BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #89
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Always love the folks who are quick to dismiss any negative comments on a car they are probably blindly in love with. OP posts his dissatisfaction for his X5, and people think it's fake news or posted by a competitor. Unreal.

But I guess some here have large enough leases to where they better love it to bits, right?

For me, negative comments are part of what makes this forum so valuable. This is how we learn what works, what doesn't work, and how we learn to make adjustments for those who aren't prone to reading the manual. The OP that started this thread wasn't a negative comment. It was a rant by an owner who admittedly didn't bother test driving the car but then has no problem spending time complaining about a laundry list of things that he/she should of or could have known before they put down their hard-earned cash. Most of the OP was probably subjective I guess. I, for example, don't have any issues with the issues listed in the OP. The point that make me question the post as a whole is the comment about power being "meh".

If the OP had mentioned a problem or two or three and asked if others are having this problem or asked for advice, that would have been great. The poster would have learned something and the readers would have learned something. Instead, the poster comes out guns blazing and showing hate for the car without taking the time to learn about it first.
Appreciate 3
P111541.50
goenkar17.50
      02-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #90
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
And they should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless he got the one oddball vehicle produced, some of the items he mentioned are so far off base from reality that they must be a gross exaggeration or designed to agitate. I would recommend looking at all of the other reviews and postings before forming an opinion.
Oh absolutely! I've spoken with members here who have received their X5 and really enjoying it. And I am still very interested if I can find a dealer not trying to f*** me over.
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12882.00
sygazelle11101.50
      02-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #91
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles549 View Post
I'm driving away from the dealership like an idiot trying to figure out why the freaking car won't go faster than 43mph!
Not feeling good about this.

The super deal and good looks is moot if you get a car that's not ready for prime time. Sales sent me pix of the rear seats. They have wrinkles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #92
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
For me, negative comments are part of what makes this forum so valuable. This is how we learn what works, what doesn't work, and how we learn to make adjustments for those who aren't prone to reading the manual. The OP that started this thread wasn't a negative comment. It was a rant by an owner who admittedly didn't bother test driving the car but then has no problem spending time complaining about a laundry list of things that he/she should of or could have known before they put down their hard-earned cash. Most of the OP was probably subjective I guess. I, for example, don't have any issues with the issues listed in the OP. The point that make me question the post as a whole is the comment about power being "meh".

If the OP had mentioned a problem or two or three and asked if others are having this problem or asked for advice, that would have been great. The poster would have learned something and the readers would have learned something. Instead, the poster comes out guns blazing and showing hate for the car without taking the time to learn about it first.
There should be NO laundry list. This crap may be acceptable to some. Not this cowboy. I guess I have different standards regarding what I get for my hard earned money.

What's there to learn? It either works 100% as it should or it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #93
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark609 View Post

The super deal and good looks is moot if you get a car that's not ready for prime time. Sales sent me pix of the rear seats. They have wrinkles.
The driver doesn’t understand how to use the car and you say the car is not ready for prime time.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      02-19-2019, 05:50 PM   #94
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles549 View Post
I'm driving away from the dealership like an idiot trying to figure out why the freaking car won't go faster than 43mph!

Every single car thus far delivered and pics posted has back seat wrinkles. Some are very bad, some are less so. But they all have them. To not have wrinkles is to choose a different vehicle. :
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #95
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Always love the folks who are quick to dismiss any negative comments on a car they are probably blindly in love with. OP posts his dissatisfaction for his X5, and people think it's fake news or posted by a competitor. Unreal.

But I guess some here have large enough leases to where they better love it to bits, right?
Totally agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate the perspective offered by the OP. He didn’t just blithely state “this car sucks”, but instead took the reader through his thoughts and reasoning. Why should the OP’s opinion be dismissed, or rendered less valuable than someone’s post about liking their G05?
Appreciate 1
rebekahb3128.50
      02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #96
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There should be NO laundry list. This crap may be acceptable to some. Not this cowboy. I guess I have different standards regarding what I get for my hard earned money.

