BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
BrettMRC
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, X5 4.6is

45e - electrical failures

I thought I would start a thread to share my experiences to date...

Car has 7700 miles, (give or take) and was a Xmas 2019 delivery.

Over the last 3-4 months it has developed a number of faults:

1) Stopped charging (July) - this was rectified at the dealer by them doing "a hard reset" of the car and a software update.

2) After this strange behaviour began to happen; it would lock the brakes on hard when manouvering at slow speeds with no nearby obstacles, it would refuse to lock, it would fail to recognise the keys unless they were placed directly on the transponder, and it would continually revert to 6A charging. Took it to the dealer, they could find no faults and sent a BMW genuis out to make sure I knew how to use the car properly.... (this was in early September)

3) A week after the above the drivers display failed to initialise and the sensor suite failed. BMW Assistance sent out a tech who diagnosed either a failed OTA update, or a defective canbus. BMW had the car for a week, reinstalled the update and cured everything except the random reduction to 6A charging.

4) 48 hours ago when turning on the car it revved the engine up to c3k rpm and held it there whilst displaying a drivetrain failure message. Turned it off and on again, this time the red message was replaced with an amber one saying power reduced, drivetrain problem. BMW assistance sent out a tech and he was able to see a drive motor control module fault code, but couldn't replicate the error.
Car went back to the dealer the following morning. A call that afternoon informed me that there were multiple fault codes logged on the EME and that they are investigating.
This morning my wife popped in to the dealer while she was passing and they suspect they may need to replace "something in the chassis" but are not certain yet.
I'm awaiting their call to get it verbatim and see whats going on.

BMW's service has been top notch, but it's so annoying to have to put up with this crap on such an expensive vehicle.

I wonder if this will end up being battery related or a duff control system?

Be curious to know if any other 45e owners have had similar faults/events?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      10-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

These sound like early adopter issues for sure.

Number 2. sounds like what happen to me when they updated the software and added a more aggressive sensing. Need a good reset but never came back for me. I've seen where individuals has rear sensors set to calibrate to correct this after software update. Super simple for them to do its like the windshield replacement all they do is set them to learn again.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
awesoM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 edrive35 2022 X7 M50

#3 random reduction to 6A charging has happened to a number of owners, myself included. Not sure why...
94 325is/07 528i/08 X5 3.0/08 328i Conv/11 X5 35i Prem/12 X5 35d/12 335i Conv/15 328d/15 328GT/15 X3 28d #1/15 X3 28d #2/16 X3 35i/16 X5M/16 M4 Conv/17 330e/21 X5 45e - Arctic Grey/21 X5 45e - Alpine White /21 330e Xdrive/I4 e35
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesoM View Post
#3 random reduction to 6A charging has happened to a number of owners, myself included. Not sure why...
Me too. Should be solved with software update 11/2020 so I have heard.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMRC View Post
I thought I would start a thread to share my experiences to date...

Car has 7700 miles, (give or take) and was a Xmas 2019 delivery.

Over the last 3-4 months it has developed a number of faults:

1) Stopped charging (July) - this was rectified at the dealer by them doing "a hard reset" of the car and a software update.

2) After this strange behaviour began to happen; it would lock the brakes on hard when manouvering at slow speeds with no nearby obstacles, it would refuse to lock, it would fail to recognise the keys unless they were placed directly on the transponder, and it would continually revert to 6A charging. Took it to the dealer, they could find no faults and sent a BMW genuis out to make sure I knew how to use the car properly.... (this was in early September)

3) A week after the above the drivers display failed to initialise and the sensor suite failed. BMW Assistance sent out a tech who diagnosed either a failed OTA update, or a defective canbus. BMW had the car for a week, reinstalled the update and cured everything except the random reduction to 6A charging.

4) 48 hours ago when turning on the car it revved the engine up to c3k rpm and held it there whilst displaying a drivetrain failure message. Turned it off and on again, this time the red message was replaced with an amber one saying power reduced, drivetrain problem. BMW assistance sent out a tech and he was able to see a drive motor control module fault code, but couldn't replicate the error.
Car went back to the dealer the following morning. A call that afternoon informed me that there were multiple fault codes logged on the EME and that they are investigating.
This morning my wife popped in to the dealer while she was passing and they suspect they may need to replace "something in the chassis" but are not certain yet.

BMW's service has been top notch, but it's so annoying to have to put up with this crap on such an expensive vehicle.

That is annoying.

