10-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #89
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
To accomplish pre-record (a few seconds prior to trigger event, a common practical necessity), it needs to record all the time, hence the battery concern.

Yes, you can trigger the app to take a remote 3D view and it even works sometimes. Wish I could show you remote 3D view from the BMW Connected app, but alas, I am on iOS 14.0.1 so the views are all grey for me right now. Here is someone else's random example.

Thanks for the try, that picture looks like it's showing you at least some image, is that from your phone now?

I didn't mean pre-record but at least start recording, it's better than nothing.
Do you guys use an actual dashcam on your X5s? I hard-wired one on my Q7, only to find out Q7 cuts power to most fuses completely when Auto Start/Stop activates (not when it shuts down, but when it re-starts, I guess it stops everything else to achieve quicker auto-start). So everytime it starts, it cuts off the video and causes dashcam to restart. Otherwise I would need to wire it to "always on" fuse which runs the risk of draining the battery, and I didn't have enough room in the fuse box area to use a low-voltage cut off chip which costs like $10 on Amazon.

I heard there are some newer and smarter dashcams that has this built in but most people don't trust those and don't want to be stranded with drained battery. This is one reason I was hoping I could use the drive recorder to almost completely eliminate the dashcam, but it sounds like that's the case.
      10-05-2020, 02:42 AM   #90
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Also, it doesn't need to record all the time. Just keep the motion sensor powered, if it senses a bump or hit, activate cameras and record for 30 seconds or 1 minute, maybe we can catch the hit and run driver.
There could easily be a 2-3 second delay from the bump the the moment when all the required computers, cameras and the hard disk are up and running and a lot can happen during that time. :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #91
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

So no further updates to the Remote 3D fix yet then??
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #92
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the try, that picture looks like it's showing you at least some image, is that from your phone now?

I didn't mean pre-record but at least start recording, it's better than nothing.
Do you guys use an actual dashcam on your X5s? I hard-wired one on my Q7, only to find out Q7 cuts power to most fuses completely when Auto Start/Stop activates (not when it shuts down, but when it re-starts, I guess it stops everything else to achieve quicker auto-start). So everytime it starts, it cuts off the video and causes dashcam to restart. Otherwise I would need to wire it to "always on" fuse which runs the risk of draining the battery, and I didn't have enough room in the fuse box area to use a low-voltage cut off chip which costs like $10 on Amazon.

I heard there are some newer and smarter dashcams that has this built in but most people don't trust those and don't want to be stranded with drained battery. This is one reason I was hoping I could use the drive recorder to almost completely eliminate the dashcam, but it sounds like that's the case.
I have the drive recorder active, but I prefer something that's always recording on a loop TBH. Hence Ive been using the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 Dash Cam, which I had BMW fit into the car before I picked it up. Covers front and rear (rear not so good with teh tinted glass however) but hasnt caused any issues.
When the car is switched off it goes into parking mode and records on motion (most of the time!).
My car is generally only used on the weekends (its a second car) and I haven't had any issues with battery drain etc.....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #93
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I've just had BMW carry out a software update whilst the car was in for another issue and was told that BMW hasn't caught up with their side yet (whatever that means) and also Apple's latest release isn't compatible with their App either so 3D wont work for us! Now correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't some of you UK'ers had 3D working? I never have, neither has the App worked for very long, hopefully that's resolved now. We need Apples 14.2 here in the UK but we've only just gotten 14.1
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #94
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
I have the drive recorder active, but I prefer something that's always recording on a loop TBH. Hence Ive been using the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 Dash Cam, which I had BMW fit into the car before I picked it up. Covers front and rear (rear not so good with teh tinted glass however) but hasnt caused any issues.
When the car is switched off it goes into parking mode and records on motion (most of the time!).
My car is generally only used on the weekends (its a second car) and I haven't had any issues with battery drain etc.....

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize BMW made dashcam. At $450 kinda steep for something that doesn't have a display and needs wire running from front the back. I guess it's a deal if they didn't charge you add'l installation fee for this.

Some of the other car makers have dashcams that go into mirror housing that makes it blend in.

If there is an easy way to route cables in the back, I might just toss a $100 dashcam on the back like I did on my Q7, I remove the tailgate trim and D pillar panel and run the wire around, it looked clean and works fine, but of course it doesn't sync front/back.

Other option is to keep the stationary damage deductible at $500. Otherwise we are just helping the insurance company by installing the dashcam that works while parked. Maybe the insurance companies should send us the dashcams for free on full coverage low deductible plans.
      10-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #95
docklevi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M50i, 2020 440i conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnedd View Post
BMW Connected - Remote 3D View is still not working in IOS14 General Release.
My remote 3D view worked fine until I upgraded to IOS 14 and and still doesn't work after upgrading to IOS 14.0.1. My BMW Genius said I'll most likely have to wait until the My BMW app is released to the US market. At least I can stop wasting hours trying to get it to work since I now know its not just me having problems with it!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #96
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by docklevi View Post
Quote:
My remote 3D view worked fine until I upgraded to IOS 14 and and still doesn't work after upgrading to IOS 14.0.1. My BMW Genius said I'll most likely have to wait until the My BMW app is released to the US market. At least I can stop wasting hours trying to get it to work since I now know its not just me having problems with it!
Quote:
Quote:
It will be resolved with iOS 14.2. BMW connected drive support acknowledged this.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #97
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
It will be resolved in iOS 14.2 when its released generally.

