United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
True grit, no country for old men, saving private Ryan,?
Saving Private Ryan is one of the all time greats. But not a Cohen bros. fan here, though I thought Fargo was OK. "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" sucked big time.....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #178
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
I have not seen Paul Blart Mall Cop, but have seen Nutty Professor. Nice popcorn movie.

Every director makes good or bad movies. Nobody makes good movies all the time. What I don't like about Nolan is all his movies are somewhat pretentious and lacking authenticity and I would call them "pseudo intellect". They pretend to be serious but looking deeper they are somewhat superficial.

Black Panther does not pretend to be anything but a piece of entertainment. Of course it's more than that. As I said there is a timeless humanity. The fight scene on water on the mountain cliff was one of the most original scenes I have seen lately (along with Ben Hur horse race scene) albeit at a smaller scale but no less grit. I am sure both guys and girls can find something they like in that scene.
I really can't disagree with anything that you've said here other than my opinion on The Nutty Professor movies. I'd rather be the recipient of a solid direct punch to the testicles than to watch any of those movies. Being subjected to certain stimuli, I can actually feel the decrescence of my I.Q. I can't help but feel like The Klumps, Paul Blart and country music are all somehow related in this manner. Somewhere in a distant remote volcanic underground lair, there is an evil mastermind using these tools against society to level the playing field. It's the dumbing down of those who oppose and the smartening up of those who are fans.

To clarify, the latter of the examples given - If at any point on a Wednesday you have quoted the "Hump Day Camel" from Geico commercials in an attempt to be humorous you are definitely defined as the latter.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #179
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I really can't disagree with anything that you've said here other than my opinion on The Nutty Professor movies. I'd rather be the recipient of a solid direct punch to the testicles than to watch any of those movies. Being subjected to certain stimuli, I can actually feel the decrescence of my I.Q. I can't help but feel like The Klumps, Paul Blart and country music are all somehow related in this manner. Somewhere in a distant remote volcanic underground lair, there is an evil mastermind using these tools against society to level the playing field. It's the dumbing down of those who oppose and the smartening up of those who are fans.
I would say there is some great country music out there. Willie, Waylon, and the boys. Johnny Cash. Great, thoughtful stuff. Be nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #180
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I would say there is some great country music out there. Willie, Waylon, and the boys. Johnny Cash. Great, thoughtful stuff. Be nice!
You are correct. I feel like I should clarify. The "New" or "Bro Country" music is what I'm referring to. My apologies. Classic country I have no problems with.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #181
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
I have not seen Paul Blart Mall Cop, but have seen Nutty Professor. Nice popcorn movie.

Every director makes good or bad movies. Nobody makes good movies all the time. What I don't like about Nolan is all his movies are somewhat pretentious and lacking authenticity and I would call them "pseudo intellect". They pretend to be serious but looking deeper they are somewhat superficial.

Black Panther does not pretend to be anything but a piece of entertainment. Of course it's more than that. As I said there is a timeless humanity. The fight scene on water on the mountain cliff was one of the most original scenes I have seen lately (along with Ben Hur horse race scene) albeit at a smaller scale but no less grit. I am sure both guys and girls can find something they like in that scene.
Just say you didn't like it. I don't find Nolan movies pretentious or "psuedo intellectual" at all. Just well thought out and well produced. Even the ones I didn't care for (The Dark Knight) I would consider well produced.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #182
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Just say you didn't like it. I don't find Nolan movies pretentious or "psuedo intellectual" at all. Just well thought out and well produced. Even the ones I didn't care for (The Dark Knight) I would consider well produced.
I don't mean to be disrespectful to Nolan or his fans but I would categorize all his movies (especially those of late) as Big, Bigger and Biggest. His next movie should be titled "Less is More". His movies are just crying out for some much needed subtleties. I mean to pay to see a movie for purely entertainment - no more no less. If I need a lesson in philosophy, I read a book at least it's free.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #183
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Saving Private Ryan is one of the all time greats. But not a Cohen bros. fan here, though I thought Fargo was OK. "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" sucked big time.....
I can agree about buster Scruggs but no country may be my all time favorite, hard to say though like ton of em.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 02-11-2019 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #184
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
If at any point on a Wednesday you have quoted the "Hump Day Camel" from Geico commercials in an attempt to be humorous you are definitely defined as the latter.
But if it's just used as a ring tone, I'm good?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #185
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Huge Peter Jackson fan! Recently watched MORTAL ENGINES. Great movie!
      02-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #186
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Hmm didnt even put on my list, looked retarded
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #187
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Hmm didnt even put on my list, looked retarded
I was looking forward to this movie until I heard how much if flopped at the office and the amount of money they lost. I'll still pick it up on 4k
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #188
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I went by myself to see They Shall Not Grow Old last night. I'm moved by the sheer potential of the human race. I'm equally worried for the US, fearful that a Civil War is just around the corner, waiting to ignite.

