did. Had it replaced 4 months ago and just couldn't stand the distortion anymore.

But USAA won't pay for the OEM. Safelite wanted to install a "higher quality" non-OEM and I said no. I would be out $1000 to have the OEM installed, and that's what I am going to do
USAA paid for my OEM through Safelite. I didn't even have to talk to them. The guy said they authorized aftermarket, and I said I wanted OEM. He put it in the system and it came approved within seconds.
Appreciate 2
viperdoc364.00
AGONXF30270.50
      03-17-2023, 11:13 AM   #22
viperdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7/‘21 45e/‘23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
USAA paid for my OEM through Safelite. I didn't even have to talk to them. The guy said they authorized aftermarket, and I said I wanted OEM. He put it in the system and it came approved within seconds.
Holy crap!!! that really pisses me off. I fought for 2 weeks, on the phone with them multiple times, and safelite kept saying that USAA didn't authorize it. Total crap. I have been with them for literally 25 years, and I think it is time to change. I am active duty too. What a rip off

But....one other tidbit is that this could be a safelite issue. Apparently if Safelite tells USAA that they need to use OEM, then USAA will authorize it. But the safelite lady I spoke with said her opinion is that the distortion from the non-OEM may just be a bad windshield, so that's why they want to do another non-OEM first. Of course I already paid $400 for the heat rejection film on there, so i would be out that $$ too.

Last edited by viperdoc; 03-17-2023 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0