ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Thumbs up StopTech Street Performance Pads

I just installed these on my car last night and I highly recommend them compared to the stock pads for improving braking feel. As with anything, "feel" and "impressions" in this post are subjective. But I will tell you Skelekitty seconds and confirms my impressions. Might ask our new local Z4M buddy e for effort to weigh in as well.

Skelekitty's car has been running these for about 6 weeks, and I didn't realize just how much I disliked the stock pads until I picked up my own car two weeks ago. The stock brake pads produce too much pedal travel before biting, and then they bite rather abruptly. (Sort of feels like a soft pedal and then a grabby set of brakes and way too much like an on/off button for my tastes.) The Stoptechs are much more progressive (bite increases with pedal travel/effort) and make it much easier to control the level of braking force. Be aware that hard braking does require the application of more pedal force (compared to stock). Note: We'll be moving to dedicated track pads for the next outing--I want to save these pads for street use.

Whether running some back roads with a spirited bit of driving or just driving around town they make things a lot more fun. These pads are not up for serious track use/abuse, but for noobs running on tracks that are not braking intensive they should be okay and should be better than the stock pads. (That's per Zeckhausen--and they are supposed to drop off gradually as they move to very hot). If you drive mainly on the street and hit the canyons now and then these make things a lot more fun and improve the stock system IMO. The feel is just better.

As with any performance pad there's a bedding procedure to be followed (pretty much the usual drill for these vs. what I've seen from other pads mfgrs).

In terms of dust, they dust less than stock pads but you will still find brake dust on your wheels the next weekend after you clean your wheels.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-31-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Good to know, thanks for the post. Sounds like a soon to be project.
      03-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
wassup61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0SI

I have a box of these waiting to go on my 3.0SI,
Currently running the Axxis/PBR ULT which is a similar pad, and works as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
zillaZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
I also own these pads and can attest to their improved feel. A good upgrade, and if I remember they were rated rather good for rotor life, noise, and dusting (low dusting). It seemed pretty win win over stock pads. I can't speak to the dusting (yet.. as i had black wheels on, but now have my silver's back on), but I assume and hope its much lower. BMW, I am NOT a chimney sweep :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

I shall pick up a set as my stock pads are wearing thin...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Are these the same pads they use with their BBKs? If so, I agree with everything written by OP. Feel is better (no more on/off switch feeling), and the dust is manageable. There is still dust, but it's much finer, and doesn't turn into sludge like the stock pads do when wet. It wipes right off the wheel too, you don't have to scrub like with the stock pads. Win.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^+100. i swapped my stock pads with axxis deluxe ceramics, which were designed specifically to match oem performance but eliminate the brake dust as much as possible. i noticed immediately a very linear pedal travel and progressive brake engagement, and the dust is next to non-existent. braking power is approximately the same, but without tt on/off feel of the stockers. definite
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
pricing?
      04-01-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

146 for front and rear pads (not including shipping) from Zeckhausen. Nikki, I believe these are what typically ship with Stoptech's BBK for street use. (But will double check when I'm on my pc and not mobile.)
Appreciate 0