Wait, I thought you bought a G05. Did you cancel your order?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #97
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
The driver doesn’t understand how to use the car and you say the car is not ready for prime time.
That guy is just an old troll with a new name. He doesn’t have a G05, never will and just enjoys pissing on everybody’s parade.
Appreciate 4
TurtleBoy12882.00
530iDriver1707.50
jasrboyd123.50
wrickem2101.00
      02-19-2019, 06:19 PM   #98
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
After reading this comment I figured the only thing a helpful person such as myself can do is try and find you a vehicle where you won't have to learn anything. Being it is the 21st century that eliminates all vehicles currently being produced but looking around a bit I was able to find one that should perfectly fit your needs, desires and expectations. You may be able to get a real smoking deal on it if you have some brontosaurus burgers to trade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
goenkar17.50
jasrboyd123.50
Minnie38.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      02-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #99
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

!!! The OP lit the match and left the building. This thread is on fire
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #100
XAmbassador12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post

He has the absolute right to, though, doesn’t he? It’s his money.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #101
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Appreciate 1
1230vani637.00
      02-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #102
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

This is getting good
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #103
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAmbassador12 View Post
He has the absolute right to, though, doesn’t he? It’s his money.
Of course he does. No argument there. But free speech goes both ways. Posts like the OP are designed to get reaction. Why is anybody surprised there is reaction. Better yet, why is anybody surprised there the op has left the building.
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy12882.00
530iDriver1707.50
      02-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #104
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

So I've calmed down after a few days and I'm feeling less angry at the issues my brand new luxury German automobile was born with. Truthfully, I was pissed off after a long, annoying road trip, and some of the anger at the car was over the top. I've come to terms with the fact that there are design and execution issues that BMW is still working on. I have no patience for poor customer service and I'm not happy with spending $80k to get anything in beta, but I'm serene now, so here are my serene thoughts:

I'd spent the time on the trip trying to learn how to mesh with the driver assistance and really just fought with it the whole time. In my humble opinion, it's not good. Not well executed. My only comparison is with a Volvo V90 that I drove in the UK last year for a month. I really liked that system...not as aggressive, not as intrusive, and no sudden jerks of the wheel a la the G05. My G05 ping pongs on the open highway to the point of causing mild nausea. Imagine being in the car with a bad driver who wanders back and forth constantly "driving" the steering wheel. You'd relieve him of driving duties and show him how a steady driver stays steady. There are other issues with the AD, but all in all, I'm really not happy with it, especially remembering this is an 80k Bmw.

My anger was compounded by connectivity issues...wife's and my iPhone XS suddenly weren't connected, and wouldn't get reconnected until I stopped, switched off car for a few minutes and got restarted. This happened thrice in one day. Annoying.

The AC sucked on the trip and I was mad at that. I'm definitely eating crow on that one though, as I was taught by a kind hearted soul here that the setting for air mixture is now buried in the idrive. Problem solved, crow eaten. Tastes bad.

I really got torqued with genius and assist too. Calling to resolve connected app not working resulted in getting dismissed with a "wait 24-48 hrs, mm k? bye". Or got bounced from assist to genius, and vice versa. My 7th call I got a nice polite lady (her name was Ray) and in 10 seconds she had me update apps and bingo, connected app working.

I mentioned power was meh. That didn't sit well with some of the commentariat. Meh was too harsh a word. Apologies. I came out of my 50i F15 the day before, so anything less is plainly going to feel a bit meh. Since I'm still going easy on the car at this early mileage, I haven't thrashed to red line under sport +. But moving around in traffic under normal driving, it isn't that exciting. I regret not going with the 50i. Its torque is apparent no matter if it's being babied during a run in or not.

I made some comparisons to my daughters new Atlas. Sorry for blaspheming, but for $32k, she got a level of tech that was not terribly short of that in my G05. Assisted driving..check (and works about the same) Easy to use touchscreen and infotainment...check. And quite a smooth ride. Put it this way...after driving my G05, daughter and SIL were feeling really good about their Atlas purchase and I was feeling a bit vexed about my 2.5x more expensive G05 purchase.

The luxury seating package is not especially luxurious. Massage seats seemed glorious on my first day drive home, but on a trip they weren't that noticeable. Rear seats have some crinkling, like has been described in other threads.

I'm looking at replacing the Bridgestone a/s RFTs (20") with summer tires (non rft, I got the spare tire option) to improve the ride, which has (IMHO) got some harshness in it that wasn't as apparent in my F15 with pzeros.

Other things that contributed to my annoyance: BMW store not available, digital key not available with iPhone (according to genius who said forget it for now), Laser lights not being very noticeable despite the marketing.

