04-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #24
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
I enjoyed my 2004 & 2014 X5's, both with 4.4 V8's but they started to look like all the other SUV's on the road, especially the "hockey stick" rear taillights. I really like the redesign of my 2020 X6 M50i & it gives me that exclusivity that I like. The power and handling of a vehicle that size is unreal. LOVE IT
Well, I'm with puckybadger, but I'm biased as well, as I just took delivery of my X6, M50i on 3/28. As has been said by many: "Too each their own" and reactions to the X6 are either that you love it or you hate it. That's because it's "different"...and "different" always gets that reaction.

My thoughts:
- I had an E70 X5 (35d) and an F15 X5 (35d). Loved them both. Love the new X6 even more. It may not technically have better drive dynamics, but it feels like it does. Center of gravity has to be slightly lower with less cabin up high...I've also driven several G05 X5's as loaners over the past few months...they feel very different. Again, could just be a feel thing.
- Also agree with the desire to have some exclusivity. Not many X6's driving around.
- I didn't like the previous X6 models as well as the looks on this one...Love the grill on the new one, as I love the nod to the 8 Series
- BMW building an X8/X8M has zero to do with the X6. (I don't get the logic on that one...Are X5's crap because they built an X7??)
- The X6 does have the same 40/20/40 back seat folding as the X5. Not sure why that's mis-understood. (CarWow even says it does...)
- As far as the CarWow negatives:
-- The fold-up luggage cover. I'd tend to agree. It seems a little "cheap", compared to the roller one in the X5s. The "auto" one is available, but that would interfere with a full-sized cargo mat for me, so I didn't consider it...However, it easily folds over and I've yet to actually have the visibility block that he mentions. It could happen, but it's pretty obvious that it folds over.
-- Dirty sills. I agree in principle. It almost feels like the door isn't sealing, but then you realize where the seal is and how the door fits.
-- Lumbar support. Could be a difference between the UK spec and the USA spec. I got the Luxury Seating Package. Has lumbar support. Didn't note if others didn't...
-- Non B&W speaker cover. I hadn't actually noticed it. Nitpicking?
-- Digital Key Fob. Well, that doesn't come with the US Spec anyway. And, that's not unique to the X6. So, seems lame to mention that as a knock on the X6...

Other points in the CarWow video:
- Rear window visibility. He's absolutely correct. You have much, much less visibility out the back than the G05. (You have less out the front too, as the A pillars are a bit more "prominent".) It's a coupe "up top", so you get coupe visibility, not an SUV's visibility. I wouldn't get a G06 without the tech to give you all of the camera views. This visibility was the #1 item that made me "think" about whether or not I really wanted the G06 over the G05. In the end, the pluses far outweighed the minuses...)
- Non-functional rear vents. Agree. Why not make them functional? (Note: He didn't mention that the front vents right behind the front wheel wells aren't functional either. Are they functional on the G05? (I've never actually noticed...))
- Rear seating headroom. I'm 6'1" and fit just fine. While it's less than the G05, they sank the rear seats down a bit more to provide more headroom, as compared to the F16 and it makes a big difference in headroom.
- USB-C ports in the back of the front seats. Again, must be a difference between UK and US specs. I have Luxury Seating Package and have the USB-C jacks, just like the G05. No difference there...

Again, to each their own...
Appreciate 4
      04-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #25
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
Seriously, I thought a fair review, and he highlights some of the pro's and con's. It was a non-starter for me because of the boot size and rear headroom.

He didn't highlight what I feel is the biggest issue - the looks. It very much divides opinion, with few, it seems, ambivalent. While it looks better in person somehow, I'm definitely not a fan.
I love his reviews. Very fair IMO. I do wholeheartedly agree with the rear 'vents'. Why are they not functional? They need to be there to break up the empty space—just make them functional! Can't be that hard, can it?
It's all about the aerodynamics and drag. The car has to be wider there for the air to swirl a certain way behind it and if there were "real" openings it would behave differently. They're not there for looks.

"Real" is not always what we expect it to be. These vent looking features have their own purpose and are real in this regard...looks have nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2020, 02:00 AM   #26
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Very niche market. I personally buy an SUV/SAV for its utility first and foremost. Aesthetics and performance should come second. This car offers minimal extra utility over a regular 3 series in my opinion.
      04-23-2020, 02:23 AM   #27
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Are the driving dynamics really that different between X5 and X6?

Surely cannot be such a big difference as it's the same platform (I presume) maybe a touch stiffer if anything?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:43 AM   #28
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

The "Ultimate SUV" comment got my attention so cant resist chiming in. Here was my criteria for the ultimate SUV. It has to be off- road capable with a full size spare. It has to look good in valet at my favorite restaurant . It has to have good towing capability. It has to be comfortable on long trips and have all the creature comfort's. Finally it has to get decent MPG because it's my daily. What did I choose? Drum roll please....the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with a turbo diesel.

I know , I know. But In (my opinion) Grand Cherokees have great lines and proportions. I actually off-road my SUV and with 5 inches of additional ground clearance via air lift, electronic locking axles, full skid plate group, factory rock rails and a low range transfer case there's not much it won't go over or through. With 430 lbs of twist It can easily tow 5,000 lbs. With air suspension it feels like well...like your riding on air. It has all the luxury items a sane person could want and It returns an average of 25 MPG. $50k out the door.

