BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #23
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post
Do these reviewers EVER take the company's track record regarding reliability into account? What a farce that has to be based on greasing one's palm.

I trust non partisan, owner's accounts as expressed via Consumer Report's very comprehensive surveys.
You mean Consumer Reports that just rated the X5 as the highest ranked luxury SUV? The G05 dethroned the Q7 which used to be their highest ranked. Read this thread on this board...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilling View Post
Fully agree with you. X5 is the best bang for the buck in this category. If money no object, Cayenne. I wouldn't go for Audi/MB.
Yeah Cayenne and RR Sport are usually quite more expensive with more expensive leases.

I grew up with X5s and my folks never got the Cayenne due to price and its compact interior. RR sport is more expensive and boring to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #25
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

Really? BMW makes top ten isn't very surprising...
Top Ten Luxury SUV's:
BMW
Mercedes
Porsche
Lexus
Infinity
Acura
...and a few more...

It would be shocking if BMW, Mercedes and Lexus didn't make that list.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Oh, "Carwow" says the new X5 is the best luxury SUV? Well damn. I better run out and buy one then!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:35 AM   #27
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Do these reviewers EVER take the company's track record regarding reliability into account? What a farce that has to be based on greasing one's palm.

I trust non partisan, owner's accounts as expressed via Consumer Report's very comprehensive surveys.
Laughed so hard!

Common man are u serious??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:29 AM   #28
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Oh, "Carwow" says the new X5 is the best luxury SUV? Well damn. I better run out and buy one then!
You mad about it or?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #29
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Really? BMW makes top ten isn't very surprising...
Top Ten Luxury SUV's:
BMW
Mercedes
Porsche
Lexus
Infinity
Acura
...and a few more...

It would be shocking if BMW, Mercedes and Lexus didn't make that list.
Well there's no Lexus in that list.

However, of course it's not that surprising that the X5 made the list, but they ranked it on the first place,
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

In other news Things have finally caught up with JLR...

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/08/i...ver/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #31
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

doesn't surprise me, love the new x5

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #32
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:

It's just a point of reference in the collective of X5 reviews. If you've been paying attention over the decades you'd realize that CR peddles in reliability (allegedly) and so do outlets like JD Power. That's not what Motortrend, Car and Driver, Road & Track, etc. do. Keep it all in perspective.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #33
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Cool

This car has a lot of bugs, and YOU know it.

I noticed at 5:30 no wrinkled back seats. I hope we're that lucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
You mad about it or?
Since you are a test driver in Croatia, you must have undoubtedly test driven all the SUVs in that video extensively. Please post your review of all cars mentioned, and your opinion of the ranking in the "carwowzerz" video.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #35
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
If you've been paying attention over the decades you'd realize that CR peddles in reliability (allegedly) and so do outlets like JD Power.
Peddles in reliability (allegedly)? They also "peddle" in unreliability based on owners' input. Check out the ratings on Fiat if you want to see what an unreliable car is all about, or the Range Rover, or the Buick Enclave, or the Tesla Model X.

JD Power is NOT a non profit, consumer oriented op like CR is. And "allegedly" by whom? Obviously by those that don't have a friggin clue. The year by year track vehicle records are a collection of what real world owners have reported over the years by model as reflected in bottom line aka OWNER RELIABILITY. It couldn't be more impartial, honest and transparent.

Here's how CR measures, included is a BMW chart for your reading pleasure. April issue which updates all this will be out in a couple of weeks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #36
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Tough crowd tonight. This car has a lot of bugs, and YOU know it.

I noticed at 5:30 no wrinkled back seats. I hope we're that lucky.
A couple things to keep in perspective. Car manufacturers usually have press fleets which rotate on a weekly or biweekly basis to different media outlets/reviewers (in contrast, I believe CR buys their cars). It's possible and likely those reviewers don't experience the same bugs in a week of driving that an owner would. And outlets sampling from press fleets are simply not set up to have the same kind of data CR or JD Power does. It's also possible and likely that many owners don't experience bugs (I hope we're so lucky when we pick ours up later this month); don't forget there are thousands of these things hitting the road every month. It's not a denial of issues just some [optimistic] perspective.
Appreciate 1
Mark609166.50
      02-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #37
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
A couple things to keep in perspective. Car manufacturers usually have press fleets which rotate on a weekly or biweekly basis to different media outlets/reviewers (in contrast, I believe CR buys their cars). It's possible and likely those reviewers don't experience the same bugs in a week of driving that an owner would. And outlets sampling from press fleets are simply not set up to have the same kind of data CR or JD Power does. It's also possible and likely that many owners don't experience bugs (I hope we're so lucky when we pick ours up later this month); don't forget there are thousands of these things hitting the road every month. It's not a denial of issues just some [optimistic] perspective.
I understand and agree.

