BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #23
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
These are two different things, and you’ve just stated it. If you connect to the car’s hotspot, then you’re doing the same thing you would at your home.

As I stated before...the car communicates with your iPhone via Bluetooth initially. Once it recognizes the CarPlay connection, they handoff to WiFi. You are not using a hotspot for CarPlay, it is your phone data. I do not have a paid hotspot for my vehicle and use CarPlay. CarPlay does not transmit data via Bluetooth, since Apple utilizes AirPlay. AirPlay is a WiFi driven connection. This allows for a lossless transmission of audio.

I hate to say it, but if you were sold the hotspot under the impression it was needed for CarPlay...you got played. Again, check the two WiFi names. They’re different.
I don’t know why you insist saying that I’m telling anywhere that I need hotspot to use CarPlay. Again, I never told that. Never. Yet I have to tell you that over and over again.

I’m happy you used AirPlay as I hope you understand the concept.
If you have a home WiFi with AppleTv your phone can connect to that AppleTV, right? If you do that, your phone connects to AppleTV AND Internet using the same WiFi connection (MAGIC!), right? If you unplug that WiFi from internet, you will still be able to connect to AppleTV because it’s handled over your local network.
This is the EXACTLY same situation like with your CarPlay. It uses the same WiFi which either is or is not connected to internet. It’s that simple and I can’t understand why your saying it can’t happen.

I’m just saying that if that cars WiFi is connected to the internet and phone is using that connection, CarPlay works better for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:30 AM   #24
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Just a thought. I have multiple CP issues in the no hotspot scenario when using an auto connecting VPN on my iPhone.

With the VPN disabled CP is rock solid. Zero issues with 11/2019.34 and iOS 13.3

Is there really a use case for the Wi-fi hotspot? It's ridiculously expensive, everyone has cheap data and a personal hotspot capability these days, so I miss the point?

BMW should make it free and even then I'm not sure I'd use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #25
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

As you can see below I've attached screenshots from today's test.

The first two are screengrabs from phone (when you press power+volume up button it creates two images of the phone and carplay screen).

You can see that I turned off the cellular data (first option, sorry in Polish but "Dane sieci kom." means "cellular data") meaning that my phone is unable to use cellular for internet - it can use only wifi it is connected to (which is car's hotpost). As you can see - it's still streaming music. That is obvious - I don't understand why you disagree on that.

On the next attachments you see my options screens from my Com settings - I don't see an option where you can decide what will be the name for your hotspot. It's only password. You said VTENGR that you can change the name of the hotspot - can you tell me where is that option?

In the last attachment you can see my phones settings. You can see that is uses CarPlay AND has enabled internat access through WiFi hotspot.

I hope it's clear now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #26
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Are you playing music that is downloaded?

At the end of the day, you are connecting your phone to your car’s paid WiFi subscription. It’s your money to waste, not mine. I’ve never had a WiFi hotspot active subscription or trial in this BMW or my previous, both with wireless CarPlay. Mine still works. All you’re doing is adding an extra, redundant step...which is costing you another $20 a month to do something that can be done without it. I’m just telling you that you don’t need to do that.

WiFi is required for CarPlay. That is not the same as a hotspot. CarPlay only requires the car’s WiFi capability as an access point to transmit data from the phone to the head unit. Hotspot and Access point are not the same thing. You’re confused by the word WiFi on there. I’m sure there’s other people on here with no active hotspot subscription who will tell you they’re using CarPlay without it. I’ll send you some screenshots laters.

Again, you are just adding a middle man to the connection. This would be the same as myself using my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my other iPhone to the internet. It works, but it’s an extra, unnecessary step.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:00 AM   #27
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Just a thought. I have multiple CP issues in the no hotspot scenario when using an auto connecting VPN on my iPhone.

With the VPN disabled CP is rock solid. Zero issues with 11/2019.34 and iOS 13.3

Is there really a use case for the Wi-fi hotspot? It's ridiculously expensive, everyone has cheap data and a personal hotspot capability these days, so I miss the point?

BMW should make it free and even then I'm not sure I'd use it.
Absolutely agree. I would expect it to work properly. I don't use VPN on my phone so that's not the case.

I use iPhone X which is about 2,5 years old and from my experience I have a theory that the cuts happen often if the battery is lower (and the CPU is "working slower").
I'm also on the July version of iDrive (not November like you) which also might make a difference but I believe it's more about the phone and the way it is connected.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #28
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you playing music that is downloaded?

