01-11-2024, 09:39 AM   #45
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I could have saved a few bucks by ordering elsewhere but I'm about to head out on a trip and suddenly remembered I had not yet changed the oil so I looked for the quickest delivery I could find and it was Amazon Prime. I chose delivery over price this time. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do
Totally get that. We order stuff from Amazon way too often. I can order stuff from Walmart just as easily too.

I usually order filters from rockauto, and buy a few at a time. They're by far cheapest, and the little magnets they send out are nice too lol. Got quite the collection of those now on the garage fridge.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:53 AM   #46
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Be careful ordering car parts from Amazon and do whatever diligence you need to, to get comfortable with the seller. On more than one occasion, I've ended up with counterfeit car parts from Amazon.
Appreciate 1
dwwStL161.50
      01-11-2024, 10:02 AM   #47
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Totally get that. We order stuff from Amazon way too often. I can order stuff from Walmart just as easily too.

I usually order filters from rockauto, and buy a few at a time. They're by far cheapest, and the little magnets they send out are nice too lol. Got quite the collection of those now on the garage fridge.
Ha ha ha, you can't even see the side of my friends fridge, its completely filled with Rock Auto magnets. We laugh every time we see it. Depending on what I'm looking, how quick I want it and for which car I use Rock Auto, Autohausaz, FCP Euro, Amazon, my local dealer and once in a while ECS Tuning. Amazon is not always the best price but if it's a Prime item, we get it quickly and sometimes that's more important than a few bucks savings. That said Autohausaz has delivered parts to me pretty dang quick, I think they have a warehouse somewhere on the east coast.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #48
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
Be careful ordering car parts from Amazon and do whatever diligence you need to, to get comfortable with the seller. On more than one occasion, I've ended up with counterfeit car parts from Amazon.
I've not had any issues with that even though I read reviews where people complain about it. I do inspect everything once I get it, just my nature.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 03:05 PM   #49
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Individual liters or quarts are crazy expensive, that's probably why.

You can get 12qts or euro spec mobil 1 for $60 (which btw, is nuts because they were $40 like a year ago), but the individual bottles are like 7$. The Mann filters are like $20 (for the M50i at least). Liquid Moly does tend to be more expensive than standard oil brands, so that and if you bought them as individual liters would I guess add up, especially in a high tax area.
If you order your filters and oil from FCP, They have a lifelong warranty . you can send the used oil filter back and they refund the cost so initially your oil changes are free except for some shipping
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:15 PM   #50
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
If you order your filters and oil from FCP, They have a lifelong warranty . you can send the used oil filter back and they refund the cost so initially your oil changes are free except for some shipping
You can't send the used oil back if that's what you mean, it's a consumable. If you send a used oil filter back, you have to first fill out their return form, tell them what's wrong with it and then place an order for another one before they will take it back but my guess is an oil filter is a consumable so the only way to justify a return is if you ordered the wrong one and it doesn't fit. In that regard, I don't think its possible to get a free oil change by using them.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 04:48 PM   #51
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
You can't send the used oil back if that's what you mean, it's a consumable. If you send a used oil filter back, you have to first fill out their return form, tell them what's wrong with it and then place an order for another one before they will take it back but my guess is an oil filter is a consumable so the only way to justify a return is if you ordered the wrong one and it doesn't fit. In that regard, I don't think its possible to get a free oil change by using them.
I have used them before. And it worked. They now make it harder. Let me describe the process.

Before, you can order oil + filter from them. Once you done oil change, package the used oil and used filter, send back to them at you own cost. They give 100% credit for what you paid for new oil and filter that you just purchased a week ago. The filter and oil you return don’t have to be from FCP.

Now, similar to above except the item you return, you have have receipt or order number proving you purchase from them. So the first oil change with FCP, it is on the owner, the subsequent oil change you get credit from FCP.

Sounds good, but in reality, shipping old oil back is very messy and expansive. And chances are you get less oil than you put in. So maybe you still need to pay for 1 quart per oil change. Over all, I would say oil change isn’t worth the hassle. And most people must not take advantage of this, other wise FCP will close its door already.
      01-11-2024, 04:57 PM   #52
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
It would cost more to ship 11qts of oil back than it does to buy new oil, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #53
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would cost more to ship 11qts of oil back than it does to buy new oil, lol.
Exactly. I have tried FCP way, cost or effort involved don't make sense. so now I buy my oil. I guess if you live close to them, can stop by to drop off old oil, then it makes sense
      01-11-2024, 06:06 PM   #54
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Exactly. I have tried FCP way, cost or effort involved don't make sense. so now I buy my oil. I guess if you live close to them, can stop by to drop off old oil, then it makes sense
I don’t believe shipping was that much to send the oil back I usually only have seven quarts . Sent ups Less than $20 no problem I have to dispose of it somehow anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 06:39 PM   #55
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Or when your battery takes a dump.
I don’t know how much a complete battery on an EV does cost.

