04-02-2024, 10:48 AM   #45
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 G05 LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Just an Update, I have had an ongoing issue since I picked up my new X5 with the instrument cluster and the heads up display going dark. Probably happened 20-30 times. (Happening before and after I swapped for the pre-lci gear shifter) Finally dropped the car for service, and just received a call that in order to diagnose the dashboard problem, first they must program the X5 to recognize the pre-lci gear shifter I installed. It's 265 an hour and will take 1.5 hours. Then once programed, they can investigate the dashboard going blank.
I thought of uninstalling the pre-lci, and putting in the LCI shifter before service, but decided not to. So it's my own fault, but just a heads up to anyone who did the swap, or is going to do the swap! If you need service, they will charge you, and as far as I know, there is still no software that is compatible with the LCI 2024 X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 11:24 AM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ///M View Post
Just an Update, I have had an ongoing issue since I picked up my new X5 with the instrument cluster and the heads up display going dark. Probably happened 20-30 times. (Happening before and after I swapped for the pre-lci gear shifter) Finally dropped the car for service, and just received a call that in order to diagnose the dashboard problem, first they must program the X5 to recognize the pre-lci gear shifter I installed. It's 265 an hour and will take 1.5 hours. Then once programed, they can investigate the dashboard going blank.
I thought of uninstalling the pre-lci, and putting in the LCI shifter before service, but decided not to. So it's my own fault, but just a heads up to anyone who did the swap, or is going to do the swap! If you need service, they will charge you, and as far as I know, there is still no software that is compatible with the LCI 2024 X5.
Sound reasonable from their viewpoint. I normally wait till warranty expires before I make noticeable modifications that may impact warranty. Still, having them reprogram to fit your mod may be a good idea in the long run. You get to keep your mod and you get proper supporting software and a continuation on your warranty. Doesn't sound so bad.
Appreciate 1
PJ///M75.50
      04-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #47
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
I agree. Hey, I did the mod and was aware of the risk. And there is piece of mind going forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 01:19 PM   #48
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

To me that's like a good thing; it's officially installed now and any hangups that might have otherwise occurred will have had the rug pulled out from under them.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:24 AM   #49
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Latest update, They have had my X5 since Monday, and now they are telling me that the pre LCI crystal shifter can not be programmed to my vehicle. They wont move forward with diagnosing the blank dash until they have me drop off the original shifter, charge 4.5 hours to install it (took me 45 minutes) and then 1.5 hours to program. Once this is done (6 hours at $265 an hour) then they will look at the dash. Until they fix the alert for gear shifter, they wont be able to see the alerts for the dashboard and driver assist errors.
Questions.
Why would the original LCI shifter need to be programmed again for 1.5 hours?
Isn’t there a book or manual somewhere that would lay out the approx time to install this shifter and show it doesn’t take 4.5 hours?
Cant they also see any errors or faulty alerts related to the dash going blank and driver assist not working in addition to the alert that it is not the proper gear shifter?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 02:25 PM   #50
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Final update.
Uninstalled and now selling. I don’t want the headache every time I need service.
Here is the link if interested.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=31048603
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 08:50 AM   #51
Di3s3l_Power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

That sucks, I agree with you… is not worth all the headaches from the dealer… of course they are milking $$$
Appreciate 1
PJ///M75.50
      04-12-2024, 06:05 PM   #52
Nufailmem
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 g05

Quote:
Final update.
Uninstalled and now selling. I don’t want the headache every time I need service.

Can you help me , remove the trims. Tell
me
how u did it, I saw the videos of a previous version and only removing trim doesnt do it, i tried removing the trim and saw another layer beneath
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 07:13 PM   #53
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufailmem View Post
Can you help me , remove the trims. Tell
me
how u did it, I saw the videos of a previous version and only removing trim doesnt do it, i tried removing the trim and saw another layer beneath
When you say the trims, do you mean the carpeting on either side?
When you remove the carpet trims, the next step is to remove the 2 small black star shaped screws from either side.
FYI, make sure you disconnect the battery before doing any of this. If you don’t, you can completely Brick your car and have to get it towed to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 12:54 AM   #54
crazyDriver_bimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
When you say the trims, do you mean the carpeting on either side?
When you remove the carpet trims, the next step is to remove the 2 small black star shaped screws from either side.
FYI, make sure you disconnect the battery before doing any of this. If you don’t, you can completely Brick your car and have to get it towed to the dealer
can you please give full step-by-step details on how to do it. unfortunately I can't purchase your shifter as I live in a right hand drive country. Also pls post youtube links you used.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 12:28 AM   #55
bk6202
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 X40i, 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Final update.