At the end of the day, you are connecting your phone to your car’s paid WiFi subscription. It’s your money to waste, not mine. I’ve never had a WiFi hotspot active subscription or trial in this BMW or my previous, both with wireless CarPlay. Mine still works. All you’re doing is adding an extra, redundant step...which is costing you another $20 a month to do something that can be done without it. I’m just telling you that you don’t need to do that.

WiFi is required for CarPlay. That is not the same as a hotspot. CarPlay only requires the car’s WiFi capability as an access point to transmit data from the phone to the head unit. Hotspot and Access point are not the same thing. You’re confused by the word WiFi on there. I’m sure there’s other people on here with no active hotspot subscription who will tell you they’re using CarPlay without it. I’ll send you some screenshots laters.

Again, you are just adding a middle man to the connection. This would be the same as myself using my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my other iPhone to the internet. It works, but it’s an extra, unnecessary step.
randybobandy - have you read any of my posts? Seriously. I'm saying for the third time - YES, I'm aware that I don't need Wifi hotspot to have CarPlay working. I used to do that for months before. I just found out when I was testing the hotspot that CarPlay works better when I use BMW WiFi hotspot. That doesn't mean that it didn't work before, it works BETTER now, without any cuts in streamed music.

You say that my phone is using cellular while being connected to cars hotspot which is an absurd. I proved you that by showing that I stream music (STREAM, not downloaded music) still while having cellular data turned off and you still continue saying that it's not happening. I showed you the options in the car which clearly stay that the phone has access to the internet THROUGH BMW WiFi hotspot and you still don't believe neither me or the car. Wow...

I think that is EOT from my side.

Last edited by mgnmpl; 01-23-2020 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #29
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
I’m using paid WiFi subscription for couple of days now. Now cuts whatsoever. It works perfectly.

I think there might be a problem on the phone side that when it’s using a WiFi (but without subscription to a provider), it has to use cellular network at the same time to connect to the internet (because WiFi is used only for CarPlay). I believe iPhone have a problem to handle that.

If the whole connection is done through WiFi (with the car AND internet) it’s better handled by the phone. We all blamed BMW but I think most of CarPlay issues are Apple issues.
Again, this makes no sense. You’re phone is using WiFi in both instances. So it can’t be a phone issue. It cuts out sporadically, which unless it is isolated, can’t be said it works on one way or the other better. Your phone uses cellular to stream, use Siri, and iMessage. It needs to be connected to the internet somehow. You choose to use the paid WiFi as your means to access the internet. I use the cellphone’s connection. Your problem is your cell carrier must have a crap connection if you are trying to find the culprit. I’m not trying to be an ass, but if you’re paying $20 a month for the hotspot to use CarPlay, that’s on you.

What are your cellular settings? I know it is not the same as mine in the US. I’m just trying to help you...not attacking you. Either lay blame with the cell carrier or BMW and Apple. When do you have cut outs? Streaming Music? If so, try downloading the songs instead?

Forgot to ask, which phone are you using? Apple is apparently having issue with CarPlay and the iPhone 11.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #30
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Going back to the beginning of the thread - it cuts either if I stream or if I play downloaded songs. But ONLY if I'm using cellular data on the phone and not the car's hotspot.

You're sure it's a car's fault. With my experience in IT I'm not so sure.

I will update this thread when I'll update iDrive to Nov version or if I switch my phone to something newer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Going back to the beginning of the thread - it cuts either if I stream or if I play downloaded songs. But ONLY if I'm using cellular data on the phone and not the car's hotspot.

You're sure it's a car's fault. With my experience in IT I'm not so sure.

I will update this thread when I'll update iDrive to Nov version or if I switch my phone to something newer.
I'm wondering if what's cutting out is the cell service and not the wireless carplay itself. Maybe what's happening is you have spotty cell service, but when you connect to your cars hotspot, you're not using the cell service of the hotspot - which could have a stronger signal than you cell phone carrier. If both are the same, then nix that theory.