But for the 50e PHEV they told me approx. $20k.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 06:50 PM   #56
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don’t believe shipping was that much to send the oil back I usually only have seven quarts . Sent ups Less than $20 no problem I have to dispose of it somehow anyway
$20, it is too cheap for 7 quart, for my zip

per quart of oil, let's say 1kg? Why? because oil density is slightly lower than water, which is about 1kg/ltr, but we have bottle. So total for 7 quart is 7kg, or 15lb. Add box, let's call total shipping weight 18lb.

94024 (my zip) to 06460 (FCP), UPS ground, $60

Now, I am not sure I can buy 7 quarts of 0W20 LL17FE+ for $60, but shouldn't be too far. But I can sure buy 0w40 and 10w60 LL01 under that. In fact, walmart sometime has 0w40 and 10w60 mobile 1 full synthetic for $25 per 5quart bottle. If I happen to see it, I will clear their rack.
swainbmw525.50
      01-12-2024, 09:01 AM   #57
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Could you please elaborate on this? Thinking of changing my own Cabin and Engine Air filters from here on. I noticed that FCP has MAHLE BEHR filters that are half the cost of BMW originals - any experience with these or better to stick with BMW originals?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #58
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Does passenger compartment air really need to be "filtered"? We don't drive through Sahara dust storms or California wild fires.
Could the filter just be discarded and not replaced when it is at its specified replacement point.
Appreciate 1
X6ix GTA142.00
      01-12-2024, 09:24 AM   #59
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What a dichotomy, we buy $100K cars and then perform gyrations to try and get free oil changes. Ok, well whatever. I think I can see why FCP Euro has tightened up its return policy. I believe their claim for lifetime guaranty is more of a marketing blurb and if the majority of people took advantage of it, which I'm sure they hope will not happen, they'd go bankrupt and we'd all lose out. Their strategy relies on people like me who can't be bothered with returning used parts that worked. I just bring my oil to my corner auto parts store and they are happy to take it.

swainbmw,go for it, you're just taking advantage of what they allow, I mean heck, its their rules and if they take it back then you have taken advantage of what they hope most don't. Mo Po to U!
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      01-12-2024, 10:00 AM   #60
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
94024 (my zip) to 06460 (FCP), UPS ground, $60
Get an account with stamps.com (it's free) and estimate UPS ground thru them.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:32 AM   #61
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Does passenger compartment air really need to be "filtered"? We don't drive through Sahara dust storms or California wild fires.
Could the filter just be discarded and not replaced when it is at its specified replacement point.
It's keeping debris from get sucked further through the HVAC system. If you simply removed it, you'd have all manner of detritus deep in the bowels of the HVAC system. Some of that would collect and become wet, moldy and disgusting, and some would pass on and blow through the vents right into your face, shoes, etc.
Appreciate 3
cobramite1227.50
X6ix GTA142.00
tooloud10766.50
      01-12-2024, 12:26 PM   #62
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
It's keeping debris from get sucked further through the HVAC system. If you simply removed it, you'd have all manner of detritus deep in the bowels of the HVAC system. Some of that would collect and become wet, moldy and disgusting, and some would pass on and blow through the vents right into your face, shoes, etc.
Gotcha, that answers this question and makes good sense. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:04 PM   #63
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha, that answers this question and makes good sense. Thanks!
Definitely yes. If you ever look at the cabin filter coming off a car in say even 1 years, you will see how filthy they are compare to the new one. Another way to realize this is your home HVAC filter. They are already in your house, so should be clean. But 6 month old filter vs new, huge difference.
      01-12-2024, 01:17 PM   #64
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I remember the old days when cars had a fresh air vent down by your feet. You pulled a little round black handle that was directly connected to a door flap that would then open and bring the outside air directly into the car...along with the air came pebbles, flies, bees and whatever else was out there, like smells, etc. There was no filter and if you were not moving at speed, there was no air flow No one knew any better so we liked it and used it.

A far cry from today's cars and my only complaint with today's set up is you can seldom get untreated fresh air in through the system to cool you down. You can start out with it but once you get where you're going and park the car, the internal vent system heats up due to engine heat and sunshine on your dash, then when you get back in and the fan turns on, you get hot air out of the fresh air vents. Now you have to condition it. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:23 PM   #65
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember the old days when cars had a fresh air vent down by your feet. You pulled a little round black handle that was directly connected to a door flap that would then open and bring the outside air directly into the car...along with the air came pebbles, flies, bees and whatever else was out there, like smells, etc. There was no filter and if you were not moving at speed, there was no air flow No one knew any better so we liked it and used it.

A far cry from today's cars and my only complaint with today's set up is you can seldom get untreated fresh air in through the system to cool you down. You can start out with it but once you get where you're going and park the car, the internal vent system heats up due to engine heat and sunshine on your dash, then when you get back in and the fan turns on, you get hot air out of the fresh air vents. Now you have to condition it. It is what it is.
Open windows?
      01-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #66
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Open windows?
Too much wind noise and buffeting, it messes up what hair I have left and I have to keep up my pretty appearance driving a car like the X5

Hey, back to the subject, oil change. After just changing mine the other day I was reminded at just how small the oil drain bolt is. It's the smallest I have ever seen in a car. I only change the crush washer and not the bolt. Anyone here change the bolt each time they change the oil and if so, why?
Appreciate 0