When prisoners were taken, while there was still some visible animosity among combatants, there was also a huge realization that "Gerry" wasn't really all that different than your or I. Just doing what he was told, by his politicians. I imagine many of you distinguished veterans discovered that among all but the most heinous of your adversaries?

WTF is wrong with British oral health, though? These were 16-25 yo men who had no freaking teeth. The spoke about their kit including a toothbrush, but then said that was used almost exclusively to polish their buttons . . .

The final scene of the bandoliers, whom many we had seen before. The one poor kid was so shell-shocked it was hard to watch.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      02-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #189
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I went by myself to see They Shall Not Grow Old last night. I'm moved by the sheer potential of the human race. I'm equally worried for the US, fearful that a Civil War is just around the corner, waiting to ignite.

When prisoners were taken, while there was still some visible animosity among combatants, there was also a huge realization that "Gerry" wasn't really all that different than your or I. Just doing what he was told, by his politicians. I imagine many of you distinguished veterans discovered that among all but the most heinous of your adversaries?

WTF is wrong with British oral health, though? These were 16-25 yo men who had no freaking teeth. The spoke about their kit including a toothbrush, but then said that was used almost exclusively to polish their buttons . . .

The final scene of the bandoliers, whom many we had seen before. The one poor kid was so shell-shocked it was hard to watch.
The kid with the shaking right hand, walking up the path? Haunting.

As for as teeth go, we are only seeing English kids. Other nations probably had equally bad, if not worse, oral health back then.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #190
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The kid with the shaking right hand, walking up the path? Haunting.

As for as teeth go, we are only seeing English kids. Other nations probably had equally bad, if not worse, oral health back then.
No, it was a blonde kid with WIDE eyes, as they were waiting in the slight valley. The kid looked almost like the black lab with the eyes that everyone uses for a meme.

If you watched the after-event where the director actually went to the place to get a good idea of the color for the ground/grass. He was in the exact same location. In that follow-up, they were able to show some of the same guys from multiple scenes that you might not have caught watching the whole movie.

The kid with that shaking hand, I just couldn't decide if that was psychosomatic or maybe he got gassed.

Seeing that gas creeping across the field towards the camera, I get a shiver even now.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #191
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I was looking forward to this movie until I heard how much if flopped at the office and the amount of money they lost. I'll still pick it up on 4k
Peter Jackson knows how to do movies!

ALITA also flopped, but I very much look forward to seeing it too.
      02-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #192
heatwave
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Happy Death Day
Finally got to watching it and actually thought it was pretty good. Love time loop types stories. Does it pretty well and some good humour.
didn't know there was a sequel out this week.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #193
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Peter Jackson knows how to do movies!
Really? I thought his Lord of the Rings were kind of boring ... grand but boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #194
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Really? I thought his Lord of the Rings were kind of boring ... grand but boring.
Whoa whoa there grasshopper! Don't talk about LOTR/HOBBIT
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #195
heatwave
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Overlord
Pretty gorey and violent nazi horror movie. Was entertaining enough but was expecting better.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #196
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can hear the record scratch in my head after reading this. Whaaaa???

I've never heard such a thing. This was like hearing someone say they took ecstasy and had a bad time.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
      02-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #197
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Whoa whoa there grasshopper! Don't talk about LOTR/HOBBIT
No kidding. Overall... As a franchise (all 3 films) my absolute favorite movies!
It hits on everything I enjoy in a film except for SciFi:
Action
Special Effects
Humor
Solid acting
Excellent story
Fantasy

Life is full of Drama. I tend not to go out of my way to watch them. I do understand and appreciate the great acting associated with Drama. But give me: Fantasy, Action, Sci-Fi for my $$$.
      02-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #198
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
I can hear the record scratch in my head after reading this. Whaaaa???

I've never heard such a thing. This was like hearing someone say they took ecstasy and had a bad time.
This.