To sum up, I'm wasn't particularly happy with have just bought a new vehicle that doesn't seems to be a much of an upgrade from my F15 in terms of ride, with plenty of tech teething issues, and questionable support. But my wife likes it (it's ostensibly hers anyway) and I'm not as churlish toward it as I was. I turned off most of the drivers assist functions and will hope for some good fixes.

BTW, I'm not a Russian bot or a Mercedes plant. Promise.
Appreciate 8
wrickem2101.00
ctestb79.00
gtank116.00
Minnie38.50
rebekahb3128.50
Wild Blue3676.50
      02-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #105
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
I'd spent the time on the trip trying to learn how to mesh with the driver assistance and really just fought with it the whole time. In my humble opinion, it's not good. Not well executed. My only comparison is with a Volvo V90 that I drove in the UK last year for a month. I really liked that system...not as aggressive, not as intrusive, and no sudden jerks of the wheel a la the G05. My G05 ping pongs on the open highway to the point of causing mild nausea. Imagine being in the car with a bad driver who wanders back and forth constantly "driving" the steering wheel. You'd relieve him of driving duties and show him how a steady driver stays steady. There are other issues with the AD, but all in all, I'm really not happy with it, especially remembering this is an 80k Bmw. .
This is totally opposite of what I have been experiencing with the system. It is very smooth and keeps the vehicle centered in the lane at various speeds and through turns.

I know it seems like a dumb question but I have to ask it since I have read here or on another forum of it happening - you are turning on the ACC with steering intervention and not just relying on the lane departure right? There was someone complaining about ping ponging and it turned out they never engaged the system and was just using the lane departure with steering intervention. Also, at what level do you have the intervention set to? Mine is set to Medium and it seems to do well.

Are you getting any errors concerning the driver assistance systems? There were some bad KAFAS units that once replaced seem to eliminate issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #106
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

There is no doubt that BMW tried for a home run on the tech and just didn’t get there yet. Love the car, but the technology is out of control. So I am with you OP, the thing should work. As far as tires, every BMW I’ve owned has improved with the non RFTs.

I can see why BMW felt they had to go nuts on the tech, it has become common even in cheap SUVs and many companies throw it in at no charge.

I’m on vacation and am driving a Durango for the first time. It was originally based on some Mercedes tech. With the Hemi and crazy discounts it can be had for mid 40s loaded and the drive is respectable. Not BMW but shows the pressure on the premium SUVs.

BMW interior is obviously way better, but 40K better? I can see why BMW really stretched.
Appreciate 1
Minnie38.50
      02-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #107
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
There is no doubt that BMW tried for a home run on the tech and just didn’t get there yet. Love the car, but the technology is out of control. So I am with you OP, the thing should work. As far as tires, every BMW I’ve owned has improved with the non RFTs.

I can see why BMW felt they had to go nuts on the tech, it has become common even in cheap SUVs and many companies throw it in at no charge.

I’m on vacation and am driving a Durango for the first time. It was originally based on some Mercedes tech. With the Hemi and crazy discounts it can be had for mid 40s loaded and the drive is respectable. Not BMW but shows the pressure on the premium SUVs.

BMW interior is obviously way better, but 40K better? I can see why BMW really stretched.
I would say BMW top trim is easily $60k better than any Dodge. Durango build quality in every way is rubish and not a luxury SUV even in Citadel trim. I owned a Limited Durango with the Hemi years ago. Nice family hauler with some grunt but Dodge build quality was appalling compared to Jeep which I went back to. I would always get a Citadel as a loaner when my Summit was being serviced.

Last edited by MystroX5; 02-20-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      02-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #108
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After reading this comment I figured the only thing a helpful person such as myself can do is try and find you a vehicle where you won't have to learn anything. Being it is the 21st century that eliminates all vehicles currently being produced but looking around a bit I was able to find one that should perfectly fit your needs, desires and expectations. You may be able to get a real smoking deal on it if you have some brontosaurus burgers to trade.
And of course you got the spare option for little more than the cost for a rock.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #109
ScotsWhaHaeWi
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is totally opposite of what I have been experiencing with the system. It is very smooth and keeps the vehicle centered in the lane at various speeds and through turns.

I know it seems like a dumb question but I have to ask it since I have read here or on another forum of it happening - you are turning on the ACC with steering intervention and not just relying on the lane departure right? There was someone complaining about ping ponging and it turned out they never engaged the system and was just using the lane departure with steering intervention. Also, at what level do you have the intervention set to? Mine is set to Medium and it seems to do well.

