01-26-2024, 01:06 PM   #67
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The advantage can cost. Many insurances will not cover OEM or having the dealership do the windshield. They will give you the amount equal to what it will cost at Safelite and then you will have to pay the rest. Check with your insurance to see how they handle things.

Safelite can handle all of the calibration that is required.
Safelite called and me and said they can be here in 2 hours, and it will take about 3 hours, I asked them if they are using OEM, they said no, they would have to reconfirm with insurance.

I told them it's a lease, I don't want to have problems, she suggested I double check. I don't think BMW would accept lease return with aftermarket windshield, right?

I also read a lot of comments where the insurance authorized OEM but safelite or shop installed Aftermarket. If Insurance authorized OEM, I would rather drop it off at the dealership instead of waiting for them to install, calibrate etc.. in rainy weather.
      01-26-2024, 01:11 PM   #68
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

You will want to insist on OEM especially if you have a HUD. The third party they usually use is Pilkington and they are terrible with HUDs. If it is FUYAO then you likely will be okay on that point.
      01-26-2024, 03:01 PM   #69
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The advantage can cost. Many insurances will not cover OEM or having the dealership do the windshield. They will give you the amount equal to what it will cost at Safelite and then you will have to pay the rest. Check with your insurance to see how they handle things.

Safelite can handle all of the calibration that is required.

Quote:
You will want to insist on OEM especially if you have a HUD. The third party they usually use is Pilkington and they are terrible with HUDs. If it is FUYAO then you likely will be okay on that point.

I spoke to the dealer, he insists I have to pay first then claim to insurance, that basically long story short they don't want to deal with insurance, because he says insurance pays by check and then they have to hold the car hostage until check clears.. So weird, if it's insurance it's insurance who approves it and you just release but they want $$$ right away.

I called another dealer, waiting for them to get back to me, the whole sales advisor business, let's see how it goes.

Dealer told me part is $1750 for the windshield, plus cost of adhesive, etc molding whatever they have to replace, plus labor (which I am still waiting for someone to get back to me)
Could someone here share the cost they saw was claimed or reimbursed, or how much they were quoted for G05 w/HUD?
Thanks in advance.
      01-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I spoke to the dealer, he insists I have to pay first then claim to insurance, that basically long story short they don't want to deal with insurance, because he says insurance pays by check and then they have to hold the car hostage until check clears.. So weird, if it's insurance it's insurance who approves it and you just release but they want $$$ right away.

I called another dealer, waiting for them to get back to me, the whole sales advisor business, let's see how it goes.

Dealer told me part is $1750 for the windshield, plus cost of adhesive, etc molding whatever they have to replace, plus labor (which I am still waiting for someone to get back to me)
Could someone here share the cost they saw was claimed or reimbursed, or how much they were quoted for G05 w/HUD?
Thanks in advance.
My dealer is the same and I think most are, you pay them and then claim to insurance. Sounds like they are in the ballpark. When I got mine done, Satellite charged around $2,500 for the installation and calibration for an OEM windshield, that was back in 2019 and 2020.
      01-26-2024, 05:24 PM   #71
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I got first quote:
Labor: $1,500
Parts: $2,100
      01-26-2024, 05:28 PM   #72
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I got first quote:
Labor: $1,500
Parts: $2,100
I would get a quote from Safelite with them using OEM glass and doing the calibration. Tell them it will be for going through your insurance. That should get you the amount your insurance (assuming you can talk them into OEM) will give you if you go to a dealer.
      01-27-2024, 09:17 PM   #73
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would get a quote from Safelite with them using OEM glass and doing the calibration. Tell them it will be for going through your insurance. That should get you the amount your insurance (assuming you can talk them into OEM) will give you if you go to a dealer.
Thanks, Safelite is not giving me a specific quote for OEM or aftermarket, so I assume online it's aftermarket. I'll reach out to them and see if they can quote me that, but dealer's pricing is ridiculous. I get the parts are expensive but do they really pay their workers like $200/hr? $1500labor? Safelite says it takes about 3 hours, even if it takes 5 hours, I am curious where dealer is getting $1500 labor from!

Last edited by hyde; 01-27-2024 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 09:54 PM   #74
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Safelite is not giving me a specific quote for OEM or aftermarket, so I assume online it's aftermarket. I'll reach out to them and see if they can quote me that, but dealer's pricing is ridiculous. I get the parts are expensive but do they really pay their workers like $200/hr? $1500labor? Safelite says it takes about 3 hours, even if it takes 5 hours, I am curious where dealer is getting $1500 labor from!
It seems they often pad their quotes so if a person agrees to it that is what they will charge. I would guess $200 is about the hourly charge for many dealers.
      01-28-2024, 03:19 PM   #75
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

I'm in MA and had Safelite replace my windshield under insurance (the one with the umbrella logo). First install was non-OEM and although it passed calibration, the HUD image was absolutely appalling, the image was had me seeing double vision.
Contacted Safelite about the issue and they got an OEM windscreen fitted about a month later, which the insurance covered also. Insurance only log one replacement on my file since the non-OEM one was junk.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:27 AM   #76
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems they often pad their quotes so if a person agrees to it that is what they will charge. I would guess $200 is about the hourly charge for many dealers.

In case anyone wants to know 2nd dealer, also local offered $2375 for Parts and $1100 for Labor total $3475+tax for 2021 X5 w/all the calibration for auto sensing lights/wipers and cameras/HUD/etc..

They indicated 4.5hrs for labor, which comes out to whopping $244 for labor which is $265/hr after tax.
      01-29-2024, 10:30 AM   #77
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
In case anyone wants to know 2nd dealer, also local offered $2375 for Parts and $1100 for Labor total $3475+tax for 2021 X5 w/all the calibration for auto sensing lights/wipers and cameras/HUD/etc..

