BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Tip on spy cam? (For service and time I am NOT in car)

Hi any tips?

They scratch my car in service and didnt confess so from that time I would like some spy cam which I put in car in time I am not inside - while its in service, pneuservice, mb when I park somewhere when is more risk or something etc.

I dont think that normal dash camera is the way - its visible and during ride I have drive recorder.

Best would be wireless and with mobile app-to download in phone.

Regards

BF
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
If you think a normal dash cam would prevent these events from happening because it's visible, then that's a very solid argument for getting one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I agree.

My current setup is as follows:

Thinkware U1000 Front and Rear camera
Celllink Neo external Battery

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...cloud-dash-cam

This setup records motion/impact while the car is parked for about 12-15hours without affecting the car's battery at all. Pretty much all modern BMW's will need a external battery pack if you don't want to run into battery discharge issues. When the car is running that's the only time it will charge the external battery pack.

Some dash cams even allows you to upload directly into the cloud so you can view the footage if you have a hotspot in the car. I thought about doing this while leaving my company phone inside the car when I am out. Would come in handy lets say if you are bringing your car in for service and you just leave spare phone hidden inside the car so your dash cam can upload footage. You can even double up on the external battery pack so get even longer recording times.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 12-07-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

With respect to service, some dealers have been known to unplug dashcams...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      12-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Yes.
I found out when I had small accident, then I found out that it was unplugged.
So I don't have proof to my insurance that it wasn't my wrong doing.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Yes.
I found out when I had small accident, then I found out that it was unplugged.
So I don't have proof to my insurance that it wasn't my wrong doing.
Thats exactly the reason I am looking for spy cams like :

https://spyassociates.com/minicube-1...nd-by-battery/

or

https://spyassociates.com/teddy-bear...andby-battery/

Or so. Because normal dash camp would be unplugged + I hate these another cables and holders in car. I love it let it clear.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      12-08-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I agree.

My current setup is as follows:

Thinkware U1000 Front and Rear camera
Celllink Neo external Battery

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...cloud-dash-cam

This setup records motion/impact while the car is parked for about 12-15hours without affecting the car's battery at all. Pretty much all modern BMW's will need a external battery pack if you don't want to run into battery discharge issues. When the car is running that's the only time it will charge the external battery pack.

Some dash cams even allows you to upload directly into the cloud so you can view the footage if you have a hotspot in the car. I thought about doing this while leaving my company phone inside the car when I am out. Would come in handy lets say if you are bringing your car in for service and you just leave spare phone hidden inside the car so your dash cam can upload footage. You can even double up on the external battery pack so get even longer recording times.

Alan
How does the external bsttery works?

Is it something like that?
https://blackvue.com/product/dr900x-2ch/

I prefare as much as wireless. I dont care about charging but I hate to let it connected somewhere + they can disconnect it.

OR Mb dash + hidden one 🤷🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
My dealer's service bay has a huge sign that says all dashcams and aftermarket electronics will be unplugged during service for employee safety. LOL more like to eliminate dealer employee liability when they scratch, break or damage something or they use your vehicle to run to the local drive thru. This way they can deny, deny, deny any wrong doing.

Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #9
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

There are privacy issues with recording people unknown to them in some areas. I would definitely check state and local laws before presenting something to management of a dealership, valet, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
There are privacy issues with recording people unknown to them in some areas. I would definitely check state and local laws before presenting something to management of a dealership, valet, etc.
You are probably correct. However, many dealers have cameras installed at their facilities anyways. Both inside the service area and outside as well. So what is the difference if the dashcam is capturing video? The employees know they are being watched by management. I see no signs on the dealer premises stating that if you are on the premises you are subject to being filmed. I am sure there are some legal beagles on here that may be able to explain implied privacy or no implied privacy.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post

I prefare as much as wireless. I dont care about charging but I hate to let it connected somewhere + they can disconnect it.

Yes. The one l linked and the one you posted are pretty much the two top premium dash cams on the market. In additional to the dash cam you will need either a Celllink Neo Battery or one made by Blackvue like this one:
https://blackvue.com/product/power-m...attery-b-124x/

You tap into the cars fuse panel and it will only draw power to charge the external battery when the engine is running. Once the engine turns off charging stops and the dash cam runs of the external battery only. The uniqueness of these external batteries is that they recharge quickly and builts handle being in a freezing or scorching hot car. I keep mine inside a Lipo battery bag under the trunk floor as a extra layer of protection. Had this setup in the last 3 bmws and zero issues.

Alan
      12-09-2020, 01:50 AM   #12
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
But how can u protect ur car if you cant be in service and they fuck up your car? Or steal some part(s) etc.

They will NEVER confess that they did something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 01:54 AM   #13
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post

Yes. The one l linked and the one you posted are pretty much the two top premium dash cams on the market. In additional to the dash cam you will need either a Celllink Neo Battery or one made by Blackvue like this one:
https://blackvue.com/product/power-m...attery-b-124x/

You tap into the cars fuse panel and it will only draw power to charge the external battery when the engine is running. Once the engine turns off charging stops and the dash cam runs of the external battery only. The uniqueness of these external batteries is that they recharge quickly and builts handle being in a freezing or scorching hot car. I keep mine inside a Lipo battery bag under the trunk floor as a extra layer of protection. Had this setup in the last 3 bmws and zero issues.

Alan
Can you please send me some pics how it is installed? + this battery. When you have time or course.
I would like know how to hide cables as much as possible.

Thx very much :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #14
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

i have a blackvue dash cam and its hardwired so it stays on after the car is turned off..

this is what i do when i drop the car off to the dealer for service

after i pull into the service area

i start a video on my phone which starts at the mileage on the dash
then i do a full walk around video of my whole car and zoom in on all wheels and bumpers.. i save the video on my phone and delete it when i pick up the car and i do a full walk around and check for damages when i pick up my car after service ..
the reason you would take a video of the mileage on the dash is when they check your car in they put the exact milage on the paperwork...so its proof of when you made the video...

my cousin has a jaguar f pace SVR and he did what i told him...
the tech scuffed one of the wheel when he backed out of the service bay and my cousin pulled out the phone showed it to management that it wasn't there when he dropped the car off and they had the wheel repaired no questions asked
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
BiGFather154.00