11-03-2023, 10:14 PM   #23
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Preconditioning assumes you'll be getting into the vehicle after some time. It does run for about 30-minutes, so after that time, the vehicle should be comfortable. At least that's how it works on the PHEV. I don't think the ICE will run for that long as idling is about zero mpg, so may try a little harder initially, but getting in shortly after starting it up may not produce a very useful effect.
Unless they've changed it ICE is 15 minutes. That said I haven't had one complaint from the wife that does a remote start prior to leaving her classroom and out to the car even when it was 110 degrees here in Phoenix this summer. Not sure how long she runs it but guessing about the 7 to 8 minutes of walk time from the classroom to the parking lot.

Her 2017 X5 with no remote start was a crap show. It was max A/C and even then it took 10 minutes plus when originally starting the drive home before it cooled off.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:18 PM   #24
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I believe the issue here is simply that the HVAC’s AUTO programming isn’t to your liking, so it’s really just personally tolerance.

my wife has had BMW since 2009, but she is still impatient with getting the cabin to temp. on hot days, she’ll blast MAX A/C as soon as she starts the vehicle. on cold days, she’ll raise to thermostat temp to get it to start heating faster. maybe it’s placebo for her, but I know she likes the physical feeling of the air blowing on her face. for me, the increase in fan speed at the beginning is enough and still gets the cabin to temp in what I perceive as an acceptable timeframe, but everyone’s tolerance is different.
It is a terrible design.

You remote start a $25,000 Honda Civic and if the interior temp is very high, the A/C will start at its maximum potential to lower it as soon as possible.

You remote start your $100K+ BMW and if the interior temp is very high, but your last setting was AUTO-VERY LOW, it will try to cool down the cabin in VERY LOW.

Totally defeats the preconditioning purpose.

Before I get a “go buy a Civic”, I really like most of BMW features, but can’t get over how terrible the A/C is.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:28 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I really hope that’s just an iDrive 8/8.5 bug because when I open the door just 5 minutes into preconditioning when the temperature delta is large, the fan speed is often much higher than my AUTO LOW setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:39 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I really hope that’s just an iDrive 8/8.5 bug because when I open the door just 5 minutes into preconditioning when the temperature delta is large, the fan speed is often much higher than my AUTO LOW setting.
Could be the version he is running, or just his perception, as we have had other LCI owners say it works just fine and seems to operate as the iD7 Auto operated.

I think a lot of it is often perception, preconceived notions, bias, expectations, etc. when we talk about the A/C versus what it actually happening.
nZtiZia4729.50
      11-03-2023, 10:42 PM   #27
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
That's ironic as after picking up my wife's LCI 40i I was happy to see a "max" physical button. Assumed max A/C but nope heater which is absolutely useless here in AZ.
I thought that button you saw is for windshield defrosting max, no?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:45 PM   #28
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

BMW HVAC doesn’t always do what G05 does. My older bmws will do max fan in auto. Basically there is only one big range, min to max. For center vent has a physical dial for direct adjustment, instead hidden behind a few clicks of menu. Here is where I prefer the older bmw implementations.

No experience with bmw precondition or remote start prior because they are all manual. However, other brands, QX60 and MDX, they do blast at full max AC in remote start is situation calls for it. And no separate center vent adjustment. They works better IMO. I hardly need to touch the HVAC control.
      11-04-2023, 12:52 AM   #29
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
I thought that button you saw is for windshield defrosting max, no?
Yes, windshield defrosting as a correction vs heater. Either way 💯 useless here in Phoenix.
Appreciate 0