I have iOs 14.2 beta installed and can confirm it works as before.
Appreciate 2
marcosg24.50
kmnedd3.00
      10-06-2020, 03:47 AM   #98
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize BMW made dashcam. At $450 kinda steep for something that doesn't have a display and needs wire running from front the back. I guess it's a deal if they didn't charge you add'l installation fee for this.

Some of the other car makers have dashcams that go into mirror housing that makes it blend in.

If there is an easy way to route cables in the back, I might just toss a $100 dashcam on the back like I did on my Q7, I remove the tailgate trim and D pillar panel and run the wire around, it looked clean and works fine, but of course it doesn't sync front/back.

Other option is to keep the stationary damage deductible at $500. Otherwise we are just helping the insurance company by installing the dashcam that works while parked. Maybe the insurance companies should send us the dashcams for free on full coverage low deductible plans.
Yes it is a little expensive, although I managed to get mine half price with free installation as I had them do it before I took delivery of the vehicle...

Honestly, there's nothing special to it over others. You can connect to it via your smartphone and wifi, but that's not the most reliable. I still tend to remove the card and use my laptop if I need to view back any footage to be honest.

I just wanted to keep everything 'BMW' and only went for it because I got a deal on it. All cabling was installed behind panels etc, so you dont see any cabling either. Otherwise I would have gone elsewhere. Have tested a few others and they are all quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pmwvM9dYkRunp9
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #99
kmnedd
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X4 M Competition

I can also confirm the issue is solved in iOS 14.2 beta 2.
      10-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #100
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

same here. Lets hope its updated soon. I want to take advantage of this feature!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #101
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Well fcuk my old boot, my 3D is up and running, first time its ever worked. Its not that exciting to look at though so anyone still having trouble, don't worry as your not really missing anything
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      10-15-2020, 06:22 AM   #102
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Its not that exciting to look at though so anyone still having trouble, don't worry as your not really missing anything
I was excited to find out that mine was parked in Germany, BMW Welt

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      10-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #103
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep that's where mine has been until yesterday, I'm expecting a message from BMW Welt thanking me for collecting my car

Last edited by Addbuyer; 10-15-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      10-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #104
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^lol maybe thats why mine took so long in transit

anyone know when 14.2 is going to be released?

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #105
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
^^lol maybe thats why mine took so long in transit

anyone know when 14.2 is going to be released?
14.2 developer beta 3 dropped this week, so possibly a few more weeks.

14.1 went GA on Tuesday, so upgrade to that and see if it works.

Given mine now works as of beta 2 and my CD app is the same general version from 3 weeks ago, I wonder: Is the issue really the CD app?

EDIT: Sorry, the 14.1 GM went out - not to consumers yet. Might be another week for that, likely to coincide with the iPhone 12 ship date.
      10-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #106
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
14.2 developer beta 3 dropped this week, so possibly a few more weeks.

14.1 went GA on Tuesday, so upgrade to that and see if it works.

Given mine now works as of beta 2 and my CD app is the same general version from 3 weeks ago, I wonder: Is the issue really the CD app?
ahh maybe ill have the new iPhone 12 by then.

I asked our service dir to look into it and he thinks it def has something to do with the app itself. He was thinking the updated 14.1 update must have had issues with the app and the app needs to update on their end. Hopefully one or the other gets fixed soon I want to use that feature

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #107
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
ahh maybe ill have the new iPhone 12 by then.

I asked our service dir to look into it and he thinks it def has something to do with the app itself. He was thinking the updated 14.1 update must have had issues with the app and the app needs to update on their end. Hopefully one or the other gets fixed soon I want to use that feature
Yeah, that would be my inclination as well, but the timeline indicates otherwise.
  • 13.6, worked fine
  • 14 beta, stopped working. Someone noted changes to AV foundation in iOS 14
  • CD app updates, saying they are working with Apple
  • iOS 14.2 beta 2 comes out, suddenly starts working (using "broken" CD app version)

If you want to test, the 14.2 beta 3 public beta is also out. You don't need a developer account to download it.
      10-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #108
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Yeah, that would be my inclination as well, but the timeline indicates otherwise.
  • 13.6, worked fine
  • 14 beta, stopped working. Someone noted changes to AV foundation in iOS 14
  • CD app updates, saying they are working with Apple
  • iOS 14.2 beta 2 comes out, suddenly starts working (using "broken" CD app version)

If you want to test, the 14.2 beta 3 public beta is also out. You don't need a developer account to download it.
Timeline is exactly right, it started working on 14.2 beta 2 without updating app

My current app version is 10.9.1990 and can confirm 3D view is working with iphone 14.2 beta 3.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #109
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

Just updated iPhone to iOS 14.1 and remote 3d camera images now up and running again
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      10-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #110
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Yes, I can confirm this. After updating to 14.1 it works again.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50