Are you getting any errors concerning the driver assistance systems? There were some bad KAFAS units that once replaced seem to eliminate issues.
Appreciate the suggestion. Yes ACC with steering. I couldn't detect much of a diff between early/medium etc. I tried all combos. The best seems to be to turn off the collision and lane steering for now and just go with the basics, or just go distance control and pray they'll bring a higher level of function to the system sooner rather than later.

No errors showing up.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #110
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsWhaHaeWi View Post
So I've calmed down after a few days and I'm feeling less angry at the issues my brand new luxury German automobile was born with. Truthfully, I was pissed off after a long, annoying road trip, and some of the anger at the car was over the top. I've come to terms with the fact that there are design and execution issues that BMW is still working on. I have no patience for poor customer service and I'm not happy with spending $80k to get anything in beta, but I'm serene now, so here are my serene thoughts:

I'd spent the time on the trip trying to learn how to mesh with the driver assistance and really just fought with it the whole time. In my humble opinion, it's not good. Not well executed. My only comparison is with a Volvo V90 that I drove in the UK last year for a month. I really liked that system...not as aggressive, not as intrusive, and no sudden jerks of the wheel a la the G05. My G05 ping pongs on the open highway to the point of causing mild nausea. Imagine being in the car with a bad driver who wanders back and forth constantly "driving" the steering wheel. You'd relieve him of driving duties and show him how a steady driver stays steady. There are other issues with the AD, but all in all, I'm really not happy with it, especially remembering this is an 80k Bmw.

My anger was compounded by connectivity issues...wife's and my iPhone XS suddenly weren't connected, and wouldn't get reconnected until I stopped, switched off car for a few minutes and got restarted. This happened thrice in one day. Annoying.

The AC sucked on the trip and I was mad at that. I'm definitely eating crow on that one though, as I was taught by a kind hearted soul here that the setting for air mixture is now buried in the idrive. Problem solved, crow eaten. Tastes bad.

I really got torqued with genius and assist too. Calling to resolve connected app not working resulted in getting dismissed with a "wait 24-48 hrs, mm k? bye". Or got bounced from assist to genius, and vice versa. My 7th call I got a nice polite lady (her name was Ray) and in 10 seconds she had me update apps and bingo, connected app working.

I mentioned power was meh. That didn't sit well with some of the commentariat. Meh was too harsh a word. Apologies. I came out of my 50i F15 the day before, so anything less is plainly going to feel a bit meh. Since I'm still going easy on the car at this early mileage, I haven't thrashed to red line under sport +. But moving around in traffic under normal driving, it isn't that exciting. I regret not going with the 50i. Its torque is apparent no matter if it's being babied during a run in or not.

I made some comparisons to my daughters new Atlas. Sorry for blaspheming, but for $32k, she got a level of tech that was not terribly short of that in my G05. Assisted driving..check (and works about the same) Easy to use touchscreen and infotainment...check. And quite a smooth ride. Put it this way...after driving my G05, daughter and SIL were feeling really good about their Atlas purchase and I was feeling a bit vexed about my 2.5x more expensive G05 purchase.

The luxury seating package is not especially luxurious. Massage seats seemed glorious on my first day drive home, but on a trip they weren't that noticeable. Rear seats have some crinkling, like has been described in other threads.

I'm looking at replacing the Bridgestone a/s RFTs (20") with summer tires (non rft, I got the spare tire option) to improve the ride, which has (IMHO) got some harshness in it that wasn't as apparent in my F15 with pzeros.

Other things that contributed to my annoyance: BMW store not available, digital key not available with iPhone (according to genius who said forget it for now), Laser lights not being very noticeable despite the marketing.

To sum up, I'm wasn't particularly happy with have just bought a new vehicle that doesn't seems to be a much of an upgrade from my F15 in terms of ride, with plenty of tech teething issues, and questionable support. But my wife likes it (it's ostensibly hers anyway) and I'm not as churlish toward it as I was. I turned off most of the drivers assist functions and will hope for some good fixes.

BTW, I'm not a Russian bot or a Mercedes plant. Promise.
Glad to hear that you have calmed down. You made some good points and I would expect a lot from a vehicle at this price point.

Also good to hear that your not a Russian Bot
Appreciate 1