With that said I would love me a BMW X6 in my garage if I had the coin. Wow...Talk about presence !!
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1105.50
      04-23-2020, 05:09 AM   #29
gigliosa
Italy
Rep
Drives: X6 3.0d Xdrive (G06)

X6 weight 100kg less as X5 and the lower cabin result in a lower bariceter, all these things contribute to a better drive handling in cornering and braking.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:14 AM   #30
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigliosa View Post
X6 weight 100kg less as X5 and the lower cabin result in a lower bariceter, all these things contribute to a better drive handling in cornering and braking.
Again i’d say its wishful thinking... weight difference is 50 pounds not kilos. Braking, acceleration and cornering is identical with equally equipped cars between x5 and x6
If BMW chief engineer can not tell the difference I’m sure we can Not

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...rch-of-a-track
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      04-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
Bristle Hound
In The Dog House ...
Rep
Drives: MY23 BMW X5 xDrive30d M Sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
I'd rather have an X5.
This ^ 100%
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #32
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If every driver were motivated by practical considerations, we would all be driving standard minivans and of course high performance ///Minivans. Enter X6 (and other vehicles in its class) to appeal to other side of the brain. I wouldn't buy one but will be exceedingly happy for someone who does. It's a great vehicle with enough emotional appeal to make new owners feel very comfortable about the purchase decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #33
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigliosa View Post
Mine also has DHP. I do think I can feel the Integral Active Steering, rear wheels going opposite of fronts, thru the curves on the Interstate. LOVE IT.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:17 PM   #34
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I won’t comment on the looks, since that is so personal. But let’s have a reality check.

To anyone claiming they can tell the driving difference between an identically equipped X5 and X6 I’ll say one word: placebo.

The argument for reduced weight is absolutely correct in theoretical terms. But irrelevant in practical terms. 50lbs on a 5,000lbs vehicle is a 1% weight reduction, which none of us posting on the forum can detect in a driving test, guaranteed.

For instance, yesterday I installed a set of BMW OEM M Performance carbon fiber mirror caps on my M3 - it now handles better since they are lighter. Also, the CG has been lowered, bonus all around.

Enjoy the visuals folks, don’t worry about the handling improvement over the X5.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #35
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

I just watched the carwow video on YouTube, and I think it's pretty balanced. The reviewer wasn't really biased toward one way or the other, but in general, most reviewers on YouTube usually try not to trash a vehicle too much even if they don't like it at all. For some reasons, I just didn't like this reviewer putting his foot on the side skirt, but I wish the G06 M-Sport has a running board. I'm just 5'7, so I sometimes have troubles entering and getting off the vehicle. The rear seats are fine for me and my family, since my Wife and I are not that tall.

From a business perspective, you've gotta have a product that appeals to a certain audience. Obviously, the market size for a coupe-like SUV/SAV is sufficient enough for car manufacturers like BMW, Mercedes, and Audi to build a vehicle in this segment. Over a long-run, I don't know whether car manufacturers will continue to produce to this type of vehicle, so we will have to see.

For me, G06 is my first BMW, first vehicle with a coupe-style, and first vehicle with high ground clearance compared to a traditional sedan/coupe. I always wanted to try a coupe-style vehicle but had missed two opportunities in the the past 15 years. As I get older and have changing family/personal needs over time, it is just not feasible for me to get a regular 2-door coupe or 4-door grand coupe like the 4 series. If I don't try a coupe-style vehicle now, then I probably won't have another opportunity in the next 10-15 years because of children growing up, so I think the G06 is a good compromise for now. And this is the reason why I lease my G06 instead of buying. This is my first leased vehicle, ever.

Also, NYC's road condition is notoriously bad. In the past, when I ran into a pot hole or very uneven road with a sporty sedan, I would be asking myself why am I not driving a SUV. Having owned a G06 with air suspension for about two months (thought I didn't drive too much because of COVID-19), I could actually feel much less bumpy when my G06 runs over the same pot holes or uneven roads in my neighborhood. Also, it's psychological thing, I always feel that a vehicle with higher ground clearance can run through snow better.

I like the look of the G06 *a lot*. Sometimes, I can't even stop staring at the rear, which is the most attractive in my view. The rear looks very futuristic and modern. Not a lot of G06 in New York City, and my G06 gets a lot of attention on streets. Not that I care about how people on the streets see my G06 , the G06 is just aesthetically appealing to me. Yes, I do want power but I don't need a V8 or a M version. The I6 twin-power turbo is sufficient for me. If the G06 were a 4-cylinder, forget it then. My preference is the look (both interior and exterior) and power. I wish the G06 had a larger panoramic sunroof but understand the sloping rooftop is the constraint. Practicality is second though G06 has sufficient trunk space for my needs, but this might change over time as I mentioned above.

No regret leasing the G06. I tried the Q8 prior and the equivalent-comfort mode of the Q8 is just weak to me. I turned on the sport mode on the Q8 and I still could not feel the power that I wanted. However, I have zero complaint on the G06 in comfort mode; it's still responsive and I didn't feel any lag. I did try the sport mode for a minute or two (because I haven't reached break-in yet) and I could feel that the G06 turned into a different animal. I can't wait until break in. Lastly, I like the M-sport brake and it's very responsive. To me, I feel like I'm driving a sport car though it's a SUV/SAV physically.

Anyway, I write too much and I will stop now.

Last edited by doctorttt; 04-23-2020 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
BDO276.00
      04-25-2020, 03:52 AM   #36
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

I've loved the X6 ever since the first iteration. I've been driving coupes, roadsters and sedans my whole life, and recently started to get slightly envious of the seating position and the ingress/egress ease when driving my wife's Q7.

However I wouldn't be able to stomach looking at the raised station wagon of a X5 every day. X6 allows me to experience the SUV benefits with the aesthetic I actually enjoy, so it works.

I don't think I'll be in a SUV again though, as I now miss the dynamics of a car every time I drive one, even if it's an underpowered 320 or the like.
Appreciate 0