BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
droidguuuuy1
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

Looking for a PreProduction 2019 X5 near NYC

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all, I am in the process of looking for a new car and am very interested in the 2019 X5.

I was looking originally at an Audi Q7 but it was not comfortable for me, long story short, I am tall with long legs and like to be able to spread my legs a bit and the Q7 has the door handle stick out and is firmly against my leg/knee when I am driving (I like to keep my foot on the floor and not the dead pedal when driving). After looking at a lot of cars I tried the 2018 X5 and its literally like the only SUV I tried that actually was comfortable for me. Tons of leg room and width due to how they designed the door with nothing sticking out in the leg area.

I really love the 2019 based on pictures/video so I want to wait and get the 19 (will be my first BMW) however I really want to sit in one and make sure its at comfortable as the 18. I noticed in the pictures BMW added a door handle that sticks out like the Q7 but its hard to tell if this is going to take away from the perfect leg room/width of the 18 model. I know the 19 is wider overall so maybe it wont be a problem.

Thing is I dont want to wait till November and then find out the 19 is not as comfortable as the 18 and then buy an 18 when less options will be available. If I am going to buy an 18, I would prefer to do it now.

BMW north america is right near me and I heard they brought the car to some events and shows but none of the dealers can tell me where it will be next or where I can see it. (pre-production). Does anyone here know where I can see one now or soon in the NYC area? Any BMW NA employees on this forum that can tell me or help me?

I had seriously considered driving to BMW NA HQ and see if I can find the right person to show me one but no idea if they will laugh me out of the building or be totally accommodating.

Thanks much.

PS. I am being told all sorts of different info when I can actually buy one of these. I have been told early October, mid October, Haloween, Mid November and Thanksgiving. Is there any concrete info on when the first ones will hit the dealers in the NYC area? If I could sit in one and confirm it fits me well I would def be willing to put down a deposit to get one of the first ones the dealers get. Also got conflicting info on this, one dealer told me I would need to pre-order with a deposit to be sure to get one on release, another dealer told me they are getting so many all at once that its pointless.

THANKS AGAIN!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #2
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

My dealer told me they were expecting their demos yet this month. We shall see.

I am like you, long legs but I did buy the Q7. Agreed the handle isn’t the greatest, but at least they padded it unlike the Q5. I saw the new handle on the G05 and was bummed. Q7 has more total legroom than the X5 (stretching legs) but less if you are spreading out due to the handle, wide center console, and wheel that doesn’t tilt as high. But I like the Q7 seats a lot more.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 02:39 AM   #3
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
I have yet to even see a single journalist first drive review of x5 so you are not gonna get a drive anytime soon. This is a bit shocking since there are tons of walkabout reviews of x5 and first drive reviews of x7 which is a few more months out.

My guess is bmw is very confident of x5 with more power lower weight and better suspension and upgraded interior so they are not bothering with early drives. Well one can hope...
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
I have yet to even see a single journalist first drive review of x5 so you are not gonna get a drive anytime soon. This is a bit shocking since there are tons of walkabout reviews of x5 and first drive reviews of x7 which is a few more months out.

My guess is bmw is very confident of x5 with more power lower weight and better suspension and upgraded interior so they are not bothering with early drives. Well one can hope...
I just want to sit in one, driving it would be a major luxury. I can tell as soon as i sit down and close the door if its good for me or not.

supposedly it was on display at a local golf tournament recently but people only really found out after the fact as it was not announced. BMW NA HQ is about 20 min from me so I am guessing its likely to show up at more events soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
My dealer told me they were expecting their demos yet this month. We shall see.

I am like you, long legs but I did buy the Q7. Agreed the handle isn’t the greatest, but at least they padded it unlike the Q5. I saw the new handle on the G05 and was bummed. Q7 has more total legroom than the X5 (stretching legs) but less if you are spreading out due to the handle, wide center console, and wheel that doesn’t tilt as high. But I like the Q7 seats a lot more.
This month would be great.

Yeah the Q7 has insane depth, probably the most of any car I have ever sat in! the width is what i care about the most though. I just couldnt get past that damn door handle, my knee was smashing into it or the steering wheel.

Regarding the handle on the G05, it looks like it MIGHT not be a problem as it looks to not stick out far and be at a different angle than the Q7. They put it in the worst possible position/angle on the Q7 for my knee.

This is why I am so desperate to see a 19 model though in person, if its going to be less comfortable I will buy a 18 in a heartbeat. I love the 18 but the 19 just looks insane so I dont want to piss myself off by jumping the gun. I just hope there is still a good selection of 18's when the 19 demos come out so if I am stuck getting an 18 I can get all the option s I want.

(If I get an 18 i probably would get a 4.0 electric because it has pre-heating and pre-cooling which isnt exactly remote start but its close enough) I really want the digital guages too though, love them.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Get an '18 x5M!
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
droidguuuuy1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Get an '18 x5M!
My buddy has one and holy shit is all i can say. I got in the car thinking ok this is a quick SUV but its an SUV. I got out thinking holyshit this thing is a race car lol. TBH thought I dont need that kind of performance. I get my speed kicks on my sportbike, I try to keep it sane in my car
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 01:24 AM   #8
droidguuuuy1
Rep

I saw on tv tomorrow is the gold BMW championship or something liek that, I bet the car is going to be there if it was at a previous golf event since this one is sponsored by BMW. Their twitter told me I would have to wait till they hit showrooms in Novemmber before I can see one in person though.

I dont know why some dealers are saying they are geting them this month or early next month when BMW USA is saying thanksgiving.,
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Just drive over to BMW HQ

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
Just drive over to BMW HQ
Well, you just heard it from the man himself!
Appreciate 0