WRT the hotspot SSID and wireless carplay - at least on my vehicle, they're one in the same. I activated my trial subscription to the hotspot last night and this morning my car was connected, using wifi, to the same Direct-BMW-#### SSID then when I was connecting to just CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
mgnmpl28.00
      01-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #32
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

VTENGR - thanks for actually checking that for yourself

In regard to the cellular, the carrier is the same but for sure the car has stronger antenna than a small phone hidden in the middle of my pocket. That's one thing.
The other thing is that I believe that it's very uncommon for the phone to be connected to WiFi and use cellular data for internet at the same time. This scenario almost never happen and I believe the phone and how it handles network traffic might not be optimized for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #33
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

mgnmpl Your iPhone can and will use cellular in conjunction with WiFi...check WiFi Assist in your cellular settings. I have no idea which point you are trying to make. Are you just making a declaration that you connected to the hotspot to get "internet access" and use that as a means to use CarPlay? I went into my car, and ran through the same set up you claim you have problems with. I stated earlier that my CarPlay on 11/2019.xx from 07/2019.xx has quick cuts, which are similar to Bluetooth cut outs.

If you're trying to say this is a work-around to connect to your vehicle's WiFi Hotspot then great. Explain the iPhone Setting WiFi Assist, which states "Automatically use cellular data when WiFi connectivity is poor". Start a poll to see who uses their iPhone with CarPlay and not connected to the wifi subscription and is able to somehow use Siri, stream music, and send iMessages.

Again, I am glad you found a fix to the issue. I think you need to understand CarPlay, the hand-off, and actual transmission of data...be it from the phone to the head unit or "internet" to phone. Your method is not incorrect, it's just an extra step. I did not have the issues similar to you until the November update. iPhone works in every other connection...bluetooth headphones and speakers, as well as connection to AirPlay devices (same concept as CarPlay wifi connection). Don't want to argue with out, but you asked for feedback...I told you I had the same issues and it seems to be the BMW software...not the iPhone or Verizon Cell Service. I would check to see if you have WiFi Assist enabled, which is a piece of junk option when in a wifi environment.

TL;DR...you asked for feedback, you got it. You answered your own problem by adding an additional step. Wi-Fi is an overarching technology that both "assist" with CarPlay and the Hotspot. All you've done is made a hotspot connection in your car and connected your phone to it and accomplished the same goal. Look into the function of the LTE booster, which I believe was discussed on here and utilized by placing your phone in the charging tray.

To back up my point, see references below.

From Apple:
"Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad Air or later, iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later) and requires internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply."

From BMW Manual:
"Using CarPlay can incur mobile telephony costs. These costs are not a part of the option vehicle feature."

Additional Information
How Does the Connection Work?

The connection needs in-vehicle Wi-Fi, as Bluetooth alone isn’t robust enough. The latter enables phone calls or streaming music, but it ultimately supports relatively little data. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto need a hardier connection — the impetus behind a physical cable in the first place, which both systems required at inception. A Wi-Fi connection to the multimedia system through an in-vehicle router accommodates more data. It’s the “only wireless protocol that has enough bandwidth to support phone mirroring,” explained David Amodeo, J.D. Power’s director of global automotive.

The downside of such a data-intensive connection? It kills your battery. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto can exact such a heavy drain that we’ve observed phones tethered to older-generation USB ports lose their battery charge while using the systems, so robust charging sources are a must. Wireless charging pads have answered the call — a feature that’s proliferated across the industry, especially in cars with wireless Apple CarPlay.

Does the Connection Require a Paid Subscription to the Car’s Wi-Fi?

No. The Wi-Fi hot spot is separate, enabling devices inside the car to go online without using cellular data. Cars with it generally charge a monthly subscription fee after a free trial period, but BMW and Audi both confirmed the subscription need not be active for wireless Apple CarPlay to work.

That said, your car may require a paid subscription to keep Apple CarPlay active in any form. Most automakers don’t tie CarPlay to a subscription, but BMW requires you to pay after the first year of ownership, and Mini requires it after the first four years.

One final caveat: Without any active Wi-Fi hot spot in the car, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will likely use your phone’s cellular data regardless of whether it’s through a USB cord or wireless connection. That, of course, may result in you incurring extra charges on your cellphone bill depending on data usage.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #34
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

I only made an observation that if I do not use my phones cellular data but instead use cars hotspot (meaning my phone will be connected to the internet through cars hotspot) then my CarPlay works better. I don’t know how I could make that more clear.

