BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2024, 09:51 PM   #1
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

MHD Stage I with MHD unlocker

Just tuned my 2019 x5 40i with stage 1. I had locked DME, so I went and got the new MHD unlocker. It'll work on any pre-06.2020. You don't even have to remove the DME. You just unplug all the plugs in the DME, hook this up to plugs 1 and 5, connect to battery in the engine bay and run the MHD app. Probably look less than 10 minutes and most of that was just physically exposing the DME, then plugging everything back in.

Its a little different than a shop unlock- you need an active mhd license on the VIN you are unlocking. I'm not 100% sure if it'll only unlock MHD, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to buy a license and then flash something else. The big benefit is you don't have to worry about an update locking you again.

Anyhow, after the unlock the flash procedure is uneventful. The normal flash process detects a bench unlocked dme. Pick your settings and away you go. I started with a stage I 93 map since I'm stock and unless I'm traveling, no need to a lower 91. I did it all with a hard enet cable to ethernet adapter and it was 1:40 for a first time flash.

The difference is pretty huge. Before it felt ok for a big car, but not particularly fast. Respectable when you punched it. Now it takes off like like something the size of the x5 shouldn't. No plans to dyno, but the claimed 60- 70hp is completely believable. Even more than that the hit in the lower mid-range is huge.

I tried the burbles, but with a stock exhaust I couldn't really hear anything. Same with the startup roar. Maybe I'll try again with the windows open. Honestly I still want it quiet for long trips.

Anyhow, totally worth the effort. I'm hoping I can unlock a few other cars to spread the tool cost around, but if not still not bad for such a massive change.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:47 AM   #2
Dsmdrew
Private
Rep
Drives: Go5

You will not get burpels even on stage 2. And the start up roar sounds like crap
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Dsmdrew
Private
Rep

I have mhd stage2 and xhp stage 3 with 200 cell cat no snaps at all. Cutting thw center muffler soon and strait piping it soon see if that works. If not mpe here I come

Last edited by Dsmdrew; 04-10-2024 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 09:57 AM   #4
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmdrew View Post
You will not get burpels even on stage 2. And the start up roar sounds like crap
Yah, I’ll probably just turn it off. I read elsewhere all it really does is lower fuel economy a bit. Kinda pointless unless you can hear it well.

Do you know if the car can run e85 stock or does it need fueling changes?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #5
Dsmdrew
Private
Rep

I don't know
Appreciate 0