BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2020, 01:44 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

M card key

So.... my BMW "genius" was anything but. I knew more about the car than she did, just from watching youtube videos. My "initial walkthrough" was 15 minutes.... half of which I was teaching her how to adjust the interior ambient light. Yes, it was that bad.

This key card. It works like a key I guess. It is programmed and working properly.

My question is...... why?

Is it just an "alternative" key...... or does it have some sort of other function that I'm not aware of?
Attached Images

6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Imagine you’re a runner, constantly at the gym, headed to a concert or nice dinner in a sharp suit and prefer to just have a minimal wallet. This key makes leaving a gaggle of keys at home. I’m so happy they added this feature!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll View Post
Imagine you’re a runner, constantly at the gym, headed to a concert or nice dinner in a sharp suit and prefer to just have a minimal wallet. This key makes leaving a gaggle of keys at home. I’m so happy they added this feature!
Sure.... I can see that.

Am I correct in saying that it's just an extra key? It doesn't have any other unique features or purpose?
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Imagine you're a runner, constantly at the gym, headed to a concert or nice dinner in a sharp suit and prefer to just have a minimal wallet. This key makes leaving a gaggle of keys at home. I'm so happy they added this feature!
Sure.... I can see that.

Am I correct in saying that it's just an extra key? It doesn't have any other unique features or purpose?
It's just an extra key.

Only unique feature and purpose is that it's a card that can be carried discreetly on your person without the bulkiness of a remote or display key.

I always carry mine in my wallet in case I misplace my remote, LOL.

JLR has a similar key, a wristband Activity Key.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Imagine you're a runner, constantly at the gym, headed to a concert or nice dinner in a sharp suit and prefer to just have a minimal wallet. This key makes leaving a gaggle of keys at home. I'm so happy they added this feature!
Sure.... I can see that.

No it doesn't indeed.

And it only works with direct contact between the nfc logo on the card and the door handle. So you have to take it out of your wallet. And then put it on the wireless charger to start the car.

And don't leave it in your car when you leave.

I keep it in my wallet for emergency cases. Didn't do a trip only with the keycard.
Appreciate 1
ZCPM4132.50
      02-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure.... I can see that.

Yes it's just a key. But amazing in my opinion. No huge fob. Just a lil credit card. I was actually waiting for this. But then again I'm always, running, hiking or at the gym so I can appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Thats cool. Thanks folks.

Not bashing it at all.... it's a great feature. My BMW "3xpert" was not very good at all, so I was kinda like "what exactly is this for?"

I'll keep it in my wallet, in case I every forget my keys or something. That'll work.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Sad to see that the so called BMW Genius/Experts have a lack of in depth knowledge compared to their customers.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:42 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
Sad to see that the so called BMW Genius/Experts have a lack of in depth knowledge compared to their customers.
This was my 3rd new BMW.

The first one, was a 2014 328i. After several hours of paperwork (as normal), the "genius" came out to the car with me, and for 45 minutes, couldn't figure out how to get bluetooth music to play from my phone.

After about an hour, another rep came out, and informed me that I'd just bought a car that DIDN'T HAVE expanded bluetooth... so I could only "talk" on my phone.. not play music. I was PISSED, because it was a VERY SPECIFIC question I asked during the buying process.

I was literally so angry.... I just said "we're done here.... you can get out" to the BMW genius... and I drove off angry after buying a brand new car.

That was BMW of Montgomery, Alabama btw. About a year later, my car was in 3 times for suspension noises, all of which they claimed "not our fault" because I had Eibach springs on it.

Eventually, I tore it apart myself... and discovered a loose bolt on the A-arm... which they did.

When I traded up to my 2016 340i... I drove over an hour to the dealer in Columbus, GA (who was awesome).... just to avoid giving one more dime to that shitty dealer in Montgomery. Worst dealer experience I've had in 25 years, and over 60 cars I've owned.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

that sucks to hear your dealer was that terrible. Now that I have it configured, I absolutely treasure this key card. I have my usual group of keys in my backpack but the keychain is so so heavy and unwieldy that i've been resorting to just detaching the BMW fob from the rest of the keychain and just taking that with me if I'm going out.