Hey, I was quoted by BMW North Scottsdale a shifter retrofit kit and they said they will be able to program it as well, The total was 5k including labour, Are you sure they weren’t able to program yours? I have attached the part numbers, Disregard the first 2 that’s for the quote on the M Performance Exhaust I received.
18-30-5-A87-F45 SILENCER SYSTEM
18-30-2-464-503 SET, TAILPIPE TRIM
61-31-5-A68-DE7 REPAIR KIT CENTER C
61-31-9-475-056 REPAIR KIT GEARSHIF
65-82-5-A37-1B4 CONTROLLER
Appreciate 1
PJ///M75.50
      04-18-2024, 09:52 AM   #56
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk6202 View Post
Hey, I was quoted by BMW North Scottsdale a shifter retrofit kit and they said they will be able to program it as well, The total was 5k including labour, Are you sure they weren’t able to program yours? I have attached the part numbers, Disregard the first 2 that’s for the quote on the M Performance Exhaust I received.
18-30-5-A87-F45 SILENCER SYSTEM
18-30-2-464-503 SET, TAILPIPE TRIM
61-31-5-A68-DE7 REPAIR KIT CENTER C
61-31-9-475-056 REPAIR KIT GEARSHIF
65-82-5-A37-1B4 CONTROLLER
So the image you attached is giving me an error message that “it can’t be displayed”
but I can still answer your question. My BMW dealer told me at first that for me to use the crystal gear shift console that I installed, they must charge me 1.5 hours to program it before they look into the actual reason I brought my X5 in. Okay I’m fine with that. They then called me back and said that they can’t program it, and instead need to charge me 2 hours to uninstall it and reinstall the original, plus an additional 1.5 hours to re program the original. Then they could look at the actual problem I was having which turned out to be sensor related.
So I don’t know if they really couldn’t program it, or ultimately charging me 3.5 hours of labor was more attractive to them than 1.5 hours. But yes, they told me they couldn’t program it, even though it was working flawlessly. I already miss it
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:59 AM   #57
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyDriver_bimmer View Post
can you please give full step-by-step details on how to do it. unfortunately I can't purchase your shifter as I live in a right hand drive country. Also pls post youtube links you used.
Hey crazyDriver_bimmer
I’m not very good at typing out instructions but I do want to help.
I’m happy to speak on the phone, maybe through WhatsApp at a day and time convenient for both of us in different time zones and go over it with you.
I could also try to track down the videos on YouTube.
Last, if the gear console I’ve posted doesn’t sell, I may reinstall it, and I just bought a GoPro so I could video my install and share it.
Send me a PM and we can discuss!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2024, 02:33 AM   #58
bk6202
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 X40i, 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
So the image you attached is giving me an error message that “it can’t be displayed”
but I can still answer your question. My BMW dealer told me at first that for me to use the crystal gear shift console that I installed, they must charge me 1.5 hours to program it before they look into the actual reason I brought my X5 in. Okay I’m fine with that. They then called me back and said that they can’t program it, and instead need to charge me 2 hours to uninstall it and reinstall the original, plus an additional 1.5 hours to re program the original. Then they could look at the actual problem I was having which turned out to be sensor related.
So I don’t know if they really couldn’t program it, or ultimately charging me 3.5 hours of labor was more attractive to them than 1.5 hours. But yes, they told me they couldn’t program it, even though it was working flawlessly. I already miss it
For some reason gave me an error while uploading but I have the part numbers they gave me in the previous post I made. it is BS for 1.5 Labour hrs to reprogram the previous gear lever because that’s already coded to the vin, it doesn’t need programming, I think the dealer just wants to make money. I live in AZ so dealers want 5k+ for the replacement, I am still thinking about it but Idrive 8 has been super glitchy for me so far. I also had my steering rack replaced under warranty, it took them a month to do that because they had issues programming the first steering rack, then they went ahead got approval from BMW to try to program another new steering rack and that one ended up being able to be programmed. Overall my ownership has been a bit problematic but I still really like my car a lot.
Appreciate 1
PJ///M75.50
      04-25-2024, 06:10 AM   #59
PJ///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 X5 G05 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk6202 View Post
For some reason gave me an error while uploading but I have the part numbers they gave me in the previous post I made. it is BS for 1.5 Labour hrs to reprogram the previous gear lever because that’s already coded to the vin, it doesn’t need programming, I think the dealer just wants to make money. I live in AZ so dealers want 5k+ for the replacement, I am still thinking about it but Idrive 8 has been super glitchy for me so far. I also had my steering rack replaced under warranty, it took them a month to do that because they had issues programming the first steering rack, then they went ahead got approval from BMW to try to program another new steering rack and that one ended up being able to be programmed. Overall my ownership has been a bit problematic but I still really like my car a lot.
Love mine as well. I’m thinking of what another dealership might say to me inquiring about installing and coding my crystal console if I try to give it a shot again.
Problem is I swapped my stock 22”s for a set of Alpina 23”s. I don’t want them to see that because they aren’t spec to the X5. If it’s all a money grab, who knows what they may say. If my console doesn’t sell, I may ask a different dealer when I put the 22”s back on next winter.
Overall love the car, but wish Bimmercode, or one of those coding programs worked on the LCI.
Appreciate 0