I have the switching to 6A on regular base. Didn't happen for some time now but sometimes it is a couple of times / week.

I also have my car from Christmas 2019, The other problems I didn't see (yet)

I hope they can solve it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #6
BrettMRC
Rep

Just been informed that it won't be ready today, so get to enjoy the 2.0D F-Pace they've given me for the weekend....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
When will this be available?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
When will this be available?
I made an appointment the third week of November. Also for winter tires.

I updated to 03/2020 on 02/03/2020.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:45 AM   #9
BrettMRC
Rep

Update:
I got the car back the following week, so far no further repeat of the revving or "OMG EVERYTHING IS BORKED" messages...

However, it still reverts to 6A on charging from time to time and the charging flap is now an absolute swine to open - so assume that got messed with when it went in last time.

At the request of BMW I am keeping a diary of charging events so they can raise a ticket with a documented charging rate history - intent is that the dealer will raise it BMW UK next. (Going back in on the 7th to see what they can do and sort out the ****ing charging flap)

This car was great until an update ****ed it IMO. Doing some digging it seems that the update protocol does a live re-write as it streams the data, no chance of any file integrity checking if thats what it does IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:57 AM   #10
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

I have the same exact issues, actually more than that (stalled on road a few times-totally dead) on F15 45e. It's shame that BMW wasn't able to fix all these PHEV issues and release them on the G05 platform.

Good luck to all 45e owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:42 AM   #11
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

I am so surprised the G05 seems to have plenty of "bugs" that should have been solved from all the years running the same sotware on previous generation X5.. it is like this is brand new to them... they really need to up their coding team if they dont' want to be bought buy Tesla pretty soon !
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

The thing is that in the old days it took 10-12 years to develop a new car with less electronic. Now it take not even 3 years including the next face lift and an overload of electronic. The result is that you will get all the bugs in the first models.
As the car is quite new on the market, since September 2019 the techs are doing try and error. I hope they will fix all the problems asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #13
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

Quote:
How do you check the software? Sorry new to g05.

I just got mine and it’s 11/20 although on the 10a charger still I could see running at 6a where first time I saw it at 10a.

Will report back once I have my charger installed in a day or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
Quote:
How do you check the software? Sorry new to g05.

I just got mine and it's 11/20 although on the 10a charger still I could see running at 6a where first time I saw it at 10a.

Will report back once I have my charger installed in a day or two.
It sometimes switches back to 6A spontaneously. You should set it back to 10A (or more) in the charging menu or your charging time will double.

You got your car 11/2020. Production was probably a couple of months earlier.

Your software should be 07/2020. I just informed with my garage and 11/2020 is not available (at my Belgian Dealership ). I postponed my appointment two weeks.

You can check your idrive version in the car menu and software update. It will show your current version.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The only time you might need to tell the vehicle to use less power than maximum is if the place you have your EVSE attached is sharing its circuit with some other devices, and if it were maxed out, it could overload the external wiring or pop a breaker or fuse. Otherwise, it never hurts to leave the vehicle's restriction at maximum. The EVSE sends out a signal that says "there's X amps available". It is then the vehicle's responsibility to never try to use more than that.

Conversely, the 45e won't try to pull more than 16A, regardless of the size of the EVSE it is attached to, so, you could safely plug it into one capable of 50A or more...or one that can only support 10A...they get along.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:45 AM   #16
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
It sometimes switches back to 6A spontaneously. You should set it back to 10A (or more) in the charging menu or your charging time will double.

You got your car 11/2020. Production was probably a couple of months earlier.

Your software should be 07/2020. I just informed with my garage and 11/2020 is not available (at my Belgian Dealership ). I postponed my appointment two weeks.

You can check your idrive version in the car menu and software update. It will show your current version.
I got the message from my dealership that the update is postponed to beginning of 2021. But perhaps the issue they are following up on (my sunroof issues) is moved to another software build and not the entire thing postponed.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      11-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #17
talonsoes
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettMRC View Post

HI BrettMRC,

After just 1 month since I received my beast I've just left in BMW dealer in Madrid the car with the same #4 issue you have mentioned in your post. Hard to find someone describing exactly what I experienced yesterday. It happened two times and both errors disappeared after 10 minutes and turn on/turn off the car.

I see you have visited your dealer for various reason but obviously I'm anxious to see what happened to you in this particular case: what they fixed, time you spent without the car.

I'd appreciate all references your could share so I can forward to my dealer because they are completely lost..

Thanks in advance for all your help,
Tomas
Appreciate 0