If you experience the cut outs and you say that you didn’t test the hotspot yet then just check it out and see if you experience the same.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #35
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Oh and yes, my cut outs are exactly like those when you use BT headphones but they sometimes happen for like 10-15 seconds (many, very short). I don’t fully understand the why they happen and what’s the scheme here. I know that they happen both with streamed music and downloaded on the phone music. But I know that if I use cars hotspot - they disappear completely. Like zero cut outs.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:02 PM   #36
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

I think this is just a product of apple update their iOS software, and bmw updating theirs. they dont talk to each other, and could probably careless. all we can do is report it to BMW/apple. it's a pain in the ass, but I bookmark apple and bmw's respective customer service contact form/feedback form. hopefully it gets to someone, but who knows. im glad you found a workaround...it sounds like your cut outs are worse than I was experiencing. as for the LTE booster in the car...I would have to check if placing it in the charging pad does anything.

now, if we use bmw personal assistant...I wonder how much of that is processed offline? I would love to use idrive instead of CarPlay, but can't accomplish all I would like. it's amazing how many variants/different applications for use we have with our mobile devices and how we drive. my apologizes for misunderstanding you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #37
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think this is just a product of apple update their iOS software, and bmw updating theirs. they dont talk to each other, and could probably careless. all we can do is report it to BMW/apple. it's a pain in the ass, but I bookmark apple and bmw's respective customer service contact form/feedback form. hopefully it gets to someone, but who knows. im glad you found a workaround...it sounds like your cut outs are worse than I was experiencing. as for the LTE booster in the car...I would have to check if placing it in the charging pad does anything.

now, if we use bmw personal assistant...I wonder how much of that is processed offline? I would love to use idrive instead of CarPlay, but can't accomplish all I would like. it's amazing how many variants/different applications for use we have with our mobile devices and how we drive. my apologizes for misunderstanding you.
I’m glad we found a common ground (I’m not sure if that’s what I should say but I hope you understand what I mean )
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #38
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I’m glad we found a common ground (I’m not sure if that’s what I should say but I hope you understand what I mean )
Ha no problem! That's the problem with typing, researching, and debating. If it works, do it. If it ain't broke...don't fix it. I am hoping they fix my method with some updates! Not sure if you have the capability, but do you get WiFi calling while connected to the hotspot? The quality makes a huge improvement from the regular cell connection when VoLTE is not available.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:49 AM   #39
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ha no problem! That's the problem with typing, researching, and debating. If it works, do it. If it ain't broke...don't fix it. I am hoping they fix my method with some updates! Not sure if you have the capability, but do you get WiFi calling while connected to the hotspot? The quality makes a huge improvement from the regular cell connection when VoLTE is not available.
I use WiFi while calling but cannot tell if that’s used when using cars WiFi. I don’t know if there is a way to check that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #40
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I use WiFi while calling but cannot tell if that’s used when using cars WiFi. I don’t know if there is a way to check that.
Not sure if it would be the same, but here in the US on Verizon (which could even be different than other US carriers), it should say at the top. On the iPhone X and up, it should be in the top left where it has your carrier name. For instance, normally mine will say "Verizon" if it is not WiFi calling. On WiFi calling, it will say "VZW Wi-Fi".

If you have wifi calling as an option on your carrier, definitely worth it. In your iPhone, go to Settings then Cellular. You will see the option to enable WiFi Calling. Once on, you will notice a HUGE difference. It sounds like a landline when calling. Also, not sure if you have Voice Over LTE (VoLTE), which does the same quality calling on LTE. Should be in the same screen...Settings then Cellular, then go to Cellular Data Options. At the top, you will see Voice & Data...should give you an option to have voice and data on the higher quality (LTE). You probably knew this already, but I always love telling people about it...especially if I talk on the phone with them...quality is top notch!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:53 AM   #41
x5legend24
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I would imagine that using or not using the cars wireless hotspot shouldn't matter. The car receives OTA signal the same as your phone. If your phone has poor service and cuts out your car wifi likely will too in the same area.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 05:54 AM   #42
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

There’s an LTE antenna built into the vehicle, which is much beefier. I can’t remember if it’s in the shark fin or the rear glass. Apparently, it is supposed to boost your cell service on your phone if you place it in the wireless tray.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #43
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

I didn't get the in car hot spot wifi service.

I found "un-checking" the "Enable Internet access" with my iPhone connected makes the CarPlay connection more stable.

Anyone else find this method the same?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #44
mgnmpl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
I didn't get the in car hot spot wifi service.

I found "un-checking" the "Enable Internet access" with my iPhone connected makes the CarPlay connection more stable.

Anyone else find this method the same?
I will check that when my monthly WiFi plan ends. For now, after two weeks of testing WiFi hotspot my CarPlay has NEVER had any issues. No cuts, not disconnections - nothing. It works like it should and like you’d expect it working from the beginning.

I would prefere not to pay $15 a month for that pleasure though so I will try once again without paid hotspot.
Appreciate 0