They indicated 4.5hrs for labor, which comes out to whopping $244 for labor which is $265/hr after tax.
Thanks for the data. Hopefully you can get a quote from Safelite and then you can compare them as well as talk to your insurance to see what they will pay.
      01-29-2024, 04:30 PM   #78
Adro117
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Just throwing my two cents in.

I just replaced my windshield on my 23 45e. I was encouraged to use Safelite from AllState. Making the claim and appointment was easy. Initially the AllState agent said they never pay for OEM glass. However I was able to put in the request. They day of install I called to make sure; OEM was approved and safelite had ordered two from FUYAO to make sure it fit. Install and calibration took 2 hours at their facility.

Glass is spotless, has the BMW logo. So far all the sensors work as they should. I used a decibel meter app to check sound going 45mph and it was around the same pre and post installation.

Total cost with labor was $2300 including deductible.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 04:39 PM   #79
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adro117 View Post
Just throwing my two cents in.

I just replaced my windshield on my 23 45e. I was encouraged to use Safelite from AllState. Making the claim and appointment was easy. Initially the AllState agent said they never pay for OEM glass. However I was able to put in the request. They day of install I called to make sure; OEM was approved and safelite had ordered two from FUYAO to make sure it fit. Install and calibration took 2 hours at their facility.

Glass is spotless, has the BMW logo. So far all the sensors work as they should. I used a decibel meter app to check sound going 45mph and it was around the same pre and post installation.

Total cost with labor was $2300 including deductible.
Thanks so much for the info.
When you say "including deductible" meaning the amount you had to pay plus the amount insurance paid, total was $2300?

My policy has no deductible for glass (full coverage) and $1000 deductible for collision. I spent whole week going back and forth between safelite and State Farm's 3rd party LYNX Services. It's very frustrating.

Safelite cancelled my appointment before I went there, did not even notify me, good thing I called night before.

LYNX says Safelite should call them, Safelite says they called and they didn't confirm OEM. I called Lynx asking them to give me the number Safelite needs to call, they said they can't give that number to me. I asked them to give me the amount they are willing to cover, so I can pay for difference or find out how much, they are not sharing that either. Safelite also won't quote full replacement price either, unless I am willing to get aftermarket, which is about $1200.

Maybe it's the safelite in my area that's the problem.
      02-02-2024, 05:02 PM   #80
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
When you say "including deductible" meaning the amount you had to pay plus the amount insurance paid, total was $2300?

My policy has no deductible for glass (full coverage) and $1000 deductible for collision. I spent whole week going back and forth between safelite and State Farm's 3rd party LYNX Services. It's very frustrating.

Safelite cancelled my appointment before I went there, did not even notify me, good thing I called night before.

LYNX says Safelite should call them, Safelite says they called and they didn't confirm OEM. I called Lynx asking them to give me the number Safelite needs to call, they said they can't give that number to me. I asked them to give me the amount they are willing to cover, so I can pay for difference or find out how much, they are not sharing that either. Safelite also won't quote full replacement price either, unless I am willing to get aftermarket, which is about $1200.

That is frustrating and scary given I have State Farm. Have you called your agent? Let him or her take care of it knowing that you will be shopping for a new insurance carrier if it is not handled appropriately.
      02-08-2024, 12:23 AM   #81
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is frustrating and scary given I have State Farm. Have you called your agent? Let him or her take care of it knowing that you will be shopping for a new insurance carrier if it is not handled appropriately.
I called again, and I switched it from Safelite to a local glass company.
I realized it was Safelite issue, it's near impossible to reach safelite. No matter which number you call (general or local) they get you to automated system and they push you to online arrangements or text messaging or apps, and you can't actually get someone on the line the moment it's 5pm.

I called the local one, the manager picked up the phone, he knew exactly what I was talking about, and said just give them my details. I hung up, called LYNX Services and gave them the new company name. Lynx called the local shop, he picked up the phone even though they closed at 5pm (it was after 5) and confirmed back everything, he will be calling me back with pricing difference once he sources OEM glass, as well as he said he will source the OEM Spec replacement that is not made by BMW but what they put on X5s normally.

So there is some development, while the crack is getting bigger every day.

Curious, what do they do with registration and inspection sticker?
      02-08-2024, 02:10 AM   #82
andymatt1
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 45e MSport

OEM all the way !!
Aftermarket shields are crap If you have HUD .. never works
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 08:32 AM   #83
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
So there is some development, while the crack is getting bigger every day.

Curious, what do they do with registration and inspection sticker?
Glad to hear things are moving along. Thankfully it wasn't smashed windshield you needed right away.

It has been many years since I had a sticker on the windshield but they used to scrape them off, give them to you and then you need to go get new ones.
      02-08-2024, 09:09 AM   #84
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
I went thru the windshield thing a few years ago with Farmers on a Jaguar XJ. Initially they would not pay for an OEM windshield. Non OEM windshields were not available for my car that had ACC. After about 6 weeks of going back and forth they FINALLY agreed to the OEM as they could not find a non OEM replacement. They told me I "should" get an OEM parts only rider (~$50) for my policy. My agent said that the rider would avoid this problem but if I was willing to wait and argue with them for six weeks there is no reason to get the rider because at the end of the day they would have to pay for a windshield that works in my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:44 AM   #85
Adro117
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45E

Quote:

My deductible was $250, I paid that plus $50 for new wipers to qualify for their warranty. The rest was paid by AllState, which was an additional $2300
Appreciate 0