Except last weekend somehow my phone fell out of my pocket and into the uber somewhere and I sobered up real quick tracking down the uber girl to get my phone back. So im in constant fear that can happen with my key fob and then that's $400 to get a new one, if not more. Having a key in my wallet itself is an absolute godsend. I just got it set up with my driver profile and it works perfectly, I couldnt be happier about not having to carry a fob (well until CarKey launches).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #11
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Does the key need to be in it's "holder" to start the car or can it remain in your wallet?

disregard, found the answer.

Last edited by tellch00; 02-26-2020 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:20 AM   #12
rolllikero
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i 2020

I was wondering if there is a way to check key card compatibility with my G05. Where I live comfort access and the wireless charger comes standard with the car but we do not get Connected Drive.

There are a lot of posts saying you just need to enter the car, place the card on the wireless charger and then the option should pop up on iDrive.

I have reached out to my dealership but to be frank, they are not very knowledgeable about tech offerings that aren't part of the local package. I am sure they will revert saying the key card is not compatible but I wouldn't trust them.

Is there a way to use my VIN to check if the key card is compatible?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:38 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolllikero View Post
I was wondering if there is a way to check key card compatibility with my G05. Where I live comfort access and the wireless charger comes standard with the car but we do not get Connected Drive.

There are a lot of posts saying you just need to enter the car, place the card on the wireless charger and then the option should pop up on iDrive.

I have reached out to my dealership but to be frank, they are not very knowledgeable about tech offerings that aren't part of the local package. I am sure they will revert saying the key card is not compatible but I wouldn't trust them.

Is there a way to use my VIN to check if the key card is compatible?

There is no pop up when you put the card on the wireless charger. When you put it on you are able to start the car which wouldn't be possible if the card wasn't there (and your key outside of the car)

You need to activate this function in Idrive in the key and acces section. If you don't see the card as an option I guess it is not available.

Do you have the card?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:46 AM   #14
rolllikero
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
There is no pop up when you put the card on the wireless charger. When you put it on you are able to start the car which wouldn't be possible if the card wasn't there (and your key outside of the car)

You need to activate this function in Idrive in the key and acces section. If you don't see the card as an option I guess it is not available.

Do you have the card?
Thank you for the feedback. The pop up I mention is at the time of configuring the key card with the vehicle (if that makes sense).

I do not have the card, I was going to buy one from one of the BMW Dealers on the web and have it shipped to me. I am assuming that my car should be compatible with the key card since it comes with comfort access as well as a wireless charger. Do you think that would be true?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:12 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the card?
Thank you for the feedback. The pop up I mention is at the time of configuring the key card with the vehicle (if that makes sense).

I do not have the card, I was going to buy one from one of the BMW Dealers on the web and have it shipped to me. I am assuming that my car should be compatible with the key card since it comes with comfort access as well as a wireless charger. Do you think that would be true?
Don't waste your money on that. It is not worth it. Just having the key in your pocket is easier. Or did you have a special purpose for the card?

Do you have a new iPhone? Or are you planning to buy one? It should also have the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
rolllikero
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the card?

Don't waste your money on that. It is not worth it. Just having the key in your pocket is easier. Or did you have a special purpose for the card?

Do you have a new iPhone? Or are you planning to buy one? It should also have the functionality.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have the card?

I appreciate your honest feedback. I wanted an additional key (apart from the two that come with the car). One option was to put down 300-450$ for an additional physical key. Alternatively, this might be a cheaper option considering $48 for the key and at worst $30 for shipping to me. So will it work?

Also, I do have an iPhone 11 Pro and I do know about digital key however BMW India does not have the Connected Drive app so that means I cannot configure my phone as a Digital key. Thus the only option for an additional key is either the key card or an additional physical key.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #17
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Worst dealer experience I've had in 25 years, and over 60 cars I've owned.
25 yrs, 60 cars.... Wow...
In my 15yrs, 2 cars........
Appreciate 0