Curious, what are you going to do if you find the rear seats quite wrinkled?

Holy cow, this morning our my build finally hit:

Awaiting carrier assignment
A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #38
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Peddles in reliability (allegedly)? They also "peddle" in unreliability based on owners' input. Check out the ratings on Fiat if you want to see what an unreliable car is all about, or the Range Rover, or the Buick Enclave, or the Tesla Model X.

JD Power is NOT a non profit, consumer oriented op like CR is. And "allegedly" by whom? Obviously by those that don't have a friggin clue. The year by year track vehicle records are a collection of what real world owners have reported over the years by model as reflected in bottom line aka OWNER RELIABILITY. It couldn't be more impartial, honest and transparent.

Here's how CR measures, included is a BMW chart for your reading pleasure. April issue which updates all this will be out in a couple of weeks.
CR is the best aggregator of real owner data that we have but that doesn't mean it's not without flaws. There has been debate in recent years whether they are getting too much into the business of performance reviews and what that does to their ratings and another big issue has been with modern infotainment systems and whether their complexity or owners' not being well versed in their operation constitute poor reliability in survey responses.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #39
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I understand and agree.

Curious, what are you going to do if you find the rear seats quite wrinkled?

Holy cow, this morning our my build finally hit:

Awaiting carrier assignment
A carrier has been assigned to take care of your BMW.
I'm not sure what we'll do. If it's minimal, nothing. Since this is feedback that BMW has been aware of for months via documented owner complaints and since it should be a pretty straightforward process adjustment at the seat mfr. I'm hoping this issue has gone away. Ours was built 1/29 and we take delivery at the Performance Center on 2/22.

Last edited by gofast182; 02-11-2019 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #40
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what we'll do. If it's minimal, nothing. Since this is feedback that BWM has been aware of for months via documented owner complaints and since it should be a pretty straightforward process adjustment at the seat mfr. I'm hoping this issue has gone away. Ours was built 1/29 and we take delivery at the Performance Center on 2/22.
I share your sentiment of "hoping" too. Good luck!

I still can't believe our local "Genius" tried to tell me "wrinkles are by design. As the car ages the leather will shrink".

Bullshit.......
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #41
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I share your sentiment of "hoping" too. Good luck!

I still can't believe our local "Genius" tried to tell me "wrinkles are by design. As the car ages the leather will shrink".

Bullshit.......
Yeah that's not right. Then why aren't there wrinkles on the front seats? And why wouldn't the front seats rip from not having the slack to take up the shrinking of the leather? Silliness.
Hope yours makes its way to you quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #42
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that's not right. Then why aren't there wrinkles on the front seats?
I asked him precisely that. His response - "sometimes BMW does things and we don't know why".

I just hope our local BMW San Antonio holds themselves accountable for any issues and problems we might have with the car. That's not too much to ask no matter who the manufacturer is. So far they have been incredible, even honoring the bottom line as agreed upon in spite of some rebates changing in their favor. They even short changed themselves on the state sales tax calcuation. After the car club discount we got a total 11.9% off MSRP which aint too shabby.

Right off the bat they came off MSRP to below invoice.

Seems when one local dealership starts to discount brand new releases the other ones follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #43
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

I am convinced you could make a perfect vehicle with perfect reviews and people would still bitch about something like a bunch of cynical Gen Xer's. It's so popular to act like your not satisfied these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #44
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am convinced you could make a perfect vehicle with perfect reviews and people would still bitch about something like a bunch of cynical Gen Xer's. It's so popular to act like your not satisfied these days.
Act??????? Have you been reading these threads? Your implying these folks are making this stuff up and the photos are Photoshopped?

One of the latest shots is of a obvious glue line under the trim on a door.

Pure and simple - it suggests BMW does sloppy work and is not fixing what's been screwed up before carrier assignment.
Appreciate 0